Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

none of that sounds literally anythng like what i would want barkley 2 to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

This is all so heartbreakingly familiar and has so many of the red flags I've learned to identify in projects:

1) "when everything was implemented according to design it would all come together." I refer to this style of development as building from the outside in. It's what tends to happen when people just work on the things they find fun or interesting and assume loosely stringing them together makes a game. It never works and the result always feels unfinished.

2) "Suggesting we keep things simple was ignored" A common pitfall new developers fall into. Some designers think not breaking new ground on every single feature reflects negatively on their ability, so you end up with a lot of games that needlessly reinvent the wheel and waste resources that could be better used elsewhere.

3) "Everyone had different ideas of what combat should be" this is probably the most damaging one. I've worked on teams where everyone had wildly different perspectives of what they wanted to the point that compromise was impossible. In my experience this is usually due to 1) poor leadership and 2) hiring team members whose personalities don't mix

This is mostly conjecture so I'm sure it might not 100% be the case. But either way I super appreciate you giving your perspective and I'm glad you got out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

For example, one legit funny joke was your Party. You only ever played as Hoopz, but on your equipment menu there were four party members. You could always see them in your menu but never in game. As I recall it, at the literal final second of the game the other 3 party members would appear out of Hoopz like in a Final Fantasy game and say "Wow, we did it!" "Hell yeah!". Kind of funny actually, but, it’s just one small joke. It would make sense, then, from a return on investment standpoint, to not actually implement your party as characters with actual stats and equipment that actually level up alongside you, available with actual status menus. But B2 ideas sometimes made very little sense. There was a serious idea that these characters should do all that so you could see them progressing as if they were with you. Explaining the effort needed to make this particular dream come true was met with That's The Joke.

couldn't you have just had their equipment and stats randomly generate every time you open the menu, like just spit out a few random three digit numbers and some generic gun/armor names

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bisse posted:

For example, one legit funny joke was your Party. You only ever played as Hoopz, but on your equipment menu there were four party members. You could always see them in your menu but never in game. As I recall it, at the literal final second of the game the other 3 party members would appear out of Hoopz like in a Final Fantasy game and say "Wow, we did it!" "Hell yeah!". Kind of funny actually, but, it’s just one small joke. It would make sense, then, from a return on investment standpoint, to not actually implement your party as characters with actual stats and equipment that actually level up alongside you, available with actual status menus. But B2 ideas sometimes made very little sense. There was a serious idea that these characters should do all that so you could see them progressing as if they were with you. Explaining the effort needed to make this particular dream come true was met with That's The Joke. Thankfully this feature was cut before any serious time was spent on it. Not all similar features were cut.
Why not just take the player's stats and scale them by a different factor for each character? Seems straight forward and dynamic enough.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Bisse posted:

That's why the game had at one point eight damage types and a complex elemental resistance system that never really worked well in practice meaning mostly you just considered normal damage and ignored the rest. Some systems were made way too complicated for any player to ever understand

This reminds me of when Killing Floor 2 pulled this kind of poo poo where different gun types dealt different damage to each different enemy and there was a collective groan over such a stupid idea. There was a graph for every mob, but you can't really tailor your choice to match which type of enemies you were facing since you faced all of them at once, so you just picked the gun you wanted anyway and never interacted with the system. Presumably in an RPG there's some tailoring available, like all the poison monsters in the sewer zone are weak to psychic attacks, but if I were to get a Jalapeno Shotgun's of the DC Cinematic Universe that I really liked there's a good chance I use it because you can't always know or predict the resistances you're going to face and it's easier to not care as long as things die.

Bisse posted:

In an attempt to make the game challenging, then, you have limited bullets and when I left in 2017 there was still no way to refill bullets without returning to the save point. So the challenge was resource management. Since there was no way we could ever add weak melee attacks you could use if you run out of bullets because This Is A Game About Guns, meaning if you run out you’re actually out of ways to attacks, it made balancing the game really, really awkward. Loads and loads of time was spent on gun’s balancing to make this work.

