Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But he's still having the main 'Batman' series for the next year since it's now monthly. This isn't some move to quickly get someone else writing. (edit: Got this wrong.)

The idea that they threw this together in the week or so since his future plans article and the BC leak sounds pretty dubious.

edit: King's statement on the new book.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1132051825371357184

I thought King's Batman only really sung with those Catwoman issues and especially the ones with Clay Mann, so I'm excited.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Doesn't have to be 'quickly' - my bet is some kind of Bat-centric event centered around #100 (which he no longer writes, y'see).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Told youse it was marketing BS
edit:
"allowing DC to incorporate the monthly BATMAN title into the larger DC universe and continuity"
I dunno what they mean by that.

That sounds awfully like how DiDio justified the decision to fire the Batwoman creative team back in 2013, though at least King is getting the chance to continue his story in some form.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing all it means is that they wanted with 'villain' storyline to last through the 'Year of the Villain' and if it was still double shipping that'd be done half way through. And then their plans for relaunches or reboots couldn't afford King being on the book for another 15 months after that.
They promised Jonathan Hickman that he'd have the comic by 2021 :toot:

edit: Ah. Sorry. I skimmed that and thought we were getting Monthly King Batman along with Batman/Catwoman, but it's King Batman double shipping till December, where he hops off, then BM/CW starts as a monthly comic, and Batman gets a new writer.
2020 was in the first line too. Deeply ashamed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 25, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Probably want the main Batman line to fall in with other DC titles so more crossovers, more stuff like if Batman is doing x in Justice League it reflects in the Batman title. Glad King is getting to still tell his story though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eagerly anticipating the announcement for Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth on Batman where the premise is Jason Todd taking over as Batman

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I have a really specific question that I would like help with and I'm going to describe this as best as I can.

The Sandman is my jam. It's my favorite graphic novel series and I named my cat Morpheus. I have bunch of paperback copies but I got a hardback version a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that it was a 1 of 2 edition collecting half of the series but I can't find it in my amazon shopping history. It's a gigantic hardback edition with some kind of cardboard cover. It says "Absolute Sandman" on it but on amazon the absolute sandmans that come up seem to be way less issues that in what I have. I just wanna find the second (?) half of the same edition to just have the whole main series in a comparable format.

Does this request make sense? I would appreciate the help.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Bleeding Cool essentially reported an incomplete story? I'm not shocked is so, mind you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

So Bleeding Cool essentially reported an incomplete story? I'm not shocked is so, mind you.
Rich reported yesterday (before today's announcement)

quote:

Tom King is still under exclusive contract at DC Comics. I understand that he will be able continue and conclude his planned Batman storyline in one form in the Catwoman comic book or a new spinoff mini-series.
Literally the story I was told at the start of the week (before Rich even made the original post) was that coming out of Megacon "they fired [King] off of Batman, They're giving him some sort of mini-series to save face."

There are a lot of things to criticize Rich and/or Bleeding Cool at large about, but it's not as if he doesn't have good sources/a solid batting average for rumormongering.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Sean posted:

I have a really specific question that I would like help with and I'm going to describe this as best as I can.

The Sandman is my jam. It's my favorite graphic novel series and I named my cat Morpheus. I have bunch of paperback copies but I got a hardback version a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that it was a 1 of 2 edition collecting half of the series but I can't find it in my amazon shopping history. It's a gigantic hardback edition with some kind of cardboard cover. It says "Absolute Sandman" on it but on amazon the absolute sandmans that come up seem to be way less issues that in what I have. I just wanna find the second (?) half of the same edition to just have the whole main series in a comparable format.

Does this request make sense? I would appreciate the help.

Sandman was 75 issues, I'm pretty sure nothing was printed that had the first 37ish issues in a single volume. I have Absolute Sandman 1 and it's like 20 some odd issues (it stops before Lucifer gives up on hell). I think there's 4 total volumes that collect everything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Sandman was 75 issues, I'm pretty sure nothing was printed that had the first 37ish issues in a single volume. I have Absolute Sandman 1 and it's like 20 some odd issues (it stops before Lucifer gives up on hell). I think there's 4 total volumes that collect everything.

I think there were either three or four Sandman Omnibus editions that wouldn't be as tall as the Absolute editions, but would be thicker with more issues (but again, no cardboard slipcases).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Welp I'm stoked

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rich and Bleeding Cool suck but from what I've seen they tend to be mostly correct with rumors.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

If Batman And Catwoman is half as good as the double date issue I'm all in.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hasn't King had Batman slap 2 of the Robins or was that different books?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you thinking of Batman punching Dick during Court of Owls?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Hasn't King had Batman slap 2 of the Robins or was that different books?

Batman did just sock Tim in the jaw because of Bane's elaborate gaslighting campaign and because there's something inherently hosed up about Batman.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The worst thing he's really done is completely abandon Dick after Dick got shot in the head and turned into an rear end in a top hat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Moving King to a Batman & Catwoman book is a good idea because now they can have two Batman books near the top of the charts. Probably a similar reason to why they originally wanted Hush to be its own mini series instead of in the main title.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The worst thing he's really done is completely abandon Dick after Dick got shot in the head and turned into an rear end in a top hat.

