Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Squidster posted:

There's a couple hints of foreshadowing allll the way back in the season 2 intro, with allusions to the final doomed charge, Hange losing her eye, and Armin looking very Colossal covered in blood and flame.

Actually, that's the second OP of season 1, meaning that's from 2013. The manga wasn't even this far when that was made. Nowhere near, in fact, as the Uprising arc hadn't even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
How did they know??? :psyduck:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wasnt there a scene last season that implied Bert and Reiner got in a fight with Zeke and lost? Maybe Zeke just recently won their loyalty by beating them.

The fight was that Reiner wanted to rescue Annie ASAP while Zeke was content to wait to lure Eren out first. They were always working together as far as I know. I don't think Bert was part of that fight either.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

How did they know??? :psyduck:
The anime has consistently been teasing things for manga readers. I don't read a lot of manga or watch a lot of anime but this is literally the only show I know of that teases its "still in production original material" audience despite the actual show's material being fully known to said audience. Not just in the intro either, there have been scenes in the show that teased/answered things manga readers were still waiting on answers for.

It's something GoT barely did during its run (not including anything after the point when it actually hit the "no new material" line) and it's a shame they didn't try harder with that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 4, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can you give some examples of mysteries the anime solved first? Haven't read it, sounds super interesting

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alan_Shore posted:

Can you give some examples of mysteries the anime solved first? Haven't read it, sounds super interesting

By this point in the manga, the flashback of Ymir's backstory that you saw in Season 2 had not yet happened. That was moved wayyyy back.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The show has never answered or teased anything that hadn't already been published in the manga at the time of airing.

What it has done is show or tease things ahead of the manga at a similar point in the storyline - as mentioned, there's Ymir's backstory (it's part of the contents of the letter they just got from Reiner), and I'd also suggest people give the Season 2 ED a rewatch after the next episode.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The show has never answered or teased anything that hadn't already been published in the manga at the time of airing.

What it has done is show or tease things ahead of the manga at a similar point in the storyline - as mentioned, there's Ymir's backstory (it's part of the contents of the letter they just got from Reiner), and I'd also suggest people give the Season 2 ED a rewatch after the next episode.

I hope that means a lot of my ideas are thrown out or confirmed. I've had a lot of variants bouncing around in my head, but they all center around a god-king (based on titan powers) and a split that's by definition both religious and political.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Squidster posted:

There's a couple hints of foreshadowing allll the way back in the season 2 intro, with allusions to the final doomed charge, Hange losing her eye, and Armin looking very Colossal covered in blood and flame.

You are seeing foreshadowing that isn't there. The smoke signals are shown because smoke signals were used extensively in that season. Hange's glasses are broken on the wrong side, she lost her left eye in the current arc. I forget if she even had her glasses broken that season, might just be some artistic license taken for the OP. You can't take it all literally, remember the OP that had the Beast Titan leading a charge with whales and dinosaurs and other giant creatures?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

P-Mack posted:

Is Sasha confirmed dead? I would have used it on her.

If you turned Sasha into a titan the entire nation within the walls would starve

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you turned Sasha into a titan the entire nation within the walls would starve

Nah.

They wouldn't live long enough for that.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

You can't take it all literally, remember the OP that had the Beast Titan leading a charge with whales and dinosaurs and other giant creatures?

Don’t take that away from me; I know if I keep believing, it will eventually happen.

By the way, it’s been revealed, so I guess it’s ok to post here:
The title of the next episode is “The Basement.” I hope everybody’s ready to :getin:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Hi thread, you don't know me but if you could all just force time-travel me to next week so I don't have to wait to see what happens that'd be amazing. Thanks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Queering Wheel posted:

My partner thought that both of them might just die during their bickering.

This was definitely my favorite episode of the season so far. I loved how there was very little music, it made all the emotions hit harder.

i'm really impressed with what studio wit did with the material; when the manga did this part everyone loving despised it. People thought it was a complete rear end-pull to avoid killing Armin and it just felt like the manga was trying to draw things out as long as possible.