Attrition is only fun as long as you never run out of resources but always feel like you might, which is a hard rope to balance on and i feel the solution is self evident for a small team that's out of time. If gameplay ever grinds to a complete stop because you're out of the resources that let you play the game the sour taste you get strongly taints any fun you were having. Dark Souls series' attrition is health which at least has the courtesy of killing you.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Endorph posted:

couldn't you have just had their equipment and stats randomly generate every time you open the menu, like just spit out a few random three digit numbers and some generic gun/armor names
Yeah 'Couldn't you just X' was a common topic in B2 development. Although my memory is too foggy to say if this came up in this discussion.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 3, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its a shame that bhroom guy seems totally deluded

he doesnt sound like a bad dude but i totally recognise the "i cannot admit this failed, because that would be failing and i wont fail you" thing long after the project has failed

e: i think he might have editted the bit i was talking about in the KS update from "give me a chance" which is hilarious to
"Once again. I’m going to work hard to make this right and make this game." which is insane

but maybe im confusing it with a different post

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the one thing i do think is genuinely shady from bhroom is how clearly hes hiding how far the game is from completion on twitter, from the sounds of things its not anywhere near completion and when people ask "how far is this from completion" he basically dodges the question and says there has been lots of content added that he can post a KS update of
thats the part where he goes from deluded perseverence and optimism to trying to delude others imo

he says people should get a demo, when people ask for the PAX demo he says thats not reflective of the game as it is now so we can't have that, but first they need to "clean up" the code. so i.e. there will be no demo.

apparently they need money to do this, he's looking at taking out loans. why? frankly nobody wants a broken game made by people who arent funny.
it seems obvious he's genuinely trying to finish it but thats just psychotic at this point, its dead and if bhroom and a skeleton crew could finish it it wouldnt be what people want.

if it was just GZ saying the game is dead thats one thing, but now all the devs anyone cares about (apart from chef who is still hiding) say its dead, apart from one ideas guy running the twitter.
bhroom is constantly posting "if the game dies" "if the game is dead" he'll do x
its dead, mate, just stop

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This thread reminds me of when I was moving out of my parents house and found my old tamagotchi ripoff thing from years before. It had died, starved and lonely, in a wretched pile of its own feces

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Convex posted:

This thread reminds me of when I was moving out of my parents house and found my old tamagotchi ripoff thing from years before. It had died, starved and lonely, in a wretched pile of its own feces
actual tamagotchis do that too, you might have had an actual tamagotchi

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Patware posted:

hmm...

a dark draker gang tag...

Dark Draker's Booty Shakers

make you clap 7 times before you hit the ground

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m trying to compile the greatest game for true doom murderheads but my scripting is dummy thicc and is bloating the code

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
barkley 1: a funny joke about a incoherent rpgmaker game congealed by the collective gestalt of insane early internet fandoms, captures the zeitgeist of the bottom 90% of 2000 era amateur fandom game dev
barkley 2: an actual example of a vaporware game kickstarted by the ironic-not-ironic gestalt of a cult fandom of a niche indie title, captures the zeitgeist of the bottom 90% of 2010 era amateur fandom game dev

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also lmao

Tiler Kiwi from 2015 posted:

i wanted a story of internal breakdown and financial ruin you dull rear end in a top hat

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 3, 2019

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

mycot posted:

Times like these I am very glad to have made a Something Awful account.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
Nice lesson for amateur devs: With a Kickstarter you don't want to be the one they catch holding the empty bag. If someone leaves you the bag and falls off the grid, you pass it on to the next guy or drop it and run.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6nlIvmr_U

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hope chef can go back to making cool weirdass internet content more openly now that the beans are spilled

I dunno the guy just ghosted his dev team, leaving them with a massive mess to deal with. That's a pretty huge dick move to come back from. At least it seems like he didn't steal any funds from the project when he did so.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno the guy just ghosted his dev team, leaving them with a massive mess to deal with. That's a pretty huge dick move to come back from. At least it seems like he didn't steal any funds from the project when he did so.

