Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

tildes posted:

I think the ideal FPS roguelike for me RN would be Dusk with procgen levels and maybe some more movement options. There isn’t a doomRL equivalent for it is there? Have not seen any.

There is a random level generator for Doom called Oblige http://oblige.sourceforge.net/. It doesn't generate maps while you're playing through the game, so you'd have to build a new one each time you wanted to play something different. From what I can tell it's gotten to the point where it isn't using pre-made rooms anymore, which is drat impressive. Definitely going to mess around with this when I get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BaconCopter posted:

Have you ever played STRAFE? Most of my post is literally how the game works with my opinions attached to it.

I'll agree on needing to calm down on the rage posts though, haven't really been thinking right since my allergies started brutalizing me this season.

Understandable.

I've actually played quite a bit of STRAFE, particularly post-Millenium edition patch. I'd describe it as a flawed but ultimately enjoyable game if you go into it with the mindset of playing a relatively simple FPS Roguelite and not a deep well of Roguelike content in FPS form...since, honestly, I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS Roguelite that offered a huge wealth of content.

I didn't have any issues with the graphics (I actually feel like DUSK is a significantly uglier game even though I still love DUSK), the bunny hopping mechanic, or the procgen--particularly since there aren't very many FPS Roguelites that have a tremendous level variety. You've got room-to-room generators like Ziggurat, Immortal Redneck, and Tower of Guns, and open-level generation (like STRAFE) including City of Brass, Eldritch, and...maybe Everspace?

Actually, the level variety and structure of STRAFE really closely mirrors City of Brass, now that I think of it, and in both cases you're more meant to fly through the levels very fast.

If somebody said, "man I need a Roguelite, stat!" I probably wouldn't recommend STRAFE to them because there's a deep shelf of better games. It's like a solid 5/10. Average. Fun, but could be better. I'd tell them to play Immortal Redneck and City of Brass first, and hopefully GUNHEAD when it comes out. Not sure how I feel about Mothergunship.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A note for Wizard of Legend, the game opens up quite a bit when you start spending chaos gems on permanently unlocking relics. Until you start doing that, it seems that only the basic-tier relics drop, but after buying up the basic relics at the start then the game starts dropping a much wider variety of advanced relics.

I'd been spending all my gems on arcana and cloaks (since you can only bring one relic into the dungeon, and I'd already gotten one I was comfortable using) and was wondering why relic variety felt so terrible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting for the arcana vendor to sell the earth fists basic arcana. Seems like they're not selling any basic arcana any more though, not after I bought the water/fire ones. :argh:

EDIT: of course the next time I visit town I get both earth and lightning basic arcanas. Also, my biggest peeve with the game is when you use a wide-area arcana and immediately get hit before the spell can do anything (like, it doesn't even show a single frame of the animation). Spell goes on cooldown, you take a bunch of damage wondering why it didn't go off. I keep expecting the game to have invincibility frames where most games put them, like on dashes and using your supers, and it keeps biting me in the butt when they aren't there.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 30, 2019

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got Void Bastards today, I'm gonna stream it tonight, right after the logical pairing of Mothergunship, if anyone wants to see it in action: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

I'm getting back into nethack today trying to get a rogue to castle at least and dang this fella is fragile. I remember you used to be able to E a thousand times and be pretty safe as you stabbed away but now you're allowed one E per tile and it instantly destroys if you do anything but sit still and think about what you've done. Not sure how rogues are supposed to get those backstabs in.

My daggers are so losable! I was in sokoban and somethign spawned over a pit after I had closed off the exit with a boulder so I threw daggers over the boulder to kill it, believing with my whole heart that when they hit the pit they will end up in the zone below like everything else but my stack of 10 blessed daggers just deleted when that b oulder rolled over them.

I know some classes want a big strong pet and others don't care. I starve to death enough that maybe a rogue should just hoof it to sokoban and say goodbye to kitty.

