Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

World will always be inferior to GenU since you can't play as a cat.

Palico mode is the best part of GenU and takes a good game and makes it great.

I spent 20 minutes last night wailing in a velocidrome so I would question Palico modes greatness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Palicos will straight up push you out of the way of a powerful attack and take the brunt of it themselves like a goddamn action hero

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

Palicos will straight up push you out of the way of a powerful attack and take the brunt of it themselves like a goddamn action hero

They'll drop what they're doing to free you from a chunk of ice too. Those little dudes are legit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just like in real life, if you are asleep, your cat will run over and kick you in the face repeatedly to instantly wake you up from one of the most debilitating statuses in the game. Of the various flaws Monster Hunter (World) may or may not have, the palicoes definitely are not one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Emily Is Away Too has a really smart method of using licensed music and not paying for it. Characters in the game send you 'Youtoob' links, which take you to a page that embeds the YouTube version of the song.

http://emilyisaway.com/youtoob/pT68FS3YbQ4/

What a neat way of getting around licensing fees, plus the very precise choice of music really contributes to the 2006-era mood of the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Just like in real life, if you are asleep, your cat will run over and kick you in the face repeatedly to instantly wake you up from one of the most debilitating statuses in the game. Of the various flaws Monster Hunter (World) may or may not have, the palicoes definitely are not one.

Unlike real life your Palico will not stop in the middle of a monster beat-down to hork up on the floor after eating that meal in town too quickly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sometimes the cats will smack you out of being paralyzed and other times they will just run to you and crawl around shaking their butt. They are, after all, still cats

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

Emily Is Away Too has a really smart method of using licensed music and not paying for it. Characters in the game send you 'Youtoob' links, which take you to a page that embeds the YouTube version of the song.

http://emilyisaway.com/youtoob/pT68FS3YbQ4/

What a neat way of getting around licensing fees, plus the very precise choice of music really contributes to the 2006-era mood of the game.

"not available in your country"

well i guess that's a game i should not be buying

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got to the point in Legends of Troy where Ajax is driven mad by Athena and the boss fight at the end is a surprisingly deep cut: Lyssa, the goddess of Madness, Rabies and Unfettered Rage. The same goddess that Hera sent to drive Hercules to murder his wife and children, and that Artemis sent to drive a shepherd's dogs to tear him apart for seeing her naked. Now Athena has sicced her on Ajax for looting her temple and possibly raping Cassandra (unless that crime happens later, it seems to be off screen if not)

It's a mildly annoying fight, but a neat Deep Cut that I didn't expect.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Start with 0 then skip Kiwami and go straight to Kiwami 2.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Kiwami is good though. If inconsistently paced.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

play Kiwami, it's good. The side quests aren't as great and it has some very PS2 bits but it's a fine game with a better story than 0 imo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped Kiwami 70 percent in, having long passed the level-cap, because I would get knocked flat on my rear end a dozen times in every boss fight. Yakuza 0 may have been easy but at least you could maintain your combo-meter without relying on items.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:14 on May 22, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Boycotting Kiwami until they bring back Mark Hamill.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

play Kiwami, it's good. The side quests aren't as great and it has some very PS2 bits but it's a fine game with a better story than 0 imo

Boss fights in Kiwami are incredibly tedious. Just finished Kiwami 2 and it's a huge improvement.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh definitely, K1 is the weakest of the 3 on PC but I wouldn't recommend skipping it at all.

I'm playing K2 now and really enjoying it. I'm in two minds about the combat changes, on one hand the "feel" is really improved and being able to take the fight into stores is great, but I miss the styles and the skill trees are incredibly boring now compared to some of the awesome/funny/novel1 poo poo you could unlock in 0/1

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Man there’s just so much to do in Witcher 3.

Also titties

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh definitely, K1 is the weakest of the 3 on PC but I wouldn't recommend skipping it at all.

