Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
FE can even put on a good race at Monaco, the literal most boring racetrack in the entire world.

Poor Bird. He's the definition of No Luck At All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRGSCJ641A

Already had a big wreck at the start.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Same last week at Brands in the Sprint series. Blancpain is now an extraordinarily expensive stock car series.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

CactusWeasle posted:

Same last week at Brands in the Sprint series. Blancpain is now an extraordinarily expensive stock car series.

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Yeah, you get your fair share of Vadim Kogay’s, but it’s never dull.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
In the sense of being almost full contact and lots of big crashes. No, its not bad at all; it's a byproduct of very close competition.

Sucks for Hawksworth, got spun out of a podium spot with 3 laps to go :(

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WApHh5eWnYQ

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Blancpain sprint series from Canadian Motorsports Park live now. Shouldn't be blocked for those in the US I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVPeu1vT4I

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:eyepop:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

There are proper Minis racing in a support series at the BTCC and is absolutely immense, they're going three wide in a battle for the lead and they just look like a bunch of RC cars

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Nürburgring 24 qualifying race is happening atm. It’s 2 hours into the 6 hour race. I’d keep watching but it’s 10pm in Australia and I need to get up for work tomorrow.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is still live at the moment, but here is a random live stream YouTube pulled up... They had a quality Forza style race start...

(At the moment, It's still live so you'll have to go backwards a bit...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irQea-k_NA

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Macau: Massive pileup in a narrow corner

Pau: hold my beer

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Basticle posted:

Macau: Massive pileup in a narrow corner

Pau: hold my beer

That's fairly weak compared to a Macau crash that can block a track. At least the undamaged cars could still get through the crash area

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The BBC has written some good poo poo about Kat Legge: https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/48328333

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pruett with a brutal article about the state of WEC, IMSA, ACO, and even appearances by NASCAR and IndyCar. The short of it is that it's a mess at the moment. Manufacturers don't agree on what sort of hybrid system to use, series are waffling back and forth trying to appease everybody, and Ford taking their toys and pouting.

SportsCar racing is hilarious.

https://racer.com/2019/05/28/pruett-fords-gt-decision-a-harsh-reality-check/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Pruett with a brutal article about the state of WEC, IMSA, ACO, and even appearances by NASCAR and IndyCar. The short of it is that it's a mess at the moment. Manufacturers don't agree on what sort of hybrid system to use, series are waffling back and forth trying to appease everybody, and Ford taking their toys and pouting.

so we really did peak in about 2014-15, eh? time for sports cars to be a bit of a clown shoes mess for a little bit. Such is life, such is the circle of sportscar racing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/WynnsRacing/status/1133373357913726977

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

U N F

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cygni posted:

Super GT is still pretty cool.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

so we really did peak in about 2014-15, eh? time for sports cars to be a bit of a clown shoes mess for a little bit. Such is life, such is the circle of sportscar racing.

It’s a shame since those 14/15 P1 regs seem to be what Ford are looking for now.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Cygni posted:

The idea of the ACO allying itself with IMSA for Le Mans makes me giggle and salivate like I'm doped up on laughing gas

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

It’s a shame since those 14/15 P1 regs seem to be what Ford are looking for now.

LMP1H but at maaaaaaaybe like half the budget or less?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

"get serious about hybrids, raise the power level and performance capabilities to something more than the bare minimum, and Ford would return" doesn't really go with lower budgets unfortunately

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If only I could think of an example of the potential downsides of a racing series focusing too heavily on hybrid powertrains

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

"get serious about hybrids, raise the power level and performance capabilities to something more than the bare minimum, and Ford would return" doesn't really go with lower budgets unfortunately

Ford weren't exactly jumping into LMP1H at the time either though. Every OEM wants maximum return for minimum investment. They want the price advantage of the minimal-development DPi formula while also having a hybrid to sell to the board/the public and likely being able to run in both IMSA and WEC. It's not quite having your cake and eating it too, but it is close.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

net work error posted:

Super GT is still pretty cool.

It’s a very liberal silhouette formula. What I’m saying is bring back GTU/GTO and keep DPi.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They all want spec series costs with unlimited development bragging rights.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Huski Boi posted:

If only I could think of an example of the potential downsides of a racing series focusing too heavily on hybrid powertrains

The problem with F1 is it's just pure power. When we had the Audi/Porsche/Toyota era, it was interesting to watch because Toyota was slower, but made up for it in fuel mileage, which has a bigger impact over a series that does exactly one stop a race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They all want spec series costs with unlimited development bragging rights.

Yeah, i think Ford's argument is bad. DPi works because its a cheap formula with active BoP. If the formula is no longer cheap because people are developing in house hybrid systems, youll get right back into that P1 cycle (including P1 IMSA) of privateers bowing out, grids collapsing, 1-2 manufacturer fields etc.

Let em walk imo. Ford have been weird pouty kids for the last decade or so in racing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

How do you achieve that though?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

How do you achieve that though?

You don’t, which is why Ford is trying to achieve something impossible. For DPi specifically they might not want to add too much more net power (to keep top speeds down at, say, Daytona), and keeping the total power roughly the same while adding more hybrid power isn’t achieving much. They’re right, the proposed 30-50hp bump isn’t much, but suggesting going for LMP1H power levels (and hybrid tech) on DPi is kind of insane.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's all fair.

