Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

supabump posted:

thanks for reminding me of the time i got hoodwinked into getting a cs degree because "coding is fun," op

what do you do with you life now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

i tell everyone im into hiking but really i just go home and drink and play videogames

im pretty sure its a west coast thing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

supabump posted:

i tell everyone im into hiking but really i just go home and drink and play videogames

wow same

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i'm using python 3 right now for a data analysis project and it works very well for me. it is at least better than the excel disasterscapes i've seen in the past.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

supabump posted:

it'd be worse if you were actually into hiking tbf

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Origin posted:

i'm using python 3 right now for a data analysis project and it works very well for me. it is at least better than the excel disasterscapes i've seen in the past.

this mcdonalds burger is considerably tastier than the bucket full of pig poo poo i ate last week

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Did you get it from Randy's? Dandy's is a knockoff restaurant and they just don't bother seasoning their pig poo poo right.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

dynamic typing is bad but strong typing is good, in conclusion python is a land of contrasts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dynamic typing means less work therefore : more codes per hour

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya, error codes!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
every time I try to learn python I get about five minutes in before I remember that I already know more than enough languages that come with the disclaimer "this language sucks too much to use for anything important or complicated, but it's p decent for banging out small scripts for personal use"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pram posted:

deploying any interpreted lang code is always gross. if it doesnt come in a binary or jvm then lol

we have to deploy some python ML script to end users' computers and it's a fricken nightmare

(ended up programmatically creating a virtual environment with a known list of packages, that all have to download from the internet, and then switching to it to run the script. it sucks.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

i also now maintain all this code and can't download anything with pip due to firewall restrictions

even looking at the proxy server gets my account locked 9 times out of 10

if you copy packages to the right locations, and edit the config files, anaconda will know they're already present

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

~Coxy posted:

deploy ... python ... to end users' computers

:rip:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

ya, error codes!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

dynamic typing means less work therefore : more codes per hour
Yes, if you're dicking around, but if what you're writing is going to get a train run on it, the extra time writing and compiling is worth it.

Unless you're using boost.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
idk why anyone would ever think "I wrote more code faster" is a good thing

the less code that gets written the better, and the slower you write it the more likely you are to get it right, or at least to die before you finish it and therefore do less damage

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

~Coxy posted:

if you copy packages to the right locations, and edit the config files, anaconda will know they're already present

yeah also if i put a chopstick down my urethra i might like that too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

yeah I didn't actually go with that

I just told the users it will take 5 minutes to setup the virtual environment every time their VDI restarts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

idk why anyone would ever think "I wrote more code faster" is a good thing

the less code that gets written the better, and the slower you write it the more likely you are to get it right, or at least to die before you finish it and therefore do less damage

idk didn't alfred. j. capitalism say something different about getting poo poo out the door before the end of the month so we can bill him on this cycle?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Python is a good introductory language for people new to programming.

After they've got the basics down, they can move to Java/C#

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

it's the least bad of the plangs, tho. sometimes you gotta plang and then python is a sensible choice. don't plang unless you have to tho. i have never regretted writing anything in java, but i have often regretted writing things in python

my theory is that go is the best plang now.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

been using python to scrape through splunk logs and its really suiting my needs rn

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

my theory is that go is the best plang now.

go isn’t a plang. one of the criteria is that you can just run a line or two of code any time, no compiler no files. go doesn’t even have a repl lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Soricidus posted:

go isn’t a plang. one of the criteria is that you can just run a line or two of code any time, no compiler no files. go doesn’t even have a repl lol

actually the criteria is just the the language starts with p, like perl and python and ruby

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

i think you will find the definition of plang is a bit more informal

fart simpson posted:

actually the criteria is just the the language starts with p, like perl and python, and ruby

yeah i rest my case. go is a plang, deal with it.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
is chess a plang

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
go is a tier below a p lang, it’s so dang bad

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
node and go need their own sub-plang designation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

node and go need their own sub-plang designation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm afraid that the answer to 'what's the most populist programming language' is javascript and we really need to change that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Where's lisp

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Foo posted:

Where's lisp

brahmins obviously

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Soricidus posted:

:hmmyes:

drwiii
Aug 23, 2005

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

Captain Foo posted:

Where's lisp

Pfft. Humph.

ask mr. humphries if you paid your BBC television licence. ''free software'' indeed, comrade stallman.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

bump tnis thead everytime python is bad

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

bump

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

alternatively,,

bump this htread everyytime python is fine but there are better options if you need to build something that matters

"second best language for everything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Skim Milk posted:

alternatively,,

bump this htread everyytime python is fine but there are better options if you need to build something that matters

"second best language for everything"

trick question nothing we make matters