Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
if ya’ll are gonna argue in bad faith like a buncha loving chuds i’m not gonna waste my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's just unfortunate that p3's are the best solution available because in a perfect world they'd be poo poo-tier. If you've got someplace where the system is broken aid or loans are just going to get stolen or misappropriated. At least with a p3 you get some kind of results, typically. It's still bullshit because the private sector ends up getting rich off everyone's money and the results are typically far below what a functioning crown corporation could deliver.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

working in development loving sucks, now more than ever. even the best laid plans might fail because of the loving climate. we're all very much aware of how hosed the situation is and we're trying to find solutions wherever we can, using the mechanisms that we have available, all while the ship is sinking and the global right tries to gently caress us at every juncture

baw has issued a correction as of 13:25 on May 29, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in p3 solution, in order to get the -private side of the partnership interested, there needs to be a return. a profit motive.

what is the ROI on a refugee camp? do they become entitled to some kind of sales tax or residency/property tax or fees? do they get a monopoly on a price-gouging commissary?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

baw posted:

also worth noting that these represent a small (and relatively well-off) minority of refugees. the vast majority flee on foot to regional safe haven countries where they are condemned to rot in camps. which is why one potentially fruitful concept (formulated by alexander betts and paul collier) is to support public-private partnership projects in regional safe havens which could lead to a win-win situation for refugees and haven countries. at least until it stops raining in the haven countries then well let’s just take this one day at a time ok

i call it “the Democrats”!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

in p3 solution, in order to get the -private side of the partnership interested, there needs to be a return. a profit motive.

what is the ROI on a refugee camp? do they become entitled to some kind of sales tax or residency/property tax or fees? do they get a monopoly on a price-gouging commissary?

returns aren't necessarily financial. sometimes you can get money just by letting you list them as a partner and providing them some nice video and photos of smiling african kids that they can slap their logos on and put in airports. other times they work just like any other investment in a start-up, a cut of profits or interest the business loan. as an example, here are the projects that the opes impact investment fund are currently involved with, with things from reusable menstruation pads produced by local women to water distilled and bottled in kenya at a fraction of the average cost that most kenyans pay. there is a lot of variety and every case is different and has to be catered to local needs and most of the time the businesses are already in operation but just need additional capital in order to expand. there have been some very good results but of course the climate is changing so that is wreaking havoc with the risk assessment that goes more than five years into the future, and it's only going to get worse, and the last goddamn thing an investor wants to hear is "risk factors with leptokurtic and non-gaussian probability distributions"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

proud to announce our partnership to turn refugees into wifi hotspots

baw
Nov 5, 2008

integrate refugees into the blockchain

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
some good news from early info coming out of the next IPCC report

New Report Warns Planet May Be Warming Twice as Fast as Expected

quote:

Climate sensitivity in the 2007 IPCC report was 2-4.5°C. In the latest IPCC climate sensitivity report in 2013, this changed slightly to 1.5-4.5°C. Both give a best estimate of basically 3°C. Of the new modeling, preliminary results show eight out of the 13 models, with this latest most robust round of modeling ever coming in with a best estimate of 5°C or more climate sensitivity — an astonishing finding that modelers are challenged to explain.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Does that mean 5 C warming, or is "climate sensitivity" a different measurement?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
5C, 10C, 16C, you name it we're gonna see just how many Cs we can squeeze outta this thing!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Maha posted:

Does that mean 5 C warming, or is "climate sensitivity" a different measurement?

It's a parameter called ECS or Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity. It basically says "if we double the concentration of CO2 by how much do temperatures increase?"

And, as usual, the answer is more than expected. Note that these models need much further testing to believe these ranges they're throwing out, but they are definitely in line with paleoclimate responses to CO2 injection I'm Earth's history.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

5C, 10C, 16C, you name it we're gonna see just how many Cs we can squeeze outta this thing!

i love cs, give me more Cs, I want them all. Cspam Co2 C3po keep em coming

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Gitro posted:

i love cs, give me more Cs, I want them all. Cspam Co2 C3po keep em coming

Don't worry folks I'll 'C' myself out hahaha

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/kulmweatherman/status/1132991763164139521?s=19

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Wakko posted:

some good news from early info coming out of the next IPCC report

New Report Warns Planet May Be Warming Twice as Fast as Expected
Numbers went up, and are going up more quickly than ever? Capitalism working as intended! Good work all, bonuses all around, see you in seven years.
Numbers going down? Totally unaccountable statistical anomaly. Bonuses all around, and we'll workshop improving next quarter.

Complications has issued a correction as of 18:41 on May 29, 2019

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How about a spooky group of people, you can call them Spectres, who are going to provide actual help

Ah, Yes, :airquote:Global Climate Change:airquote: - the accelerating degradation of our natural biosphere and likely downfall of modern society... We have dismissed that claim.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

these are some fun hashtags

https://twitter.com/kulmweatherman/status/1133468583571406849?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

it's unimaginable that there could be a way to help refugees or the climate that doesn't also make the number go up

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thinking about the mountains of CO2 expelled building, shipping, trucking, and assembling largely empty NYC eyesores. Numbers must go up!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

look I'm gonna just say who could possible have foreseen all the things

oh wait.

all the experts did.

I mean I guess words mean things.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I prefer P33 solutions myself

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

StabbinHobo posted:

you can use low skill 3rd world labour to make things like shoes like they are doing now in factories, except in the camps the labourers are given food by somebody else so you can pay even lower wages

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
And Who could have possibly foreseen all these things?
There is an Answer
It was KARL MARX who foresaw all these things

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
private-public partnerships are fine and good.

successful guillotine operation requires both a rope puller and a head loser.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:
very big neoliberal brain - what about having the SEZs in the west and moving the population there

quote:

Talia Radford: Why did you leave the UN?

