Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Mayor Dave posted:

and if my sister is living in switzerland and i can kill two birds with one stone?

don’t kill birds their populations are already like 40% depleted

but hey i’m not the boss of you so if you wanna hang around switzerland and germany and stuff who am i to diss you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

personally i'd rather animals and nature survive. if I were rich I'd have a wildlife sanctuary

and before you ask, yes it will be walled off and have turrets to deal with the raiders

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Why hasn't anyone taught a crow or an elephant or something to post on the internet.

Someone should get on that while we still have some.

We're not that far off.

Chimp using instagram.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's not like that, really.

AoF is the only one that matters - he expands it to cover humans in general because he requires them to meet his needs.

I thought it was clear by now that I don't care that much about myself.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought it was clear by now that I don't care that much about myself.

That's not true at all, you just don't like yourself. You quite clearly don't care about anything in the world other than yourself.

e: This shouldn't be taken as a moral judgement, by the way. I don't think anyone would expect anything else of someone who's never had any genuine contact or relationship with another person before.

M Condriano has issued a correction as of 12:21 on May 25, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

M Condriano posted:

That's not true at all, you just don't like yourself. You quite clearly don't care about anything in the world other than yourself.

e: This shouldn't be taken as a moral judgement, by the way. I don't think anyone would expect anything else of someone who's never had any genuine contact or relationship with another person before.

I care about people who care about me. I care about the few (mostly one) friend I do have. I care about the people online who are empathic towards me. I just can't seem to find any IRL. And I don't know what I do wrong. I don't know if I just talk too much or too in detail, if at this age people already have their social circles locked in, if it's because I never invite people anywhere because I don't know where to take them, or all these things. I do care. But more often than not, people don't care back.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Shut the gently caress up AoF.

In other news, this thread on the Arctic Sea Ice forum is fun. I've never seen such dramatic language being used (in some posts towards the bottom referencing the ECMWF forecast): https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2591.1000.html

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I am not exactly sure when the fireflies are supposed to emerge in masse, however so far it has been literally five or less versus the hundreds or thousands in the years prior. I notice some firefly events at my local garden mid June which I would assume is the height. Getting close to that and nothing.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

dream9!bed!! posted:

In other news, this thread on the Arctic Sea Ice forum is fun. I've never seen such dramatic language being used (in some posts towards the bottom referencing the ECMWF forecast): https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2591.1000.html

Yeah, the ice has been in absolutely garbage shape for the last couple years, but we've been bailed out by weather far less conducive to melting. Looks like that streak is coming to end in spectacular fashion.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

dream9!bed!! posted:

that thread rules, thank you

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I remain really really impressed that despite having been linked in lovely subreddits for years, the ASIF hasn't been swarmed by uneducated shitlords and remains a valuable resource.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Rip Testes posted:

I am not exactly sure when the fireflies are supposed to emerge in masse, however so far it has been literally five or less versus the hundreds or thousands in the years prior. I notice some firefly events at my local garden mid June which I would assume is the height. Getting close to that and nothing.

I was really glad last summer that I got to see a few fireflies before they go extinct. I heard that there used to be a lot of them around but I only saw a few.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I saw the synchronous fireflies at my backcountry campsite in the great smokies last year, and I wasn't even aware it was a thing. It was so moving I'm going back next week to try and catch them again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

M Condriano posted:

I was really glad last summer that I got to see a few fireflies before they go extinct. I heard that there used to be a lot of them around but I only saw a few.

yeah when i was a kid there were jillions even in built up areas

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I haven't seen a mantis in probably 10 years and we used to get them a fair amount. Fireflies I haven't seen any yet this year and we had some breeding out here just last year. I have seen like two butterflies but that's all, no moths yet. No crickets either and they're usually common. It's unusually devoid of insect life so far this year and I can't tell if it's just because of the hosed up climate change winter where we got like 12 start-stop winters or if it's because they're all gone extinct now.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I always thought it was just nostalgia or being a kid or what but I distinctly remember all kinds of caterpillars, junebugs, moths, wasps, hornets and different kinds of flies, not just house flies. I haven't seen a caterpillar in 3 years, I've seen like 2 butterflies last year (neither of which were monarchs) and moths seem to be getting rare too. Same with beetles and harvestmen, come to think of it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shima Honnou posted:

I haven't seen a mantis in probably 10 years and we used to get them a fair amount. Fireflies I haven't seen any yet this year and we had some breeding out here just last year. I have seen like two butterflies but that's all, no moths yet. No crickets either and they're usually common. It's unusually devoid of insect life so far this year and I can't tell if it's just because of the hosed up climate change winter where we got like 12 start-stop winters or if it's because they're all gone extinct now.

it's both. they aren't coming back. population growth is mostly exponential but then fed off excess by other animals to keep an equilibrium. populations have dropped so much that reproduction to replenish stable numbers isn't even possible and every associated thing is dying off as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the missing bugs things fills me with more extisential despair than anything else in this thread

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Weirdly enough there's still plenty of songbirds though I have noticed I haven't seen a pigeon around here in many years now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i always hated those bug bastards so they can all go to hell

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It's extremely lol that bugs once ruled the planet and now we've killed them all in like 30 years lmao

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I like that there's at least something visible that we can point to to help people understand that the entire planet is dying, and the problem is not just co2 (though that alone will be enough to end global human civilization, I'm sure). Pretty much everyone understands to some degree that insects are the base of the food web, and anyone can see with their own eyes that the insects are disappearing.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

The fireflies are absolutely dying. This article's from 2016 but lays out why.

quote:

The causes, however, appear to be clearer: a combination of habitat degradation and loss, light pollution, destruction of water tables, and pesticides, Pfeiffer said.

