Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MisterBibs posted:

It was Descent. You couldn't really make a map that was possible to navigate without him, which is why he was put into the sequel.

Clearly they made at least 33 levels that were navigable without Guide-Bot, otherwise no one would have beaten Descent 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
One of the DLCs for Surviving Mars means that some of your colonists will have pets.

Like cats, dogs and also for some reasons penguins.

That's not the little thing I'm excited about though. The really awesome thing is that you can set the camera to follow mode on pets, and just watch the animal wander around the dome :3:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

otherwise no one would have beaten Descent 1.

Look at this guy who doesn't have GABBAGABBAHEYBIGREDRACERX encoded into his muscle memory. :sad:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inco posted:

Clearly they made at least 33 levels that were navigable without Guide-Bot, otherwise no one would have beaten Descent 1.

Those games make me sick!

Literally.

Back in the day, I had a Microsoft Sidewinder controller that was absolutely perfect for them. But, yeah, they started making me sick when I hit my early 30s.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Zoig posted:

I had a lot of problems finding matches on release but I have found 2 nearly full rooms via quickmatch today on a monday of all days, so people might have just been cautious about buying it until reviews or just couldn't until the weekend.

Yesterday was a national holiday in the US.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Descent was decent but I was always more of a Terminal Velocity girl growing up

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

Yesterday was a national holiday in the US.

Also a Bank Holiday in the UK. Managed to get some 6 player games going but nothing more.

I also like how pretty much every character has a line for trash talking every other character when they hit them with a weapon, as well as one yelling at that person if they're the one getting hit. And lines for if they bump into walls.

There's also lines of dialogue for stuff that I have no idea for, including Sonic calling all the other racers a bunch of "also-rans"?

Icedude has a new favorite as of 12:24 on May 28, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Inco posted:

I mostly ignored it in Descent 2. I'm sure it constantly shooting flares right into my cockpit was pure coincidence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

oldpainless posted:

Descent was decent but I was always more of a Terminal Velocity girl growing up

HOLY CRAP I HAD FORGOTTEN THAT GAME.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like how Attack on Titan 2 ups the difficulty. Yeah they do the usual "enemies have more health" thing, but there is something else they do. At the start you're usually paired up with at least one complete badass, sometimes even more, whose team attack generally one shots any titan every minute or two. As the game goes on though they start popping up less and less, until you're at the point of only having rank D schlubs tag along with you. Suddenly you can't instantly kill or dismember a titan on command, now you have to kill them properly.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Icedude posted:

Also a Bank Holiday in the UK. Managed to get some 6 player games going but nothing more.

I also like how pretty much every character has a line for trash talking every other character when they hit them with a weapon, as well as one yelling at that person if they're the one getting hit. And lines for if they bump into walls.

There's also lines of dialogue for stuff that I have no idea for, including Sonic calling all the other racers a bunch of "also-rans"?

Calling someone an also ran is basically saying they’re a footnote - they also participated, but that’s the only thing about them worth noting.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Metro:2033 you wear a watch that is visible most of the time you are holding a gun, and that watch has the actual time on it. The only other time I have seen something like that is in Smash and Star Fox on 3DS. Tell me what time it is ingame more often please.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

The Maestro posted:

Calling someone an also ran is basically saying they’re a footnote - they also participated, but that’s the only thing about them worth noting.

Yup, like a footrace in the Olympics.

Sure they ran the 400m, but they didn't finish as one of the three medalists or do anything else noteworthy so history doesn't care.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I like how in both Shadowrun: DF and HK you can basically join the bad guys by listening their sales pitch at the end and going "OK sounds great, where do I sign?". Especially in DF, since the bad guy actually makes a reasonable point of getting rid of the things ultimately running the Earth even though selecting that path leads to end-of-world event in the long run.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix: You get to actually fight Roxas, instead of it just being a cutscene.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Samovar posted:

HOLY CRAP I HAD FORGOTTEN THAT GAME.

You’re dead to me

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

you'll cowards don't even remember Zone 66

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Der Kyhe posted:

I like how in both Shadowrun: DF and HK you can basically join the bad guys by listening their sales pitch at the end and going "OK sounds great, where do I sign?". Especially in DF, since the bad guy actually makes a reasonable point of getting rid of the things ultimately running the Earth even though selecting that path leads to end-of-world event in the long run.

I did totally side with the bad guy on my first DF play through. Then went back to an earlier save and did it "right".

Could you side with the insect shamans in the first one?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

codenameFANGIO posted:

In Metro:2033 you wear a watch that is visible most of the time you are holding a gun, and that watch has the actual time on it. The only other time I have seen something like that is in Smash and Star Fox on 3DS. Tell me what time it is ingame more often please.

I think one of the Call of Duty games does this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Shenmue has a wristwatch button since knowing what time it is is critical for ingame events

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

codenameFANGIO posted:

Dying Light has in game clocks and the protagonist's watch show the in game time but there's no button to actually view his watch at any time so it's wasted.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I actually do not know; I am enough of a achievement whore and late adopter of the Shadowrun reboot series that I never bothered to play the first game since I got them in one "everything so far"-bundle. I just learned that it is possible to play the original DMS-campaign on the SR:DF engine, I might have to check that out.

I actually also realized just a couple of days ago why I like the SR:DF and SR:HK so much; they tickle the "original Fallout"-bone just the right way while being modern and well balanced enough to warrant long-term interest towards different play-troughs and approaches.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Aleph Null posted:

I did totally side with the bad guy on my first DF play through. Then went back to an earlier save and did it "right".

