Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I just wish it wasn’t so drat hard to get people to close the drat ice bins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are you going to clone Boomers from the blood mosquitos sucked before they were caught in a grease trap?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well for the schedule that just went up I have 4 hours. I think "they want you gone" is turning out to be the right answer. I'd quit right now if it didn't feel like they won.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sankis posted:

Well for the schedule that just went up I have 4 hours. I think "they want you gone" is turning out to be the right answer. I'd quit right now if it didn't feel like they won.

In many states you can file for and collect unemployment if your hours are suddenly cut to well below what you've been averaging for the past 6 months. The local governments are long since wise to the "oh no, you aren't fired, we just aren't giving you any hours" unemployment comp avoidance game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Not sure if work hosed up my vacation pay or I just had way less hours than I was told I had or what. It sure is nice having some of the perks I have, like, health insurance ( medical care is a perk :shepface: ) but it sure would also be nice to, I dunno. Have money?

Also my department is hilariously hosed up right now and I only finished 75% of my truck last night. Thought about staying until they were setting the store alarms, another half hour or so- realized I could do that and it would accomplish marginally more work, pay me a whopping four dollars, and piss me off. Clocked out on time. Informed the manager.

"Yeah, I knew you weren't going to finish as soon as I saw your schedule."

OK then

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/amazon-gamifies-its-warehouse-work-like-tetris-but-with-real-boxes/

I know we have an Amazon worker or two here, curious on your thoughts on this?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

"I always get cash back from a debit card return here. I don't shop anywhere else"

I mean it's actually impossible for us to do a debit card return as cash but ok.

Really, I love the "i shop here all the time so i know better than you, the person who works here" thing. It hardly ever works here.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

"I know for a fact that [product in a cooler bolted to the floor and plumbed into the water system] was [somewhere else] last week, you should really stop moving everything around."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That poo poo sounds so Amazon. I really have no thoughts on it other than that. I'd have to see/play them myself to really have an opinion. Though at the same time I feel I'd be in the "play once, never play again" group since in most paths I end up in I'm considered a great worker since I always hit rate...but there are some people out there who are in a league of their own.

I want to give actual numbers to say how crazy some people are but the one thing they remind us of is we're not supposed to actually state our rates and SA doesn't feel anonymous enough for me to do that. Big Brother Peccy Is Watching. :tinfoil: Yes the rates do exist and honestly it's like any other job: if management wants to fire you you're fired. They're just another tool in the toolbox for them to use or ignore.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Alkydere posted:

honestly it's like any other job: if management wants to fire you you're fired.

Uhh where I work management can't get fired because we have durable contracts specifying the position, requirements and KSAs and all the employees are unionized and so can't be fired because they've got a CBA so you've gotta officially gently caress up* to get fired on either end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Uhh where I work management can't get fired because we have durable contracts specifying the position, requirements and KSAs and all the employees are unionized and so can't be fired because they've got a CBA so you've gotta officially gently caress up* to get fired on either end.

I think he meant like like any baseline job like retail or amazon worker. Glad your place has a CBA, but that’s obviously the minority of jobs, especially entry level jobs, at this point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't you work in a hospital as an anesthesiologist or something?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol, a CBA in retail

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Retail workers should unionize is what I'm saying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thanks for that great and not at all obvious idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Workers of the world should *checks notes*
unite?!?!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i've been under the impression that contracts and laws and such are less "no hey you can't fire this guy" and more "if you fire this guy you will get fragged by all these different fines and punishments so if you want to do it then lol go for it"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

if this goes nuts and the future of work is video games i can't say for sure if we've done something right or wrong. like drat if i can just lean back and play super metroid for money i'd be into it, but it also sounds like "Chinese inmates are forced to make WoW gold during their sentence."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I wonder how these same managers would respond to the die of gamifying their own jobs? I bet they'd think it was demeaning and childish. Probably feel insulted. Probably prefer actual tangible motivations, like wages and benefits, financial security, sick days, realistic goals and enough time to accomplish them.

