Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow

quote:

These points are the most baffling to me. Did people there not understand the whole reason any of us are interested in the first place is because Barkley 1 was funny? Who gives a poo poo about the systems or millions of guns or whatever, all we ever wanted was a funny game.
I'm in this camp as well but I can say in my experience the design simply could not be changed in any simple manner. The reason I even agreed to commit to this project was because I was told I would be able to make executive decisions if necessary. Any time I brought up any issue it was immediately turned into some hour long meeting or justification of why it's "needed".

quote:

i guess on the bright side barkley 2 isn't the worst about this (that'd be omori).
I would only give credit to B2 if one of the core people of this project would have said something earlier. From what I have seen, most were fine with the idea of this project fading into obscurity.

quote:

Also, the ToG site still offers preorders promising the game for early 2014.
Welcome to the legendary ToG work ethic, incapable of removing a single link / page.

quote:

I'm curious who this person holding the reigns of barkley 2 is, since it apparently isn't any of the obvious names, i.e. cboy, bort, lazrool.
This project was started by Chef, Bort, and Bort's brother. I don't know why things were done the way they were, but Bort's brother registered the ToG corporation and is the sole owner of it. All work done on contract is owned by ToG, which I'd say is about 35% of the total work. The remaining work was to be negotiated for percentages, etc.

It was always presented that myself, Bort, and Chef had some kind of control of the company. However, when things started going very badly on this project and I pressed Bort's brother, it was essentially admitted that we have no control and we're stuck with him. No one ever agreed to this, but on paper he does own the company.

quote:

To be fair, "needlessly complicated systems, obsolete systems, and totally broken systems" are exactly what I thought they were going for, intentionally.
When I reference such systems, I mostly refer to a totally broken scripting and cinema system (when I joined the game only had 1 cutscene), the game taking 15 minutes to compile, and massive amount of bugs. About 80% of the work I did on this game was simply fixing broken, unfinished, or thought to be functional things.

If anyone has any information to contradict what I'm saying, they have been free to post for all these years to clear the record, and can even post in this thread now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Still not sure why no one just made Barkley 2 using the original engine, no one would have cared and in fact most probably would have preferred it to whatever this game was supposed to be

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
That simple bball tactics game that they said would come out soon years ago that never came out was probably a good sign this was a doomed project.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
How much is even known about Cboyardee, beyond those Dilbert cartoons he made?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

drat.
At least Frankie's horror rpg is going great.

Hit me up with this, what is it?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hiratio posted:

It was always presented that myself, Bort, and Chef had some kind of control of the company. However, when things started going very badly on this project and I pressed Bort's brother, it was essentially admitted that we have no control and we're stuck with him. No one ever agreed to this, but on paper he does own the company.

so, basically whatever new hires or whatever is going to dodder on this dead game based on the company said brother owns?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Victory Position posted:

Hit me up with this, what is it?
Frankie has been working on his own horror rpg project for years now. It started as a little side project so he'd have an excuse draw tons of awesome monsters on the weekends but recently transitioned into being his main project. Not formally announced yet, but he streams work on it most days. It is going to be insane. Also full disclosure I am drawing some tiles for it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Frankie has been working on his own horror rpg project for years now. It started as a little side project so he'd have an excuse draw tons of awesome monsters on the weekends but recently transitioned into being his main project. Not formally announced yet, but he streams work on it most days. It is going to be insane. Also full disclosure I am drawing some tiles for it.

well I'm fuckin' interested, the man needs a reprieve from all the drat gun's he drew for a game that never happened

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Excels posted:

* Weighed 750 pounds
* Parents were both Charles Manson (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to school every day
* Had the word "homo" instead of a mouth

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Excels posted:

he also made georg bush cartoons

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
goodnight sweat prints

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Yoya posted:

* Weighed 750 pounds

:eyepop: Sounds like quite a character.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CYBEReris posted:

he also made georg bush cartoons

rip to the real ones, the powerful bad boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4md49sb_7R0

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yoya posted:

* Weighed 750 pounds

*appreciative chuckle*

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Excels posted:

big Shrek fan

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hiratio posted:

I would only give credit to B2 if one of the core people of this project would have said something earlier. From what I have seen, most were fine with the idea of this project fading into obscurity.

omori got twice as much as tog for a much easier/smaller project and i'm pretty sure has been silent for a lot longer.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

As someone with no real connection to the project but who does know some of the people who worked on it personally, I am going to caution against taking a single person's brief account of events as the final word. I probably shouldn't even say that much, but I've seen brain geniuses on twitter renewing their declaration of the kickstarter as a "scam" based on the updates posted itt, which I find infuriating considering how many hours have been put into the project with such a meager budget.

I mean I don't think any of this implies it's a scam in the least. it's a project that ran out of money, and fizzled out due to a lack of additional funds and poor management. which sounds like the majority of indie projects honestly.

also this is the only person's account that we have to go off of. we've not gotten an update in literal years.

this whole thing is a shame because I really liked what little of the demo I played at a convention, and all the art and stuff looked absolutely fantastic. I have a glimmer of hope that we at least get a resource dump and maybe an unfinished build at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Unfinished build and resource dump would honestly probably be worth my :10bux: if the stuff they've got in the tank is as good as what little the public's seen

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

what I'm really saying is that if anybody wants to leak a build my DMs are open

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

everythingWasBees posted:

what I'm really saying is that if anybody wants to leak a build my DMs are open

same, I liked what I saw at PAX in Seattle a few years back, I wish I could play that demo build again if nothing else

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

edit: lol this is popping off now, nevermind!!

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 2, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/1135282911274504192

The plot thickens, maybe this was an extremely high level tactic to draw the devs out of hiding

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/1135279961483485184

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/1135282294984499200

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/1135282911274504192

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

schism indeed

https://twitter.com/GZStorm/status/1135283245329731584

https://twitter.com/GZStorm/status/1135283397469675520

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Canon Hoopz settings

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oh sheeit

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it’s always meltdown May somewhere

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

jeez louise!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
post-irony is officially dead

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
lmwao at people demanding refunds

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still regret not contributing to the kickstarter

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this is what they call in basketball "feeding the rock"

MagurEnch
Nov 28, 2015

Excels posted:

He did writing for Katana Zero

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sharrrk posted:

i still regret not contributing to the kickstarter

I regret not giving enough money for the Daki

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i love this dead game's dead thread in a dead forum

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the first dead was unironic just in the interest of full disclosure
im p sure barkley 2 is actually dead

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

As someone with no real connection to the project but who does know some of the people who worked on it personally, I am going to caution against taking a single person's brief account of events as the final word. I probably shouldn't even say that much, but I've seen brain geniuses on twitter renewing their declaration of the kickstarter as a "scam" based on the updates posted itt, which I find infuriating considering how many hours have been put into the project with such a meager budget.

They are right now at this moment letting people pay money for a project that does not exist, has made no real effort towards existing for years now, and which they have actively worked to obfuscate the fact that it will not ever exist. That's pretty much the definition of a scam.

Scarodactyl posted:

Ah, that classic scam where you put in hundreds of hours of skilled labor for free to own your mark.

Just because someone made a game you liked 11 years ago doesn't mean that they're a good person or that you have to defend them. Especially when they weren't the people who by and large actually did do all the skilled labor for free.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

what a time to be alive

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
If the original guys got together and made their own Barkley 2, which one would be more canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Barls Charkley 63 1/3rd Director's Cut, Blockbuster Video Edition, Not For Resale