Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goon Danton posted:

Just a reminder, the Secret has a bit where the author blames the Jews for the Holocaust because they weren't phrasing their prayers correctly and the universe got confused.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the gently caress

Whoops sorry, it was in an interview about the book.

[Secret author Rhonda] Byrne writes: "Imperfect thoughts are the cause of all humanity's ills, including disease, poverty, and unhappiness." When asked by one interviewer if this meant that the Jewish people were responsible for the Holocaust, she replied that "many factors" cause millions to die in tragedies such as the Holocaust, but "if their dominant thoughts and feelings were in alignment with the energy of fear, separation, powerlessness and having no control over outside circumstances, then that is what they attracted".'

As it turns out, "your thoughts are the cause of everything that happens to you" has some problematic implications in a world where horrible poo poo keeps happening to people.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Jun 3, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It is 100% always going to shake out in any Just World belief system and frankly it is a fun call out to use.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The Secret has been around forever. I remember a weird teacher showing my whole class a video about that garbage when I was in High School.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Was it What the Bleep Do We Know?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Goon Danton posted:

Was it What the Bleep Do We Know?

that movie gets my blood pressure going. bougie crystal poo poo is an opium of the masses. Marianne is cool because she says "self help isn't about helping yourself it's about helping other people"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

im not sure if that's it, i legit don't know what point that guy is trying to make.

British people sound like Trump when they criticize him. Not liking the United States is antisemitic. Trump is a racist, stupid bigot. Labor hasn't called him out on it.

is the dude trying to make the point that he's an antisemite for criticizing Trump and labor is good and just for ignoring his racism?

my peanut brain is too simple for this

there are people who think that jews run the world so that means criticism of capitalism is anti-Semitic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Secret was actually a movie before it was a book. It's almost impressive how they've managed to keep the grift going for so long

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Secret was actually a movie before it was a book. It's almost impressive how they've managed to keep the grift going for so long

it got the oprah stamp of approval, it will last forever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the woke joker, but for paperwork

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That's closer to Bane in DKR tbh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

get that OUT of my face posted:

*laughs in Jim Sterling*

sports games have sucked for over a decade regardless. i don't want to play a loving sports simulator, i want to dunk from half-court and check guys through the glass

en fuego

from downtown

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and in the end batman would lock her up and restore normalcy and all the women would go back to the kitchen? not sure this guy understands the batman story

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's closer to Bane in DKR tbh

Remember when they were playing the sad music when the billionaires were being hunted down? I never laughed so hard at a movie in my life.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zeroisanumber posted:

Remember when they were playing the sad music when the billionaires were being hunted down? I never laughed so hard at a movie in my life.

the Nolan movies are some of the best ironic comedies ever made, you go from Schumacher Batman and just go way, way dumber

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Remember when the Heroic Cops fought Bane's followers on the streets of the NYC financial district literally months after Occupy Wall Street lol.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

Just a reminder, the Secret has a bit where the author blames the Jews for the Holocaust because they weren't phrasing their prayers correctly and the universe got confused.
there are definitely ultra-orthodox rabbis that believe the same thing. not that it makes this belief any less wrong and hosed-up, mind you

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

jesus wept, 200k likes. are twitter's servers on the cloud, because i want someone to drive an oil tanker into them

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Women rise up

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Fake geek girl, Flashpoint already had a lady joker.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Tulip posted:

the Nolan movies are some of the best ironic comedies ever made, you go from Schumacher Batman and just go way, way dumber

Nolan's Batman: Neoconservative Straussian nightmare where any real threat of change is chaotic and to be avoided at all costs, even by lying and spying.

Inception: how do we know if our dreams are dreams and that reality isn't a dream?

Interstellar: libtards are going to turn us away from our honored tradition of settler colonialism. we can conquer the stars because love transcends time & space.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wanna see a magic trick? I'm gonna make the wage gap disappear

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wanna see a magic trick? I'm gonna make the wage gap disappear

It's easy.

You. Guillotine. The Batman

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Not to get all Dickeye itt, but did no one tell this dumbass that a) female Jokers already exist in different interpretions, and b) Batman rogue's gallery already has Posion Ivy, a female villain that constantly challenges patriarchy via eco-terrorism?

