Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I was trying to imagine, for example, a bigger name who would want Batman they'd throw him under the bus for.
Like, if Bendis wasn't already writing a Superman that sells fewer issues than Tom King's Batman, I'd say him. It could still be Bendis, he usually writes a bazillion books at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I am shuddering at the thought of a Bendis Batman book. Making my skin crawl imagining the loving Joker doing Bendis-speak.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Thranguy posted:

If the extension meant his big finish wouldn't land on 100, maybe someone has a different 100 plan and King will move his finish to another book, like Morrison jumping from the main book to Batman and Robin. (Batman and Catwoman?)

From previous interviews, the big finish was at #85 or thereabouts, with the last 15 being a coda to that, plus four to make up for tie-ins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ElNarez posted:

From previous interviews, the big finish was at #85 or thereabouts, with the last 15 being a coda to that, plus four to make up for tie-ins.

A fifteen issue coda is loving abominable and if that's why he's being kicked he loving deserves it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ElNarez posted:

I think you’re right. They could be giving him a new title to wrap things up in. Maybe they want to give Bendis the main Batman title or something.

Editorial would have known King’s Intended conclusion for a couple years now. Unless this is some sort of Batman Damned style poo poo storm or something. I have no clue, I could speculated all day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Jesus, I am shuddering at the thought of a Bendis Batman book.

I thought people found his Walmart Batman comic with Nick Derington to be pretty good and fun. That's finally getting repackaged for comic shops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I’d hate to read a Batman comic by the guy whose most celebrated work is street-level heroes. No way that guy could pull it off!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Batman isn't quippy like Spider-Man or Luke Cage or any other street hero though.

But whatever I'll track down his Wal-Mart comic and eat crow, I guess

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

Batman isn't quippy like Spider-Man or Luke Cage or any other street hero though.

Daredevil is quippy?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Collection is in October, I think. I read the first couple chapters, and it was fun with great art. Batman deserves to be described as fun sometimes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

His best and most well known street level character run was fuckin Daredevil, dude.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Still waiting for the Bendis Zatanna comic so we can then experience Bendis dialog, but backwards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JL #25 is an oversized 60th anniversary issue and debuts a new logo.
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1131349021665255424

edit: Though on the cover shown in the link, they ditch the shield background.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Still waiting for the Bendis Zatanna comic so we can then experience Bendis dialog, but backwards.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

frameset posted:

It's the top selling comic each month. Why would they do this?

I know it gets poo poo on a lot here by the more vocal posters, but I've enjoyed all of King's Batman run.

it may have started off selling gangbusters but iirc the last issue shipped less than The Batman Who Laughs and Immortal Hulk. not to throw shade at Ewing because I love the poo poo out of that book, but THE Batman book moving worse than a Hulk book has to be a red alarm in somebody's office

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Daredevil is quippy?

He is if it's Bendis writing! I don't know if this is literally true

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

He is if it's Bendis writing! I don't know if this is literally true

It's not, that's what Foggy is for.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Woah, what on Earth happened that rocketed Immortal Hulk to #4?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I liked some issues of Knightmare more than others but who thought it would be a good idea to have a six part dream sequence?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Woah, what on Earth happened that rocketed Immortal Hulk to #4?

It's very good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The people can't deny a Cronenbergian flesh-gun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

It's very good.

I love the comic, I just don't know how it shot up so suddenly at issue 16.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a reveal in 16 that might have propelled it. The previous issue sold well but much much less.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it's been building momentum for awhile in a way very rarely seen in big two comics. Sorry for the images, I jotted it all in Notepad and then screencapped them for Twitter:

Obviously that's a huge jump, and Bleeding Cool did some goofy "could this issue be a collector's item????" reporting about issue 16, but:

Look at these re-orders from the same month:

That's eleven of the first fifteen issues that cracked the Top 300 in April.

The first issue two issues have gone back for a fourth printing, issues 3-6 have had three printings, and every issue but the most recent one has had a second printing.

It's also worth noting that assuming you bought the trades for Immortal Hulk and pre-ordered Book 3 (out next Wednesday) that issue #16 is the first issue you'd want to add to your pull list/buy to start reading the book monthly.

I'm very curious to see where the next few issues land on the charts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Freedom Fighters is starting to ramp up and we get to see how it ties into the Multiversity special.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about big numbers my LCBS guy was telling me that Naomi is moving big numbers with the speculators and he is selling out. Any idea why?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The series was hyped on her origin reveal being a big DCU breaking thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's also worth noting that assuming you bought the trades for Immortal Hulk and pre-ordered Book 3 (out next Wednesday) that issue #16 is the first issue you'd want to add to your pull list/buy to start reading the book monthly.

I'm very curious to see where the next few issues land on the charts.

This is a great point. I'm so happy Ewing finally got a book that sells.

Madkal posted:

Talking about big numbers my LCBS guy was telling me that Naomi is moving big numbers with the speculators and he is selling out. Any idea why?

The book is real good. But that's hardly ever the answer. Maybe it was speculation about the mystery of her origin?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why would DC take King off Batman 15 issues early? Right after he did the Hollywood Reporter interview!?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Chances are his main story is done by 85 and they didn't like what he was suggesting be done in the back end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Chances are his main story is done by 85 and they didn't like what he was suggesting be done in the back end.

According to King, his ending had been okayed by the parent companies.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-writer-tom-king-promises-twist-will-change-him-forever-1209801

I bet the article notified someone powerful who was out of the loop to check in and quash it, and he might've been fine if he didn't publicise.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 23, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ok I'm glad his main story will finish and maybe he can tell us about his cool idea that they shot down like they weren't eventually just gonna have someone punch time and undo it anyway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/23/tom-king-batman/

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1131346058473172993?s=20

It's been confirmed.

Culprit: Bob Harass didn't like the book.

You know, Sal at comicpop said "Marvel will do whatever sells, for better or worse. DC will do whatever pleases a small group of people's ego, for better or worse" two weeks ago. It feels approriate here.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

That absolutely sucks.

I'm excited for more MISTER MIRACLE/THE VISION-styled projects from King, but he should be allowed to stick the loving landing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I've been of the opinion that King's Batman has been a real stinker, but letting him do all these interviews about his world-changing ending and then canning his ending is probably the worst way you could go about things. It makes it look like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing at DC which... is probably accurate.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That sucks a lot. I thought 50 was trash, but I've otherwise enjoyed his run a lot, so pulling it out from under him after approving it is bullshit. Reining him in after Heroes in Crisis makes sense, but I hate the way they're doing it. Obviously lots of less famous writers get their series taken away a lot more abruptly than this, so it's not the greatest injustice in comics history or anything, but still.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the planned ending involved Batman and Catwoman actually getting married for real this time, but some higher up took the dumb thing from #50 about Bruce having to be unhappy to be Batman at face value.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea, if the whole thing doesn't end with an actual marriage because DC were the ones that got cold feet I am going to call bullshit on his entire run. I was willing to give #50 the benefit of the doubt but if the whole thing is just a repeat of the 50 issues it will be a giant waste.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the planned ending involved Batman and Catwoman actually getting married for real this time, but some higher up took the dumb thing from #50 about Bruce having to be unhappy to be Batman at face value.

That was my first thought too. If that is it, they really should have just let it happen since they'll inevitably reboot their universe again in a few years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s like booting Morrison off Animal Man before he brings back Buddy’s family.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with them wanting a younger looking Batman if the Robert Pattinson rumors are true.