I thought he bailed because it was mismanaged and going nowhere and had no money at that point. It's not abundantly clear to what extent him leaving was a cause, and to what extent it was an effect of the project failing.

Anyway as a content hog I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt unless it becomes clear he was a bad actor here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mystical greetings

semper games

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
FREE THE GAMES

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bisse posted:

okay

Let’s start with the overall Combat, because it’s a good example of how development on the game went.

I joined in 2013 just after the KS to work on combat and core engine stuff. The game was effectively divided into two parts, Quest and Combat. There was rarely more than one person working actively on combat. Praise to my lucky stars that I was not involved in the quest side of the game, looking in from the outside it looked like a loving nightmare - near the end of 2017 the massive first area with interconnecting, multiple-path, time-based quests had been reworked from the ground up at least once and, if I recall correctly, it was still not done. To be honest though, the first area seemed to be very good, and when it was demoed at conventions it was well received. So overall B2 had a high quality for the pieces that did finally click into the puzzle.

The pitch for combat was: Hardcore RPG with guns. Basically Nuclear Throne with some heavy RPG elements and gun fusion. There was ideas for enemies hiding behind cover, flanking, being vulnerable from behind. There was already a bare-bones prototype there when I joined. My first step was to make combat feel more 'solid', with better movement, collisions, AI, and just overall a better feel. In hindsight this was a big mistake and it was my mistake completely, we should have just ran with bare bones combat and got combat done. If I had taken that path, combat would today have been simpler, closer to completion, and perhaps even more fun.

Far down the line we wanted to create a mountain area. To deal with height differences as you scale the cold, windswept mountain sides of Necron 7, I added a map height system so tile maps and characters had different elevation. Then because we later worked more on the starting area which was the Sewers, we started implementing the height maps in... the... Sewers... first. It took a huge amount of time and didn’t really add anything to the game. So that was a big waste of time on my end and was just yet another thing that slowed everyone down.

Everyone had different ideas of what combat should be. There was a healthy struggle between making it more fast-paced and action-oriented versus slower and focusing on the RPG bits. However there was a worrying trend starting where we looked less at what the game was actually playing like and more at what was written down in design docs or what the initial ideas from project start was. After two years, combat was still not fun but the push was towards implementing the original designs. The belief was that when everything was implemented according to design it would all come together. Another more direct way to put it is that feedback on design issues and legit serious problems was usually ignored. Eventually after a long time this started to loosen up a bit, but too little too late. Which brings us to the two main points of why combat was boring garbage.

One. Design wise, everything was always massively complicated. Suggesting we keep things simple was ignored, because No that's not the game we want to make. It was sometimes impossible to discuss effort vs value. That's a big part of why gun's fusion took years to get done and working right. That's why the game had at one point eight damage types and a complex elemental resistance system that never really worked well in practice meaning mostly you just considered normal damage and ignored the rest, or at least I found myself doing that when playtesting. Some systems were made way too complicated for any player to ever understand because That's The Joke. Pushing to make the game simpler was really hard, but sometimes the penny dropped, and luckily we avoided some excessive poo poo.

For example, one legit funny joke was your Party. You only ever played as Hoopz, but on your equipment menu there were four party members. You could always see them in your menu but never in game. As I recall it, at the literal final second of the game the other 3 party members would appear out of Hoopz like in a Final Fantasy game and say "Wow, we did it!" "Hell yeah!". Kind of funny actually, but, it’s just one small joke. It would make sense, then, from a return on investment standpoint, to not actually implement your party as characters with actual stats and equipment that actually level up alongside you, available with actual status menus. But B2 ideas sometimes made very little sense. There was a serious idea that these characters should do all that so you could see them progressing as if they were with you. Explaining the effort needed to make this particular dream come true was met with That's The Joke. Thankfully this feature was cut before any serious time was spent on it. Not all similar features were cut.

