Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

From what I understand most of it i actually resolved but there is some subplots that never get resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

Uh its not a wife thing for Carpenter since he's been married to the same woman since 1990 and she was the script supervisor on Starman.

The issue with almost all of those films are big promises made initially to Carpenter in regards to budget etc.. and then dawning realization that those promises are not going to be met especially on things like Ghost of Mars. Then after than Carpenter jut really was more interested in music , smoking weed, and playing video games.

Vampires is a very very 1990s film. Also, Village of the Damned is good and probably the last really amazing performance we have from Christopher Reeves who is excellent in that film.

I think it was a lot of things but most of it was Carpenter had these huge plans and movies set out and just not the backing to do them.

Just read up on the making of Ghost of Mars.

He probably means Debra Hill, to whom Carpenter was not married. It’s still crazy though because she worked with him on maybe half his great films

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you are literate you have no excuse not to read the Exorcist and Legion. Oddly enough I'm not a huge horror book type guy but those two are masterpieces.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

Oddly enough I'm not a huge horror book type guy but those two are masterpieces.

Just curious, but why aren't you into horror books?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Even though no one mentioned it, Assault on Precinct 13 might be my favorite Carpenter besides The Thing.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just curious, but why aren't you into horror books?

While we're on the topic, what's a good resource for finding horror novel recommendations? I just read "The Cabin at the End of the World" and now I need something else.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This Carpenter talk reminded me I needed to check out Cigarette Burns and drat what a mess. Norman Reedus is atrocious in this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sarchasm posted:

While we're on the topic, what's a good resource for finding horror novel recommendations? I just read "The Cabin at the End of the World" and now I need something else.

The General Horror thread over in the Book Barn is generally a good source, I’ve found a lot of good reads based on recommendations from there. If you liked Cabin at the End of the World then I HIGHLY recommend another by Paul Trembley, “A Head Full of Ghosts”. Probably my favorite recent horror novel, it’s great.

The OP has a list of goon recommendations: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

if you are literate you have no excuse not to read the Exorcist and Legion. Oddly enough I'm not a huge horror book type guy but those two are masterpieces.

One of my favorite Blatty quotes:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

The General Horror thread over in the Book Barn is generally a good source, I’ve found a lot of good reads based on recommendations from there. If you liked Cabin at the End of the World then I HIGHLY recommend another by Paul Trembley, “A Head Full of Ghosts”. Probably my favorite recent horror novel, it’s great.

The OP has a list of goon recommendations: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663

When I first started reading A Head Full of Ghosts I thought it was a lot like We Have Always Lived in the Castle, but as it went on I figured I was wrong and the similarities were mostly superficial. Then I got to the end and realized I was originally correct. Pretty good read though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

This Carpenter talk reminded me I needed to check out Cigarette Burns and drat what a mess. Norman Reedus is atrocious in this.

Carpenter is my favorite director and I thought Cigarette Burns was just terrible. And yea Reedus was a big part of that, I typically like him but in this he's just....not good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I liked Cigarette Burns, but I saw it before In The Mouth of Madness.

There's still some imagery in it I'm really into, especially near the end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You know what might be a fun editing project? I wonder if Carpenter's Village of the Damned could be edited down to a 20 minute short film focused around the best sequence of the film--everyone falling asleep.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Surprisingly relevant even today is Carpenters 2nd entry for Masters of Horror "Pro Life" which has Ron Perlman. I'd recommend it.

Also, even though it's very derivative the film he directed in 2010 with Amber Heard is very well directed. The Ward.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Surprisingly relevant even today is Carpenters 2nd entry for Masters of Horror "Pro Life" which has Ron Perlman. I'd recommend it.

Also, even though it's very derivative the film he directed in 2010 with Amber Heard is very well directed. The Ward.

I loving love The Ward.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen The Ward, I think part of me just didn't want to ever feel like I had no more Carpenter to watch. It would be a sad day for me. Maybe now after the success of Halloween he'll get more into producing.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I want to watch all the Friday the 13th films. Right now, Jason X, Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs. Jason, and the 2009 remake are on Netflix but they are leaving on June 1. There are some random ones on Amazon Prime but it looks like 1-8 will all be available on Prime on May 31. Does the order matter at all or can I watch the 4 Netflix ones first?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

He probably means Debra Hill, to whom Carpenter was not married. It’s still crazy though because she worked with him on maybe half his great films

Thats right; my fault; I was going off memory, and thought he was married to Hill. She seemed to be the key to his best output.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

I want to watch all the Friday the 13th films. Right now, Jason X, Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs. Jason, and the 2009 remake are on Netflix but they are leaving on June 1. There are some random ones on Amazon Prime but it looks like 1-8 will all be available on Prime on May 31. Does the order matter at all or can I watch the 4 Netflix ones first?

You can watch the four Netflix ones first. Just be aware that the 'Friday the 13th' run of films and the four 'Jason' films are very different approaches to the series and character, starting with Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan. The Jason movies are each stand-alone stories that don't really connect, other than the way they approach Jason, the cinematography, music, etc.

edit: For a better context, Parts 1-4 are directly connected. Parts 4-6 are connected through a reoccuring character. 6-8 are connected by the move to "zombie Jason".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

It doesn't matter for any plot related reasons really, but I guess you'd lose the ability to kinda track and notice the changes in the series as it goes on. Which I think is part of what makes it a fun series to watch, its kinda like James Bond in that way where it's like a time capsule series.

That said, the 4 that are on Netflix are probably the least important in that regard, they're all mostly standalone compared to 1-8.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

You know what might be a fun editing project? I wonder if Carpenter's Village of the Damned could be edited down to a 20 minute short film focused around the best sequence of the film--everyone falling asleep.

