Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prisoner of waffles posted:

counterpoint: I've seen academic CVs with grants and grant amounts on them.

It's definitely an expected part of an academic CV. Nobody knows what

2017 -- received Alfred E. Neuman Memorial Foundation Small Projects Grant for Fart and Burp Piano (presented at CHI 2018, doi:10.1115/1.3261481)

means, but if you add that you got $25,000 for it that makes it easy to compare against the guy who only got $12,000 for his proposal to create a lomarf car.

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same on a regular resume if you're being granted amounts of money that are significant to your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Is putting dollar amounts in your cv on projects you've worked on a good idea? I've got one which has a fairly clear value attached and (for the number of people involved) quite large cost savings. idk if it seems a bit tasteless though.

It's a good idea unless you're just pulling numbers out of your rear end.

Bad: Implemented new vacation process which improved morale so much that retention and productivity went up leading to est savings of 420 trillion dollars.

Good: built feature to land 69 million dollar deal.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

It's a good idea unless you're just pulling numbers out of your rear end.

Bad: Implemented new vacation process which improved morale so much that retention and productivity went up leading to est savings of 420 trillion dollars.

Good: built feature to land 69 million dollar deal.

imo estimation is fine if you can benchmark the costs beforehand

for example: "automated billing analysis process to save finance department $XXX/month in operating hours" or some such nonsense

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

imo estimation is fine if you can benchmark the costs beforehand

for example: "automated billing analysis process to save finance department $XXX/month in operating hours" or some such nonsense

Mine pretty similar to the second case. Thanks all for the advice, in it goes.

Another question: how do you phrase items where you did most of the development work on a project (say 70-90%), but it also had contributions from people on other teams. e.g. you designed and wrote an automated process, another dev on your team did some alerting around it, and someone in the finance department worked out how to fix their workflow so that it was automatable. At the moment I'm putting "lead developer on automation project to xxx" (no caps). I don't want them to think that was a formal title or that it was just a dev project, but do want to communicate that I took responsibility for the development part of the project and delivered on it.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 28, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pointsofdata posted:

Mine pretty similar to the second case. Thanks all for the advice, in it goes.

Another question: how do you phrase items where you did most of the development work on a project (say 70-90%), but it also had contributions from people on other teams. e.g. you designed and wrote an automated process, another dev on your team did some alerting around it, and someone in the finance department worked out how to fix their workflow so that it was automatable. At the moment I'm putting "lead developer on automation project to xxx" (no caps). I don't want them to think that was a formal title or that it was just a dev project, but do want to communicate that I took responsibility for the development part of the project and delivered on it.

that seems fine as a resume line item, if people have questions about it they'll ask you - this is good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

you could change it to a sentence and say "led development of xxx automation project," I've heard this is a preferred way to do it but that's probably mostly about avoiding passive voice [you should avoid passive voice on your resume]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the passive voice should be avoided

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They invented not writing in the passive voice to try to get writers to not be communist

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/14/16469616/show-dont-tell-political

So you gotta pretend not to be a huge commie on your resume

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 28, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

qirex posted:

you could change it to a sentence and say "led development of xxx automation project," I've heard this is a preferred way to do it but that's probably mostly about avoiding passive voice [you should avoid passive voice on your resume]

Absolutely this. We get a ton of CV's in saying what someone's team worked on as well. It doesn't really say what they themselves did which can be a bit off putting in regards to even getting people in to ask them questions.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

They invented not writing in the passive voice to try to get writers to not be communist

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/14/16469616/show-dont-tell-political

So you gotta pretend not to be a huge commie on your resume

this account is protected right now which is annoying because I really want the back story here

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Show what you did rather than telling them what you did. What I mean is, saying you were "lead developer" is as you said sorta thin and leaves a lot to the imagination. You're telling them what you did and hoping they take your word for it. Mention some specific details of what did, like designed the architecture, gathered requirements from stakeholders, implemented the bulk of the code in the project, what was the result etc. Doesn't have to be longer than a Twitter post, but the details will sell it because now you're showing them what you did.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

this account is protected right now which is annoying because I really want the back story here

seems to be based on this book

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Applying at a place that didn’t hire me last time, in a city even worse than Milwaukee.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Schadenboner posted:

Applying at a place that didn’t hire me last time, in a city even worse than Milwaukee.