I never used E except to keep my stash boxes safe. I've also never ascended a rogue, but I have with an archeologist several times, and they also have a pretty rough early game. You pretty much have to get lucky with a magic lamp in mines or a good early sac artifact.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Some very good points here, I'd say that a lot of my disappointment and unnecessary anger came from expecting far too much from it. As you said, the level design encourages you to blitz through each level, where my RL experience and playstyle leads me to explore every nook and conserve all of my resources.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I didnt realize you could only equip 1 rune in WoL after like 2 runs of wonder what was happening with the runes I picked I was kinda sad they give you 3 categories for runes but not 3 equip slots. (its mainly because the ui made it seem like you could wear 3 by hiding the other categories)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
MidBoss also has some anniversary DLC in the works to add monster champs, a randomizer, some art/animation overhauling, more/neater seasonal events, etc---all solid gains:

https://kitsunegames.com/post/news/2019/05/25/midboss-second-birthday/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
City of Brass is free on Epic . Is it worth a download ? The movement looked cool

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Finally picked up ARNF. Definitely enjoying it so far, even if I'm still just on my first run. The controls mostly feel right, even if it's annoying that charging your laser doesn't draw power-ups in from nearly the same range as a proper Metroid game.

Edit: Shooting every individual block in a room to find the one with a secret in it isn't the most fun, though.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 30, 2019

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

goferchan posted:

City of Brass is free on Epic . Is it worth a download ? The movement looked cool

if you have epic already than hell yeah, if you don’t? Don’t know if it’s worth downloading Epic. I haven’t been following the story of Epic all that closely. I’m aiming to be a late adopter of Epic, if that.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Finally picked up ARNF. Definitely enjoying it so far, even if I'm still just on my first run. The controls mostly feel right, even if it's annoying that charging your laser doesn't draw power-ups in from nearly the same range as a proper Metroid game.

Edit: Shooting every individual block in a room to find the one with a secret in it isn't the most fun, though.
For the most part, the tiles containing the secret will look different compared to the tiles around it. If you look closely, you can usually guess fairly quickly where the secret is hiding.

Though there are a few rooms where this isn't the case, and sometimes secrets will be further out of the map tile than you might expect.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

goferchan posted:

I played the poo poo out of it and just recently 100%'ed it. I really like it, but I'm still not sure if I'd indulge in EGS...I'd probably just pick it up on Steam or somewhere else during the next sale. That being said, if EGS doesn't bug you, it's a totally great FPS Roguelite for free, and there have been multiple updates that have added a bunch of new content (new classes, a potions system, additional weapons and items, etc.)

The basic premise is that you run through 12 procedurally generated open levels (as opposed to room-by-room) and every third map you must find and defeat a boss before exiting. The 13th "level" is the final boss. You are timed, but running out of time is not an instant-kill (although it can be very challenging to avoid, kind of like Spelunky's ghost). The compass is really useful and you'll probably never get lost or find yourself backtracking, whether it's locating the boss or the exit.

One of the things that radically changed my experience was discovering that you don't want to spend a lot of time clearing each level and picking up every piece of treasure. Kill enemies and pick up gold out of convenience--you'll likely amass a healthy fortune without searching every nook and cranny.

Also, the default game is pretty easy, but there are unlockable difficulty maluses (and bonuses) that can really tailor the challenge. There's one achievement that involves beating the game from Level 1, all maluses activated, and no bonuses, and it can be a really frantic and tense experience that makes the default game feel like a cakewalk.

There currently aren't a huge number of decent FPS Roguelites, but I'd definitely consider City of Brass one of the better ones. I liked it as much as Immortal Redneck and Everspace, personally.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 31, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes I wish Brass would feel just a tad bit faster but I completely agree with it like being better than Redneck. Its a good game and the skeleton is cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks Cream-of-Plenty I'll check it out. I already have some games on Epic and don't really feel strongly either way about their controversies; I basically meant "is it worth the hard drive space" and it definitely sounds like it is! Looking forward to it and I appreciate the rec

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Had a good run in Wizard of Legend; I made it to the third mage lord before dying. It was the wind guy and I'm definitely less practiced against him. Still had him about 2/3rds down before I died. My success was chiefly on the basis of my basic attack. I took the water arcana that fires a fast burst of three waves, and then took the combo glove as my starting relic, which meant I could use it twice before it went on cooldown. It pierces and has decent spread; with the double attack it could lock down a good-sized group of enemies on its own. Getting Shiva's Water Bottle (+water damage) and the enhanced basic arcana (makes the final shot about twice as wide) definitely helped. Honestly my other arcana weren't very important in comparison.

