Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pixeltendo posted:

Why do I get a weird Illumination vibe from those shots.

Because Pixar has fallen pretty far from its glory days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pixeltendo posted:

Why do I get a weird Illumination vibe from those shots.

I didn't see the resemblance until you pointed it out, but for me, it's mostly the roundness of the dragon's eye. That's always what I've liked least about Illumination's designs, because it makes it seem more like clip-art or craft store stamp art - like emojis, even before they made the Emoji Film. I've only noticed that when they're doing an adaptation instead of something original, though.

Other than that, though, I think the screenshots are all right. I'm looking forward to it more than I had been.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

lunar detritus posted:

Isn't that just grown up Sadness?

And blue Linguini.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

and Remy's brother, but an elf

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW I've been trying to find this super-old recently restored cartoon with a line morphing into the legs of a chicken and dancing, with the body of the chicken occasionally joining them before wandering off. It starts off with fully animated opening titles and one of the letters unfolds into the line to start the whole thing. It was reportedly Pablo Picasso's favourite work of animation. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I saw it a few months ago and forgot where.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

And blue Linguini.

Luija board.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Found it btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8yqduOJOA Hen Hop

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hedrigall posted:

My fiancé and I had a great time watching it. Of course it doesn’t match up to the original and of course Robin Williams can never be replaced but gosh darn if it wasn’t a fun time at the movies.

The song and dance scenes are spectacular, with the possible exception of One Jump Ahead which feels weirdly lifeless. Friend Like Me comes close to a honest-to-god cartoon in live action. It’s surreal. Will Smith is charming throughout and really steals the whole show. Rajah is awesome but under utilised.

Yeah, the human trio (Al, Jasmine and Jafar) are the blandest part of the movie but it’s fine. There’s enough going on around them to enjoy.

The new song Speechless is good but feels really out of place amongst all the Menken/Ashman classics. It’s like a 2019 pop song crammed in to a timeless musical. It feels like something out of The Greatest Showman.

Agreed on Speechless. It wasn't bad but felt out of place. It felt like a song from Hamilton or something.

Arabian Nights I thought was the best "remix" of the movie. They did a good job updating it.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Norman McLaren is awesome: https://www.nfb.ca/directors/norman-mclaren/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reminder that animation peaked, in the USSR, in the late 60s :ussr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARPtxqdWOE&t=518s

English subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOo6oKdLCQ

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 31, 2019

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8DKg_fsacM

Ehh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
let's make another fantastic setting banal, yes, fantastic.

Looks better than Bright though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Liked: Bridge Troll

Disliked: there should have been like a businessman with a briefcase on the side of the van. Something like that.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Dragon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

21 Muns posted:

Bad Dragon.

My God, if any kid should happen to Google that...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I think this is cute. I'm interested.

I know people don't like it, but I personally love Pixar's weird thing of putting non-mundane things like monsters, or fairy tale creatures or emotions in boring regular people bullshit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

21 Muns posted:

Bad Dragon.

Good idea for a merchandise tie-in!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The monsters in your closet are an industry to create power.
The after life has a security toll booth.
Your mind is run by people pushing buttons.
The dinosaurs are just people.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Eagerly awaiting the list of most gently caress able dragons in New Pixar film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still disappointed that Inside Out didn't have some nerd's brain be the Megazord control room.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pick posted:

:emptyquote:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
That is painful levels of "what if we made monsters inc again but this time didn't even bother to make up our own monsters"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This looks like all those webcomics about genderqueer monsters with relationship drama, only stripped of any countercultural value those comics have. Of course, there is

21 Muns posted:

Bad Dragon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's about going to their dad's funeral (or scattering his ashes maybe?) and it's based on the writer's true story with his real brother and real dead dad so I guess it's written from a real place for someone but man does it look ungodly generic. Like there is 50 other recent "what if it was fairy tale stuff but they lived like it was modern day" including shrek and monsters inc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's about going to their dad's funeral (or scattering his ashes maybe?) and it's based on the writer's true story with his real brother and real dead dad

I was about to come in here and post this, because I was just reading that plot synopsis too. I'm not mad at Pixar for leaning so hard on the tear-jerker thing, but when I read that it was like aw drat. Here we go again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pospysyl posted:

This looks like all those webcomics about genderqueer monsters with relationship drama, only stripped of any countercultural value those comics have. Of course, there is

but where are the candy corn horns

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not every animal needs to just be a dog, pixar.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sir Lemming posted:

I was about to come in here and post this, because I was just reading that plot synopsis too. I'm not mad at Pixar for leaning so hard on the tear-jerker thing, but when I read that it was like aw drat. Here we go again.