If companies want to manipulate the minds of workers to milk every last bit of productivity out of them, I'd rather they just put adderall in the loving water or something

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I guess the cart guy put a bunch of carts in a way that makes it so when you park at the store next door you can't just walk between the support beams by the front door, you gotta walk around. So a lady comes in all huffy and asks "did you guys intentionally do that? Block the way?" I went out to see what she meant cause it sounded like someone formed a barricade blocking the roadway, saw it was something as minor as requiring her to walk 5 whole seconds to go around, and she gave me a look of eternal hate when I said "Wasn't me, must've been the cart guy."

I hate entitled assholes. But thats ok. I'm free for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Retail workers should unionize is what I'm saying.

Idiot retail workers not knowing that they could have just unionized this whole time.

Rainbow Knight posted:

if this goes nuts and the future of work is video games i can't say for sure if we've done something right or wrong. like drat if i can just lean back and play super metroid for money i'd be into it, but it also sounds like "Chinese inmates are forced to make WoW gold during their sentence."

The more I think about it, I think I would like it for about a day, and hate it within the month. It just would feel false and contrived to me. My thought would be “so you can’t trust us to do our job, so you have to trick us?”

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Idiot retail workers not knowing that they could have just unionized this whole time.

Food: $200
Data: $150
Rent: $900
Healthcare: lol
Utilities: $100

Someone who is good at money, please help me

"Seize the means of production"

no

Leal posted:

I guess the cart guy put a bunch of carts in a way that makes it so when you park at the store next door you can't just walk between the support beams by the front door, you gotta walk around. So a lady comes in all huffy and asks "did you guys intentionally do that? Block the way?" I went out to see what she meant cause it sounded like someone formed a barricade blocking the roadway, saw it was something as minor as requiring her to walk 5 whole seconds to go around, and she gave me a look of eternal hate when I said "Wasn't me, must've been the cart guy."

I hate entitled assholes. But thats ok. I'm free for a while.

People complain about the dumbest poo poo, constantly. Big fan of the people who, having received an answer they didn't like, wander off to another department which then radios you to ask you the same loving question.

Why don't you have this coffee creamer
Why did the labels on the milk change
Why do you have cans, and bottles, but not aluminum bottles

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Duckman2008 posted:

The more I think about it, I think I would like it for about a day, and hate it within the month. It just would feel false and contrived to me. My thought would be “so you can’t trust us to do our job, so you have to trick us?”

It would be like you’re trapped in a tv show for kindergarteners.

Can you find the blue box? Wow! You did it!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Like it legitimately boggles my mind that we haven't seen blockbuster expose articles on Bezos using prison labor. That's the next step before full automation and I cannot believe that he hasn't gotten onto that grift in some aspects of his corporation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

Like it legitimately boggles my mind that we haven't seen blockbuster expose articles on Bezos using prison labor. That's the next step before full automation and I cannot believe that he hasn't gotten onto that grift in some aspects of his corporation.

That's the very last thing he needs, PR and labor wise. He's probably content to be considered one of the only book sources for prisons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My question for Amazon is, with the rumor of their self-driving delivery cars...how the gently caress do you insure the customer only takes their box and not every single one in the truck?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My question for Amazon is, with the rumor of their self-driving delivery cars...how the gently caress do you insure the customer only takes their box and not every single one in the truck?

Set it up like the Amazon Lockers where each box is in its own locked cubby and your code only opens the door for your box.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Simple: you promise the moon and then put a few office interns on it just so you look like you're doing something as their office generates promotional material and then do jack poo poo because the idea of self driving vehicles with modern technology is laughable.