Though what did help was getting both the Greased Boots (+1 dash charge, dashes recover faster) and the Ring of Plenty (+1 charge for all arcana). That let me use up to three charged dashes in succession. I'm using the water-shield dash; it's not clear to me to what extent it actually protects you, but the water orb does a good bit of damage and is easier to use than most of the other dashes. Speaking of dashes, does the basic wind dash do anything special? All the other dashes seem to have some kind of special effect, but not wind.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wind Sovereign Shuu can be tougher than Master Sura, I'm curious to see if the upcoming lightning twins will be at Shuu tier difficulty or if they'll be a bit more in between.

Zeal and Freiya are a cinch, but Atlas and Shuu are pretty tough to no-hit especially if you get unlucky on pillar wall placement with Atlas.

The Sky Palace is also probably the toughest dungeon, with extra-fast enemies that evade your attacks (making it extra dangerous to try to stunlock them).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of dashes, does the basic wind dash do anything special? All the other dashes seem to have some kind of special effect, but not wind.

Only when upgraded.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Just bought TangledDeep on switch. Anything I should know about? Beat the first "boss" so far and have an OK understanding of the mechanics. (kinda a bit iffy on how item dreams work)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Guavatin posted:

Just bought TangledDeep on switch. Anything I should know about? Beat the first "boss" so far and have an OK understanding of the mechanics. (kinda a bit iffy on how item dreams work)

TangleDeep talk is welcome here, but for your convenience there’s also a thread over here, just in case you don’t have a forums search available.

I personally don’t know a lot about TangleDeep, but quite a few thread regulars do.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Guavatin posted:

One thing that's not really obvious but is really important is that even melee classes should carry and use a ranged weapon before closing. It helps cut down on the attrition a lot.

Unless something really drastic happened to change that, I haven't actually revisited it since before the expansion.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I've been playing a lot of roguelikes over the last few months, in breathless anticipation of this day.

You may have heard by now, but my venerable tradition of Roguemas is no more. It’s not going away, though… it’s moving to the summer and becoming a full month-long series! Welcome to our first year of Summer @ Camp, a warm-weather look at the roguelikes that make us sweat. Originally this was going to be more of a junk drawer, clearing-the-backlog series but recently I’ve picked up some very new, very exciting titles in the genre. That means there’s sure to be something that roguelike fans of all stripes will be interested in!

To help ease into this transition, this won’t be a full 30-day series. Instead, I’m committing to 20 reviews for the month of June, one on every weekday and resting up to full health on weekends. Reviews will be posted on the front page of my website every weekday at 8am PDT, and then added to the thread here and posted on Steam and elsewhere soon after. First review goes up tomorrow!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Looking forward to it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've been playing a lot of roguelikes over the last few months, in breathless anticipation of this day.

Totally > with this

(down)

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I beat Void Bastards earlier today, and it's easily my favorite "rogueish" FPS experience so far. The gameplay echoes a fasted paced proc-gen System Shock 2/Prey '16 with a heavy emphasis on collecting everything you possibly can and efficiently avoiding/murdering everything. The map has a FTL feel, but with a solid amount of information on what the node you're flying to will do. Most of these choices are different kinds of ships you're probably going to want to plunder for items, ammo, fuel, food, whatever; some nodes are simply resources and some are space whales which can eat your ship, to name a few.

Like in FTL you need fuel to continue your journey, you also need food to stay alive. You're limited on time in each ship based upon how much oxygen you can carry, so speed is always key. Items and resources found can be crafted into new weapons (all of which are good and have uses until the end of the game), passive upgrades, and plot advancing devices. As you get further into the story, or choose to dive deeper on the map, you're going to need these upgrades to deal with the new stronger variants of enemies and increased environmental risks that become present. Dying throws you into a new goons body with freshly randomized traits back at the beginning of the map with most of your inventory gone besides crafted upgrades.