The insects play a role in human health as well. Two of the enzymes fireflies use to create their bioluminescent flashes—luciferin and luciferase—are used to track the growth of cancer tumors, among other things. Fireflies have also been used to help detect bacteria in food products.

Lee-Mäder said he suspects that decades of overzealous collection by the medical industry may have contributed to fireflies’ decline. Pharmaceutical companies used to pay bounties of up to a penny per firefly to collect their chemicals for biomedical use. The pharmaceutical company Sigma Chemical Company collected up to 1 million fireflies a year and sold the chemicals for about $260 an ounce, according to a 1975 report in the Milwaukee Journal.

A 2013 study published in Ecological Modeling found that some firefly populations failed when medical harvest rates exceeded 60 percent.
I'll let the harvest rate of >60% of the population figure just stand there

Somebody's quarterly report was really great

Pity about the next quarter

:capitalism:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Complications posted:

The fireflies are absolutely dying. This article's from 2016 but lays out why.

I'll let the harvest rate of >60% of the population figure just stand there

Somebody's quarterly report was really great

Pity about the next quarter

:capitalism:

the most efficient way to distribute scarce resources, if you don't intend to have any after a couple hundred years

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

I remain really really impressed that despite having been linked in lovely subreddits for years, the ASIF hasn't been swarmed by uneducated shitlords and remains a valuable resource.

it's got a high barrier to entry just in terms of scientific literacy alone

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Socks4Hands posted:

it's got a high barrier to entry just in terms of scientific literacy alone

You get shitlords every so often jumping in complaining that people are using big words, only to quickly get laughed off the site.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Conspiratiorist posted:

You get shitlords every so often jumping in complaining that people are using big words, only to quickly get laughed off the site.

I've actually never seen a thread move at the speed the linked thread is currently moving on the ASIF forums. Nearly three pages in 24 hours.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I know, poo poo's real and it's great.

Who was it that called last year that 2019 would see some record poo poo in Arctic instability and North American agricultural losses? Might've been in the other thread.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

M Condriano posted:

I really doubt that guy has no contact or relationships with other people. That's virtually impossible

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
turns out most of the thread movement has come from a slapfight, here's a choice quote from a member who just joined:

quote:

Looks like you're afraid of logic itself. Not surprising for someone that is most likely a progressive ideologue. I'll match my logical prowess against yours any day. Any subject, any context, any stage.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Socks4Hands posted:

turns out most of the thread movement has come from a slapfight, here's a choice quote from a member who just joined:

I ask everyone not to post any of the many memes this makes you think of and just appreciate it as a thing in itself

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Spent some time outside tonight and all I saw were a handful of mosquitoes and a single silverfish, we're so hosed lmao

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I hate using anecdotal evidence to support claims but I've noticed significant numbers of wildlife gone from my area and I've lived in the same rural area all of my life.

It's really happening.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Ultimate Doge posted:

I really doubt that guy has no contact or relationships with other people. That's virtually impossible

Of course I have contact with other people. It's just that I don't have anyone who I can say effectively cares if I live or die except for my parents who do it more out of possessiveness more than anything. There's no one who invites me to events or even to watch a movie since I left college.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ace could you please start the aceofflames megathread where you post all about yourself every few hours so we can all be sure to keep up in one easy to find place that is not here

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

My cat loves to play with moths. Sadly I haven’t seen one in the last 2 years. I used to have to keep windows closed so my apartment didn’t fill with them, not anymore.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Posted to my local neighborhood board about the lack of fire flies and that's kicked off observations from neighbors about other missing wildlife that used to abundant, or at least fairly common until really recently. Asking the questions on social platforms might surface some really depressing shared observations and wake folks up to how truly screwed we are.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I usually don't get melancholy about climate change stuff, but the lack of insects is one of those things that gets me this time of year. I'm like the old man in the post apocalyptic movies.

"There was a time when after a long and hot day when evening crept in and broke the heat just a bit your work would be rewarded with a cold beer and fireflies dancing electric in the dusk sky and dark trees..." I say as finish off the 5th of whiskey and roll over in a recliner, the drone of the window AC unit struggling to keep up as the bottle falls to the floor.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

everything happening faster than expected or being worse than expected is starting to get slightly worrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

CODChimera posted:

everything happening faster than expected or being worse than expected is starting to get slightly worrying

No it's fine, just go with it or else number might not go up