Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is the new take on the Chronicles of Darkness stuff good? Did they cut out any of the "yikes"?

And that Ocean Hotel quest is so loving good even today: great build up of suspense and tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TulliusCicero posted:

Is the new take on the Chronicles of Darkness stuff good? Did they cut out any of the "yikes"?

And that Ocean Hotel quest is so loving good even today: great build up of suspense and tension

Chronicles is very good and largely much less Yikes than oWoD, the exception being Beast, which we don't talk about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
But wasn't there a thing where they tried to publish an updated version and one of the authors slipped in a bunch of nazi references or something?

I dunno, I heard weird things. I'm just gonna hang on to my oWoD and nWoD books.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zaphod42 posted:

But wasn't there a thing where they tried to publish an updated version and one of the authors slipped in a bunch of nazi references or something?

I dunno, I heard weird things. I'm just gonna hang on to my oWoD and nWoD books.

Maybe it happened with nWoD too, but that was V5.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's not so much or at least not just that fledgling is a disposable asset; they're also a deniable asset. Your character's motivations can't be tied directly to LaCroix, whereas anything that the Weird Bodyguard does is going to be directly tied to LaCroix.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Chronicles is very good and largely much less Yikes than oWoD, the exception being Beast, which we don't talk about.

You don't talk about it so much that I don't even know what's wrong with it.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

McSpanky posted:

Everything.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are Beast's ostensible villains still the actual heroes? Because that was what pissed me off about the whole thing.

Honestly, I'd have loved it if Beast's conceit was to be a badguy so you can ENCOURAGE emergence of such heroic characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

Are Beast's ostensible villains still the actual heroes? Because that was what pissed me off about the whole thing.

Yeah. Beasts feed off abuse and Heroes are the ones who try to stop it. Now, you might think to yourself 'so the game is about trying to justify doing terrible things to survive'* that's kinda interesting maybe' they're pretty pretty roundly presented as being in the right in most iterations. Heroes, however, Are Bad because they try to stop it. It's a mess and gets a bigger mess the further you look.

*Tip: If you want that, play... I dunno... any edition of Vampire.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

McSpanky posted:

You can find a solid dozen cycles of Beast struggle session in the WoD thread

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a Fatal & Friends review of Beast, just go read that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wiegieman posted:

There's a Fatal & Friends review of Beast, just go read that.

Foreward to the review posted:

An update from 2018

Since I completed this review, [Beast writer] Matt McFarland was accused of molesting an underage girl. He did not refute these accusations, and after the accusations came out he was removed from his moderator position at RPG.net, and since banned from the forum. Additionally Onyx Path Publishing has quietly cut ties with him.

This information does not change my opinion of this book, it is a bad book. But it is now a bad book written by a bad person. This information adds context to the book. It is a game glorifying abusers written by an abuser. Beasts are terrible monsters coded as minorities to try to make them seem like the victims, to try and make them seem like good people. The game tries to say that Beasts are entitled to their predations, that their victims deserve it and that Beasts are actually doing them a favor by teaching them this terrible lesson. And I am honestly disgusted with myself that I ever tried to defend this interpretation as some kind of mistake on McFarland's part.

My only request is that you do not blame Onyx Path Publishing for what you are about to read. The blame rests solely with Matt McFarland.

Thank you
Kurieg

Big yikes there, chief

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

You were warned.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most World of Darkness books, old or new, involve someone telling you they are hot poo poo, when really they are Just The Worst, or at least highly compromised protagonists.

Beast is about some people who are just the worst telling you how great they are, except this time the book seems to agree with them for some reason.

But the other nWoD lines are good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Beast seems to be far worst than most bad aspects of WoD. It seems to be about spreading a nightmare brand, torturing people to "spread wisdom in loss" and fighting "heroes" who are as the book repeatedly describes in ceaseless detail to you, giant assholes. At least in regular WoD, hunters are not presented as only inbred yokel idiots. Here, Heroes that fight beasts cease to be Heroes when their integrity stat rises above 3.

quote:

"A Hero kills a Beast, but then realizes that the nightmare hasn't ended, and his work isn't done. More monsters must die on his sword. He cannot receive the fame he so richly deserves, because the world doesn't believe in monsters, so he smears the Beast's name, drags her publicly into the light, makes her hated for mundane reasons and crimes (real or not), and amasses followers who know the truth about him and his enemy"

What's that? It sounds like Gamergate and MRA Doxxing? Why what a coincidence that surely wasn't intentional at all.

So in summation: Beast is the special vampire snowflake of the mid 2010s.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lame.