I think we've reached the point where unrestricted development motor racing is essentially going to be dead, F1 is just about viable but that's it.

And if, as it looks they're going to BoP even the hypercars out the wazoo and we're essentially accepting prototype racing in the traditional sense is dead then maybe super DPi is an option. Because at least it's a lovely BoPed top class that actually functions.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

The problem with F1 is it's just pure power. When we had the Audi/Porsche/Toyota era, it was interesting to watch because Toyota was slower, but made up for it in fuel mileage, which has a bigger impact over a series that does exactly one stop a race.

Then Toyota flipped it around and turned it into a magic bullshit UFO that set the fastest ever time at Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe and then promptly failed to finish the full 24 hours without major time in the pits. Ironically, Porsche also failed to complete this, but it turns out an LMP1H is about 90 minutes faster than a 2017-spec LMP2.

At first all three cars had totally different approaches to energy stores, one using a gas-exchange system (Toyota?), one using complex flywheels (I think it was the Audi) and one using Li-Ion batteries (919 baybeeeeeee).
I'm very leery of making any changes to try and lure a Ford in because ultimately Ford is going to do whatever they want for the reasons they want and even their public statements can be totally misleading, ultimately it'll all come down to the fact that it has to be a slam dunk thing financially and for the image of Ford. Same thing with Ferrari, they can make all the right noises but it's unlikely their hissy-fit at FOM is ever going to reach the point where they actually pump out the money for another top tier racing series.

Dudley posted:

That's all fair.

I think we've reached the point where unrestricted development motor racing is essentially going to be dead, F1 is just about viable but that's it.

And if, as it looks they're going to BoP even the hypercars out the wazoo and we're essentially accepting prototype racing in the traditional sense is dead then maybe super DPi is an option. Because at least it's a lovely BoPed top class that actually functions.

It'll be "LMP-Homologated" or something. Whatever the ACO does it'll find the most ridiculous technicality to avoid the image of cribbing from IMSA.
I am not and never will be a fan of BoP for a class that is the top of the pile at Le Mans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

That's all fair.

A decent idea might be going to a spec P2/P1 tub in the future. Or at least having it as an option. Not as extreme as basing the DPis off of the P2s, but something that privateer teams (or super skint factories) can make use of to base their car off of. Would still require some engineering but would save the cost of safety cell testing.

If memory serves, the Super GT factories have already gone to a spec tub with bespoke aero and bodies. Certainly the “Mother chassis” have provided an inexpensive option there for a few different brands too.

This next rules package feels like a bandage between the bonkers LMP1H era and what would be a big shift to hydrogen or other non-petrol power, where in theory it would be the big OEMs deciding to use endurance racing as a test bed and be more willing to throw cubic dollars at it. It was always the case but it’s frustrating how much they’ve messed it up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think the Super GT mother chassis is for cars racing under the JAF specs not the FIA GT3 specs so they build around the spec chassis and I think they can use the JAF spec engine too? That's how you get the Evora and Prius in the mix but those use different engines.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

I think the Super GT mother chassis is for cars racing under the JAF specs not the FIA GT3 specs so they build around the spec chassis and I think they can use the JAF spec engine too? That's how you get the Evora and Prius in the mix but those use different engines.

Super GT GT300 has three kinds of cars: GT3s, the Mother chassis cars (using spec tub and motor), and then JAF cars homologated by the organizer and national organization. The JAF cars include Subaru and Toyota.

But also I think the GT500 factory cars share the same carbon tub. The bare small survival cell. Not sure if the DTM cars have done the same.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dudley posted:

That's all fair.

First off, the ACO's hypercar regs are basically dead in the water. Second, unrestricted development in motorsport sounds great but in practice it always follows the same pattern. One OEM wants to win more than anyone else, spends 2-3x the budget, wins everything for a while, then fucks off and whichever series it is goes to poo poo. We all love the idea of different teams each using a completely different approach to answer the question "how do I lap Le Mans faster than everyone else?" but as the WEC shows, when one of those competing solutions proves slightly better than the others, everyone else will abandon their approach and the grid converges on the same solution.

Every motorsports series has to balance the demands of being a sport, being entertainment, and being a venue for automotive technical development. You need to accept that the last of those is almost always the least important to most of the stakeholders.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
to be fair I'm perfectly fine with riding 7 years of garbage if we gives us another 3 magical years of LMP1-H awesomeness. The world is swimming in spec or near spec series, don't take this from me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

to be fair I'm perfectly fine with riding 7 years of garbage if we gives us another 3 magical years of LMP1-H awesomeness. The world is swimming in spec or near spec series, don't take this from me.

yeah like when I started watching Le Mans in the mid-00s it was basically all customer teams and it was fun, it's just part of the good ol Sportscar Boom Bust Cycle

what I don't want is BOP poo poo in Le Mans, I already look at Touring Car Times where half the articles are teams from WTCR or whatever it's called complaining to the organizers about this week's BOP adjustments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
LeMans 1994 was really cool in hindsight because it was basically a Formula Libre made up of cars from defunct series. Where else could you see Group C cars and IMSA GTO cars racing one another?