Kilian Kleinschmidt: I left the the UN to be as disruptive as possible, as provocative as possible, because within the UN of course there is certain discipline. I mean I was always the rebel.

Talia Radford: What is there to rebel about?

Kilian Kleinschmidt: I think we have reached the dead end almost where the humanitarian agencies cannot cope with the crisis. We're doing humanitarian aid as we did 70 years ago after the second world war. Nothing has changed.

In the Middle East, we were building camps: storage facilities for people. But the refugees were building a city.

These are the cities of tomorrow. The average stay today in a camp is 17 years. That's a generation. Let's look at these places as cities.

Talia Radford: How do you see the refugee situation in Europe now?

Kilian Kleinschmidt: The discussion in Germany is quite interesting, because they currently have 600,000 jobs to fill, but they are all in places where there is no housing. It's all in urban centres where they have forgotten to build apartments.

Half of east Germany is empty. Half of southern Italy is empty. Spain is empty. Many places in Europe are totally deserted.

You could redevelop some of these empty cities into free-trade zones where you would put in a new population and actually set up opportunities to develop and trade and work. You could see them as special development zones, which are actually used as a trigger for an otherwise impoverished, neglected area.

https://www.dezeen.com/2015/11/23/refugee-camps-cities-of-tomorrow-killian-kleinschmidt-interview-humanitarian-aid-expert/

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i can't wait for the concept of money to become meaningless

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/29/energy-department-molecules-freedom-fossil-fuel-rebranding

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/sta...fuel-rebranding

somebody's got some freedom gas in this elevator right now iykwim

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The cool part about this is right this very second there are people who shrug at the whole crop failure from all that land turning into a sea thing and go "we'll just import it it'll be fine", but without stopping to take a second and think about what we do when the foreign farmlands get hit by whatever random weather and become, IDK, a massive never-ending fire or a desert or sink into the ocean or flash-freeze 11 months of the year because the polar winds don't care about boundaries anymore or whatever else happens to them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

The cool part about this is right this very second there are people who shrug at the whole crop failure from all that land turning into a sea thing and go "we'll just import it it'll be fine", but without stopping to take a second and think about what we do when the foreign farmlands get hit by whatever random weather and become, IDK, a massive never-ending fire or a desert or sink into the ocean or flash-freeze 11 months of the year because the polar winds don't care about boundaries anymore or whatever else happens to them.

well at least the majority of corn isn't even used for food or livestock, it gets turned into gasoline because thanks W

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

well at least the majority of corn isn't even used for food or livestock, it gets turned into gasoline because thanks W

yeah from the doomsday economics thread it's less than 4%, and i'm presuming 99%% out of that 4% is turned into industrial poo poo like high-fructose corn syrup which we could easily do without or even a fraction of a penny more in costs. its all feed and ethanol. worst thing it'll do is instead of paying $0.01 per ton of corn feed to fatten up cattle on the cheap, it might cost $0.02 and beef price might raise very slightly. but feeding nothing but corn to cows is loving lovely and leads to major issues with infections (which have to be pumped up with antibiotics) and methane production n poo poo.

like the whole thing is totally manageable and the industry has almost zero purpose in even existing.

Tulip posted:

Not quite that sharp.

And yeah that's just Iowa, but Iowa's a lot of corn.

Anyway, cornpocalypse is manageable as a disaster if things go as you predict: corn use gets alotted based on maximum human flourishing, so fuel ethanol, an industry that should by all rights be dead regardless, takes it right in the face, and meat products get more expensive. This is pretty manageable and would frankly likely increase our chances of surviving climate disaster down the line.

However, we live in hell, so this will be part and parcel of a bloodletting against us commoners. As so often, we could handle the problem, but the people who are in power choose not to.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:35 on May 30, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Most likely corn is only gonna be the start of it, and it's gonna be lol when the most disposable crop industry in this country is the first to fail essentially as a warning and then nobody cared or did anything and the other crops fail due to climate change reasons later.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
gonna be real neat to see which crops get planted on the remaining farmland (it's going to be the most profitable crops, probably for export)

Holodomor II: Inadvertent Boogaloo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think I saw on TV that soy beans are probably going to be the main thing. Idk if that's good or not considering tariffs and stuff. Are soy crops good at restoring land at least?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

net work error posted:

I think I saw on TV that soy beans are probably going to be the main thing. Idk if that's good or not considering tariffs and stuff. Are soy crops good at restoring land at least?

None of the industrial monoculture plants are good for soil replenishment.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Most likely corn is only gonna be the start of it, and it's gonna be lol when the most disposable crop industry in this country is the first to fail essentially as a warning and then nobody cared or did anything and the other crops fail due to climate change reasons later.

Yeah and also wasn't everyone always saying that it's ok don't worry about it we've got years before it'll effect us?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

HOOOOOO

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If it continues here and then doesn't recover later this year, that could be the end of summer ice in the arctic soon.

I wonder how long until the earth goes back to being relatively even temperature across the globe rather than the huge polar-equator difference?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Like almost 10 years ago or something the Navy and some independent scientists were saying expect a BoE by 2019 at the latest, so. We're actually overdue for this by a few years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shima Honnou posted:

Like almost 10 years ago or something the Navy and some independent scientists were saying expect a BoE by 2019 at the latest, so. We're actually overdue for this by a few years!

:tif: