Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The dealers are the ones being imprisoned for murder when an addict dies from overdose, not the pharma execs who made money off getting people addicted in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Do they at least give you a script for the ibuprofen because it's half the price at the pharmacy that way

only for major dental pain

wish i was joking

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

atelier morgan posted:

only for major dental pain

wish i was joking

I had a root canal done at Sears Dental because I was away at college and it was the closest place that took my parents insurance. That entire semester it would swell up, pop, ooze blood and who knows what else. I went back and the dentist who took an x-ray and told me it was just healing and gave me an ibuprofen script.

The semester ended and I went to my normal dentist who took an x-ray and said "they missed a root"

I am wary of dentists now and try to never go to the.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
nice flag code violation, scum

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

probably the most anti Christian thing I’ve ever read

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Number 9, jesus. Dont get a mortgage. Pay rent forever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Obviously you came here because you hate yourself and your people, so make sure you don't spread any of your awful disgusting foreign culture here, you gross dirty foreigner."

"I don't understand it, we've done nothing but help, why don't immigrants want to embrace American values???"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well at least it's not telling me to gently caress off :shrug:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Actually I’m curious how do yearly increases in mortgage payments (yes I understand there is such a thing as “fixed rate”) compare vs rent increases? I honestly get the feeling that banks are less parasitic than landlords in that regard.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

If it weren't completely exploitative and ready-for-bailout business practices, I'd say giving out mortgages would be a difficult risk assessment problem. For example if banks had to realistically assess risk and lend to people like in the movie, "It's a wonderful life" then bankers would have reasonably difficult decisions to make. Which other industries routinely extend credit out 30 years, where people typically have from 0% to 20% collateral?

Bankers can't exploit people as quickly as landlords because there is a huge lag time, but worry not we will see the ripples in the housing market crash against the beach once again, raising housing prices at least another 400% by 2038.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Actually I’m curious how do yearly increases in mortgage payments (yes I understand there is such a thing as “fixed rate”) compare vs rent increases? I honestly get the feeling that banks are less parasitic than landlords in that regard.

in California ever since the 2008 crash banks ARE your landlord, and they're worse than old ones by a country mile

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's cheaper than rent by a good bit usually. It does not arbitrarily go up like rent.

Your increases will be in property tax increasing, which is based on the value of your house. Which usually goes up and is apprased by where you live periodically. Every other year where I am for example.

Property tax can vary wildly from place to place usually being a higher % in rich areas. It's a big thing to look into when buying.

Always go fixed rate. Variable rate can get you a real low rate if you are trying to refurb and flip something, but at that you are paying long enough for it to be a major difference. DO FIXED.

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 03:37 on May 28, 2019

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

in California ever since the 2008 crash banks ARE your landlord, and they're worse than old ones by a country mile

What are you talking about? Did you didnt sign a lovely mortgage with a lovely bank or something?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
lot of pee n gees on the last two pages

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Will agree that fixed rate is the only sane way to proceed.

My mortgage is about 4 years old, it went up once in that time because my property tax and home insurance went up.

Basically, the bank (understandably) insists that you have homeowner's insurance that is satisfactory to them ( so all your collateral can't burn down) and that you pay your property taxes (so the state doesn't seize all your collateral), so instead of paying those things directly, you give their projected cost to the bank to hold in escrow, as part of your monthly mortgage payment.

If tax+insurance costs less than projected, you get an escrow refund, which you can keep or roll over into paying down your principal. If it costs more, you end up with an escrow shortage, which you can either pay off immediately, or pay off over the next twelve months as an increased monthly payment. Sometimes if you have a surplus in your escrow account the bank may also allow you to reduce your monthly payment to pare down that surplus.