That part RULES.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dantheman650 posted:

I'm somehow in the minority here, but the remake sucks, a lot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

Kind of.

1-3 are the same exact movie 3 times in a row with his mom then Jason, then Jason with a hockey mask. 3 doesn't rally matter outside of "he gets a mask" but 1 and 2 go back to back. 4 is the highlight of human Jason and 4,5,6 should be watched in a row since it's a weird Tommy Jarvis trilogy. 7 and 8 barely matter; the Netflix version of 7 is fun but lacks basically any gore at all, and 8 is dumb. 9 is a remake of The Hidden but it doesn't matter in "continuity" nor does X. FvJ is a followup to 9 but can really be watched at any time.

If anything, I'd do 1-4 then watch the remake since the remake is a mix of 1-4. Then watch whatever you want.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That part RULES.

It's insanely good. It's so good, it makes the rest of the movie afterwards feel so dull.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

If anything, I'd do 1-4 then watch the remake since the remake is a mix of 1-4. Then watch whatever you want.

See, I actually disagree with this. While I really like parts 1-4, I think it'd be fun for someone to see the Reboot without having seen those movies. It would let them judge it on it's own merits, and not based on the knowledge of the films it's trying to modernize.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Kind of.

1-3 are the same exact movie 3 times in a row with his mom then Jason, then Jason with a hockey mask. 3 doesn't rally matter outside of "he gets a mask" but 1 and 2 go back to back. 4 is the highlight of human Jason and 4,5,6 should be watched in a row since it's a weird Tommy Jarvis trilogy. 7 and 8 barely matter; the Netflix version of 7 is fun but lacks basically any gore at all, and 8 is dumb. 9 is a remake of The Hidden but it doesn't matter in "continuity" nor does X. FvJ is a followup to 9 but can really be watched at any time.

See this is the fun of it though, to watch them all and observe these things for yourself. Sure, you can boil each sequel down to a few words but there's still an evolution there that I think is interesting to experience by watching the films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

See this is the fun of it though, to watch them all and observe these things for yourself. Sure, you can boil each sequel down to a few words but there's still an evolution there that I think is interesting to experience by watching the films.

This gives me a great idea.

dantheman650, watch the entire series in backwards order and report back.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Nah the fun of it is ranking them in the thread.

4,6,2,remake,5,1,3,10,7,FvJ,8,9

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I watched the It's Alive trilogy this week, and they owned. The third one was loving crazy.

I ordered Q - The Winged Serpent and should be receiving it later today. Larry Cohen owned.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

See, I actually disagree with this. While I really like parts 1-4, I think it'd be fun for someone to see the Reboot without having seen those movies. It would let them judge it on it's own merits, and not based on the knowledge of the films it's trying to modernize.

I kind of think seeing the viciousness of the reboot Jason would undercut the original movies, where he's a lot...tamer. Jason being fast, even more mean, and brutal in the remake is a direct play off of the older movies which I think you would kind of lose watching them in reverse.

On the flip side, as a comparison, the TCM remake is essentially just another sequel to the original, and the change in tone doesn't really play off of it so I would watch that before or after the original since it doesn't really matter.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The thing I like about the remake is that it’s mostly just Jason killing at the camp. At the end of the day that’s all I really want out of the franchise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

The thing I like about the remake is that it’s mostly just Jason killing at the camp. At the end of the day that’s all I really want out of the franchise.

We go through this monthly, but the remake is the only Friday the 13th with a twist that works. The first 3 being POV kill movies is dumb when the killer is someone we either havent seen yet or is Jason. Roy Burns is the most nonsensical thing ever. But the remake switching the final girl is both a surprise and does a good job of making you empathize with a victim more. Not necessarily here, but elsewhere, I think a big part of people who view it more negatively is that it makes all but one kill hard to have fun with/root for and you actually don't want some of the victims to die, which is rare in Ft13 movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The remake also has that pretty effective bait and switch where you're introduced to the cast at the beginning of the movie and then they're all killed off in the first 20 minutes before the REAL cast shows up. That was pretty drat effective the first time I saw it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The remake also has that pretty effective bait and switch where you're introduced to the cast at the beginning of the movie and then they're all killed off in the first 20 minutes before the REAL cast shows up. That was pretty drat effective the first time I saw it.

You should just turn it off at that point IMHO

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Oh sweet Friday Chat! My personal favourite is 5 but I’ll happily sit and watch any of them, also I heartily endorse the pop-punk band The Jason’s For Friday related Music tomfoolery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Vampires is a very very 1990s film. Also, Village of the Damned is good and probably the last really amazing performance we have from Christopher Reeves who is excellent in that film.

Reeve did a remake of Rear Window after his accident that was very good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Oh sweet Friday Chat! My personal favourite is 5 but I’ll happily sit and watch any of them, also I heartily endorse the pop-punk band The Jason’s For Friday related Music tomfoolery.

The Jasons are on the soundtrack to the F13 puzzle game for iOS. There’s a part 8 level in the game that takes place almost entirely on a boat :3:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

Reeve did a remake of Rear Window after his accident that was very good.

Hell yeah it is, I was really surprised with this.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Season 3 of Slasher is out today. First two were a trashy good time with some gnarly gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Drunkboxer posted:

The Jasons are on the soundtrack to the F13 puzzle game for iOS. There’s a part 8 level in the game that takes place almost entirely on a boat :3:

They also do a song on their album “get hosed” that incorporates Demon (from part 5’s) OOOOHHH Baby oOOOHH OHHHH baby song.

It owns