Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

His mother was also apparently an emotionally unavailable paranoid shut-in who raised young Howard with an unhealthy level of fear, particularly fear of the unknown, which manifested as racism but also an incredible genre of fiction. And I think he changed his views later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't be arsed to confirm it, but evidently he married a Jewish woman, who was able to curb some of his racist/anti-semetic views with the classic "Hey, you realize I'm the one you come home to after saying that poo poo" technique.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And I think he changed his views later in life.

If anything he got worse.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

If anything he got worse.

I never got that from his later works. The incredibly explicit and gross racism mellowed out and eventually became barely a part of it. The subtext remains with the fear of others, othering, and so on, but it felt like it moved beyond the mere physical and into the more purely existential and metaphysical Other, instead of immigrants and black people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

I never got that from his later works.

In his later years he openly wrote about how he admired Hitler and how the country were flooded with jews.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yo please post some of your favorite facts about love craft because the one I'm most familiar with is that he named his cat

Uh

His cat has a name.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

In his later years he openly wrote about how he admired Hitler and how the country were flooded with jews.

same with half the US tbh

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Tashilicious posted:

same with half the US tbh

example:

msg in new york city

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Yosselle Greenstein, The Mighty Atom:

In New York in 1939, members of the pro-Nazi German-American Bund were enraged to see a five-foot four, 140 pound man tearing up the sign on their headquarters which read “No dogs or Jews allowed”. The man, they figured was Jewish, and a group of around 20 Nazis, men who liked a fight, decided to teach the little man a lesson.

When the group of German-American Bund member appeared in court to level charges against Joseph Greenstein, the judge asked why not all of them were present. The Nazis told the judge not all of them were out of the hospital yet. The Nazis were not eager to press charges against him and admit that one little Jewish man had defeated all of them. Before dismissing the case, the judge asked Greenstein about the fight. Greenstein’s reply was: “It wasn’t a fight your honor, it was a pleasure.”

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dee eight posted:

In New York in 1939, members of the pro-Nazi German-American Bund were enraged to see a five-foot four, 140 pound man tearing up the sign on their headquarters which read “No dogs or Jews allowed”. The man, they figured was Jewish, and a group of around 20 Nazis, men who liked a fight, decided to teach the little man a lesson.

When the group of German-American Bund member appeared in court to level charges against Joseph Greenstein, the judge asked why not all of them were present. The Nazis told the judge not all of them were out of the hospital yet. The Nazis were not eager to press charges against him and admit that one little Jewish man had defeated all of them. Before dismissing the case, the judge asked Greenstein about the fight. Greenstein’s reply was: “It wasn’t a fight your honor, it was a pleasure.”

I love this story, and the one about the guy who charged up the stage during a rally at in New York to punch some Nazis.

Like, full on Nazi regalia, the very rally the picture Peanut posted is from, and just decked a guy. Isadore Greenbaum was his name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...m=.0342b1e1a5c9

To the credit of New York, there *was* a 100,000 person demonstration outside that was chomping at the bit to bust Nazi heads.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Look up Sputnik Monroe, the pro wrestler, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dee eight posted:

Nate Dimeo delivers this story well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jack Kirby was a Nazi puncher as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jack Kirby was a Nazi killer too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Punching Nazis is both patriotic and self-defense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress yeah Jimmy

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also his voice was noted as being noticeably high pitched.

So imagine Larry the Cable Guy after he just inhaled helium and you're probably close to Lincoln.

I was thinking of a different comedian.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The oldest known named pet is Abuwtiyuw, the royal guard dog of an unknown pharoah.

quote:

The dog which was the guard of His Majesty, Abuwtiyuw is his name. His Majesty ordered that he be buried (ceremonially), that he be given a coffin from the royal treasury, fine linen in great quantity, (and) incense. His Majesty (also) gave perfumed ointment, and (ordered) that a tomb be built for him by the gangs of masons. His Majesty did this for him in order that he (the dog) might be Honoured (before the great god, Anubis).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He must have been a very good boy :3:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Wait where did you read that?

I've never heard that before. I remember reading that Lovecraft thought Hitler was irrational or something to that effect but nothing about him admiring him. It's always seemed more that he got less xenophobic as he aged, at least it's less reflected in his later writing. But I dunno could be wrong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Wait where did you read that?

Lovecraft posted:

Hitler’s] vision is of course romantic & immature, & coloured with a fact-ignoring emotionalism … There surely is an actual Hitler peril—yet that cannot blind us to the honest rightness of the man’s basic urge … I repeat that there is a great & pressing need behind every one of the major planks of Hitlerism—racial-cultural continuity, conservative cultural ideals, & an escape from the absurdities of Versailles. The crazy thing is not what Adolf wants, but the way he sees it & starts out to get it. I know he's a clown, but by God, I like the boy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lovecraft was horrid. Not even a product-of-his-times kind of bad. His fellow 1920s white boys were shocked at how loving bigoted he was.

However, his work has resonated, especially with queer people like me. I’m going to post this video rather than construct a post: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the 14th century a cow was worth one hundred squirrel pelts in Russia and Finland (the finnish word for money is still "raha" which means squirrel pelt).
In what is now Gabon a wife was worth thirty potato clubs in the 16th century.
Parmesan cheese was so valuable that when London burned in 1666 Samuel Pepy buried his cheese so that it wouldn't perish. Some banks in Italy still accept parmesan as collateral and Credito Emilliano has 440 000 cheese wheels in their vaults.
In Ethiopia in the 19th century you would have to have a donkey cart of salt to buy a slave.
If you wanted to buy a slave in Oceania in the 16th century it would cost you 200-300 kauri shells. In the 17th century the market crashed and a slave was now worth 20 000 kauri shells.
In 1880 one dog tooth was worth ten coconuts in Papa New Guinea. If you wanted a pig you needed a chain of dog teeth that was as long as the pig from snout to tail.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Papa New Guinea. If you wanted a pig you needed a chain of dog teeth that was as long as the pig from snout to tail.

Holy poo poo. Talk about working for your money! Who thought this up, Charley four-fingers?

e:

Randaconda posted:

Hyperdontia in a Great Dane

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Traditional Western Medicine was just as terrible back then as Traditional Chinese Medicine is now.

HEY GUNS posted:

human fat has curative properties and the body parts of people who die by violence are more magically potent. you can see what people who believed this would have done during the french revolution:
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1132650170053812224

No matter what, do not literally eat the rich, or use them to make a salve for cuts and burns.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

golden bubble posted:

No matter what, do not literally eat the rich, or use them to make a salve for cuts and burns.

Don't tell me what to do.

Alhazred posted:

In what is now Gabon a wife was worth thirty potato clubs in the 16th century.

What's a potato club?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Don't tell me what to do.

What's a potato club?

Like a seal club but for tubers.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Beachcomber posted:

What's a potato club?

the first rule of potato club is that you don't talk about potato club

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

What's a potato club?

What you mash potatoes with:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Alhazred posted:

So considering the price of a potato masher these days, a wife would be worth about 60 bucks? Nice.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Welp there you go..

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

golden bubble posted:

you can go to hell

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
But why would you need 30 potato mashers?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BattyKiara posted:

To mash 30 potatoes, idiot

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You would need 15 wives to work that many potato mashers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

They were made out of iron which was rare in that area.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Alhazred posted:

Bit dangerous to mash your spuds with a ww2 hand grenade imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DesperateDan posted:

Bit dangerous to mash your spuds with a ww2 hand grenade imho

If you do it right, you won't need to mash for long.