The graphics are something stellar to behold, a kooky sci-fi comic book with hints of Venture Brothers styling. There aren't very many options to fiddle with, the settings are all straight forward. The dialogue is generally hilarious with the cockney space thugs hurling ridiculous insults your way whenever possible, with my personal favorite being the Juvees "HEY TWATFACE" once once sees you.

It took me 14 hours of playtime to craft every upgrade and beat a Normal campaign. I could barely put the game down! The only let down was the lack of a final boss or level, once you craft the final part you're one cutscene away from the credits. I'm really hoping the developers release some content in the future, paid or not. 8.5/10.

Now for a Hard run :getin:

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 3, 2019

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I'm starting off with a recent Early Access roguelike I got from the devs that already has a shocking amount of depth to its builds. Which is good, because they're really the entire point of the game.

1. Nova Drift

You’ve played Asteroids, right? ‘course you have, even if you don’t remember doing it. The combination of drifting through space with thrusters and a gun against waves of foes (or rocks) is timeless for a reason, because it provides that classic escalating challenge in a way you can never fully predict. Nova Drift understands this and ups the ante; in fact, it goes all in on its roguelike elements and cashes out big with them. Layering an incredibly deep and complex upgrade system over this classic gameplay and polishing it to a mirror shine is a recipe for chaos, and possibly the most fun I’ve ever had with this style of game.

I hope you didn’t come looking for a story, because this is arcade score attack action all the way. You’ve got a tiny ship, drifting along in a gorgeous starscape, and stuff is gonna try to smash it. Blowing up asteroids or enemies with your pea-shooter releases XP stars that level you up, and at every level you pick an upgrade. Your first three are special and define your ship, allowing you to pick your gun, your hull, and your shield from a random selection of three (out of a lot). After that, you get seven upgrades to pick from every time you level, and they can enhance any of those elements or add new ones, such as drones or new thruster controls or even interact with the upgrade system itself. Picking solid upgrades for your build is key to keeping up with the waves of foes that will be assaulting your little craft.

I need you to understand how wild this upgrade system gets, because it’s 100% what elevates Nova Drift beyond a simple Asteroids clone. We’ll take weapon upgrades as an example, because those have effects that are easy to understand. Early on, you’ll have upgrades available that increase your rate of fire, or add extra projectiles to your attack, or make your shots explode. But each of those has three additional upgrades attached to them which you can take after taking the first, which build on the theme. The exploding shots one can be further enhanced to make the blast radius bigger or then make enemies explode in turn, for example. These mini-trees are arranged like a diamond, so after taking the first you can take either of the next two (or both) to unlock the last, which is usually a dramatic upgrade.

These mini-trees exist for every skill except the basic ones that interact directly with game systems. That means your shield upgrades, hull upgrades, thruster upgrades, everything has trees you can go deeper into to enhance or change your capabilities. And you can add entirely new systems like the drones I mentioned, which let you generate turrets or tiny fighters or mines which then have multiple mini-trees of their own. And, AND, all of these upgrades have different effects depending on the initial choices you made regarding your ship! Imagine blast radius upgrades with cluster missiles, or spread-fire effects with a railgun, or shield recharge boosts on exploding shields, and you start to see the kinds of insane builds you can get going here. It’s all the fun of breaking something like The Binding of Isaac but in a much purer, more deterministic system.

Beyond the XP and upgrades you can also score rerolls to get a new set of upgrades to choose from, as well as boost items that give you a temporary supercharge to your systems. You also have the option of switching your base gun, hull, and shield at upgrade time from another random set of three, in case your new upgrades don’t gel with your initial decisions. Performing well in a run unlocks new upgrades and options that get thrown into the pool on later runs, as well as new difficulty modifiers that let you start on later waves or bump up enemy density. Even just unlocking everything will last you plenty of hours, to say nothing of the fun you can extract from mashing them into wild new builds and shooting for ever-higher scores.

