Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Perfection was rad! The cool thing about it is that at any particular point in the film it can unfold in a dozen different predictable ways, so it ends up being genuinely surprising, even though if you just explained the plot it would be kind of bland. Definitely go in blind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

How is Brightburn north of 10-20% on RT? Complete VOD garbage.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

My standard metric for horror is be anything, but don't be boring. As long as its not a slog, I'll give it a shot. Even if it's utter dreck.

This is mine for all movies, not just Horror. The worst thing a movie can be is boring.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

for those posers earlier who said "all thrillers are horrors" I just watched Not Grow Old and it's a perfect example of a thriller thats not a horror

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

Yooooooo, Brightburn was really fun. I knew it was gonna be a Superman but evil movie from the trailer, but it went in an even darker direction than I anticipated. It had several crazy kills and some gory-rear end gore. I was laughing during all the kills because of how absurdly violent they were. Just a joy to watch :allears:

Superman but evil would have been better. As it stands the kid is basically evil because alien mind control (but he’s also a born psychopath!?!) and kills people out of horniness/self preservation. The self preservation kills being particularly stupid because he does them in ways that basically guarantee he’ll get caught and then proceeds to blow up buildings in broad daylight anyways.

It would have been SO much better to have a Superman story where the kid is genuinely trying to do good things but goes about doing them in increasingly violent ways.

Also, gently caress this movie’s subtext on adopted kids. It basically says (albeit unintentionally) that people are justified in being wary of adopted children because YOU JUST DON’T KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The ReZort

What is it with pedestrian zombie movies and absolutely lights-out first ten minutes? The Rezort takes place 7 years after "the war" and the entire 90 minutes it's playing, I found myself wanting more of the human story - more support groups, more people talking about their feelings being out of the conscripted armies that fought, more about the art and games that were made post-war, how a 16 year old at the Rezort feels since he was 9 during the outbreak.

These are people who literally lived through the apocalypse seven years ago, no poo poo they're broken and strange and ready to try anything, including shooting-gallery therapy, to move past that sort of trauma where 33% of the world is just loving dead and we all fought for our lives and now we go back to... what? Money? Jobs? Social structures?

There's a movie about the post-Zombie rebuilding - World War Z should have been it, like J. Michael Stracyzski's original script was - that will connect with us and use the Zombie Apocalypse as a filter to us dealing with our poo poo as Americans who lost their mind after the War on Terror and elected Trump. The ReZort is not that movie - it's utterly pedestrian and rote - but for ten glorious minutes, I allowed myself to believe it was. And for those ten minutes, I award two stars.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Superman but evil would have been better. As it stands the kid is basically evil because alien mind control (but he’s also a born psychopath!?!) and kills people out of horniness/self preservation. The self preservation kills being particularly stupid because he does them in ways that basically guarantee he’ll get caught and then proceeds to blow up buildings in broad daylight anyways.

It would have been SO much better to have a Superman story where the kid is genuinely trying to do good things but goes about doing them in increasingly violent ways.

Also, gently caress this movie’s subtext on adopted kids. It basically says (albeit unintentionally) that people are justified in being wary of adopted children because YOU JUST DON’T KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM.

Yeah I didn’t like this movie because I think a bullied 12 year old discovering that he has godlike powers would be a very interesting concept to explore, but instead the kid is just inherantly evil and is implied to be creepy even before he discovers his powers. Because he’s an alien or something. He doesn’t have any moral depth whatsoever. None of the characters do.

Also it didn’t help that I watched in the middle of the day but I didn’t find the movie scary at all.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

readingatwork posted:

If you find a baby in a glowing spaceship that crash-landed in a forest, do not adopt it, call the SPC foundation or something.

But yeah, there’s one line where the father says something like “He’s not our son, he’s a thing we found in the woods!” and the movie essentially agrees with him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sucrose posted:

Yeah I didn’t like this movie because I think a bullied 12 year old discovering that he has godlike powers would be a very interesting concept to explore, but instead the kid is just inherantly evil and is implied to be creepy even before he discovers his powers. Because he’s an alien or something. He doesn’t have any moral depth whatsoever. None of the characters do.
I read it as the kid being a nonhuman evil sociopath. He was probably programmed to be that way by whoever created him. His adopted mom wanted him to feel like a normal human being, but he's not. It just took him some time to find that out.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

I read it as the kid being a nonhuman evil sociopath. He was probably programmed to be that way by whoever created him. His adopted mom wanted him to feel like a normal human being, but he's not. It just took him some time to find that out.

But he was apparently a perfectly or mostly normal kid prior to that? :shrug:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sucrose posted:

But he was apparently a perfectly or mostly normal kid prior to that? :shrug:

It awakened in puberty.

Also, plenty of 12 year old boys would turn out like that with that power without being an alien programmed to do so. PLENTY. That's whats "scary" about it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah this is what I got. The ship is activating his "programing".

Lots of talk about him being evil Superman but he is more like a Saiyan sent to conquer Earth.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I will say this for Brightburn at least: It was better than Dragonball Evolution

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I went in to Brightburn already expecting the concept to be played fairly straightforward and for focus to be on Elizabeth Banks, so I enjoyed it.

The kid isn't a character so much as he's a scenario. He's a thought experiment for us to wonder how those around him would react to such a force.

And we don't get enough of that for sure. I think if anyone was underdeveloped it was the mother. But even then I think her motivation was set up reasonably well.

Still, it was pretty alright! Wasn't expecting the gore

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Zero One posted:

Yeah this is what I got. The ship is activating his "programing".

Lots of talk about him being evil Superman but he is more like a Saiyan sent to conquer Earth.

Yeah it seems like some people were expecting a super villain origin story.

Instead BB is "What if Goku and The Iron Giant actually carried out their intended programming?"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The Perfection is an interesting beast, and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I've been sitting on it for like 2 days. On the one hand, it's a fun ride and really tense - but, I don't think it would hold up to multiple viewings after the gimmicks and twists are known. It's a shame because it was such a cool premise and I DID enjoy it... Hm.

What other movies are like that? Where you liked it but were still disappointed?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just realized the Hammer House of Horror series is getting ready to leave Shudder. Any must watch episodes?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zwabu posted:

I just realized the Hammer House of Horror series is getting ready to leave Shudder. Any must watch episodes?

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (Obviously)

:v:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Darko posted:

It awakened in puberty.

Also, plenty of 12 year old boys would turn out like that with that power without being an alien programmed to do so. PLENTY. That's whats "scary" about it.

They wouldn’t just start randomly killing their own relatives, etc, though. They’d start out by killing their bullies and people they thought deserved it. That’s what I thought was disappointing about the movie. There’s no descent to evil, he just turns psychopathically evil, seemingly overnight.

Alternately if he’s some sort of alien cuckoo deliberately sent to be raised in and then destroy humanity I would have liked more focus on that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (Obviously)

:v:

Naw this is an actual TV series they had.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080231/episodes?season=1

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know there's some crossover between spook-a-doodles and video game spook-a-doodles so I'm here to tell you that you should all play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and A Plague Tale.

k see ya

Fluffy the Cat
Jun 1, 2000

Zwabu posted:

Definitely watch 'The Silent Scream'. I wasn't impressed with most of the episodes, but that one is brilliant. If you have time 'Witching Time', 'Rude Awakening', 'The House That Bled to Death' and 'The Mark of Satan' are worth a watch too, but 'The Silent Scream' is the only one I'd call a must-see.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fluffy the Cat posted:

Definitely watch 'The Silent Scream'. I wasn't impressed with most of the episodes, but that one is brilliant. If you have time 'Witching Time', 'Rude Awakening', 'The House That Bled to Death' and 'The Mark of Satan' are worth a watch too, but 'The Silent Scream' is the only one I'd call a must-see.

Thanks for this, friend.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sucrose posted:

They wouldn’t just start randomly killing their own relatives, etc, though. They’d start out by killing their bullies and people they thought deserved it. That’s what I thought was disappointing about the movie. There’s no descent to evil, he just turns psychopathically evil, seemingly overnight.

Alternately if he’s some sort of alien cuckoo deliberately sent to be raised in and then destroy humanity I would have liked more focus on that.

Aw gently caress I totally forgot about the scene where he rattles off trivia in class about the difference between bees and wasps (wasps are predators, bees aren’t) and how some wasps are brood parasites. So yeah, that’s definitely what they were going for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just thinking about Tina's death scene in Nightmare on Elm Street and how they filmed it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This popped on my Twitter and I'm already intrigued.

https://horrornews.net/141971/monster-squad-meets-clerks-for-the-blockbuster-video-generation-in-the-last-blockbuster/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sucrose posted:

He didn't start off killing his family, and only started because his position was specifically threatened by an extended family member. He didn't do anything to his parents until they specifically tried to kill him.

The progression was basically the same as The Bad Seed and owes a lot to it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm looking for recommendations of films with a specific similarity to Hereditary - specifically, I'm looking for movies with heavy occultism, "the occult is real," and/or the cult wins in the end. I'm already familiar with and a fan of The VVitch, and I'm eagerly awaiting Midsommar. Been playing a lot of Cult Simulator recently as well.

New or old. Modern or period. Cheesy and fun or serious and slow-burning. Let me have them! :cenobite:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of films with a specific similarity to Hereditary - specifically, I'm looking for movies with heavy occultism, "the occult is real," and/or the cult wins in the end. I'm already familiar with and a fan of The VVitch, and I'm eagerly awaiting Midsommar. Been playing a lot of Cult Simulator recently as well.

New or old. Modern or period. Cheesy and fun or serious and slow-burning. Let me have them! :cenobite:

Rosemary's Baby is the immediate obvious one I think

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

We were just talking about it a couple of days ago itt but watch A Dark Song. I think it’s exactly what your are looking for and you won’t be disappointed.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

The Lords of Salem
Rosemary's Baby

come to mind

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Kill List, The House of the Devil, and Martyrs come to mind. However, in naming these films, I feel like I have spoiled something. Sorry, you bums.

I have (sadly) never seen the Wicker Man (well, the original -- I have seen the remake which is great), but that probably fits the bill, too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The original Wicker Man is both great and fits the poster's needs. Why you would have seen the remake and not the original I.. (shakes head sadly)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

To answer my own question a bit - Angel Heart just popped back into my mind.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zwabu posted:

The original Wicker Man is both great and fits the poster's needs. Why you would have seen the remake and not the original I.. (shakes head sadly)

Do I have to post the video about the bees?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Twin Cinema posted:

I have (sadly) never seen the Wicker Man (well, the original -- I have seen the remake which is great), but that probably fits the bill, too.

I don't know whether to call this a bad opinion, a poseur's opinion or just yell 'Heretic!' and get the torches going.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zwabu posted:

I imagine there are a lot of people out there who have done this, for no reason other than a simple love of Nicolas Cage.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

It was a bit divisive, but I stand by The Last Exorcism being a pretty good movie. It's found footage and not prestige horror, but it goes in some places that match what you're describing.

Also Suspiria.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

The Omen, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Everything about new Wicker Man except for Nicolas Cage's performance and the egregious misogyny is extremely forgettable, while the old one still packs a punch and is really fun and sexy even during the slow parts. I think the version I watched was unfortunately one of the shorter cuts, but it was still really good.