Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Avenging Spider-Man was the first appearance of Carol as Captain Marvel? Really? That's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Avenging Spider-Man was the first appearance of Carol as Captain Marvel? Really? That's weird.

Yup, it was the date issue and shipped a few weeks before her new #1. Key issues tend to spike in value. New Avengers #whatever, the first appearance of Ronin shot up in price when the Endgame trailer dropped despite it being Echo in the suit and not Clint.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Carol Danvers and Spider-Man has been intertwined since day 1. They shared a supporting cast for years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Carol Danvers and Spider-Man has been intertwined since day 1. They shared a supporting cast for years.

I was all on board for that, like, issue where it seemed they might date but alas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Since they made her such a major figure has there been anything with Jonah about how she used to edit a women's magazine for him?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

Since they made her such a major figure has there been anything with Jonah about how she used to edit a women's magazine for him?

Outside the Generations one shot, which was a dream made by Kobvik? No.

Dawgstar posted:

I was all on board for that, like, issue where it seemed they might date but alas.

Peter + MJ 4 Lfye

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Peter + MJ 4 Lfye

:hai:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Peter + MJ 4 Lfye

I agree, but Peter/Carol is like the closest thing to an interesting story they've done since selling his marriage to satan in order to open up all the potential stories.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
can 100% see why they decided not to do that since it's very hard not to end up reducing any character Spider-Man dates to "Spider-Man's girlfriend"

If you want a superheroine to have a long-term successful solo career that stands out in the public consciousness you absolutely don't want their wagon hitched to a bigger-name character

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Skwirl posted:

I agree, but Peter/Carol is like the closest thing to an interesting story they've done since selling his marriage to satan in order to open up all the potential stories.

Is he back with MJ, or is that whole thing still going?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I heard it didn't happen because someone higher up said that Parker should never date someone stronger than him.

I think it might have been Bendis?

Though I'd love to have seen the story were his girlfriend gets kidnapped where Norman or Doc Ock discovers its Ms Marvel.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skwirl posted:

Can we please just pretend that never happened?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covok posted:

Peter + MJ 4 Lfye
:agreed:

Blockhouse posted:

can 100% see why they decided not to do that since it's very hard not to end up reducing any character Spider-Man dates to "Spider-Man's girlfriend"

If you want a superheroine to have a long-term successful solo career that stands out in the public consciousness you absolutely don't want their wagon hitched to a bigger-name character
And Dan Slott, in his infinite wisdom, decided that Mockingbird, after her critically-acclaimed run under Chelsea Cain, should absolutely be Spider-Man's girlfriend. Peter even wears the 'ASK ME ABOUT MY FEMINIST AGENDA' shirt as a 'hilarious' joke.

Anora posted:

Is he back with MJ, or is that whole thing still going?
Well, the marriage is as of this writing still technically sold to Mephisto, but the first issue of the latest run of Amazing literally started out with a flashback to To Have & To Hold and had Peter & MJ get back together. There's even a panel in that issue that prominently focuses on MJ's ringless hand and Peter muses that something's missing.

So it could all be a tease, but then again enough time's passed that a new generation of pro-marriage writers might have gotten enough clout to start bringing it back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1135652434905317383

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The writing is just as bad as I was expecting:

https://twitter.com/BigMouthNov/status/1135569465544925185

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that's better than any issue of Ms Marvel or Squirrel Girl.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Oh God, is Cyberfrog supposed to be black? Is that why Ethan thinks he loves Fried Chicken?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1135636976479219714

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I can't wrap my mind around that steering wheel.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

I can't wrap my mind around that steering wheel.

It's OK we're clearly in "tell don't show" territory, so the pictures aren't important.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Oh God, is Cyberfrog supposed to be black? Is that why Ethan thinks he loves Fried Chicken?

Between the heavy detailing, unclear balloons, and coloring job of "everything is green" I had to read that page several times to figure out what the hell was going on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder to report any CGers who don't refer to EVS as "Roman" as he has requested! It's what he wants!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder to report any CGers who don't refer to EVS as "Roman" as he has requested! It's what he wants!

He is an armykin, after all. :jerkbag:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

I know you are being funny, but don't play their game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/jekylldraws/status/1135601706811777027?s=19

I don't know who this is, but they have good art, so this is probably them losing commission money.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I started to ask what kind of dipshit con runners would look at funimation, rooster teeth, and god knows who else shitcanning vic and think "oh yeah I will totes keep that dude, surely none of these bigger businesses know something I'm not putting together"

but it kind of answers itself, it's the kind of dipshit con runners that would tell someone they straight up didn't see what they saw with their own two eyes

jesus christ

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/jekylldraws/status/1135601706811777027?s=19

I don't know who this is, but they have good art, so this is probably them losing commission money.