I will briefly assure you that the enemies you fight are varied and interesting, that the presentation is excellent, and that the sharp, stylized graphics and chill soundtrack make for a wonderful experience. But really it’s the builds I keep coming back for, the ability to make screen-filling cluster bombs or homing incendiary railgun salvos or shield auras that burn like the surface of the sun. Nova Drift is designed to let you get as crazy with your builds as possible, and reap the rewards of the chaos you unleash. And it’s still in Early Access if you can believe that, still adding new upgrades and tweaks and sculpting this great experience into a singular one. Really if you’re down for more Asteroids, for better Asteroids, or really just wanted to ruin a game of Asteroids with infinite splintering lasers, this is the title for you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Can confirm Nova Drift is loving awesome. You can make some absurd builds in it. There's a mod you unlock later on that burns everything around you at the cost of setting you permanently on fire, but don't worry, because there's a different mod that slowly heals you based on how many things on screen are currently on fire. And another one that gives off a huge explosion every time your permanent on-fire-ness inevitably breaks your shield.

My only criticism is sort of a weird one: I feel like it gives you too much leeway in terms of choices. Every level you get seven random options to pick from, which is a lot, and you can reroll them repeatedly (it's normal to have like 15 rerolls in the bank by midgame). There's even a one-time choice to reroll everything, letting you make all your picks over again. That means you almost never get forced to pick something you weren't planning on, which is a shame; I think it'd lead to weirder, cooler builds if I was occasionally forced to grab something "suboptimal" and deal with it.

megane fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 3, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh man, Nova Drift. I loved this game for about a week and then realized that it was correlated with increased migraines for me, so I stopped playing. Which is sad because it's an awesome game.

A few notes:

1. It bears emphasizing that while you get a random selection of upgrades with each level, you really have quite a lot of control over the build you get. If you don't like the initial weapon/hull/shield options you're presented with, you can decline them to stick with the default loadout; while it's not very good, it's more than adequate to last you until a levelup generates the specific thing you wanted. Especially since after a few hours of play, you should start each run with a half-dozen rerolls.

2. It also bears emphasizing that while all of the upgrades stack, the game is perfectly willing to let you make bad decisions with your upgrades. For example, combining guidance with the railgun isn't very effective, as railgun shots move far too quickly for the guidance to accomplish much. Taking the charged shot with a rapidfire weapon is similarly self-defeating; the charging means your fire rate is greatly reduced and your per-shot damage isn't nearly improved enough to make up the difference. IMO this is important; if every build were viable then that would mean that your decisions don't matter all that much.

3. The game devs are clearly aware of some of the more outre build options the game supports. There are upgrade paths for using your shield as your primary weapon. There's an upgrade that (in exchange for some hefty bonuses) completely removes any ability for you to attack aside from by bodily ramming your foes. I have faith that all of the upgrades are useful in some context, and figuring out what that context is is sure to be interesting both from a theorycrafting and from a gameplay perspective.

4. At least once play the game with cluster grenades, charged shot, and all of the +projectile upgrades. Not because it's particularly effective, but because every time you fire, at least half the screen gets filled with explosions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got to echo every good thing said about void bastards, I’m 7 hours in and this game is just a joy in every way

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

megane posted:

My only criticism is sort of a weird one: I feel like it gives you too much leeway in terms of choices. Every level you get seven random options to pick from, which is a lot, and you can reroll them repeatedly (it's normal to have like 15 rerolls in the bank by midgame). There's even a one-time choice to reroll everything, letting you make all your picks over again. That means you almost never get forced to pick something you weren't planning on, which is a shame; I think it'd lead to weirder, cooler builds if I was occasionally forced to grab something "suboptimal" and deal with it.

