Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kanfy posted:

A quick peek at youtube tells me that it is true, though obviously cultural and linguistical differences mean stuff like is always hard to compare one-to-one. Well, not like there's much ambiguity about the matter either way.

What, you mean you don’t embrace and phase through your platonic bros every time you thank them for something? poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

werdnam posted:

Sorry, you'll pry the no encounter, x4 speed, and auto-battle toggles from the PC version out of my cold, dead hands.

Tell me more, though, about how the PS2 version looks better. This is counterintuitive to me and I'm intrigued.
Apparently I'm the only person on earth who cares, but they completely changed how they model the lead characters' faces and I think it looks awful, especially Tidus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Apparently I'm the only person on earth who cares, but they completely changed how they model the lead characters' faces and I think it looks awful, especially Tidus.

But Tidus has always looked awful.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beat After Years on the Steam version. I actually enjoyed it, even if the plot is just a excuse to have all your favorite FFIV party members and NPC just fight a bunch of monsters. They removed the terrible fan service refight against other Final Fantasy bosses, so that is a plus.

Only negative is the fact I can't watch the ending because Luca was in my final party and I guess there is a bug where the game crashes when she talks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

But Tidus has always looked awful.

what about dissidia tidus

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

what about dissidia tidus

Still awful, unless it's the cutscene in Duodecim where he fights Jecht without a shirt for whatever reason.

Less is more.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Black mages fling dozens of fireballs at Ramza, who remains completely unflinched. "Why won't you die?" they yell.

Ramza tips his fedora at them and chuckles. "HEH, God's not real."

'blame yourself or blame god'
'but i don't believe in-- oh. jerkbag'

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvG1e4cED4

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wrapping up my TZA playthrough, and I’m reminded of a few quirks regarding its pacing. It’s pretty common knowledge XII got rushed out the door toward the end, and while I adore this game, it’s pretty obvious where things were spliced and stapled together to make it a coherent experience. Some things:

- I suspect Al-Cid was supposed to play a much larger role, as well as the whole of Rozarria. As it stands right now, he just kinda shows up twice and peaces out with a “you should visit sometime”. I wish.

- Anything happening in Balfonheim seems to have been done in a mad rush as a connecting point between Giruvegan, the Pharos, and the Bahamut.

- The Bahamut was clearly not finished as a map.

- Archades wasn’t really a fleshed out concept either.

- I suspect some areas got quickly padded out to extend the play time, like the Pharos.

I know interviews state that the game was nearly done when Matsuno left, but I get the feeling it wasn’t. There’s a big tonal shift after Bur-Omisace, and the back half of the game has a feeling of “well, we created all these assets and locations, let’s just kinda hook them together and hope for the best”.

That said, this is still probably my favorite FF game - the production behind it is just fascinating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HD DAD posted:

Wrapping up my TZA playthrough, and I’m reminded of a few quirks regarding its pacing. It’s pretty common knowledge XII got rushed out the door toward the end, and while I adore this game, it’s pretty obvious where things were spliced and stapled together to make it a coherent experience. Some things:

- I suspect Al-Cid was supposed to play a much larger role, as well as the whole of Rozarria. As it stands right now, he just kinda shows up twice and peaces out with a “you should visit sometime”. I wish.

- Anything happening in Balfonheim seems to have been done in a mad rush as a connecting point between Giruvegan, the Pharos, and the Bahamut.

- The Bahamut was clearly not finished as a map.

- Archades wasn’t really a fleshed out concept either.

- I suspect some areas got quickly padded out to extend the play time, like the Pharos.

I know interviews state that the game was nearly done when Matsuno left, but I get the feeling it wasn’t. There’s a big tonal shift after Bur-Omisace, and the back half of the game has a feeling of “well, we created all these assets and locations, let’s just kinda hook them together and hope for the best”.

That said, this is still probably my favorite FF game - the production behind it is just fascinating.

FFXII was the first of Squares massive development hells, there was a lot of cut content and rewrites. Like... if we go to one of the first bits of revealed information from the game.

https://archive.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2003/112003a.html

Any game that takes 6 years and 3 separate directors are going to have visible issues.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Something I always thought was weird in XII is how a bunch of the bosses come out of nowhere and your party has zero reaction to them before or after the fight

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

werdnam posted:

Sorry, you'll pry the no encounter, x4 speed, and auto-battle toggles from the PC version out of my cold, dead hands.

Tell me more, though, about how the PS2 version looks better. This is counterintuitive to me and I'm intrigued.

Were these added in the xbone / switch versions? I only played the X/X-2 remaster on PS3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Help Im Alive posted:

Something I always thought was weird in XII is how a bunch of the bosses come out of nowhere and your party has zero reaction to them before or after the fight
Is that unique? It seems like something that just feels weirder given the seamless combat transition and it still gets unique treatment in 12 because you get the pose and victory music.

