Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The issue is that for most players it's not something they like to do.

Tyranny was a commercial disaster and internal metrics from Bioware said like 80% of Mass Effect players went Paragon

The reason people do this is because playing the good side in games always has better rewards. It’s not worth playing a villain when you get punished for it, so of course everyone rolls towards the goody two shoes side because that’s where the developer pushes you.

Also Tyrannys commercial failure had nothing to do with the story and everything to do with literally no one knowing it existed. It’s a fantastic game that had no marketing presence at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Tyranny was a commercial disaster and internal metrics from Bioware said like 80% of Mass Effect players went Paragon

Tyranny's entire marketing budget, to my knowledge, was the video Noah Gervais made about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem is that while Renegade is somewhat viable in ME1 as how it was intended (solving problems via the most prudent method possible, with ends justifying the means), it just rapidly descended into mean-spirited evil for the sake of evil in ME2 and ME3.

Though I'd wager even the most Paragon of players still toss that guard out the window in ME2 every time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Renegade in Mass Effect lacks a clear focus. Does it mean being a pragmatist? A space arsehole? A space racist?

This ultimately means it's defined as being "not Paragon" which isn't a compelling hook for roleplaying.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

That’s the problem with a lot of these types of games. The more villainous path is really just the rear end in a top hat path because it’s an afterthought on the part of the developers. They want to tell their traditional hero narrative and they aren’t prepared for you to deviate too far from that, but having more choices looks good in the marketing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway i am so loving glad RDR2's writing was legit good and not over the top overly cynical. like it can be cynical but when it is, it feels appropriate. GTA V was just constant cynical bullshit. 4 has those moments but nico has enough gravity that it works sometimes. RDR2 just loving nails a ton of stuff and makes you feel different feelings and toys with stuff.

You and I have massively different opinions of the writing in RDR2. I loving hated that game even though I enjoyed 1.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that while Renegade is somewhat viable in ME1 as how it was intended (solving problems via the most prudent method possible, with ends justifying the means), it just rapidly descended into mean-spirited evil for the sake of evil in ME2 and ME3.

Though I'd wager even the most Paragon of players still toss that guard out the window in ME2 every time.

considering the most evil renegade choice in the entire series is straight-up murdering the asari who had been absorbed by the thorian in the first game, i cannot agree at all that renegade got more mean-spirited over time. it was always lovely.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Mr E posted:

Looks like this video is still unlisted due to Youtube troubles but everyone should set aside the hours and watch this video and the companion video from Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwjUwZdvYI

Finally, a good video.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

considering the most evil renegade choice in the entire series is straight-up murdering the asari who had been absorbed by the thorian in the first game, i cannot agree at all that renegade got more mean-spirited over time. it was always lovely.

If you let Samara kill herself and take the renegade prompt to kill her daughter you probably get the most “I’m a dick” murder option.

“How am I supposed to live with this?”

“You don’t”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grapplejack posted:

You and I have massively different opinions of the writing in RDR2. I loving hated that game even though I enjoyed 1.

why is that? genuinly curious. I liked 1 alot too.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the prompt to kill the enemy Krogan with a gas leak explosion. I always picked that one, haha.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Here's a neat minidoc about myspace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Evcj4yxYPY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i was always a chaotic good shep. i spared most people if they surrendered, but i electrocuted that dude and blew up that krogan and made renegade tactical choices at times. also when i impaled that mary sue dude in 3.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was always a chaotic good shep. i spared most people if they surrendered, but i electrocuted that dude and blew up that krogan and made renegade tactical choices at times. also when i impaled that mary sue dude in 3.

While Renegade always had consistency issues in story and dialog, the action prompts were on a completely different level. Sometimes you were rude, sometimes you beat a restrained prisoner, sometime you burn a man to death...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why is that? genuinly curious. I liked 1 alot too.

Alright so first off, Dutch sucks. He's literally a cartoon character through most of the game, with his NoW SoN and TAHITI talk, and then you have the second and third acts of the game where literally nothing happens, and the entire game is so slow and plodding and THEN you have the return of the old man drama from gtav and nobody wanted that. Arthur was great but the rest of the game was awful.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

buddhist nudist posted:

While Renegade always had consistency issues in story and dialog, the action prompts were on a completely different level. Sometimes you were rude, sometimes you beat a restrained prisoner, sometime you burn a man to death...

ah, the classic glassing issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKJqdq4eX4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's not the developer's fault, that's the player not knowing what the term "glass him" means. Clearly he'd never watched Trainspotting.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

This was really cool and good.

So was the same guy's video about LimeWire for that matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNwRogs5SY

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grapplejack posted:

Alright so first off, Dutch sucks. He's literally a cartoon character through most of the game, with his NoW SoN and TAHITI talk, and then you have the second and third acts of the game where literally nothing happens, and the entire game is so slow and plodding and THEN you have the return of the old man drama from gtav and nobody wanted that. Arthur was great but the rest of the game was awful.