Amazon knows what automation can and can't do because the entire company is based around it. Amazon engineers intimately familiar with the frustrations of just getting a robot arm to stack the company's standardized yellow plastic item totes in a controlled environment. A self driving car on a road full of humans? Yeah not happening.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought Amazon was gonna be delivering stuff with drones. Whatever happened with that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leal posted:

I thought Amazon was gonna be delivering stuff with drones. Whatever happened with that?

:henget:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Simple: you promise the moon and then put a few office interns on it just so you look like you're doing something as their office generates promotional material and then do jack poo poo because the idea of self driving vehicles with modern technology is laughable.

Amazon knows what automation can and can't do because the entire company is based around it. Amazon engineers intimately familiar with the frustrations of just getting a robot arm to stack the company's standardized yellow plastic item totes in a controlled environment. A self driving car on a road full of humans? Yeah not happening.

Uh, you realize that this is a huge area of investment, with actual breakthroughs and actual self driving car pilots programs, and autonomous cars and trucks are like 5 years out at this point, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno about 5 years out, but the technology will be ready long, long before a majority of humans (especially Americans) become willing to accept it

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Both of the previous two posts encapsulate every possible side of this argument and I heartily urge further commentary on it to be run through a filter of "what does this have to do with bitching about retail" before posting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cause the robots will end our suffering in working retail, by taking all our jobs.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Leal posted:

Cause the robots will end our suffering in working retail, by taking all our jobs.

See i feel there will still be a human element because theyll need at least one guy where a customer can come in and break his spirit. A designated employee punching bag if you will.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:awesomelon: : Sorry member/guest/Valued customer but my statistics show us operating at nominal efficiency. We, however, know you yearn to feel better than your fellow humans, and we will now deploy Dave so that you can take any unwarranted aggression on him.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Can't wait until my store burns down because the Tesla Robo-Truck identified a rear wall as the loading dock, backed into it and exploded in an Electro-Musk holocaust

Whenever they come up with the stupid robo-cashier things, they better make it so the loving thing can bag. If it can't, American customers will riot.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Can't wait until my store burns down because the Tesla Robo-Truck identified a rear wall as the loading dock, backed into it and exploded in an Electro-Musk holocaust

Whenever they come up with the stupid robo-cashier things, they better make it so the loving thing can bag. If it can't, American customers will riot.

I cant wait for the robo-cashier to gain emotions and decide that the extremely rude customer is, in fact, a plastic bag to be opened and stuff with items. Wal-net will begin that day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There was some bitch on a news talk show today talking about how the future is with robots, and no one in trucking or even retail is safe, because soon all the jobs will be done by robots....and that segued into talk about a monthly stipend for people because they won't have jobs and there are only so many robot repair tech spots open.

Then she added how technically the jobs robots will one day do instead of humans aren't REALLY hard jobs and anyone can do them, and she hates the idea of paying people to be lazy, because those jobs are pretty mindless and easy to do. Says the oval office whose job is literally to talk about her opinion for four loving hours about how lazy other people are. Oh, and can't forget she added that when she was a kid, her dad lost in his job in the steel mill but went back to school to learn computers so it is totally possible for everyone else to do the same.

I still wonder how much store shrink happens from those self checkout kiosks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

There was some bitch on a news talk show today talking about how the future is with robots, and no one in trucking or even retail is safe, because soon all the jobs will be done by robots....and that segued into talk about a monthly stipend for people because they won't have jobs and there are only so many robot repair tech spots open.

Then she added how technically the jobs robots will one day do instead of humans aren't REALLY hard jobs and anyone can do them, and she hates the idea of paying people to be lazy, because those jobs are pretty mindless and easy to do. Says the oval office whose job is literally to talk about her opinion for four loving hours about how lazy other people are. Oh, and can't forget she added that when she was a kid, her dad lost in his job in the steel mill but went back to school to learn computers so it is totally possible for everyone else to do the same.

I still wonder how much store shrink happens from those self checkout kiosks.

You seem angry about the idea of UBI. Is there anything you need to get off your chest?