It being a real personal story of the actual writer makes it hard to be mean about it but god is pixar in a rut on this stuff.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 1, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
yeah! :kimchi:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of Monsters Inc

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan/status/1134502774153076736

This is from when Disney formed their own off brand Pixar to produce Pixar content before they actually owned the company. None of those movies were ever made, and that department was later transferred to Disney’s own Cg studio.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Do kids even get the painted van joke? I guess they would've seen them in other movies. There's something about the look that does make me think 70s/80s movie suburbs. I didn't realize it was based on something from the writer's life though, so the aesthetic might be on purpose.

Anyways, it will probably be fine. Not excited by another Pixar tear jerker though.

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARPtxqdWOE&t=518s

English subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOo6oKdLCQ

I watched this last time it was posted. Loved it!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/size_stuff/status/1134322799743447040

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's about going to their dad's funeral (or scattering his ashes maybe?) and it's based on the writer's true story with his real brother and real dead dad so I guess it's written from a real place for someone but man does it look ungodly generic. Like there is 50 other recent "what if it was fairy tale stuff but they lived like it was modern day" including shrek and monsters inc.

this is going to get so many comparisons to God of War (2018)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And yet you wouldn't believe how many people pitch a fit if a fantasy game doesn't have these as its default options. And start grumbling about special snowflakes if you pick anything other than human.

Funny thing is in the long run most people end up just picking human or something distinctly nonhuman.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And yet you wouldn't believe how many people pitch a fit if a fantasy game doesn't have these as its default options. And start grumbling about special snowflakes if you pick anything other than human.

Funny thing is in the long run most people end up just picking human or something distinctly nonhuman.

It would be neat if there was a game where standard human was the big slow option or the weak agile option.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

It would be neat if there was a game where standard human was the big slow option or the weak agile option.

The D&D chat thread had a topic for a while on the fantasy settings people came up with as kids, usually cliched as hell but sometimes interesting, and it was pointed out that one setting had humans be the smallest 'player' race rather than average.

Even Star Trek somewhat unusually has humans be among the weakest of the 'main' races; Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, and even freakin Ferengi are all super-strong by human standards, though the show doesn't always remember that, and it's usually significant if an alien race is more physically frail or weaker than humans rather than equal or stronger.

And hell, going back to Lord of the Rings, humans are significant in the setting but the story itself has humans be a minority of the main characters and the hobbits are the main viewpoint ones. (and have a society the most like the author's own) The Hobbit even significantly has no human main characters. (presuming Gandalf doesn't count)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
All Pixar trailers tend to be pretty terrible, but yeah after Good Dinosaur I’m not gonna ignore the fact that Pixar can take an interesting concept or setting and then do absolutely nothing with it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ccs posted:

Speaking of Monsters Inc

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan/status/1134502774153076736

This is from when Disney formed their own off brand Pixar to produce Pixar content before they actually owned the company. None of those movies were ever made, and that department was later transferred to Disney’s own Cg studio.

Option 1: Mike and Sully plan to celebrate Boo's birthday but find out she has moved.
Option 2: Mike and Sully plan to celebrate Boo's birthday but find out monster and human timescale is very askewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yellow Ant posted:

Do kids even get the painted van joke? I guess they would've seen them in other movies. There's something about the look that does make me think 70s/80s movie suburbs. I didn't realize it was based on something from the writer's life though, so the aesthetic might be on purpose.
Yeah, I think people need to move on from the question of "will kids get it?" Kids still watch tons of old poo poo. I used a Twilight Zone episode for an ongoing lesson my homeroom had about beauty standards and a bunch of them started binging it. They also randomly start singing Radiohead songs. Kids are weird and culture is recursive.

I think it looks okay, but the Monsters Inc comparison is kind of weird. Monsters Inc. isn't really rooted in fantasy but more just generic ideas of monsters under the bed outside of the Yeti's appearance. It also has a really, really different aesthetic going for it. There are definitely some modern--nearly twenty years ago--hooks in Monsters, but it maintains a very 1950s industrial film feel. Inside Out is definitely a closer visual cousin in that way.