My biggest issue with RDR2 is that its 800 hours of your player character going "I dunno Dutch" and never doing anything about it

Like, you have such a profound lack of agency in the story

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Heeeeeey, PushingUpRoses has a new one on Maniac Mansion!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Remember that mission in Watch_Dogs 1 where Aiden blackmails the guy to help him get information out of a gang leader, and the guy ends up getting pushed out a window? And then 30 seconds later, the guy gives you a call that’s literally just “hey Aiden, I’m just calling to let you know I didn’t die and I’m fine so you’re still the good guy! I’m going to go away so you won’t see or hear about me ever again, but it’s definitely not because I’m dead. Goodbye!”

That mission pretty much summed up the entire story for me. They wrote a game about a morally-gray-leaning-toward-dark protagonist, and then at the very absolute last minute scrambled to make him an unambiguous good guy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Remember that mission in Watch_Dogs 1 where Aiden blackmails the guy to help him get information out of a gang leader, and the guy ends up getting pushed out a window? And then 30 seconds later, the guy gives you a call that’s literally just “hey Aiden, I’m just calling to let you know I didn’t die and I’m fine so you’re still the good guy! I’m going to go away so you won’t see or hear about me ever again, but it’s definitely not because I’m dead. Goodbye!”

That mission pretty much summed up the entire story for me. They wrote a game about a morally-gray-leaning-toward-dark protagonist, and then at the very absolute last minute scrambled to make him an unambiguous good guy.

My only memory of that game involves me going to a friend's place to pick him up so we'd meet others at a restaurant, and he was playing it. He was hacking into something and it patched into some random cutscene of you spying into citizens, a couple in bed being goofy by...playing russian roulette with each other, literally ending with the cyber version of a gunshot/cut to black. We looked at each other and decided it was good time to stop and head out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

At least SB nation makes some good youtube videos.
Thank Jon Bois for that, he's legitimately charming.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm neither into sports nor charts, yet I'm always endlessly captivated by his videos. Guy's an amazing storyteller.

On that note, she's also expanding her foray into 80s and 90s television with a video on a Golden Girls murder mystery episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrZaJAwdwWw

She's been pretty prolific lately so that's pretty cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Legal Eagle took a look at the defamation case of T-Series vs. Pewdiepie. It's very interesting (and don't get your hopes up going off the title of the video) but man I wish this narrative that Pewds was just some goof with a webcam who stumbled into a massive YouTube empire would die.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Upon reflection, the best game where you were unapologetically a "bad guy" was probably GTA3

That dude was such an absolute monster and it ruled

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

An thorough. The man spent an entire decade of his life researching the decline of Bobs in sports. That is like a Rachel Maddow level of dedication to "in-depth examination of fascinating yet ultimately meaningless things only three people care about".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Upon reflection, the best game where you were unapologetically a "bad guy" was probably GTA3

That dude was such an absolute monster and it ruled

Also Vice City, Tommy was loyal to his friends sure. But he was a (amazingly fun) piece of poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

Also Vice City, Tommy was loyal to his friends sure. But he was a (amazingly fun) piece of poo poo.

Vice City also positions the characters in opposition to Tommy as being objectively worse people than even he is, so that helps you root for him a bit too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason posted:

gta 3 and vice city had no pretense of its protagonists being anything other than horrible monsters but the real problem of gta games is that they are garbage

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

If you're going to empty quote yourself make sure the original post isn't worthless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the man in the glass house issues an impossible challenge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For what it’s worth, the only GTA protagonist who was an objectively Good Person was Vic Vance, and he’s rewarded for his troubles by getting murdered in the opening minutes of Vice City.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it’s worth, the only GTA protagonist who was an objectively Good Person was Vic Vance, and he’s rewarded for his troubles by getting murdered in the opening minutes of Vice City.

i kinda think nico is an ok guy, just super hosed up and damaged, which being a teenager during the balkan conflict will do to you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how batshit insane the GTA version of Earth is, coming out of a Balkan conflict at all seems like a hell of an accomplishment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I never got a lot of the "good guy incompatible with his setting" dissonance with CJ, but San Andreas had so much fun stupid poo poo to do that was unrelated to murdering random people that he doesn't really come off as worse than your average video game protagonist.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Most people tend to bring up him laying waste to a construction site and burying the foreman alive because his employees were being sexist towards Kendl as CJ's "dissonance" but that's like one mission, and San Andreas is by far the best GTA game. So many amazing characters in that one, so much to do.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

If you're going to empty quote yourself make sure the original post isn't worthless.

why dont you make a lovely video noone likes about it dumbass

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
btw heres cooking man talking about coffee so if you're a complete idiot noob like me its probably gonna be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yItCQB4V9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MonsieurChoc posted:

All I remember of Watch Dogs was the cooler dude you hung out with for one mission while Jesus built my hotrod was playing.

Even as someone who kinda enjoys Aiden (specifically because he's a horrible piece of poo poo), T-Bone really should've been the protagonist of WD1. Aiden could then have the supporting role and his own little DLC campaign. Maybe jettison Jordi completely and just have Aiden be "the Fixer guy" because I still have no idea what alternate universe he walked out of.