Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you in the UK?

Yes we are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Strongly recommend you get linked up with https://www.eduroam.org/about/institutions/. Faculty and students can then go to any participating school/college/university globally and will connect to the same Wi-Fi network with the same credentials that they use at the school that employs them / they attend.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

Strongly recommend you get linked up with https://www.eduroam.org/about/institutions/. Faculty and students can then go to any participating school/college/university globally and will connect to the same Wi-Fi network with the same credentials that they use at the school that employs them / they attend.

I'll second that. My institution got on board a couple years ago, and it's quite handy.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I'm not sure if I've worded the situation well, so forgive me.

Students at the institution can have managed (Intune) or bring their own device which we do not manage. However, because we don't manage them, we can't install proxy cert for MITM and thus want to isolate them on a network without ssl decryption but still with domain filtering to offer at least some protection. We need to track if these students try and access illicit sites, and thus they need to authenticate to the filtering system.

Intune connected devices use radius for WiFi but I know a "BYOD" network is needed too. Same credentials, same principal, different subnet.

My issue is how to achieve this, I assume I create a wireless subnet, give it a VLAN, and on the draytek allow interlan routing. The issue is whether this lock down will achieve anything as they'll need access to radius.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Create a new SSID, make it use WPA2 Enterprise for authentication, point it at your RADIUS servers, make sure the subnet they are put into can get out to the Internet through whatever filtering you have in place. Clients don't need access to the RADIUS servers.

I appreciate that it's a larger task than you have been given the brief for, but if this place is an actual school/college/whatever that would be eligible to use eduroam for Wi-Fi then it's really worth putting the time into enabling it on your network. It handles things like certificate installation for you by using a firewalled off open SSID where people can authenticate to receive a certificate, and the end user experience is very good

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/it/student/wifi/ios/

Because it's just an authentication system, you can still filter all your devices as you do currently.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm a SCOM admin at my corp, some SECPOL wiseguy just pushed a GPO that disabled the Windows Script Host across the org. I discovered this after getting an alarming amount of new "Operations Manager failed to start a process" alerts, and a horrifying number of servers suddenly in "Not monitored" state. Given that this was done in the name of security, their team is hesitant to reverse course, and I was asked to find a workaround. Here's what I have to work with:

-Their GPO disables the WSH via this registry entry:
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings - DWORD ENABLED set to 0
They also do some filetype association changes (set most of the wscript/cscript stuff to open with Notepad).

-I got the idea that I could enable the WSH for the SCOM action account - in our case, it's LocalSystem. So we'd add the following entry
HK_Users:\<-LOCALSYSTEM SID->\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings - DWORD ENABLED set to 1

The only issue is I'm not sure which SID is the LocalSystem account - I did see LocalService under the Windows NT ProfileList but I'm unsure if that's the same.

Any SCOM janitors have any other suggestions to get around this clumsy and overreaching (thus typical) secpol change that was pushed without warning or notice?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Local System should be S-1-5-18. In the NT profilelist it's referred to as systemprofile for some reason.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Wew 1903 is finally out. Made a service ring to test on my and a coworker's machines. Obviously not looking to get this in production but hey new stuff!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Wew 1903 is finally out. Made a service ring to test on my and a coworker's machines. Obviously not looking to get this in production but hey new stuff!

Same, internal test ring wants it already and it's passed my basic "will it install and not gently caress everything up" pass so I'll let them figure out what's wrong with it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The start menu likes to blow up and sometimes Cortana decides to gently caress right off so you can't search.

Other than that all is good so far.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

TBF I've had several occurrences of that in 1809 as well.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

ChubbyThePhat posted:

sometimes Cortana decides to gently caress right off

I wish Cortana would gently caress off forever

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1903 disables Cortana popping up in the OOBE, which is an improvement

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

1903 disables Cortana popping up in the OOBE, which is an improvement

Christ, finally. My co-workers are no doubt sick of me yelling, "loving SHUT THE gently caress UP, CORTANA," every time I get stuck on the manufacturer's OOBE.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Still love how 1903 puts onedrive back even if you previously removed it via regedit for everyone.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I got two seconds in before I had to stop the video in horror.

