Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

nadmonk posted:

Started the valve cover gasket job yesterday.

Helpful tip: label maker for the win to label the ignition coils and fuel lines to keep the same order.

Good news! The cover isn't cracked.

Gratuitous naked N54 shot:

Current status is the new gasket is in place, valve cover is back on, bolts are in, and about half are torqued down.
So far the only lost part is a wire retaining clip for wiring connection which BMW decided to not make captive for some reason. Hopefully it's in the under tray.

Valve job on the N54 is done. I found out my torque wrench is cheap enough to doesn't go below 10 ft lbs.

Mid way point of putting it all back together:

Old gasket is predictably brittle and cracked apart when removing. Thankfully none was completely stuck to the cover or the head.
A wipe down of the head with rag sprayed with a touch of brake cleaner took the little bit of gunk off.

I wasn't able to find the wire retaining clip for one of the wiring connectors on the passenger side of the engine. I was able to bend a paper clip into shape, which appears to be retaining it properly. The entire end can be had for a couple bucks, but until that gets here, it will hold it fine.

A test drive with a proper warm up followed by some moderately spirited driving brought up no alerts, no smoke, no fresh oil smells. I think I can consider this job done.
Next up: Install the Koni Special Actives sitting in my barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
So, my wife’s 328i is giving vibration up the steering column under acceleration, but not at cruise. Any ideas?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Deadguy2322 posted:

So, my wife’s 328i is giving vibration up the steering column under acceleration, but not at cruise. Any ideas?

I'm not sure I'd really call what I had vibration, but I definitely experienced shuddering under acceleration when my spark plugs needed to be replaced. Eventually I got misfire codes, but not right away.

Maybe a bad U-joint / bent axle? Worn motor mount?
Just spit balling.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Got an x3 30i loaner and it's pretty boring

Don't like this auto shutoff at red lights either, I thought it was Busted at first

Feeling like an upper middle class soccer mom tho, might zinfandel later

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

nadmonk posted:

I'm not sure I'd really call what I had vibration, but I definitely experienced shuddering under acceleration when my spark plugs needed to be replaced. Eventually I got misfire codes, but not right away.

Just spit balling.

It definitely wasn’t misfiring, I did the plugs and coils 2 years ago.

The problem was diminished this afternoon after I picked it up from the blower motor recall, and I, thinking it may have been the parking brake doing something weird.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Clogged vanos actuator? They're right in front under the intake runner.

Did it give any codes?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Alarbus posted:

Clogged vanos actuator? They're right in front under the intake runner.

Did it give any codes?

Th dealership didn’t tell me, but I can run it over to the parts shop here in town and get it read there. Thanks for the pointer.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You can also use a obdii reader and an app (Torque) to check for codes

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Alarbus posted:

You can also use a obdii reader and an app (Torque) to check for codes

I could if I had one, or the spare money to get one. Unfortunately, not doable right this moment.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Deadguy2322 posted:

I could if I had one, or the spare money to get one. Unfortunately, not doable right this moment.

They're not as expensive as you might be expecting. A cheap elm327 is like $10-20.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

RillAkBea posted:

They're not as expensive as you might be expecting. A cheap elm327 is like $10-20.

I’m on leave from work due to burnout. A Slurpee is a big investment at the moment. Yes, it sucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I gotta say, I'm just so happy to see that the tradition of listing the auto as a manual is just as much of a thing in the e9x as it was in the e46 :allears:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Deadguy2322 posted:

nadmonk posted:

Just spit balling.

Expanding on your drivetrain ideas--would also inspect:
Guibo (dampening driveshaft coupler)
Center driveshaft bearing

The above are known to indicate failure via "shuddering" under acceleration, can be accompanied by vibration felt in rear of vehicle (more center driveshaft bearing indicating.)

fknlo posted:

I gotta say, I'm just so happy to see that the tradition of listing the auto as a manual is just as much of a thing in the e9x as it was in the e46 :allears:

Very much a small, but real nuisance when searching, agreed.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 24, 2019

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Granted BMW calls the DCT a manual when it comes to the VIN option decoder so does make things a little more difficult

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thealphabetsez posted:

Very much a small, but real nuisance when searching, agreed.