I'm playing K2 now and really enjoying it. I'm in two minds about the combat changes, on one hand the "feel" is really improved and being able to take the fight into stores is great, but I miss the styles and the skill trees are incredibly boring now compared to some of the awesome/funny/novel1 poo poo you could unlock in 0/1

Yeah, it’s hard to pick a better game between 0 and K2 for these reasons. I lean towards 0, but I cheered out loud when I did the throw attack in the first fight in K2 and not only did it actually hurl him through the air and then through the window of a Smile Burger, but I was able to chase him inside and continue the fight in there, completely trashing the place, which was a really cool moment you can’t get in 0.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I missed the part where you mentioned taking the fights into stores in the post I was replying to so I’ll just add that it’s really funny how mad the clerks get when you just calmly walk up to them and try to order a burger after crashing through the window with four other guys and then breaking all the restaurant’s furniture over the other guys’ heads

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Honestly, I think Kuze was a better villain than Ryuji

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Honestly, I think Kuze was a better villain than Ryuji

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've been watching, and have almost finished, the Let's Play of a computer game from 1980 called The Prisoner, and while it's certainly slow going and not to everyone's taste, I was amazed to discover that, in a sequence that gauges (among other things) your susceptibility to subliminals, the words gently caress and oval office actually appear in the game, almost inperceptibly.

That's not only wild for a mainstream computer game from 1980, but it's especially wild for a game published by a company that largely published educational software.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The Prisoner wasn’t a properly licensed game, so the developers could get away with a lot of crazy poo poo. (There are a number of differences from the show so they could avoid getting sued.)

I really like the design of the game. The only way to technically lose is to type in your secret code, at any point, and the game will try its hardest to trick you into typing it in. If you’re paying enough attention, you can always catch yourself in time.

That said, you will get punished in other ways, either by lowering your score, or by wasting your time. Score is needed to win the game or get crucial hints; there is no lower limit, so you can get such a negative score that it’s better to just start over. Wasting time comes in the form of a long, unskippable cutscene that happens whenever you fail a task, and a maze you solve after to continue the game.

I think those punishments capture the experience of the show very well. Number Six always makes progress towards escaping, but he always seems to end up where he started, despite being “ahead”.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah! It's loving bonkers, and that's what makes it so great - it was metagaming in 1980, way before the rules had really even been codified so that they could be broken. It's an outstanding achievement, really.

ETA: there's a bit where the game pretends to crash, and if you know anything about the Apple operating system, and try to fix the error, you'll type in the series of key presses that will make you lose the game.

I suspect the subliminal aspects were suggested by late 70s-early 80s alarmist Wilson Bryan Key, who wrote several books about subliminal advertising (one of which suggested that the Howard Johnson chain of restaurants churned up an appetite for its fried clam platter by having a doctored photo of said platter subliminally suggest an orgy). In the case of a Prisoner game, and in the way it's implemented, it's actually smarter than contemporary reality.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 22:31 on May 23, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The game also has an actual crash screen. They wrote a custom error page and put a note on the screen saying that it was not a trick. The fake crash looks like a default BASIC crash handler that dumps you back to the shell, but the shell is really an in-game text prompt.

The narrative in the game is very much like a prototype for games like Off, OneShot, and DDLC in how much it involves the player directly instead of through a player character. I can’t think of an earlier game that does that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm playing Muramasa on the Vita right now. It's the second time I've played it (first time was when it first came out on the Wii) and, drat, I forgot how gorgeous this game can get. Running through corn fields with stalks swaying in the breeze in the foreground and background was so nice I had to stop to take it in.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

When your Khajiit gets in a fight in Skyrim without a helmet, they lay their ears back. :catstare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Muramasa on the Vita right now. It's the second time I've played it (first time was when it first came out on the Wii) and, drat, I forgot how gorgeous this game can get. Running through corn fields with stalks swaying in the breeze in the foreground and background was so nice I had to stop to take it in.

You should try Odin Sphere Leifthrasir next. It's just as gorgeous.

I also really wish they'd port the Vita version of Muramasa to PS4 so I could play it :sigh:.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should try Odin Sphere Leifthrasir next. It's just as gorgeous.

I also really wish they'd port the Vita version of Muramasa to PS4 so I could play it :sigh:.

Oh yeah I know, that one blew me away with how much better it was than the original. I switched between it on the vita and the ps4, and while you can't beat the portability of the vita, seeing those animations in HD was something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started trying again at Bravely Second. Something I like is that the plot isn't structured like a normal game, now objectives are arbitrarily scattered all over the place rather than visiting areas in order and it feels more organic. Currently at the Ba'al Crater

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

Started trying again at Bravely Second. Something I like is that the plot isn't structured like a normal game, now objectives are arbitrarily scattered all over the place rather than visiting areas in order and it feels more organic. Currently at the Ba'al Crater

I feel like this is a strength of them making a direct sequel to an RPG with the exact same engine, which doesn't happen very often, especially with JRPGs. So they can start everything with the assumption that their audience is familiar with and recognizes the world around them, and doesn't have to worry about slowly introducing them to all these places.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was extremely disappointed with Bravely Default, but that sounds like they tried to address my biggest problem with the original, at least. Are the towns any less flat and lifeless feeling?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked up Team Sonic Racing on a whim, and I'm actually really enjoying how they made teamwork an actual thing in a kart racer.