Like people were legit melting down and declaring that they were 100% DONE with the series after that chapter.

Also, I'm really sad they did a different translation for the climax of the Armored Titan, in the manga Mikasa literally said ":frogout: Reiner"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was really impressed with the pacing for the episode. I was worried going in that there would be lots of longing lingering pan shots that made it seem like there were sitting with their thumbs up their rear end, but the cuts between The Decision and the other action taking place was just right.

I read up to current with the manga after season 2, and I’ll echo that the studio did an incredible job making things in this battle much clearer; I was barely aware of what was happening with Armin on the pages.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm really impressed with what studio wit did with the material; when the manga did this part everyone loving despised it. People thought it was a complete rear end-pull to avoid killing Armin and it just felt like the manga was trying to draw things out as long as possible.

Like people were legit melting down and declaring that they were 100% DONE with the series after that chapter.

Also, I'm really sad they did a different translation for the climax of the Armored Titan, in the manga Mikasa literally said ":frogout: Reiner"
Was that scene where Levi was given the syringe before they set off not in the manga? I did think Armin was dead but having an incapacitated shifter lying around was a pretty obvious setup for a needle revival in retrospect.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Levi had the syringe in the manga, but when the decision to revive Armin and not Erwin was revealed a lot of people were upset with the decision to revive one of the core 3 instead of the leader of the Survey Corps.

In the manga it feels much more like Levi has to defend himself afterwards, whereas I thought this episode did a good job of showing you what he's thinking as it's happening, and what ultimately leads him to make the decision he does.

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 5, 2019

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I remember my favorite being a person who had a giant meltdown with giant caps, expletives everywhere, and tons of exclamation points, saying something like, "This is loving ATTACK ON TITAN not some GODDAMN TELLTALE ADVENTURE GAME, it's the SAME GODDAMN THING EXCEPT WITH A FAKE CHOICE, EXCEPT THERE'S NO GAME TO DRAG OUT TO FIFTY HOURS WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME. gently caress YOU, gently caress EVERYTHING IN THIS STORY, THE BASEMENT HAD BETTER BE A NOTE SAYING WE ALL GET A REFUND FOR THIS TRASH---", etc., etc.

Studio Wit has really done an amazing job with the adaption, and I'm always impressed by them. It really hurts me to know that they're probably going to be forced to not be the ones doing the next few arcs. :(

Which reminds me. Is this half of season 3 supposed to be 12 episodes long, as well?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It'll be 10 episodes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got mad due to the depiction of fried armin as somehow still a living organism than the crispy fried scorched bacon he had been turned into. With the way it literally seared his hair off it would have melted his lungs and then he also fell like a hundred feet onto a roof below in that state. This series has had unrealistic poo poo happen to characters all the time for sure, but armin transformed into a rotisserie chicken titan before he hit the ground, he was cooked to perfection in midair, he should have been a delicious-smelling greasy smear on the pavement by the end of that scene. but then they had him laying there, seared to a crispy golden brown, while everyone bickered above his body for five minutes. The way it was depicted in the manga was noooooot gooooood

Edit: can someone post a shot from the manga to show what I mean, dude was human beef jerky

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 5, 2019

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: can someone post a shot from the manga to show what I mean, dude was human beef jerky

That was the peak of him being a grease stain. Other than that its not much different from the anime, just a burned bald boy wheezing.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

