Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

God knows how long it'll take to fix Imperator. Longer than Rome 2, for karmic irony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imperator: Sweet, new Stellaris Content

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is Imperator that broken? The pre-release info made it look like CK2:Rome, but I didn't have the cash to drop on it when it came out.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

binge crotching posted:

Is Imperator that broken? The pre-release info made it look like CK2:Rome, but I didn't have the cash to drop on it when it came out.

Yeah I had it on my wish list and I’m seeing that the reviews on steam are overwhelmingly negative. It’ll probably be good in 6 or 7 dlcs and when it’s 75% off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

binge crotching posted:

It's painfully unfinished and lacking in flavor. As an example, it took them a major patch to implement Rome (you know, the eponymous faction of the game) having two consoles - prior to this they only had one ruler because that's what everybody else had. :effort:

In its current form it's a half-functioning map painter with very little differentiating one nation from another with incredibly passive AI, a really tedious mana management system that boils down to "get more oratory because it's the only one that matters", and a frustrating UI that lacks a ton of QoL features that have been present in CKII and EU4 for close to half a decade now. I'd argue it's probably 1-2 years and 1-2 major expansions away from even feeling finished, let alone good.

e. Potentially longer, because the lead dev's response to a lot of criticism seems to be "it was designed to be that way" and it feels like Imperetor is going to end up having it's initial vision completely altered to make a more palatable game, like what happened with Stellaris.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 28, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'd like to enter a temporal anomaly that spits me out one week from today thx

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

binge crotching posted:

Ironically, several people in that thread would be happy to lecture you on how actually the game was never marketed to be like CK2 and if you'd religiously followed 1000 pages of pre-release devblogs you would know that, and all the negative reviews are due to gamer entitlement!

Short version: it kind of tries to be like CK2 and kind of tries to be like EU4, and in the end does neither very well. It's under-baked and boring.

I own it and I'm playing Stellaris instead!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Well, that's kind of sad to hear :(

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just to be clear Johan released a big thing a few days ago where he directly addressed a ton of issues with the game and vowed to completely redo the mana system in its entirety and scheduled it for the next major patch so things are already being done for Imperator right now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So the Guardians of the Galaxy trigger fired for the archivist fallen, but there's no galaxy crisis present, nor any signals of one impending.

I'm a fanatical purifier about to attack the jingoistic reclaimers and I've conquered ~60% of the galaxy, so I'm definitely a problem to the galaxy. But the archivists are okay with me?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lol the fanatic purifiers somehow got ahold of FE ships in the midgame so I managed to get ahold of dark matter power and thrusters very early. Didn't roll the shields on the debris though, alas.

Also hell yeah pre-ordered the DLC

e:

HelloSailorSign posted:

So the Guardians of the Galaxy trigger fired for the archivist fallen, but there's no galaxy crisis present, nor any signals of one impending.

I'm a fanatical purifier about to attack the jingoistic reclaimers and I've conquered ~60% of the galaxy, so I'm definitely a problem to the galaxy. But the archivists are okay with me?

If another FE awakens any FE can possibly awaken to fight them as well. It's heavily weighted to be the one with the opposite ethos but if they're not around / the RNG decides otherwise it can be any other one.

e2: Well I don't think the robot FE can but you know.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 29, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My favorite way to play Stellaris is to do gimmicky roleplay empires.

This time around, I made Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated, from the Phineas and Ferb cartoon. My son and I used to watch that all the time!

My goal was simple: to conquer the entire Tri-State area!

I went full on tech-focus. I had to build various -Inators! I had an All-Seeing-Inator (sentry array, complete), a Science-inator (science nexus, complete), a Shut-Up-Physics-Inator (matter decompressor, stage 2), and a giant battery-inator (Dyson sphere, stage 2). I also had a Clean Sweep-inator (neutron beam colossus) that I never got to use, because...

I won. I conquered the Tri-State area in 2374!

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

This is the type of quality posting I come to the Stellaris thread for. Well done.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So what are the fleet doctrines and ship designs that are the go to sure things these days? Is it still a mix of kinetics and plasma with some torpedoes in the mix or some other flavor? And is it still corvettes and battleship stacks?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Monofleets are still king, generally the two most popular are all corvette fleets or all battleship + a single titan fleets. I've seen some strats where you swap all corvettes out for all destroyers but I haven't tried it.