Our hold music in the internal support call center is sad, tinny ukulele music. We had an outage one night that took out an entire contracting agency's ability to log into email, and about 50 people called in at once...to a room of 3 analysts. The guy who got through to me was a frequent caller and in fairly good spirits, so I ended up on the call with him for a while while I got him to relay info and get everyone to hang up and stop hammering us. When he wasn't talking, I could hear our hold music on at least a dozen speakerphones in the background, out of sync and out of tune. It was eldritch as gently caress.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It's like the scene in Sneakers, only very very stupid.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

This is too real. I had to assembly line setup a bunch of horrible, horrible Win 10 tablets that a client bought and I couldn't hit the mute button(s) fast enough

Re: Hold music. I was on hold the other day and this song started playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9h4KZpnJU It was funny at first, but by the third play through I wanted to die.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've imaged hundreds of Windows 10 computers, and never had Cortana speak to me. Are these people (and you!) just booting them up on the default factory image?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

evobatman posted:

I've imaged hundreds of Windows 10 computers, and never had Cortana speak to me. Are these people (and you!) just booting them up on the default factory image?

Yeah, it's just in the standard OOBE. My image skips that and we have a GPO setting to disable most of the Cortana features, but if I have to boot something up from the factory image, she decides to get involved.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
There's actually a use case for booting from a factory image if you're using autopilot. Or at least a light touch image that goes through OOBE.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Spyderizer posted:

There's actually a use case for booting from a factory image if you're using autopilot. Or at least a light touch image that goes through OOBE.

Or you can stick a USB in with a .ppkg file in it that will do provisioning to your spec at that point, too.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just lol if you don't have a DVD with the entire task sequence

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our laptops and desktops haven't come with DVD drives in years although I suppose you could use a USB drive and be slow as balls.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

orange sky posted:

Just lol if you don't have a DVD with the entire task sequence
Just lol if you're using DVDs. USB is so much faster. I don't think I've booted a Windows install from an actual disc since XP. Windows 7 and prior sometimes get a bit weird if using USB 3.0 drives but a good USB 2.0 drive is still a lot faster than any spinning media could be.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

wolrah posted:

Just lol if you're using DVDs. USB is so much faster. I don't think I've booted a Windows install from an actual disc since XP. Windows 7 and prior sometimes get a bit weird if using USB 3.0 drives but a good USB 2.0 drive is still a lot faster than any spinning media could be.

Just take care with USB 2.0 vs 3.0 ports. There are some compatibility issues due to drivers that can lead to weird failures during imaging.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
With Windows 7 you had to inject the USB 3.0 drivers into the Boot Image, but with Windows 10 I haven't had to do this so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a way to auto-login a local user on a Windows 10 Pro machine? (Specifically a Surface Pro but I doubt that matters).

Used to be you could go into netplwiz and set it up there, but I'm not seeing that option anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a way to auto-login a local user on a Windows 10 Pro machine? (Specifically a Surface Pro but I doubt that matters).

Used to be you could go into netplwiz and set it up there, but I'm not seeing that option anymore.

Yes. Go to a Run dialog paste this and hit enter

control userpasswords2

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

COOL CORN posted:

Editing the registry will get you there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324737/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bingo, thanks.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I... I was being sarcastic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

orange sky posted:

Ah, a DVD, Mr. Fancy.

3.5 inch floppies all the way

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

orange sky posted:

Poe's law...

Unfortunately I've met so many idiots who learned how to do something once and then never look for a better way in the future that I'd entirely believe some "professional" IT worker is installing Windows 10 from a DVD right now in any major metro area.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

You might want to use the Autologon tool instead so that the password isn't stored in the registry as plaintext. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

The only downside is you can't really automate that tool because it requires you to accept an EULA pop-up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The EULA acceptance must write a file or registry entry though, so you probably could automate it.

Edit: Run it with /accepteula to accept the EULA. Should look like

code:
autologon.exe username domain password /accepteula

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 29, 2019

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

The EULA acceptance must write a file or registry entry though, so you probably could automate it.

Edit: Run it with /accepteula to accept the EULA. Should look like

code:
autologon.exe username domain password /accepteula

Nice, I wish I knew about that switch earlier. You're right about the registry, it saves to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Autologon\EulaAccepted (DWORD 1). I must have only looked in HKLM before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

That's the first time I've heard of netplwiz not being available for use-- is this a domain-joined Surface? Or a standalone? If it's domain-joined then yeah, netplwiz might not work.