A thing I noticed (although it might just have been repeating a similarly context-less shot from the manga?) is that there are a couple of times in the first season when Mikasa experiences a moment of great pressure and determination when it shows a really quick shot of a beating heart / flashes of light / some other imagery. It's really hard to describe, but it's exactly the same style of images that play when Eren turns into a titan. It plays when she's having her breakdown in Trost and she thinks Eren is dead, she's out of gas and a titan's about to attack her but she decides to keep trying to survive anyway; possibly also when she resolves to fight the human traffickers and save Eren. For ages I was convinced this was foreshadowing that Mikasa was also a titan shifter or at least had some sort of Titan magic power. It turns out it's foreshadowing that she's an Ackerman, but IIRC when Season 1 was airing the manga wasn't up to that revelation.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah I thought that was foreshadowing that she had been commanded by eren's coordinate power to live, but apparently she's one of the few people that's actually immune to his power.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Eh, it’s kind of hard to tell what’s foreshadowing and what’s not, since most of the story had been planned out from the beginning to I think the end of the next arc, before going in a different direction for the ending, which I guess now goes in a different direction and takes place after two more arcs? For instance, in the courtroom scene in season 1, you can see Rod Reiss reacting to the trial, where he’s presented to just look like a random person to the viewer. If I were to wager a guess, Mikasa being an Ackerman and having whatever powers that means was definitely preplanned and foreshadowed. Though iirc, Kenny Ackerman wasn’t actually fleshed out as a character until before he was written, and was inspired by the author playing Grand Theft Auto V, and wanting to explore a character who’s primary motivation was excessive violence.
TL;DR Most of the major plot points were planned in advance, so foreshadowing there is more solid, but some of the other details weren’t complete yet, so seeing foreshadowing there is kind of a shot in the dark, especially in season 1 of the anime. Since that was running at the same time the clash of the titans arc was going in the manga.
Now Season 2 and Season 3 are a different beast all together. Season 2 started running when the manga was where the anime is now. There are...various details in the show here and there, things that were drawn differently after later parts of the manga. Though I don’t think it wouldn’t be a good idea to draw direct attention to anything specific.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 5, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

yeah I thought that was foreshadowing that she had been commanded by eren's coordinate power to live, but apparently she's one of the few people that's actually immune to his power.

He didn't have that power yet at the time, anyway.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I got mad due to the depiction of fried armin as somehow still a living organism than the crispy fried scorched bacon he had been turned into. With the way it literally seared his hair off it would have melted his lungs and then he also fell like a hundred feet onto a roof below in that state. This series has had unrealistic poo poo happen to characters all the time for sure, but armin transformed into a rotisserie chicken titan before he hit the ground, he was cooked to perfection in midair, he should have been a delicious-smelling greasy smear on the pavement by the end of that scene. but then they had him laying there, seared to a crispy golden brown, while everyone bickered above his body for five minutes. The way it was depicted in the manga was noooooot gooooood

Yeah, when I came up with my theory, I was assuming a nasty gut wound, or multiple smashed limbs, or something else that would kill someone relatively slowly, not what we got. There's surviving being thrown into walls, and then there's...that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His crunchy outer shell broke his fall.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've dropped pieces of beef jerky before and they were fine. Their sinewy goodness protected them from their fall. Also, the 5 second rule scales with mass, so Armin had a few minutes probably.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I suppose it's worth pointing out that Eren's "prophetic" dream in the first episode (To you, 2000 years from now) is different; in the manga it's a an older Mikasa saying "See you later, Eren", while in the anime it's various disjointed scenes including Eren's mother being eaten, and a latter reused shot of the flower field where Hannes dies.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't that just as unlikely as Erwin surviving X minutes without a big chunk of abdomen? (Not to mention moving and art or mumbling in his unconsciousness)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suppose it's worth pointing out that Eren's "prophetic" dream in the first episode (To you, 2000 years from now) is different; in the manga it's a an older Mikasa saying "See you later, Eren", while in the anime it's various disjointed scenes including Eren's mother being eaten, and a latter reused shot of the flower field where Hannes dies.

Was that actually Mikasa in the manga opening, though? I remember looking back to check who it was, and it being the bottom half of a figure, but not enough to make out who it was. Then after that was when Eren told Mikasa her hair was long again.

Edit: Never mind, looked it up. Eren's asleep and Mikasa is waking him up, and the words "Goodbye, Eren" are superimposed over Mikasa, you can see her scarf. But it's kind of unclear whether that's Mikasa in the future he's looking at, or he's seeing Mikasa in the present while half-asleep and hearing someone's voice, since the first panel person is wearing the same kind of clothes and hair Mikasa is in the present.