But, in my humble opinion, and everything from here on is completely my personal opinion only, but which Laz also mentioned, there was a much more serious issue with gameplay.

Two. Let’s compare DOOM and Dark Souls. Doom is a fast paced game with guns. You are fast, and have long range guns. Therefore enemies are also fast, some have rapid long range attacks, and they come in huge numbers. Altogether you get a fast run-n-gun FPS. In Dark Souls, you are slow and have basically only melee attacks, and can’t move while attacking. Therefore, enemies are slow, telegraph their attacks, have mostly melee attacks, and come in very few numbers at a time. Altogether you get a slow, methodical action RPG. Both these games are awesome because everything fits together.

Now as a thought experiment, what if you put the player Character from DOOM, in Dark Souls? Well, you would have Barkley 2. Because the combat pitch for Barkley 2 is a Hardcore RPG with guns, the very fixed idea was that enemies should be slow and tactical. At the same time it’s a run-n-gun action game. So, Diablo with guns. In theory, this is actually a very cool idea! But in practice, you’re five times faster than enemies, deal a poo poo ton of damage, and combat is just a joke unless you intentionally let enemies gang up on you. There is no reason to bother learning about the hardcore RPG side of things if the only difference is does slow-rear end mole get whacked in 3 or 5 bullets. Every tool in your toolbox that could make encounter interesting, like locked doors to create arenas, or just spawning in enemies to surround you, were a no-go because that’s classic game cliches that we don’t want to do. Okay. I pitched for and tried out faster enemies, but they were not liked, and also the game was unbalanced and buggy because it’s never really been properly played. The response was to again make all enemies slower across the board. No amount of bringing up how this is not actually fun to play could change management’s direction on combat or even have an open honest discussion about it.

Many did all they could to spice it up. Different people gave different takes on enemies. Frankie did a huge heroic effort to make guns unique and interesting. But in the end you can't fix whats broken by piling more garbage on top.

In an attempt to make the game challenging, then, you have limited bullets and when I left in 2017 there was still no way to refill bullets without returning to the save point. So the challenge was resource management. Since there was no way we could ever add weak melee attacks you could use if you run out of bullets because This Is A Game About Guns, meaning if you run out you’re actually out of ways to attacks, it made balancing the game really, really awkward. Loads and loads of time was spent on gun’s balancing to make this work. I don’t know how it turned out because of the above issue with not being able to actually play the game for real. Zaubers (magic) would help with this issue, but those are another story and are actually what I was working on and halfway through when I left.

All in all combat was, like many things in B2, wild grand ideas that were very hit and miss in practice.

loving these save point quotes for barkley 3

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hopefully chef comes and let's us know what his side of things is at some point rather than just self imposed exile forever

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

make banksy 2 into an incoherent community chain game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
@cboyardee: :justpost: man, we're not even mad we just want funny dev stories

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

@cboyardee: :justpost: man, we're not even mad we just want funny dev stories

im kinda sad but i knew in my heart this game wasn't gonna happen a few years ago

but yea this, more of this

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why does my favorite thread that gets 3-5 posts per week have 385 posts in 3 days? My first conclusion wasn't that the game was done. I figured it was some weird thread invasion or a mod probating people for shitposting about barkley.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Hopefully chef comes and let's us know what his side of things is at some point rather than just self imposed exile forever
I think he used an easily identifiable name everywhere and was harassed by internet people whenever he'd do anything other than nothing or work on b2. I think that image of "looking for work" was him, and people were dicks about it if I remember right.

I'm sure no one who worked on b2 is happy about the state of things, because everyone put in tons of time and it was a project that would have had, at a minimum, mild success upon completion.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 3, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In honor of this dead game:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Khorne posted:

I think he used an easily identifiable name everywhere and was harassed by internet people whenever he'd do anything other than nothing or work on b2. I think that image of "looking for work" was him, and people were dicks about it if I remember right.