I feel like the older FFs just have a unique map model that you bump into and get a special wipe while the battle loads, not every boss fight was a story zinger. I guess there were more prefight barks or post fight dusting themselves off?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Were these added in the xbone / switch versions? I only played the X/X-2 remaster on PS3.

No. Switch only got touch screen quick heal.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This might be just me, but I always cringe at the ultra HD gigantic screens showing game footage during concerts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know people poo poo on Vaan but the story of 12 is such a mess hes basically the second most important PC by merely having any influence whatsoever over the actions of the game only decision maker.

Also Balthiers backstory is just weirdly pointless.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

This might be just me, but I always cringe at the ultra HD gigantic screens showing game footage during concerts.

no same that poo poo is tacky as hell

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Barudak posted:

I straight up forgot what his backstory even was until I replayed FF12 when TZA came out on PS4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I straight up forgot what his backstory even was until I replayed FF12 when TZA came out on PS4.

So did the devs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

I know people poo poo on Vaan but the story of 12 is such a mess hes basically the second most important PC by merely having any influence whatsoever over the actions of the game only decision maker.

Why exactly do you think that's bad, I quite like vaan being an influence on ashe's decision

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
In fact I'd go so far as to say vaan being the reason Ashe doesn't nuke the empire is a good story beat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never said it was bad, merely that the story is such a mess that 4/6th of party dont really have a role or purpose in the story to varying degrees

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I’d really only argue Fran and Penelo are bordering on “why are they here again?”. And even then, those two are analogous to each over for being the Sky Pirate and wanna-be Sky Pirate’s partners in crime.

Ashe is out to restore her kingdom and is arguably the “main character” of the story. Basch is her loyal knight who has a personal stake in restoring Dalmasca, as well as confronting his Judge brother. Balthier reluctantly gets caught up in trying to stop his lunatic father, the second biggest villain in the game. And Vaan is the commoner who lost everything to Archadia, and ends up being the one to help ground Ashe from going full Anakin.

I mean it ain’t perfect, but they do have purpose.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really think the story is that much of a mess tbh, I think people say that because what they really mean is "there was like fifteen hours of meandering combat areas between the most recent cutscenes and I forgot what the gently caress we were doing" which is absolutely fair. The game really needed to do a better job of checking in on the actual plot and there was way too much padding in some areas. Cut the various -sands in half, cut the sandseas in half, there is way too much pointless desert in the game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i wanted more areas to wander around in tbh

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Dalmasca deserts are vibrant and cool. Especially the Estersand by the river.

Nobody likes Ogir Yensa but Nam Yensa sandsea was nice looking.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

An ocean of sand is a cool idea but in PS2 graphics it just looks like a normal desert

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beat Schizo for the first time, only for the weakened party to get in a fight with a Dragon who wiped them out. That's one way to learn of the No-Escape glitch. Wonderful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Phantasium posted:

I finished it with 70~ hours on the clock and I thought the game was too short. I was legit sad when it was over, I don't get that feeling very often when I beat video games

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beat Schizo for the first time, only for the weakened party to get in a fight with a Dragon who wiped them out. That's one way to learn of the No-Escape glitch. Wonderful.

You didn't go back to the pool to heal up?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phantasium posted:

I would have preferred a bigger game but with greater variety of environments and more actual story to flesh it out, but I'm only up to the first time through the Salikawood on my current playthrough and haven't otherwise finished it since my first time on the PS2, so my current opinion might change when I actually get through the rest of the game tbf

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So what was that one FF boss that was a roadblock to you when you were a dumb babby first playing the game?

Like, FFX is such a well-designed game. The Chocobo Eater is a test to see if you are keeping up with your sphere grid or if you have figured out how the battle system works. You can lose but it's to show you that you need to, well, git gud for what's to come. The real roadblock is the boss that comes after. SinSpawn Gui was a nightmare for me as a kid and I think a lot of people share that experience. I had no idea how to properly use the Sphere Grid or how useful things like Cheer were and it was all really lame and embarrassing on my part.

FFX:
Sinspawn Gui
Evrae
Seymour 3

FFV:
Archeoavis

FFVI:
Atma Weapon

FFXII:
Judge Ghis

FF4:
Cagnazzo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

it’s fine

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deserts are like sewers, there's never been a good one in a videogame.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's all been downhill since the Desert of Death and Kislev Sewers, I agree.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

at least the Kislev Sewers had a really cool, tense killer-on-the-loose kinda vibe going even if the dungeon itself still sucked

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am being unironic, I love those two areas.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All dungeons are bad. There’s not a good dungeon in the entire series, and possibly all of video games in general.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

All dungeons are bad. There’s not a good dungeon in the entire series, and possibly all of video games in general.

Your house in Gone Home is a pretty good dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Sakurazuka posted:

Deserts are like sewers, there's never been a good one in a videogame.

Uncharted 3.