Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
rename hamprince to “pay the maid WhiskyJuvenile” and rename him to “gently caress off hamprince”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

christmas boots posted:

rename hamprince to “pay the maid WhiskyJuvenile” and rename him to “gently caress off hamprince”

not sure what this is referring too but I strongly doubt anyone who posts here can afford a maid that isn’t silkscreened onto a body pillow

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the platonic form of a 1% tweet

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

not sure what this is referring too but I strongly doubt anyone who posts here can afford a maid that isn’t silkscreened onto a body pillow

wj pay your maid

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

"wealthsplaining" is going to be stuck in my head like a malignant tumour forever i guess

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Shouldn't it be poorsplaining?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sup everyone it's me the american youtuber who knows better than 66 percent of russians. don't forget to like and subscribe

Serf
May 5, 2011

this guy should've stuck to using a puppet to explain film concepts imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1133381714519252992

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"An imperialist state did bad things" is not a hot take lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip posted:

"An imperialist state did bad things" is not a hot take lol

look at this loving anarchist

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

and most of them regret it! weird

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ah yes, the former Soviet eastern bloc, noted economic success stories

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hmm

https://twitter.com/manitoheathen/status/1133176307561451520

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Famous ex Soviet satellite state, Russia

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

gradenko_2000 posted:

ah yes, the former Soviet eastern bloc, noted economic success stories

My colleague from Ukraine told me stuff about the period right after the collapse/breakup that I had no idea about. They didn’t even have a currency!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Local Weather posted:

My colleague from Ukraine told me stuff about the period right after the collapse/breakup that I had no idea about. They didn’t even have a currency!

allegedly, a lot of the pictures that we have of bread lines and poverty in the Soviet Union date to 1985 and onwards, when Gorbachev's perestroika hosed with logistics and supply chains from the introduction of market reforms

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

the only former Soviet republics that really came out ahead from Soviet dissolution are Estonia and maybe Lithuania.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Local Weather posted:

it turns out that wall street financial advisors were actually not a good idea

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The dissolution of the Soviet Union was the greatest peace time humanitarian disaster of the late 20th century, and it's just a massive black hole in the historical knowledge of the West intentionally. Like, Georgians were on average better off than Russians by material metrics in the Soviet Union, and after its dissolution it instantly became one of the poorest countries in the world. They weren't a part of the USSR anymore, and were too far away to be part of the Eurozone, so their economy cratered and wages along with it. Teaching went from one of the highest paying professions to one of the lowest paying professions seemingly overnight.

That's all just economic devastation before even talking about all the border wars and civil wars.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Even then, the way the market transition was done in Russia, on advice of the West, was so bad it defies belief. You see the chart of life expectancy in Russia after 91 just loving plummeting off a cliff.

Plus I remember reading how a lot of the time the post-Soviet transition tended to be foreign investments flooding in the capital cities and barely any elsewhere. They snap up valuable city-centre real estate, foreign companies develop their corporate HQ, a regional one if the country's lucky, that's it, everyone else gets to go gently caress themselves. Also, since they put down some of the lowest corporate tax rates possible in order to 'attract investors' they don't even get anything out of it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

iirc in college i had a class where we read this woman's essay talking about the horrors of life under communism and then immediately transitioned to how insanely terrible basically all of the 90s were and it was very lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The dissolution of the Soviet Union was the greatest peace time humanitarian disaster of the late 20th century, and it's just a massive black hole in the historical knowledge of the West intentionally.

The 1st World came to the former USSR to break open bones and suck out the marrow.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/caseymerwin/status/1133777892708683776

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chernobyl hot take supplemental.
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1133813184220028928

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sucks that i live in one of the states where everyone must be condemned to death because only 40% of the population voted against drumpf, while the 40% of the population that voted for drumpf in new york gets a free pass

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

turn off the TV posted:

iirc in college i had a class where we read this woman's essay talking about the horrors of life under communism and then immediately transitioned to how insanely terrible basically all of the 90s were and it was very lol

There's a great essay Audre Lorde wrote about her visit to the USSR as part of some conference, and when the people in the town she was visiting found out she was a black American and not visiting from Africa, she started getting all kinds of questions, because people were skeptical about the Soviet propaganda about American racism. "Is it true that they make black people pay money just to talk to a doctor?"

Lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Soviet anti racist propaganda owned, despite the ussr doing some no good, very bad racism of their own

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

soviet union's chernobyl - terrible disaster, exacerbated by poor maintenance probably, but ultimately an accident, known all over the world
american nuclear disasters - "let's send the army INTO A LARGE CITY to SPRAY PEOPLE with nuclear material", nobody knows about it and nobody ever will because nobody gives a poo poo

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 22:41 on May 29, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Whenever I think I know every evil thing the us government has done I find something new.

quote:

The tests in Nashville in the late 1940s involved giving 820 poor and pregnant white women a mixture during their first pre-natal visit that included radioactive iron, Martino-Taylor said. The women were chosen without their knowledge. Blood tests were performed to determine how much radioactive iron had been absorbed by the mother, and the babies’ blood was tested at birth. Similar tests were performed in Chicago and San Francisco, Martino-Taylor said.
Among those who recall the testing is Mary Helen Brindell, 73. She was playing baseball in a St. Louis street in the mid-1950s when a squadron of green planes flew so low overhead that she could see the face of the lead pilot. Suddenly, the children were covered in a fine powdery substance that stuck to skin moistened by summer sweat.
St. Louis leaders were told at the time that the government was testing a smoke screen that could shield the city from aerial observation in case of Soviet attack. Evidence now shows radioactive material, not just zinc cadmium sulfide, was part of that spraying, Martino-Taylor said.
According to Martino-Taylor, other testing in Chicago; Berkeley, California; Rochester, New York; and Oak Ridge, Tennessee, involved injecting people with plutonium-239.

lol literal loving chem trails

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The article linked was published 2 days ago lol

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/...ingawful.com%2F

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
These sorts of depressing stories make me wonder what kind of horrorshow black programs the Soviets and the PRC successfully buried all knowledge of.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

These sorts of depressing stories make me wonder what kind of horrorshow black programs the Soviets and the PRC successfully buried all knowledge of.

I wonder if the KGB had a Castro, by which I mean a foreign head of state that they attempted and failed to assassinate a comically larger number of times even attempting the old femme fatale gambit only to have her do the literal cliché of falling for the mark and confessing the whole plot.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

christmas boots posted:

I wonder if the KGB had a Castro, by which I mean a foreign head of state that they attempted and failed to assassinate a comically larger number of times even attempting the old femme fatale gambit only to have her do the literal cliché of falling for the mark and confessing the whole plot.

Tito?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Soviets had a weird infatuation with psychic abilities, so it's probably not what you're expecting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Soviets had a weird infatuation with psychic abilities, so it's probably not what you're expecting.

Oh, I'm sure they had their own versions of "spray isotopes on random people for shits and giggles" too. Or maybe they just left safety standards in their closed cities lapse and took advantage of the resulting workplace accidents.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

they tried and failed to kill the pope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i liked learning that the cia also looked into psychic abilities in order to make sure that the soviets weren't beating them in the superpowers race