I live in New York, so, the last time I rented, I was paying 1500 for a small 2br. When my lease was up the landlord wanted 1650/mo for the following year, a 10% increase. My previous apartment had been a 2br that was 1200 for 3 years in a row cause the landlord basically didn't wanna be bothered, and me and my roommate always paid our rent and never called about any repairs cause we did them ourselves, but the landlord sold and when the lease was up the new landlord wanted 1750, which was almost a 50% increase. Increases of that size don't really typically happen with fixed rate mortgages, because it's just the realities of insurance and tax rates that affect things, your interest rate and your principal are what they are, and they aren't going to change as long as you're making your payments (well your principal will decrease but you know what I mean). The bank is making a profit off of you but it's a pretty well structured and agreed upon profit, you don't have the issue of some speculative landlord deciding that /actually/ they can charge double to a new tenant, probably. And if you live in some kind of rent regulated unit here, then you'll also have landlords that actively try to make your dwelling unliveable so they can get rid of you and charge 'market rate' and deregulate your apartment. Whereas banks don't really have that power in a mortgage situation.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah. If you are getting hosed on a mortgage it's from the moment you sign (if fixed rate) even when banks sell the debt to eachother it doesnt change your contract.

Maybe if you are defaulting they will have different leniency. But they cant just demand a higher rate or change that.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
CANNOTS shouldn't have an apostrophe you idiot

but also lmao that's bad... where is this from? :cripes:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I had a root canal done at Sears Dental because I was away at college and it was the closest place that took my parents insurance. That entire semester it would swell up, pop, ooze blood and who knows what else. I went back and the dentist who took an x-ray and told me it was just healing and gave me an ibuprofen script.

The semester ended and I went to my normal dentist who took an x-ray and said "they missed a root"

I am wary of dentists now and try to never go to the.

I did not know Sears had a dental office. I’d say that’s your first problem but I used to go to sears optical for my eyes and the dr there was great. Id still be going to her except when I changed My insurance I had to go to their lovely office instead.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cowpocalypse posted:

CANNOTS shouldn't have an apostrophe you idiot

but also lmao that's bad... where is this from? :cripes:

America

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Asimov posted:

If it weren't completely exploitative and ready-for-bailout business practices, I'd say giving out mortgages would be a difficult risk assessment problem. For example if banks had to realistically assess risk and lend to people like in the movie, "It's a wonderful life" then bankers would have reasonably difficult decisions to make. Which other industries routinely extend credit out 30 years, where people typically have from 0% to 20% collateral?
This isn't really right at all. The house is the collateral, and in theory is greater than 100% of it. The down payment is just a buffer in case of market downturns (the loan is less than the value of the house).

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Spazzle posted:

This isn't really right at all. The house is the collateral, and in theory is greater than 100% of it. The down payment is just a buffer in case of market downturns (the loan is less than the value of the house).

This may be a dumb question (especially for someone’s who owns a home and should know) but what happens if you take a 30 year mortgage and pay for 29 years and miss only the last payment. Does the bank still repo the house and keep the entire auction proceeds? If so wouldn’t that be the ideal scenario for a bank?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

What are you talking about? Did you didnt sign a lovely mortgage with a lovely bank or something?

this wall street finance company called blackstone just owns literally like 50% of sacramentos houses now

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

The Nastier Nate posted:

This may be a dumb question (especially for someone’s who owns a home and should know) but what happens if you take a 30 year mortgage and pay for 29 years and miss only the last payment. Does the bank still repo the house and keep the entire auction proceeds? If so wouldn’t that be the ideal scenario for a bank?

Yes. To all of your questions. Capitalism is bullshit.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

grah posted:

Yes. To all of your questions. Capitalism is bullshit.

I mean I think by law you have to be like 90 days delinquent to start foreclosure but failing to pay your last payment isn't particularly different from failing to pay your first payment, that's sort of the idea of a mortgage and the bank will have no remorse or mercy about taking your home of 29 years just because they've made more than double the loan value off of you already

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You still get your equity out of a foreclosure sale though, it's not like the bank literally steals your house off you. If you only had a year left on a 30 year loan you'd have like 95% of the equity in the house.

The bank is still going to sell your house for below market rates because they don't give a gently caress about your equity and only need to recoup the fees and any remaining loan, but they aren't allowed to sell it for like 5% of the value if that's all they need to recoup. Idk about the US but I assume it's like elsewhere in that there are regulations around foreclosure sales that prevent that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

You still get your equity out of a foreclosure sale though, it's not like the bank literally steals your house off you. If you only had a year left on a 30 year loan you'd have like 95% of the equity in the house.

