Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Oh, and look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4fW0EInqw&t=189s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that I am done with watching all of Star Trek the Next Generation, I want to watch Deep Space 9. I just wish it wasn't 174 episodes. Why did shows back in the 90s have such gigantic seasons compared to today?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Why is that a problem? It's not like you have to sit and binge the whole thing as quickly as possible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Now that I am done with watching all of Star Trek the Next Generation, I want to watch Deep Space 9. I just wish it wasn't 174 episodes. Why did shows back in the 90s have such gigantic seasons compared to today?

you can skip "the muse"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

There's one or two bad ones. So it's like 171 or so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Finally, a single picture that sums up exactly how interesting and exciting Voyager is

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right, the 90s.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MATH

gently caress YEAHHHHHHH

SCIENCE

gently caress YEAHHHHHHHH

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tag yourself, I’m soft gay couple Tim and Ethan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m Robert Picardo’s sensible brown slip-ons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm the odd sensuality of Kate Mulgrew on Garret Wang's arm.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

>Red Letter Media

No thanks

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

>Red Letter Media

No thanks

?????

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm liking Ezri so far. I don't really mind having to spend so much time on her because she's a lot more interesting than Jadzia. I feel like stories involving Jadzia used to happen to her rather than be about her.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the ending of Next Generation makes a promise that the series won't ever really follow up on: Space isn't the final frontier and mankind can still evolve and discover even new ways to explore the world (Ie. Picard being able to function in multiple timelines).

Like a future Picard show that really tries to be true to the ethos of Next Gen and actually tries to advance things is about Picard joining the Q Continuum or some more heady out there business.

Maybe that's what Picard's doing on the vineyard, getting drunk every night and squabbling with Q.

Did we ever see a Sovereign on the small screen, or was that one of the ships they didn't reuse because they thought the audience would get confused?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

or was that one of the ships they didn't reuse because they thought the audience would get confused?

That.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're generally the fanboy equivalents of old men yelling at clouds that are mad at things not being like when they were kids. They're also pretty misogynistic and generally just not funny. Whatever valid criticisms there are of Discovery (and there are many) I'm not really interested in seeing them through their eyes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I too wish there were less of the good things in this world.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Hey guys just had a fresh new plot idea what if there was a rotten morally compromised core in Starfleet.

Well maybe not the core. It could be just a...Section.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

is this a satire account?

He must really like Countdown.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

is this a satire account?

Don't be a caveman.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nodosaur posted:

They're generally the fanboy equivalents of old men yelling at clouds that are mad at things not being like when they were kids. They're also pretty misogynistic and generally just not funny. Whatever valid criticisms there are of Discovery (and there are many) I'm not really interested in seeing them through their eyes.

How about instead of crying about how offended you are about youtubers you talk about star trek?????

I said come in! posted:

Uh, if you're being serious, it was to race towards the syndication goal of 100 episodes.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

I said come in! posted:

Network shows worked differently back then. Most shows were on year-round except for summer repeats, so you're looking at 22 or more episodes per year. They were also relatively cheap to produce - not every show had to have a SFX spectacle. Couple times a year during sweeps week you'd get the really good episodes but mostly it was just the same sets with an episodic formula which would allow networks to air episodes out of order once a show had enough eps to hit syndication. (Star Trek helped break this mold; TNG was the first show I remember to have an inter-seasonal cliffhanger, and DS9 must have been one of the first to have season-long and even series-long arcs.)

TV over the last 20 years really upped its game to be the prestige place for long-form storytelling, so now we get shorter seasons of better quality (edit: on balance)

Everything I just said came out of a discussion i had with a drunk uncle one time so take it with a heavy dose of gagh

Asbury fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 25, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s wild to me that there was a year where both Deep Space 9 and the Sopranos were airing new episodes. Those feel like shows from two completely separate eras.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s wild to me that there was a year where both Deep Space 9 and the Sopranos were airing new episodes. Those feel like shows from two completely separate eras.

How come the Sopranos never used phasers? Seems like it would be a good fit

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

ayyy tone. why the gently caress do they let a founder walk around their station? in charge of their security no less. they wouldn't let us be cops.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brawnfire posted:

“You! One who is moving now: I like the one that says SOME pulp.”

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
All i'm sayin counselor is if the 'i' in AIPAC stood for iconian, they'd be callin it an archaeological organization

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Farrier Theaks posted:

(Star Trek helped break this mold; TNG was the first show I remember to have an inter-seasonal cliffhanger, and DS9 must have been one of the first to have season-long and even series-long arcs.)

Dallas and Dynasty had season cliffhangers long before. It took years for Sam Malone to get his bar back.

“Who shot J.R.?”

Why is Bobby, who died last season, in my shower?

Terrorists just mowed down the Carrington wedding. Who made it out alive?

“Sammy got the bar back!”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farrier Theaks posted:

Network shows worked differently back then. Most shows were on year-round except for summer repeats, so you're looking at 22 or more episodes per year. They were also relatively cheap to produce - not every show had to have a SFX spectacle. Couple times a year during sweeps week you'd get the really good episodes but mostly it was just the same sets with an episodic formula which would allow networks to air episodes out of order once a show had enough eps to hit syndication. (Star Trek helped break this mold; TNG was the first show I remember to have an inter-seasonal cliffhanger, and DS9 must have been one of the first to have season-long and even series-long arcs.)

TV over the last 20 years really upped its game to be the prestige place for long-form storytelling, so now we get shorter seasons of better quality (edit: on balance)

Everything I just said came out of a discussion i had with a drunk uncle one time so take it with a heavy dose of gagh

The funniest thing about all that is in all my years of watching syndicated repeats in the 80s and 90s, they never actually showed any series out of order that I can recall. It was just easier to run them as they were.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blast Fantasto posted:

“You! One who is moving now: I like the one that says SOME pulp.”

:lol:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Senor Tron posted:

Maybe that's what Picard's doing on the vineyard, getting drunk every night and squabbling with Q.

Did we ever see a Sovereign on the small screen, or was that one of the ships they didn't reuse because they thought the audience would get confused?

Not once. Even when they did that Voyager ep set in the future where Kim and Chakotay gently caress with the timeline because Harry's sad, they still had Captain Geordi trundling around in an old Galaxy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blast Fantasto posted:

This but DS9 and Family Guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Not once. Even when they did that Voyager ep set in the future where Kim and Chakotay gently caress with the timeline because Harry's sad, they still had Captain Geordi trundling around in an old Galaxy.

I mean it kinda fits Geordi had a Galaxy. (And a Galaxy that's been kept up-to-date is still gonna be a top-tier ship in 20 years, how long did Excelsiors last for? And they'll still have a role Sovereigns can't fill for a bunch of things, given it's like twice the size.)

(I get very defensive about the Galaxy it's my favourite damnit)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 25, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, the Sovereign was the Hero Ship at the time. You can't confuse the viewer by making them think the Enterprise is on screen when it's actually a different ship. Didn't DS9 only get to use the Galaxy after TNG ended?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
DS9 blew up a whole galaxy glass like a week after TNG ended and they still got letters from idiots thinking they blew up the Enterprise

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How about instead of crying about how offended you are about youtubers you talk about star trek?????

Uh, if you're being serious, it was to race towards the syndication goal of 100 episodes.

I was answering a question somebody asked me but go off I guess

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Attention lower right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

jng2058 posted:

Best part of this was Geordi commanding the ship from the Ready Room and the fact it was just Voyager's ready room.