Yeah it's intentionally deterministic like that. However, a new game mode is coming to address that criticism and encourage more varied runs: Wild Metamorphosis.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
more like the options you have to select from shouldn't even be random

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

if every build were viable then that would mean that your decisions don't matter all that much.

like, i appreciate that varied options is ultimately more important than every combination being workable, but this statement is the exact opposite of how game balance works

the more options are viable, the more your choices are guided by personal preference rather than by optimization needs, and that's a good thing

e: random build options of course just throw out both concerns and deny player agency over their own in-game agent

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 3, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh yeah, and Rebirth (the re-pick all choices thing) is super annoying for an interface reason; you probably have dozens of points to spend when you do it, and for every individual point you have to press Y, pick something, get booted back out into the unpaused game, repeat. So you get a solid ~15 seconds of gameplay segmented into weird awkward slices of a quarter second each, in a twitchy action game. It's annoying as heck. If you have multiple points to spend it should just leave you in the upgrade screen.

e: Re: "deny player agency over their in-game agent," I prefer to sometimes have random stuff happen that I don't necessarily want and yet have to deal with. Wait, what thread is this again?

megane fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 3, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BaconCopter posted:

I beat Void Bastards earlier today,
[...]
It took me 14 hours of playtime to craft every upgrade and beat a Normal campaign. I could barely put the game down! The only let down was the lack of a final boss or level, once you craft the final part you're one cutscene away from the credits. I'm really hoping the developers release some content in the future, paid or not. 8.5/10.

Now for a Hard run :getin:
Pretty much exactly that; I put 14 hours into it in two binge sessions over a few days, and I feel I've seen everything the game can throw at me. Even more than that, things where getting kinda dull & repetitive by the end. I know RLs are all about replaying content in order to master it, but it can be taken to a fault. 14 hours for your first ascension is also way too short of playtime for a RL, imo.

I'm on a Hard Ironman run now, but honestly at this point its basically cheevo popping and masochism modes, what a shame. Direct comparison to another RL-inspired space game, Everspace, which had 58 hours before I put it down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I watched a preview of Void Bastards and I really liked what I saw. I’ve been wanting a System Shock 2 roguelike since I’ve known of the genre. I also kinda felt that by seeing the preview I’d seen the game. Looks good but like with so many FPS roguelikes, I’m looking forward to what it’s impact is on the next iteration of FPS rogulikes I’m going to be too busy, cheap, or lazy to actually play.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah it's intentionally deterministic like that. However, a new game mode is coming to address that criticism and encourage more varied runs: Wild Metamorphosis.

This mode will totally get me playing Nova Drift again, the main game got pretty stale once I had unlocked everything.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

+1 that Nova Drift is an amazing game. It's become my go to game when I want to kill a bit of time with something fast paced.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Serephina posted:

Pretty much exactly that; I put 14 hours into it in two binge sessions over a few days, and I feel I've seen everything the game can throw at me. Even more than that, things where getting kinda dull & repetitive by the end. I know RLs are all about replaying content in order to master it, but it can be taken to a fault. 14 hours for your first ascension is also way too short of playtime for a RL, imo.

I'm on a Hard Ironman run now, but honestly at this point its basically cheevo popping and masochism modes, what a shame. Direct comparison to another RL-inspired space game, Everspace, which had 58 hours before I put it down.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that. I was only enjoying the end because a fully upgraded zapper into the fully upgraded riveter is freaking ridiculous with Dead Eye and whatever gives you quick reload. Annihilating everything short of a depth 5 Boss Screw is pretty enjoyable.

The point on mastery, hmm. By the time I was easily staying in depth 5 I definitely felt like I had pretty much mastered Normal difficulty. I haven't booted up the game since (A Robot Named Fight's update is pretty swell) and was hoping it would introduce new variables... guess not. 14 hours is pretty drat short, but I deeply enjoyed nearly all of the game, which is in stark contrast to all of the other Rogueish FPS that I've tried. The gameplay is spot on and fluid, there aren't any gotcha scrolls, the metaprogression doesn't suck the soul out of the game, and the graphics are gorgeous. Even if I never picked it up again, I'd be happy with the discounted price I paid.

I still haven't played Mothergunship or City of Brass, my opinion might change after that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is sword of the stars any good? I've had it on steam for a while and never played.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

I still haven't played Mothergunship or City of Brass, my opinion might change after that.

I do like City of Brass pretty well, but I really wish I didn't have to manually collect every piece of gold and smash every pot I come across. It's a bit sad that some of my most coveted items are the gold magnet and a whip that smashes pots in an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a way to create ammo in Void Bastards? I seem to never have ammo in the game since I don't find it very often on the ground.