Yeah Hunters are cool because they're interesting and relate-able in their own right. You can play a game of Hunters chasing Vampires, or you could play a whole game of Vampires dealing with Hunters. They're not just cartoon NPCs (hopefully)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Crabtree posted:

Beast seems to be far worst than most bad aspects of WoD. It seems to be about spreading a nightmare brand, torturing people to "spread wisdom in loss" and fighting "heroes" who are as the book repeatedly describes in ceaseless detail to you, giant assholes. At least in regular WoD, hunters are not presented as only inbred yokel idiots. Here, Heroes that fight beasts cease to be Heroes when their integrity stat rises above 3.

As was mentioned in the WoD thread just recently, they would make great antagonists for Forsaken. Actually playing them, lol gtfo.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Latest paradox video had Brian Misoda talking about malkavians and hinted that the first dlc is going to be nosferatu and sewers as a huge thing. Sounds dope.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

McSpanky posted:

Big yikes there, chief

Holy poo poo, you said it :stare: Is Onyx path still selling Beast? Because if I was in charge I'd just cut the line entirely.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Beast is basically a Black Dog game that somehow escaped into reality.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo, you said it :stare: Is Onyx path still selling Beast? Because if I was in charge I'd just cut the line entirely.

They're still putting out supplements that support it even.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm decently optimistic this game will be decent or at least fine-but-kinda-below-average. A lot of people I know are suddenly criticizing it and saying its going to suck, so I'm not sure if they're just nerd whining or that I've missed grim news. I go to conventions a lot for a small indie publisher so its weird to see like a world elements be radically different for the game and have attempted awkward small talk with the person who wrote the original idea.

The situation between Onyx Path and new White Wolf, which I don't know super well, and the status of who owns the rights to what and is being written by who is confusing and also kind of weird. It looks like the people working on V20 did not write 5th Edition at all if I'm reading the writer credits correctly*. That always struct me as strange, since going in a new direction and making big changes in a new edition makes sense.. but why buy a very large IP with a dedicated/established fan base who are consistently buying the V20 product line if you're going to make major changes to the setting and that impact the fundamental game with an entirely different mechanical system immediately.

I'm sure there must be a reason but that struck me as strange since it sort of means buying an IP, then ignoring/alienating the factors that make the IP have value. I don't know the situation but quickly ending a still pretty successful book line so it won't compete with your new edition, which is radically different in the kind of way that fans of the existing line may not be particularly interested seems like a really risky and potentially bad strategy. Maybe Paradox has made some of the choices on what to do with the universe they bought is potentially from them not having extensive experience or familiarity with the tabletop market?

Deciding that you want to make a sequel to a cult classic remembered because of its faithfulness to the setting, rich world that non-tabletop players got to explore and enjoy, and nostalgia factor but use the new setting is also weird unless they see the new edition as the future of the property and stronger product, and therefore want their big game hyped up by fan support to introduce new players (who never played the original bloodlines) to the setting you're putting forward.

That all seems weird but like it has ended up not being a big deal, so maybe I'm overthinking it. What's important is that we have not gotten KOTE20 and as of messaging Rich Thomas a few months ago there were no plans to make it, which is understandable but unfortunate.

*Apparently my friend is listed as a writer for V5, which I had no idea about, so they did not just use local writers either.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm decently optimistic this game will be decent or at least fine-but-kinda-below-average. A lot of people I know are suddenly criticizing it and saying its going to suck, so I'm not sure if they're just nerd whining or that I've missed grim news.

I think people are just getting impatient for gameplay and are kind of picking apart the info we have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

It's still up on Drive Thru RPG, etc., but I don't think anybody's hot to work on the line.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Which, to once again reiterate, gameplay is stated to surface 8 days from now on June 10th from the Malkavian video from paradox. We're getting antsy, but its close to more info time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dawgstar posted:

It's still up on Drive Thru RPG, etc., but I don't think anybody's hot to work on the line.

Contagion Chronicle has rules for Beast characters, so it’s hardly like they’re disowning it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lucinice posted:

I think people are just getting impatient for gameplay and are kind of picking apart the info we have.

Heh, that's nothing. Over in the Infinity Engine thread, we've got people freaking out and declaring they won't buy Baldur's Gate III....which hasn't actually been officially announced yet. It's the reaction to the drip-feed hype machines that companies use these days. By rationing the information that people need to decide if they actually want a game so tightly, it leaves a lot of room for people to either build their ideal game in their heads, which you will inevitably fail to live up to, or to assume that everything they hear that is even slightly annoying is a game-breaking debacle, and reason not to buy it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lucinice posted:

Yeah, that’s just the natural anticipation curve for games, I guess - first it’s hype (either based on the IP or the developer), then when little to no additional info comes out people start getting antsy to angry, literally getting worried and/or worked up about nothing until a certain threshold is reached and people are hyped again. Just look at the original Doom 2016 thread where for a long while many posters were 100% convinced that it would be an absolute disaster for reasons that in hindsight were flimsy at best and outright fabricated at worst (though a questionable marketing strategy on the publisher‘s side also contributed to that)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Contagion Chronicle has rules for Beast characters, so it’s hardly like they’re disowning it.