Corvettes: either all missile boats with torpedoes, or point defense and small weapons + as many afterburners as it takes to get them to max evasion and have them charge in ahead of your other fleets as a dodge tank.

Battleships: Either Tachyon Lance + Kinetic Batteries or Mega Cannon + Neutron Launchers. The former has better sustained damage, the latter a better initial volley. All large weapon slots.

Titan: Perdition Beam + large weapons that match what you have on your battleships. Again, all large weapon slots.

Make everyone in PvP hate you for being "that guy" option: All arc emitters and cloud lightning on everything. This does less raw damage numbers wise but bypasses all shields and armor and goes straight for hull. The caveats are that a) the weapons have very short range, particularly the small variants on corvettes, and b) you have to go all in on this strategy and any ships with weapons that need to chew through armor/weapons become useless.

Also obviously this all goes out the window when the endgame crisis hits because you always respec your ships to counter the specific crisis.

e. Also this all comes with the caveat that in PvE you can realistically do whatever the gently caress you want and still be fine.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 29, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like having 1 fleet of corvettes for quick response, ~100.

The rest are basically 20 PD destroyers and the rest battleships, occasionally with a titan or two in there. I focus on a 2/3 plasma/neutron 1/3 kinetic.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I still haven't won the Galatron, and I really want to before the new update makes it way easier to get that cheev. I like how it is right now. 2.5% chance to ever roll it in a single game or w/e.

Demiurge4 posted:

So alphamod got taken down after some workshop drama. It’s a poo poo situation and the circumstances are kind of messed up but the tldr is that someone uploaded a fork called betamod that added one line of code that makes the xenophobe faction acknowledge aliens under stratified society as being enslaved. This pissed off alphaash and a bunch of drama ensued.

I personally think Alphaash is a toxic person who encapsulates the worst attitudes of the modding community but it’s starting to look more and more like targeted harassment after the guy who uploaded the fork says poo poo like this.

So just upload it again if you still have the files. He doesn't own the content. The community does. It's literally in the TOS.

What a loving dweeb, though :hmbol:

You can't "steal" a mod. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. Such is the way of the Workshop...

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 29, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nah, apparently pdx put their foot down on it and took down the fork. They won't allow copycats on the workshop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Preston Waters posted:

I still haven't won the Galatron, and I really want to before the new update makes it way easier to get that cheev. I like how it is right now. 2.5% chance to ever roll it in a single game or w/e.

Yeah, the Galatron achievement was absolute bullshit, right up until I actually got it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Preston Waters posted:

He doesn't own the content.

As it says in the post you quoted, she.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah, apparently pdx put their foot down on it and took down the fork. They won't allow copycats on the workshop.

That's their right to do so but lol it goes against the spirit of the workshop.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm totally ok with this to be fair. Though some room for nuance is appreciated. Old mods that are still public and abandoned should be free to take (after at least one attempt to contact the owner). I think that's more than fair.

I'd be mighty loving pisses if someone took my planet modifier mod and claimed it as their own on the workshop. Considering it's well over 60.000 lines I can use it as a project reference for future jobs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Preston Waters posted:

So just upload it again if you still have the files. He doesn't own the content. The community does. It's literally in the TOS.

What a loving dweeb, though :hmbol:

You can't "steal" a mod. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. Such is the way of the Workshop...
You are not a good person. Also, very shortsighted.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting flashbacks to that oblivion gate skyrim mod thing. Not sure what it is about modding communities but they always seem to have an a unexplained bad ratio of arrogant people.

Players who expect unpaid priority support and think authors owe it to them to implement their special snowflake requests.

Authors who clutch pearls so hard over their "artistic vision" while being too stupid to see the irony in such an attitude. Their entire ability to mod literally requires that the original authors of the game behave in the exact opposite way that they do, in that they are happy for people to modify their work for themselves and others.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Splicer posted:

You are not a good person. Also, very shortsighted.

We've hit a new low as a forum if you can call someone a bad person for laughing at nerds. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with forking a mod as long as you're not trying to claim ownership.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I can't wait for all mod communities to turn into Bethesdas, where making a compilation of mods to ensure compatibility and remove the onus on users to spend 20 hours to set up the game is somehow a bad thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vengarr posted:

We've hit a new low as a forum if you can call someone a bad person for laughing at nerds. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with forking a mod as long as you're not trying to claim ownership.
Laugh away, I am. It's crazy to pull your mod because someone released a forked, fully attributed version entirely to provide support you either lacked the time or motivation to add yourself and is the kind of self-owning drama I feed on.

