Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

None of the industrial monoculture plants are good for soil replenishment.

Apparently if you plant corn in along with a kind of bean you can actually achieve a crop that replenishes the soil, but it's impossible to have a machine harvest both at once so it's never going to happen. I don't remember the details but it's not just that our plants suck but the methods we use to plant and harvest them are garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cowpocalypse

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Addamere posted:

cowpocalypse

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Apparently if you plant corn in along with a kind of bean you can actually achieve a crop that replenishes the soil, but it's impossible to have a machine harvest both at once so it's never going to happen. I don't remember the details but it's not just that our plants suck but the methods we use to plant and harvest them are garbage.

if you're referring to the milpa system, yeah, with the right mix of plants the same plot of land can stay in near-continuous use for human generations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Three Sisters, an example of companion planting:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Silly, you can't make oil with squash, but at the same time, you can't grow corn in water so I guess it's a wash.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's infuriating because literally the only reason it "won't work" is that modern corn is engineered to be picked by a specific machine and having three plants all tangled up makes harvesting it via industrial machines almost impossible. Apparently corn in the past had the cobs all over but now it's grown to have them near the top to make it easier for machines to pick. Easier/cheaper to just ruin the earth forever for short term profits!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I bet you could figure out how to build a machine to harvest poo poo in other ways but lol if John Deere and/or whoever is gonna be hosed to do that ever.

To be fair to John Deere it's a situation in which all the farming is done in X manner so they have to make machines that cater to X but then all the farming has to be done in X manner and so who is going to be first to switch over??? Fuckin' markets lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's infuriating because literally the only reason it "won't work" is that modern corn is engineered to be picked by a specific machine and having three plants all tangled up makes harvesting it via industrial machines almost impossible. Apparently corn in the past had the cobs all over but now it's grown to have them near the top to make it easier for machines to pick. Easier/cheaper to just ruin the earth forever for short term profits!!
Also the milpa system is two years on and eight off to be fallow. Good luck pitching that in the era of industry.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Complications posted:

the era of industry.

at least that's almost over

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/kieranleavitt/s...r%3D170%23pti13

lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Owns

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
This is all happening too slow. COME ON, I want mass death!!!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Telephones posted:

Syria isn't enough for you?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Telephones posted:

haven’t you had enough

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
i was left out

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Telephones posted:

would you settle for mass suffering instead

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ahh way back there. oops.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 07:33 on May 31, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Telephones posted:

really? to me it feels like it's happening too fast

I haven't even started prepping yet!

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Earth is Cancelled.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

at least that's almost over

you wish

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telephones posted:

give it ten years as large swaths of the global south become uninhabitable

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Complications posted:

Also the milpa system is two years on and eight off to be fallow. Good luck pitching that in the era of industry.

This wouldn't be an issue if we weren't growing all that corn for ethanol. It would probably even fly if the government subsidized the fallow land to give farmers an incentive. We subsidize tons of other poo poo so who cares.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

the lack of machines to harvest them won't be a problem with all that climate refugee labor you'll be getting soon!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Telephones posted:

The people who are dying and going to die don't deserve it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

The people who are dying and going to die don't deserve it.

as long as it sates the irony-poisoned bloodlust

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

give it ten years as large swaths of the global south become uninhabitable

silver lining?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

actionjackson posted:

silver lining?

more like "possibly the worst thing to happen in human history"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Yinlock posted:

as long as it sates the irony-poisoned bloodlust

Both sides of the climate debate have a number they want to go up

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

silver lining?

Global, not american. Where is the entire continent of Australia going to move to? And the bottom half of Africa is turbofucked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

slumdoge millionare posted:

Global, not american. Where is the entire continent of Australia going to move to? And the bottom half of Africa is turbofucked.

all of australia is 25 million people and they're mostly white english speakers

bangladesh is 163 million people and most of them live on a river delta like 2 metres above sea level

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw a monarch butterfly for the first time this year and it made me feel happy

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Addamere posted:

I just saw a monarch butterfly for the first time this year and it made me feel happy

It was a painted lady, not a monarch

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/31/us/arkansas-levees-flooding-friday-wxc/index.html

Dardanelle Levee just broke.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slumdoge millionare posted:

Ah, nm rip

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

I expected more bad news for Australia from this

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Scientists predicted this would happen all the way back in 1929, and that research was affirmed in 1971 by Dr L. Zeppelin, but we didn't listen and now the water's just going everywhere I guess.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dream9!bed!! posted:

It was a painted lady, not a monarch

I just looked up pictures of those to be sure, and it was pretty definitely a monarch. It had the lines that look life leaf veins rather than the dappled spots.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven
Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only climate wasteland
Sally take my hand