Waukesha?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Exploiting network for new opportunities; one contact introduced me to a bunch of his. One of them has a high chance of knowing my direct supervisor, likely even very well, who I don't want to know I'm looking. How would you play this?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If they seem like a reasonable person and you decide to go through them then you're probably best to politely bring that up at the earliest opportunity and let them know about the need for discretion wrt your boss. I don't imagine they would have an issue with that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

Show what you did rather than telling them what you did. What I mean is, saying you were "lead developer" is as you said sorta thin and leaves a lot to the imagination. You're telling them what you did and hoping they take your word for it. Mention some specific details of what did, like designed the architecture, gathered requirements from stakeholders, implemented the bulk of the code in the project, what was the result etc. Doesn't have to be longer than a Twitter post, but the details will sell it because now you're showing them what you did.

It's going to get a bit wordy if I do that for all the projects i list - I've added some words at intro paragraph for that job to try and communicate it. I like qirex's suggestion of moving to using a verb as well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

e: nvm

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 29, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:lol:

E: Epic Hosting PFO'ed me when I applied a year or two ago, I'm putting in another application. They require people to live in the Madison area (I'm not sure how far out from Fair Verona they actually allow) so :shrug:.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 29, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

sent a project in a week ago and have received nothing from the recruiter to indicate that it's been received or passed on to whoever is supposed to review it. i sent a follow up email the next day. should i bother sending another one today?

this is lovely, and inconsiderate af

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

sent a project in a week ago and have received nothing from the recruiter to indicate that it's been received or passed on to whoever is supposed to review it. i sent a follow up email the next day. should i bother sending another one today?

it's super lovely. I once got a response to a (very long) take home project of "we got loads of people to do this so won't be providing feedback and will take a while to get back to you"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

hell no. you gave them two chances to respond already

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If the company didn't seem that bad then you could try to find out who the hiring manager and/or HR manager is and send them a brief mail to let them know their recruiters aren't following up with candidates, or give them a bad review on Glassdoor if you really care that much. But yeah you don't owe them poo poo and they're playing you, so other than that nah you can't do anything, best to just move on.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 29, 2019

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

KidDynamite posted:

this is so common for me that I gave myself a rule to never spent more than 1 hour, no overthinking, on these projects.

still feel bad every time I get no feedback but oh well

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

:lol:

E: Epic Hosting PFO'ed me when I applied a year or two ago, I'm putting in another application. They require people to live in the Madison area (I'm not sure how far out from Fair Verona they actually allow) so :shrug:.

Madison is nice you idiot. and you have to be within a 1 hour commute last I worked there so you can live pretty far out.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You know what isn't nice?

Epic

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qhat posted:

Epic

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah, we are looking for people rn and it is amazing how happy people are with the fact that we actually communicate back.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Shotgunning job applications today. Set up a call with Uber for a few weeks out since their phone screen is apparently hard as gently caress. It’s come to the point where I have to morally compromise myself :gonk:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
gum up the works while collecting figgies, imo

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

KidDynamite posted:

Shotgunning job applications today. Set up a call with Uber for a few weeks out since their phone screen is apparently hard as gently caress. It’s come to the point where I have to morally compromise myself :gonk:

There is no such thing as ethical work under capitalism.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that kind of reductionist logic implies that working as a unionized social worker is exactly as bad as working for the military-industrial complex or being a consultant when that is absolutely not the case

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Epic

it's better than what he describes his current job as. he'll be able to stack some money while he preps his improved resume for the next gig

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarn posted:

Yeah, we are looking for people rn and it is amazing how happy people are with the fact that we actually communicate back.

And today I found out that we left one guy hanging for a week, because my boss thought his boss was gonna send the email, while his boss thought my boss is gonna send the email. :suicide:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bloody posted:

that kind of reductionist logic implies that working as a unionized social worker is exactly as bad as working for the military-industrial complex or being a consultant when that is absolutely not the case
yeah accellerationist philosophy clearly implies that the social worker job is more immoral

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In general nothing matters

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Got a request for an onsite at a company that seemingly ghosted me 4 weeks ago. That puts me at like 3rd on their ranking list right?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

do what you gotta do

which might be leaking or whistleblowing in addition to making money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Steve Jorbs posted:

Got a request for an onsite at a company that seemingly ghosted me 4 weeks ago. That puts me at like 3rd on their ranking list right?

No, some companies legitimately suck at hiring and routinely do this.