I think that's more just the consequences of having a Nightwing ongoing running. You can only do so many issues with a *TAKES PLACE BEFORE BATMAN #x editor note and I'm sure Scott Lobdell was just itching to write some terrible Ric Grayson comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's weird that they've even stuck to the Ric storyline this long, considering the writer it was set up for didn't even get his first issue out the door before being exposed as a sexual abuser and dumped.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 25, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Skwirl posted:

Thanks for your response, and others for their responses. I figured out from my gmail index that I had ordered from B&N and so that's why I couldn't find it in my Amazon purchase history. It looks like it was, in fact, the Absolute version and not as many issues as I expected. I owned paperback issues before and I guess I just didn't notice how many issues where in the Absolute version since it was, in a sense, all the same to me.

I was confusing this edition with the omnibus which includes the first 37 issues: https://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/1401241883/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=absolute+sandman+volume+2&qid=1558796467&s=books&sr=1-6

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 25, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1132286021943435264

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
That's a confusing comparison, given that Morrison's B&R run began with him going off Batman. It's true that he put out The Return of Bruce Wayne during the end of the run, as well as #700 and a couple of RIP Epilogue issues around the same time, but for the most part it he was just doing one book a month.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

That's a confusing comparison, given that Morrison's B&R run began with him going off Batman. It's true that he put out The Return of Bruce Wayne during the end of the run, as well as #700 and a couple of RIP Epilogue issues around the same time, but for the most part it he was just doing one book a month.

King is also only going to be doing one book a month.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

King is also only going to be doing one book a month.
I misread the tweet and thought they were giving him both so that they could continue to put out a King-written Batman twice a month.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Does King's Batman/Catwoman mean the end of Joelle Jones' Catwoman book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FMguru posted:

Does King's Batman/Catwoman mean the end of Joelle Jones' Catwoman book?

From the article,
"...while Bat-Family titles DETECTIVE COMICS, CATWOMAN, NIGHTWING, BATGIRL and others will continue into 2020"
"“We’re excited for fans to get more of what they love from DC,” said Harras. “With Joëlle Jones continuing on CATWOMAN..."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm starting to get psyched for Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan, since I think Daredevil is Bendis' best work ever (followed closely by his first New Avengers run), and I was hoping he would do something with the street-level heroes and detectives in the DCU. But I was disappointed to see Plastic Man as one of the main characters instead of Elongated Man, the stretchy superhero who is actually known as a detective. I have every intention of giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt to tell his story, but would there be any editorial mandate to use Plastic Man in place of Ralph? Is Ralph even alive in Rebirth? With him as a regular character on the Flash TV show, it seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ralph is the superior stretcher.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ralph is the superior stretcher.

I've always had a soft spot for Ralph and Sue, of course due to Giffen and DeMatteis. I marked out when he was added to the Flash cast, and I even liked the actor a lot. He brought me back to watching for a while during Season 4, but I couldn't maintain that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm starting to get psyched for Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan, since I think Daredevil is Bendis' best work ever (followed closely by his first New Avengers run), and I was hoping he would do something with the street-level heroes and detectives in the DCU. But I was disappointed to see Plastic Man as one of the main characters instead of Elongated Man, the stretchy superhero who is actually known as a detective. I have every intention of giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt to tell his story, but would there be any editorial mandate to use Plastic Man in place of Ralph? Is Ralph even alive in Rebirth? With him as a regular character on the Flash TV show, it seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Plastic Man’s criminal past gets him a lot of mileage beyond being a jokey jokester.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I've always had a soft spot for Ralph and Sue, of course due to Giffen and DeMatteis. I marked out when he was added to the Flash cast, and I even liked the actor a lot. He brought me back to watching for a while during Season 4, but I couldn't maintain that.

I dont know why I love him so much but I do. Identity Crisis was like a personal insult.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

would there be any editorial mandate to use Plastic Man in place of Ralph?

Plas was set up as an important character in Metal and is in The Terrifics right now.
Ralph was last used (I think?) in Secret Six and even then he was hiding out as a different character for almost the whole series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 26, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Is Plastic Man an FBI agent still or has that been retconned?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
"Event Leviathan" is a really odd official way of referring to it and I hope that we get an explanation and that it's at least mildly interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That reminds me I re-read that mid-00's JLA Classified/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League run and man that did not hold up like I wanted. Ralph and Sue were fine - I mean, Sue's the smartest character in that book just as God intended - but I'm not sure why they decided to write Mary Marvel borderline special needs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

graybook posted:

"Event Leviathan" is a really odd official way of referring to it and I hope that we get an explanation and that it's at least mildly interesting.

It’s supppsed to sound official. Like a dossier or secret government file.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s supppsed to sound official. Like a dossier or secret government file.

Yeah, the logo with the redactions and all is neat; be pretty cool if there were a fully unredacted version of the logo text that made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me I re-read that mid-00's JLA Classified/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League run and man that did not hold up like I wanted. Ralph and Sue were fine - I mean, Sue's the smartest character in that book just as God intended - but I'm not sure why they decided to write Mary Marvel borderline special needs.

I think she's just super goody-goody. Captain Marvel was written the same way in the original books. It reflects the lighter nature of the Shazam characters.