:thunk:

Maybe it's a dropped plot thread, but I'm really loving suspicious about it (and again, I'm only up to like chapter 101, so if this has been answered, I'm not hinting, I honestly don't know) because this is in the ending credits for the second season, and something an anime-only person pointed out to me.

Edit 2: God drat it, who cares what's going on in my personal life. I'm off to read the manga again.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 6, 2019

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So I noticed that there's a split-second of SOMETHING in the opening between the foot in the grass/puddle of blood and the shot of Historia's face. Can anyone help me out?

ETA: Nevermind. I figured it out and I'm finding some interesting shots. I suggest everyone do the same, if you like that sort of thing.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 6, 2019

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Maera Sior posted:

So I noticed that there's a split-second of SOMETHING in the opening between the foot in the grass/puddle of blood and the shot of Historia's face. Can anyone help me out?

yup, 1 frame

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So, I suppose it's time to start theorizing what's in the basement and how the rest of the season is going to play out.

I expect to find in the basement:
The photo of the woman in full, including Grisha (on her right, our left) and baby Zeke (in her lap).
Some sort of map (so we can see the world for the first time), maybe a rough one made by Grisha, maybe a better one he was carrying in his pocket.
Grisha's notes about the Reiss family or other information regarding who has the Coordinate.

I'd like a travelogue, or maybe a diary of Grisha since he arrived, but I'm not holding my breath. I do not expect to find it looking like a mad scientist's lab.

After that, everyone will be forced to reassess what they know about the world, the Reiss family, why they're being attacked, etc. Since WIT loves the technique and it gives the animators a break, this will be shown through a mixture of flashbacks (mostly Eren's) and new footage. These revelations will probably take us through the end of the next two episodes. If I'm counting them right, there will be one episode to return and report to Historia (and read Ymir's letter), and then another episode to cap things off. The last episode will deal with rebuilding the scouts and prepping for whatever their next thing is, which probably takes us to that strange flash-forward of Eren at the sea. There will have to be some sort of time skip to get us there, but I'm not sure whether we'll get a montage of new recruits over the next 2-3 years or if it will be a jarring cut, with the details filled in later (my preference, and my expectation since otherwise there's have a lack of shocking things to drop in the last episode).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this is the one final shot to get in your anime only basement theories.

The only thing I will say is there is SOMETHING in the basement, and basically every manga reader will tell you "this was worth the wait and satisfied expectations for everyone". So, with the knowledge that it's not nothing and that it's real good, before the floodgates open I want to see the final theories on what they will find there from every anime-only poster here.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The only thing I will say is there is SOMETHING in the basement, and basically every manga reader will tell you "this was worth the wait and satisfied expectations for everyone". So, with the knowledge that it's not nothing and that it's real good, before the floodgates open I want to see the final theories on what they will find there from every anime-only poster here.

Well, when you put it that way...

The origin of the titans and the civilization outside, including a framing of their conflict, beyond what we saw in the season 2 ending. I've been able to put together a rough outline, so it has to be bigger than that.

ETA: Given that we've been given info that manga readers didn't have at this point and can speculate with more direction, is the reveal going to land the same way?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 7, 2019

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

ETA: Given that we've been given info that manga readers didn't have at this point and can speculate with more direction, is the reveal going to land the same way?

I’d really not answer that beyond a “maybe.”, since it’s only 2 more days until the episode airs. A yes or no would probably hint too far in one direction.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, time to quickly catch up with the anime to refresh my memories 'cause I wanna be here for this.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Catalina posted:

I’d really not answer that beyond a “maybe.”, since it’s only 2 more days until the episode airs. A yes or no would probably hint too far in one direction.

That's reasonable, the question just happened to cross my mind as I realized what my theories are primarily built on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, so first I was just going to agree with Maera's analysis, but this has me intrigued.

Just to throw spaghetti at the wall, my anime-only theory is that Eren's dad is in the basement frozen in Annie-ice. :psyboom:

fakeedit: Oh wait, did Eren eat him in a flashback? Oh well...