The bank is still going to sell your house for below market rates because they don't give a gently caress about your equity and only need to recoup the fees and any remaining loan, but they aren't allowed to sell it for like 5% of the value if that's all they need to recoup. Idk about the US but I assume it's like elsewhere in that there are regulations around foreclosure sales that prevent that.

It's amazing that you frequent this thread yet can still give the US legal system the benefit of the doubt

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lots of repetition in those commandments.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

It's amazing that you frequent this thread yet can still give the US legal system the benefit of the doubt

lmao can banks really sell your house for 5% of its value just because you've failed to make mortgage payments?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

lmao can banks really sell your house for 5% of its value just because you've failed to make mortgage payments?

our entire financial and legal system teams up power rangers style to deliver the worst possible result to anyone who isnt rich enough to have political influence

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I love the subtext of memorial day freebies for active duty military. Like veteran's day gives freebies for veterans, that makes sense, but memorial day giving freebies to living soldiers is like a 'not yet' sort of thing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

I was more just saying that as a joke but digging around a bit I'm actually pretty sure it's possible. They have to auction the house, but can do the entire process without involving the court or government at all other than filing paperwork, sell the house to themselves, and "pay" the remaining amount of debt towards the price. I haven't run across anything flat-out saying it but it sure as hell seems like it's structured specifically to allow ways to cleverly gently caress people over.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite part of the wiki article so far is

quote:

Historically, the vast majority of judicial foreclosures have been unopposed, since most defaulting borrowers have no money to hire counsel. Therefore, the U.S. financial services industry has lobbied since the mid-19th century for faster foreclosure procedures that would not clog up state courts with uncontested cases, and would lower the cost of credit (because it must always have the cost of recovering collateral built-in). Lenders have also argued that taking foreclosures out of the courts is actually kinder and less traumatic to defaulting borrowers, as it avoids the in terrorem effects of being sued.

In response, a slight majority of U.S. states have adopted nonjudicial foreclosure procedures (...)

Taking people to court was a waste of everyone's time because they can't afford a lawyer so we win automatically, so let's just get rid of the court system entirely, also this is less traumatic on those poor borrowers since without a right to a trial they can't be scared by the big mean judge!

But what about due process?

quote:

In contrast, in six federal judicial circuits and the majority of nonjudicial foreclosure states (like California), due process has already been judicially determined to be a frivolous defense.
A further rationale is that under the principle of freedom of contract, if debtors wish to enjoy the additional protection of the formalities of judicial foreclosure, it is their burden to find a lender willing to provide a loan secured by a traditional conventional mortgage instead of a deed of trust with a power of sale.

The only process due to you is to eat poo poo, of course

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
So do Americans still unironically believe it's the greaetest nation in the world!!1!11!!1 or are they starting to see through that now?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Weatherman posted:

So do Americans still unironically believe it's the greaetest nation in the world!!1!11!!1 or are they starting to see through that now?

More people are starting to realize America is poo poo and has always been poo poo. I'd say most people still believe America is good or at least was good at some indeterminate point in the past. The only people I know personally who honestly believe it's the greatest nation are pathologically naive.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nearly everyone i know is either still in the military and chugging that kool-aid or on a spectrum of superficially happy to suicidally depressed because whatever they might believe about the nation's past, the present is that none of us will ever have a future beyond exactly what we're doing now: scraping by with prayer and couch change on minimum wage

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

we elected trump because americans cannot function without a strong daddy to pat them on the head and say they're doing a great job.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Larry Parrish posted:

this wall street finance company called blackstone just owns literally like 50% of sacramentos houses now

Ah, those guys are buying up all the properties in Copenhagen as well and jacking up the rent.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

Ah, those guys are buying up all the properties in Copenhagen as well and jacking up the rent.

doesn't denmark have some fairly strict rent-control laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I still know a few right-wing people who think so but most people saw through that years ago yeah. The people who haven't generally rationalize it as "well we're not perfect but everyone else is worse than us" and think that for every apparent good thing you can point out about another country there's an equal and opposite bad thing that nullifies it, like sure in Europe they get like 40 legally mandated vacation days a year and healthcare is free but the cost of living is much higher and you have to wait in line to see a doctor!