And it's entirely my fault when I see a 2012 ZCP in a decent color with 50k miles for less than $30k and I get excited before seeing a shot of the center console. I know better. At least it's real easy to spot. My favorite is when the same car tricks me more than once.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Most sites have a filter for number of doors, they should add one for number of pedals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Most sites have a filter for number of doors, they should add one for number of pedals.

lol if you think dealers wouldn't list SMGs as 3+ to get you in the door

"dead pedal counts, we just got a new ///M318ix in that's BASICALLY an M3, bro"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A paddle is just a pedal for your hands, it works

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

rscott posted:

A paddle is just a pedal for your hands, it works

lmao this is how I’ll explain to people what a dual clutch even is. Two smol clutches attached to the wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish my wheel had a clutch so I could slip it a bit when doing quick turns.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GT3 is your droid then

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

Oh man, and the reverse is the rule rather than the exception, so if you're hunting for a manual you'll have to sift through all the fuckin' auto listings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do not miss clicking thru e46 photos looking for that one single blurry interior photo to make sure it wasn't SMG

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Oh man, and the reverse is the rule rather than the exception, so if you're hunting for a manual you'll have to sift through all the fuckin' auto listings.

I just accept the fact that a manual car listed as an auto will escape me because gently caress that.

Popete posted:

I do not miss clicking thru e46 photos looking for that one single blurry interior photo to make sure it wasn't SMG

I had gotten pretty good at that before giving up on an e46 and buying my s2k. It's pretty easy with the e9x too. There have been a few that haven't gotten good pictures of the shifter area but have a great gauge picture with a big ol P on the digital readout.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I wish my wheel had a clutch so I could slip it a bit when doing quick turns.

Another option is to use the LSD and horsepowers to make the rear end help with the quick turning.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

4 pedals or gtfo (manual with a pedal parking brake)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ether Frenzy posted:

Another option is to use the LSD and horsepowers to make the rear end help with the quick turning.

How would that let me slip my steering wheel?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

How would that let me slip my steering wheel?

LSD is a hell of a drug.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

NumbersMatching320 posted:

4 pedals or gtfo (manual with a pedal parking brake)

Actually handbrake supremacy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Uthor posted:

LSD is a hell of a drug.

with the power of lsd you can see the same corner 10 times in a row

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

BlackMK4 posted:

with the power of lsd you can see the same corner 10 times in a row

And instead of drifting around a corner on a street, you can slide through time and space...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So rally drivers should be giving their navigators acid a la Dune?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

rscott posted:

So rally drivers should be giving their navigators acid a la Dune?

Yes.

Also, hell yes.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Number of Pedals:

Two (61)
Three (8)
Don't Know/Unknown (41)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Number of Pedals:

Two (61)
Three (8)
Don't Know/Unknown (41)

All but one of the don't know/unknown are very clearly two pedals as well. But of course you still have to sift through them.

e: I've come across a couple of cars I'm interested in. I've been leaning towards 2010+ coupes for multiple reasons but these are both 2008 sedans.

Car 1

Car 2

Until I buy something I'll probably get this threads opinion on various cars just to see if there's something I don't notice that someone else does. Both cars have had the bearings done. I'd probably prefer the jet black over jerez but that's definitely not a deal breaker. The owner of car 2 sent me a pic of the window sticker and it's pretty similar to the one on car 1 minus a couple unimportant things. Car 1 might have slightly more wear and tear with the additional mileage, but the cost difference between the two comes out to things like a winter wheel and tire set and then some. So is the 20k less miles and maybe slightly better condition worth the $2500 extra before negotiations?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 25, 2019

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

:byewhore:

Still need to work on the debadged area but 🤷

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hadn't driven the e46 in a few weeks. Went to go start it today and nothing...

Doesn't crank, no whining noises. All the lights come on, remote unlock for trunk and doors works.

Where should I look first?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dead battery still. If you leave an E46 for a few weeks without driving it, it will run down it's battery to the point it won't start.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Hadn't driven the e46 in a few weeks. Went to go start it today and nothing...

Doesn't crank, no whining noises. All the lights come on, remote unlock for trunk and doors works.

Where should I look first?

Sounds like it's broken and you should upgrade to an E92.

2x the E's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
hey thread, maybe a weird request, but can y'all critique / comment on my CL posting for my ZHP? I want it to find a good home and want to be a good & honest seller.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-2005-bmw-330i-zhp-automatic/6896890261.html

... But I'm also a car selling novice, and have little clue what to look out for or emphasize or avoid and whatever. Any tips / input at all is welcome big thanks