But re-uploading an extensive labor of love mod after the owner takes it down is a dick move no matter how legal it is. Schadenfreude not shitheadery.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

Laugh away, I am. It's crazy to pull your mod because someone released a forked, fully attributed version entirely to provide support you either lacked the time or motivation to add yourself and is the kind of self-owning drama I feed on.

But re-uploading an extensive labor of love mod after the owner takes it down is a dick move no matter how legal it is. Schadenfreude not shitheadery.

Why is that a dick move? I don't think that the creator of a mod has the automatic right to deprive people of their work when ever they feel like it.

I guess it depends why it was taken down maybe, but I struggle to think of a situation where it would be anything more than a tantrum

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Chalks posted:

Why is that a dick move? I don't think that the creator of a mod has the automatic right to deprive people of their work when ever they feel like it.

Why not?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Because they literally don't. Like, it's in the TOS that they don't.

They decided to provide something for people to enjoy. Saying "actually no stop having fun with that now I don't want you to" isn't something they can do. They can decide to stop working on it, sure, but they can't stop other people from enjoying their creation.

If you think there's a good reason why someone should be able to do this then that'd be interesting to discuss. I can't think of any reason besides a desire to lash out at people and "why not" isn't really a reason.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do this thing! It's legal!
It's a dick move even if it's legal.
Why is that a dick move?
Why not?
Well firstly, it's not illegal.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 30, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Worst Limerick Ever

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

Do this thing! It's legal!
It's a dick move even if it's legal.
Why is that a dick move?
Why not?
Well firstly, it's not illegal.

No, my point is it's not a dick move because there's no reason to give people the ability to revoke their content. Like giving people the ability to lash out isn't a good reason. Revoking content hurts people who want to enjoy it and provides no benefit to anyone. That is a reason to prevent people from doing it.

What's your reason for wanting it to be a thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao that the only reason you see to revoke content is to hurt gamers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao that the only reason you see to revoke content is to hurt gamers.

Literally asking for reasons besides having a tantrum and the responses are "it sure would improve my reply if I could think of a reason but lol :justpost:"

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
People can do whatever the hell they want with their work. It's their work. They made it. They made it because they wanted to make it and if they want to unmake it there's a button there specifically for doing so. You didn't buy it, you didn't pay anything for it, you're just demanding it exists for your enjoyment. And if you subscribed to it, it hasn't been removed from your computer anyway. You don't really have any say in it as an end user, no matter how you feel about it.

Basically you are the one being a dick. Also a massive crying baby, god.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 30, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Black Pants posted:

People can do whatever the hell they want with their work. It's their work. They made it. They made it because they wanted to make it and if they want to unmake it there's a button there specifically for doing so. You didn't buy it, you didn't pay anything for it, you're just demanding it exists for your enjoyment. And if you subscribed to it, it hasn't been removed from your computer anyway. You don't really have any say in it as an end user, no matter how you feel about it.

Basically you are the one being a dick.

If you want creative control over your work then don't base it on someone elses work. Don't you see any irony in making something based on something someone else has done, then trying to make demands about what other people can do with your work?

Write a game and dictate what people do with your IP all you want. Write a mod and you're part of an ecosystem where everyone builds on everything else and you don't get to throw your weight around.

Anyone familiar with the early Minecraft modding community knows how utterly toxic it is when mod makers start trying to dictate how other people can use their stuff.

Basically what I'm saying is, if some modder is having a tantrum, ignoring them is a cool and good thing to do.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Black Pants posted:

Basically you are the one being a dick. Also a massive crying baby, god.

It is generally acknowledged that taking your ball and going home is extremely petty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's how Steam workshop works. If you take away the ability for modders to modify their own goddamn stuff how on earth would they push updates at all. Steam isnt version control. If we hosed up or figure out how to improve our mods we'll upload the drat thing.

Also why the gently caress shouldnt I just be able to wipe my tracks if I dont want the hassle of dealing with the mod anymore? Do you know how many loving petulant messages you get from gamers who demand you buy every single update of a game and update your mods to match when you're doing whatever else now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Shadowlyger posted:

It is generally acknowledged that taking your ball and going home is extremely petty.

In the end of the day it's still your ball. Why does everyone else get to demand that you let them play with your ball?