Nah, they're indie- All the con will lose will be their table cost. Cancelling like this hits the indie artist harder than the con, which is why it's a bold and meaningful move.

Also it is pretty telling that none of the people supporting Mignogna on twitter are actually involved in the con scene. That there secret was pretty fuckin' open.

Edit: the con won't even lose their table cost, the tables are non refundable

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 4, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

There was an interesting development in the lawsuit: apparently Vic's lawyer suddenly wanted all the proceedings to be confidential after how many months of leaking details to Blackface Lawyer.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What I don't understand is who gives a flying anything about an american voice actor for anime anyway? They don't ever have interesting things to say.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

What I don't understand is who gives a flying anything about an american voice actor for anime anyway? They don't ever have interesting things to say.

Well, Vic came up with Fullmetal Brotherhood when it got super big on Toonami and while you might laugh people were really into that show. Convention halls were packed to see him, which is part of where the problem started as Vic availed himself to creep on his preferred segment of the fanbase because they were so happy to meet the guy they thought was Ed Elric. And he voices probably one of the most popular side-characters in DBZ with Broly and when the movie did really well in the States some people decided it was time to finally blow the whistle on what was a well-known secret in the industry for ages.

ComicsGate decided to champion him (mainly via their 'legal counsel' Nick "Blackface Lawyer" Rekieta") because it's just another example of people trying to keep the poor oppressed straight white male down.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yep it's basically a mix of the standard White Man Defense SquadTM and people who think they're protecting Edward Elric instead of a creep who grabs teenager's arses

Dawgstar posted:

Well, Vic came up with Fullmetal Brotherhood when it got super big on Toonami and while you might laugh people were really into that show.
It's because it's genuinely an extremely good show, is the thing. That's because of Hiromu Arakawa, not Mignogna- but he positions himself in reach a lot more than she wishes to.

VVV ah yeah, read you wrong there. It's a sucky situation for them and I'm seeing other artists kinda stuck because they wanna pull out now but they're gonna lose their table money.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kojiro posted:

Nah, they're indie- All the con will lose will be their table cost. Cancelling like this hits the indie artist harder than the con, which is why it's a bold and meaningful move.

Also it is pretty telling that none of the people supporting Mignogna on twitter are actually involved in the con scene. That there secret was pretty fuckin' open.

Edit: the con won't even lose their table cost, the tables are non refundable

I meant the artist pulling out of the con will be losing commission money.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kojiro posted:

Yep it's basically a mix of the standard White Man Defense SquadTM and people who think they're protecting Edward Elric instead of a creep who grabs teenager's arses

You say this like gators don't also approve of grabbing teenagers asses

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Kojiro posted:

It's because it's genuinely an extremely good show, is the thing. That's because of Hiromu Arakawa, not Mignogna- but he positions himself in reach a lot more than she wishes to.

Yeah I get why idiots defend him I just wondered why cons thought it was Important(tm) to invite him to cons still. To your point providing a voice several months/years after something is created is probably loosely tied to the character at best. I guess it takes all types.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

site posted:

You say this like gators don't also approve of grabbing teenagers asses

The gators are the White Man Defenders. The second set are mostly teen girls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SoftNum posted:

Yeah I get why idiots defend him I just wondered why cons thought it was Important(tm) to invite him to cons still. To your point providing a voice several months/years after something is created is probably loosely tied to the character at best. I guess it takes all types.

The VAs who portrayed the girls from Evangelion still get marriage proposals in the mail every once in a while.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Puppy Time posted:

Ah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah. Which is why Vic gets so many earnest 'He did NOTHING WRONG and would NEVER DO THAT!' defenses is because sometimes they're really coming from fourteen-year-olds who don't know any better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
fandom culture in 2019 is on some next level poo poo cuz thinking about when i was 14 i wouldnt even have given a poo poo who voiced a character, let alone making it a part of my identity to stan them, esp in the face of numerous sexual assault allegations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

fandom culture in 2019 is on some next level poo poo cuz thinking about when i was 14 i wouldnt even have given a poo poo who voiced a character, let alone making it a part of my identity to stan them, esp in the face of numerous sexual assault allegations

I don't know about Vic specifically, but social media stuff makes it easier to seem like you have a personal relationship with a celebrity. But people have been doing that forever.