One of the rules meant to supercharge your characters or something does screw over Beasts, so I get the feeling its more they feel like they can't just ignore it entirely.

For reference it was something that set your power stat to 10 or something, which for Beasts makes them powerless or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Heh, that's nothing. Over in the Infinity Engine thread, we've got people freaking out and declaring they won't buy Baldur's Gate III....which hasn't actually been officially announced yet. It's the reaction to the drip-feed hype machines that companies use these days. By rationing the information that people need to decide if they actually want a game so tightly, it leaves a lot of room for people to either build their ideal game in their heads, which you will inevitably fail to live up to, or to assume that everything they hear that is even slightly annoying is a game-breaking debacle, and reason not to buy it.

On the one hand, I really love when a game just announces itself with a gameplay trailer and its coming out in like 6 months or less, that's always refreshing not to have this 3 year hype campaign.

But on the other hand, jesus christ nerds need to stop whipping themselves into a frenzy and then throwing a hissyfit when reality doesn't match their personal fantasy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

The situation between Onyx Path and new White Wolf, which I don't know super well, and the status of who owns the rights to what and is being written by who is confusing and also kind of weird. It looks like the people working on V20 did not write 5th Edition at all if I'm reading the writer credits correctly*. That always struct me as strange, since going in a new direction and making big changes in a new edition makes sense.. but why buy a very large IP with a dedicated/established fan base who are consistently buying the V20 product line if you're going to make major changes to the setting and that impact the fundamental game with an entirely different mechanical system immediately

So White Wolf owns the WoD IPs. Paradox Games owns White Wolf. Onyx Path is a bunch of former White Wolf employees who license the IP from White Wolf. Sewdracula got a bug up his rear end and made Onyx Path change their games from New World of Darkness to Chronicles of Darkness mid stream. Sewdracula and his team worked on V5 and when the beta was released people found a bunch of alt-right and NeoNazi calling cards through out it as well as the whole downplaying of the on going Chechnya genocide of gay people. This caused Paradox to go “How about we don’t?”, removed White Wolf’s self agency, and purge its entire writing staff. After which they did a rewrite of V5 and now even Swedracula is gone. Bloodlines 2 is based on the rewritten V5 line.

There’s three lines right now; V5 Vampire the Masquerade which is the WhiteWolf/Paradox line, 20th Anniversary Vampire the Masquerade which is basically a legacy version of the old WhiteWolf line (I believe this line is being slowly phased out now?), and nWoD/CoD Vampire the Requiem. It’s only confusing to follow because of Swedracula making Onyx change titles midway through so you had some VtR books under the World of Darkness title and newer books under Chronicles of Darkness despite being the same line.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'd be kinda curious to see the new version of vampire.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious how the US is populated and controlled through Kindred circles. From what little I've seen, New York is Sabbat controlled, any region of the south that has significant urban sprawl is being invaded by Ventrue, Toreador and Tremere entrepreneurship, while the greener or rural areas are werewolf country; the great plains have Anarch biker gangs and Washington State, outside of Cammie Seattle, is a loving free for all from Technomancers, a constant wave of dissatisfied California Anarchs moving north and the vast Lupine forests of British Columbia that make sure most Kindred avoid Canada.

Apparently Vampires have to be less lethal and active up there, you know, because there's a lot less wanton murder than the US. With Vancover's Prince having any mortal being killed by a vampire being a death sentence, no excuses.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crabtree posted:

Apparently Vampires have to be less lethal and active up there, you know, because there's a lot less wanton murder than the US. With Vancover's Prince having any mortal being killed by a vampire being a death sentence, no excuses.

That's because most of the Mounties are kindred hunting garou.

No, seriously, that's the lore. 90s as gently caress.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

That's because most of the Mounties are kindred hunting garou.

No, seriously, that's the lore. 90s as gently caress.

Sometimes the WoD lore is just stupid enough that it circles around to being awesome again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would watch at least 4 seasons of prestige TV about Canadian Vampire Cops hunting werewolves

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its more like Canadian Vampire townies getting into scrapes with Werewolf cops and hicks.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd run a fully Canadian campaign. I'd run it in a heartbeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I would watch at least 4 seasons of prestige TV about Canadian Vampire Cops hunting werewolves

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Ey, we went out for for a rip but the dang Sabbat turned it into a right gonger.

Hey Cknoor? Can you tell Paradox we want a Canadian Vampire game? God I hope season of the wolf takes place around Canada now.