I'm sure no one who worked on b2 is happy about the state of things, because everyone put in tons of time and it was a project that would have had, at a minimum, mild success upon completion.

yeah, but thats cause it was the only sign of ANY of the devs for years at that point, now he may as well come get his say or he's just gonna have to keep up the nothing for the rest of his life lol

im sad that B2 is dead in this way, but I'm not mad at anybody. and since i've been starved of barkley content for 7 years its nice to finally have something

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
that would be kind of amazing if someone made barkley 3 in rpgmaker and its all just quotes from the dev of barkley 2

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also sorry to all the devs who lost literal years of their lives to a failed project, but the Content is amazing

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, you know how Leisure Suit Larry 4 never existed, but the series treats it like it did? That's gonna be Barkley 2. Barkley 3 is gonna be made using some of the scrapped content and, God willing, the sprites, but it needs to have callbacks and flashbacks to the never-created Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

that would be kind of amazing if someone made barkley 3 in rpgmaker and its all just quotes from the dev of barkley 2

How does the rights for something like this work? Could the original devs just make a gamemaker Barkley 3 without any middlemen without getting sued?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im going to hire all the barkley 2 devs to smash out a game in a month and claim its a spiritual successor despite being just a basketball themed chrono cross remake full of stolen assets

they'll be paid in exposure and percentages

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
apparently CBoyardee hasn't completely disappeared - he had a writing credit on Katana Zero

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Save Station Menu

Lazrool had Dark Drakers to sour his B2 dev life, I had the Save Station Menu.

The Save Station Menu is just a menu. It allows you to save but also is where you check equipment, refresh stats, level up, fuse gun's, etc. Nothing really extraordinary about it. What is extraordinary is that it was trash binned and recreated from scratch five times.

The first version was an incomplete prototype. Then it was time to add remaining functionality. When we looked at it there was fierce team discussions about its design. Some including me saw potential to make it more user friendly, others wanted to just stick to the original design since it worked and was there. To be honest if you asked me today I would definitely just have kept what was there.

Anyway we came up with new ideas and someone made a second version. This one was a bit buggy and also never quite made it past the prototype stage. But it felt like an improvement. We tackled other more important things and left it to be continued later.

Then one day we open the project and suddenly there is a new Save Station Menu in there, looking similar to the original design but obviously a third new version. Some quite reasonable questions were asked: Who made this and why? Why in the original design? Who took the decision to remove the previous one? Why wasn't the team told? The answer was someone in ToG inner circle had asked someone, I think GZ but am not sure, to remake it according to the original design without informing anyone. The whole thing was just strange.

Aaanyway years passed and the game changed and the menu needed a do-over again, we had the same user interface discussions again, and landed on something which I hunkered down in my code cave and built. There are two screenshots of Version 4 in this update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1335376
To be honest I quite loved this. Also I made this during a time I was out of country with just a macbook and GM:S needs windows, so I bought a new Windows laptop specifically for building this during a time I could otherwise have enjoyed seeing the country.

Then came a personal hiatus due to stress, few months later I shaped up and decided to get back in gear, I open the project, check out the menu and. Lo and behold. There is a new menu again, a version 5. In the original design. Of course no one had bothered to inform me.

And that moment soured me on B2.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 3, 2019

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

:pusheen:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RPG with guns is a sound concept but it’s kind of weird that it would have been a Barkley game. When I think of Barkley gameplay, I think “poo poo.” And then I think b-ball based combat.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Khorne posted:

Why does my favorite thread that gets 3-5 posts per week have 385 posts in 3 days? My first conclusion wasn't that the game was done. I figured it was some weird thread invasion or a mod probating people for shitposting about barkley.

Same, my assumption was "maybe it has been months since I clicked on this. Time functions differently in that thread."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

RPG with guns is a sound concept but it’s kind of weird that it would have been a Barkley game. When I think of Barkley gameplay, I think “poo poo.” And then I think b-ball based combat.

hoopz used gun's.