No, the only choice you get at the end is whether you let Jessica get eaten by the bugs or not which changes nothing beyond like three lines of dialogue. The endgame is... not that game's strongest part.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kanfy posted:

No, the only choice you get at the end is whether you let Jessica get eaten by the bugs or not which changes nothing beyond like three lines of dialogue. The endgame is... not that game's strongest part.

I never finished the first one. One if the last fights in the last are was too much for me. It was the fight where you were using the magic shotguns and had Harlequin with you. I'm just not good enough at the game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mokinokaro posted:

Dying Light has in game clocks and the protagonist's watch show the in game time but there's no button to actually view his watch at any time so it's wasted.

Ready a weapon to throw. Crane brings up his left arm enough that you can read the watch. But like you said, it's wasted because there's nothing so time-sensitive that it ever really matters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's an animation and a key bind for looking at your watch but the game doesn't let you bind it for some reason. There are mods for the PC version that enable it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Aleph Null posted:

I never finished the first one. One if the last fights in the last are was too much for me. It was the fight where you were using the magic shotguns and had Harlequin with you. I'm just not good enough at the game.

Well you didn't miss much, that last dungeon is the lowest point of the entire series. I'm not entirely comfortable with self-promotion but my LP of that game is in the archive so if you want to see the conclusion, skim through the last 2-3 updates.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Jun 1, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kanfy posted:

Well you didn't miss much, that last dungeon is the lowest point of the entire series. I'm not entirely comfortable with self-promotion but my LP of that game is in the archive so if you want to see the conclusion, skim through the last 2-3 updates.

I'll second this recommendation, and not just because he's uncomfortable with self promotion. It was a good LP, and I think it's about time to re-watch it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
From a certain angle, Nero's jawline in Devil May Cry 5 looks like a young bishounen Popeye and that gives me life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Screaming Idiot posted:

From a certain angle, Nero's jawline in Devil May Cry 5 looks like a young bishounen Popeye and that gives me life.

Oh my god

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

eating spinach is popeye activating his devil trigger

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

dat’s an innn-sult

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I decided to buy EDF 5 since it's half off with PS Plus right now. Now I'm knee deep in giant bug monster guts while my fellow EDF squad mates are having a moral dilemma about killing giant 30ft frogmen because they "look just like us" and can't stand the thought of killing their own.

30ft frog men.

I love this dumb, stupid game!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Even though the game has been brought up before, there's one thing in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass I cannot stop thinking about and it's very small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GkMBQ2mCZY&t=23m50s

It's these 10 seconds where Helga (Jimmy's Mom) sees her boys again.

She runs up and kisses them on the cheek each and Buck blushes and looks away.

It's such a Mom thing to do and I love it. There's so many things in this game I'm in enamored with.

Mamkute posted:

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass: You can shake nearly anyone you can talk to.

More than that: they have a reaction to it. Some like it. Some hate it. Some think it's fun and some think it's an expression of your love.

Every character has a different reaction to being shaken if you can shake them. Multiple characters have different interactions with it based on when you shake them.

Actually, fine. Jimmy megapost.

The steal mechanic. You can steal a ton of poo poo most other games won't let you.

Including Johnny Knives's knives. Which makes him turn into Johnny No-Knives and makes him sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZPbRs0R-0&t=15m50s

G-Mawwwwwww has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Jun 2, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GrandmaParty posted:

Actually, fine. Jimmy megapost.

The steal mechanic. You can steal a ton of poo poo most other games won't let you.

Including Johnny Knives's knives. Which makes him turn into Johnny No-Knives and makes him sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZPbRs0R-0&t=15m50s

Skeleton enemies, if you steal a bone from them, fall apart terminally. You can steal *wires* from robots.

When playing Jimmy, it's best to remember the ABCs:

A - Always
B - Be
C - Stealing

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Exit Strategy posted:

Skeleton enemies, if you steal a bone from them, fall apart terminally. You can steal *wires* from robots.

When playing Jimmy, it's best to remember the ABCs:

A - Always
B - Be
C - Stealing

If you can't shake it, steal from it.

If you can't steal from it, do your best.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how varied the bosses in Marc Ecko's Getting Up have been so far - the first boss had an elaborate belt buckle and at the start of the fight he takes off his belt and wraps it around his fist like a brass knuckle, then halfway through the fight he changes tactics, unfurls the belt so he's only holding the end and starts using it as a flail, wrapping it around your leg to trip you up while trying to hit you with the buckle end like a bullwhip. Then the second boss has 2 dogs that help him out and a huge machete as his primary weapon, where playing defensively is key as he has a lot of grapples and likes following up with his machete while you are down. The first boss taught me how to attack off a wall too, but I can't get it to work much so I don't bother yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Honestly, I think Kuze was a better villain than Ryuji

I really liked Kuze as an antagonist. He was a really solidly gritty, serious guy that worked really well opposite of Kiryu. I liked him more than the other antagonist - but I don't think their roles could have been swapped without tanking the great buildup the story had. All three of them were great and their VA's brought a lot of life to the roles.

I'm playing Kiwami and the pacing is weird. I've been playing Chapter 4 for like a week now because there's just so god drat much to do. And I'm still not done.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Petit Gregory posted:

I decided to buy EDF 5 since it's half off with PS Plus right now. Now I'm knee deep in giant bug monster guts while my fellow EDF squad mates are having a moral dilemma about killing giant 30ft frogmen because they "look just like us" and can't stand the thought of killing their own.

30ft frog men.

I love this dumb, stupid game!

My friends and I call them Nigels, because they look almost exactly like Nigel Farage.

The smaller, flying ones are called Flygels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've seen people complain that Kuze shows up too often and I genuinely dont understand it. Every Kuze fight is a delight