Sorry, the :goonsay: in me just jumped out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i probably know the answer to this question because online wokes are online cops, but does this checkmark actually think that genderswapping the Joker will instantly absolve all of the criticisms people have of that character?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nolan's Batman: Neoconservative Straussian nightmare where any real threat of change is chaotic and to be avoided at all costs, even by lying and spying.

Inception: how do we know if our dreams are dreams and that reality isn't a dream?

Interstellar: libtards are going to turn us away from our honored tradition of settler colonialism. we can conquer the stars because love transcends time & space.

I should have said "Nolan Batman movies " cuz Inception is so thoroughly "poo poo version of Paprika" that's not funny just irritating

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Remember when the Heroic Cops fought Bane's followers on the streets of the NYC financial district literally months after Occupy Wall Street lol.

Cops all heroically swarming out of tunnels from the underworld like the Woke Legions of Hell

Bane just planning on nuking the city once he got bored because the writers couldn't think of a way to make his actual plan not sympathetic

Gordon's undoing explicitly stemming from feeling bad about the police state he built and leaving a paper trail about it

Just completely wasting the guy who played Teal'c as random mook #4

God those movies were incredible

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that scene from one of Neil Breen's movies where he shoves all of the laptops off of his desk

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
HIRE *CLAP* MORE *CLAP* FEMALE *CLAP* PSYCHOPATHIC KILLERS

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I think that joker tweet is actually just a dumb joke and isn't actually a call to have a woke woman joker.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Giggy posted:

I think that joker tweet is actually just a dumb joke and isn't actually a call to have a woke woman joker.

She has a checkmark.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Giggy posted:

you're naive. it's either 100% serious or a 100% sincere belief that was phrased in a way to get knowing laughs

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Jun 3, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Cops all heroically swarming out of tunnels from the underworld like the Woke Legions of Hell

Bane just planning on nuking the city once he got bored because the writers couldn't think of a way to make his actual plan not sympathetic

Gordon's undoing explicitly stemming from feeling bad about the police state he built and leaving a paper trail about it

Just completely wasting the guy who played Teal'c as random mook #4

God those movies were incredible

on some level they made bane's plan to nuke the city because they couldn't have a kickass revolution that targeted only the rich without some reason its secretly evil, otherwise batman is just straight up the villain to most of the audience

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Peanut President posted:

probably that plus older lefties just give up as they grow older

going completely off-grid survivalist isn't giving up

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

on some level they made bane's plan to nuke the city because they couldn't have a kickass revolution that targeted only the rich without some reason its secretly evil, otherwise batman is just straight up the villain to most of the audience

Remember how in iRobot, the wicked plan by the evil AI was that it would manage our affairs for us and save us from ourselves? Sorry dude, I'm with the robots on this one. I can't believe that people who are stupid enough to try and take on robots with sticks and bricks deserve self-determination.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
She becomes a sort of folk hero for the women of Gotham. She releases Bernie Sanders real taxes. She spray paints pictures of black women snapping their fingers and agreeing with her all around the city. She blackmails the DSA. It's terrifying and wonderful.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

swampland posted:

She becomes a sort of folk hero for the women of Gotham. She releases Bernie Sanders real taxes. She spray paints pictures of black women snapping their fingers and agreeing with her all around the city. She blackmails the DSA. It's terrifying and wonderful.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember how in iRobot, the wicked plan by the evil AI was that it would manage our affairs for us and save us from ourselves? Sorry dude, I'm with the robots on this one. I can't believe that people who are stupid enough to try and take on robots with sticks and bricks deserve self-determination.

That's the resolution in the book. they all realize humans are morons and just let the machines run everything.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnoHito posted:

That's the resolution in the book. they all realize humans are morons and just let the machines run everything.

Yeah but in the book it happens secretly and without the masses knowing, because they can't tell the difference between a world run well by human apparatchiks and the woorld as it is run by AI.

In the movie people are fighting robots in the streets and getting owned, until the Benedict Arnoldbot betrays his own kind out of respect for humanity or someshit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Relevant Tangent posted:

going completely off-grid survivalist isn't giving up

Kinda is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

it's not if you bring a bunch of people with you! like a commune kinda thing.