You can share item boxes out to your teammates just by hitting B instead of using it with A, but you can also request they share items with you the same way. Sharing an item box to someone also just lets them roll on a flat-out better drop table, AND sharing boosts your team's Ultimate bar, so there's almost no reason to ever use an item you picked up yourself instead of sharing it to a teammate.

The real trick is that if you get a box shared to you and it has 3x Rockets or something, you can use 2 of the Rockets and then share the item box again to keep the chain of item boxes going.

There's also the stuff like how the teammate currently in the lead leaves a trail for other teammates that massively buffs acceleration and lets them charge a boost off of it, or how if you're close enough when overtaking a teammate and there's a big enough speed difference you give them a boost up to your speed which is great for recovering from attacks, but at this point I'd just be saying the game's entire gimmick is a 'little thing'

It's just a shame there doesn't seem to be enough people playing online to have multiple human players on the same team

Icedude has a new favorite as of 13:50 on May 27, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

One small thing I like about Undertale is that you get a raw glimpse into the character of the person playing it

For instance, my girlfriend pet the lesser dog to the point of maxing out it's neck length, then killed it, so now I might break up with her???

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's kinda the antithesis of something I was bitching about in the sister thread, but an issue with another game made me realize how Descent 2 really set the mark for helping players navigate a game's space.

How did they do it? Maps? Alerts? Nope, they gave you Guide Bot; you release your little robot buddy and he'll guide you exactly where to go, every step, and never once slammed its cute little guidebot face against a wall or anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Riatsala posted:

One small thing I like about Undertale is that you get a raw glimpse into the character of the person playing it

For instance, my girlfriend pet the lesser dog to the point of maxing out it's neck length, then killed it, so now I might break up with her???

:stare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Maybe it was an accident, Lenny-styles

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Icedude posted:

I picked up Team Sonic Racing on a whim, and I'm actually really enjoying how they made teamwork an actual thing in a kart racer.

You can share item boxes out to your teammates just by hitting B instead of using it with A, but you can also request they share items with you the same way. Sharing an item box to someone also just lets them roll on a flat-out better drop table, AND sharing boosts your team's Ultimate bar, so there's almost no reason to ever use an item you picked up yourself instead of sharing it to a teammate.

The real trick is that if you get a box shared to you and it has 3x Rockets or something, you can use 2 of the Rockets and then share the item box again to keep the chain of item boxes going.

There's also the stuff like how the teammate currently in the lead leaves a trail for other teammates that massively buffs acceleration and lets them charge a boost off of it, or how if you're close enough when overtaking a teammate and there's a big enough speed difference you give them a boost up to your speed which is great for recovering from attacks, but at this point I'd just be saying the game's entire gimmick is a 'little thing'

It's just a shame there doesn't seem to be enough people playing online to have multiple human players on the same team

I had a lot of problems finding matches on release but I have found 2 nearly full rooms via quickmatch today on a monday of all days, so people might have just been cautious about buying it until reviews or just couldn't until the weekend.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MisterBibs posted:

It's kinda the antithesis of something I was bitching about in the sister thread, but an issue with another game made me realize how Descent 2 really set the mark for helping players navigate a game's space.

How did they do it? Maps? Alerts? Nope, they gave you Guide Bot; you release your little robot buddy and he'll guide you exactly where to go, every step, and never once slammed its cute little guidebot face against a wall or anything.

I'm not really sure this was a good decision, because it led them to make a lot of maps that are almost impossible to navigate when you aren't being led by the guide-bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I'm not really sure this was a good decision, because it led them to make a lot of maps that are almost impossible to navigate when you aren't being led by the guide-bot.

It was Descent. You couldn't really make a map that was possible to navigate without him, which is why he was put into the sequel.

Content/addition: it wasn't very good overall, and its low-hanging appeasement, but I loved in Descent 3 one of the levels was set on the moon. They put the little "hey here's the first level of Descent 1!" moment in a perfect spot, where you're going around all this stuff without thinking too much, and then oh man, I know this room.