Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god in Pelago you can hold down the stylus to collect beans instead of one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My whole life is a lie

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Oh my god in Pelago you can hold down the stylus to collect beans instead of one by one.

What

The

Shuck(le)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sexpig by night posted:

I do now genuinely want a pokemon game where they overcompensate for the lack of a second parent all this time by having your protag being the kid of a stereotypically deeply overly supportive gay couple. It's like how in gen 2 and 3 you had the pokephone and could send money home and all but instead it's being constantly called with check ins to make sure you're drinking water and making friends and telling you they believe in you and poo poo. In the hall of fame montage at the end they're in the background with somehow already made shirts with you and your team on them. Never will there be jokes about absentee poke-parents again. Hire me nintendo, I'll make all your games queer.

this is just rotom dex but with the poketch and, well, you know how we feel about rotom dex

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao if you think a major Japanese company will put any undeniable gay representation in.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Rotom Dex didn't bring me in to this world

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nasgate posted:

Lmao if you think a major Japanese company will put any undeniable gay representation in.

You live with your mum and her "cousin" who sleeps in the same bed as her, regularly smooches her, and has matching "friendship rings" they exchanged at a traditional Galarian "friendship ceremony"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just got through Ash's second Sinnoh badge, and the episodes lately have been great. Gardenia is fun, especially her interactions with James. Her battles against Ash were neat too, with some clever tactics on both sides.

"An Elite Meet and Greet" finally gets around to explaining the role of the Elite Four in the animeverse, although the main plot fits more or less into the pattern of previous Elite Four episodes, just with Dawn's Buizel getting some humility smacked into it instead of Ash. "All Dressed Up With Somewhere To Go" was lots of fun (as weird-competition episodes tend to be). "A Secret Sphere of Influence" had Team Rocket trying to be the Lupin III gang and failing (one of my favorite directions for them), and did a good job of fleshing out the Officer Jennys. The capture of Buizel was probably the blandest of the past few episodes, actually, but still not really bad.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I kind of liked how you could phone your mom in BW2 and she'd tell you a little about the town you were visiting because she used to work there or whatever.

the phone was really good in bw2 in general

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I found this article from fall of last year interviewing Sarah Natochenny: https://closeupculture.com/2018/11/25/interview-sarah-natochenny-on-death-threats-voicing-pokemons-ash-ketchum-and-fostering-kittens/

quote:

Q: You have been the voice of Ash Ketchum for 12 years now and recently shared a troubling story on Instagram about the bullying you received when you first took the role in 2006. Can you take us back to this time and some of the unwelcome trials you had to overcome?

A: I think it’s important to note: I didn’t “take” the role – that’s how a lot of the “trolls” like to characterise what happened. I was one of many actors who auditioned for a role that needed to be filled. At the end of the audition process, I was offered the role. I accepted, as anyone in my position would do – I was 19, and this was the most exciting thing to have happened in my career at that point.

As a fan of the show, I understood that my portrayal had to be true to the role, but I never imagined that I would start receiving death threats saying that I “took” what wasn’t rightfully mine, and if I didn’t give it back, I would get killed. There were petitions to get me fired, and confrontations at conventions. I was very much alone in this and felt awkward even mentioning it to friends.

It sent me down a dark hole for many years and led me to discover other career paths in the industry, for which I’m grateful. But if you think rejection is the worst thing you’ll experience as an actor, try getting the role and being told by fans that you’ve ruined their childhoods. Try getting creepy calls and emails with death threats. I’m sure there are people who easily shrug it off, but at 19, I wasn’t one of them.

On the bright side, I’m in a much better place now and feel encouraged by the fans who grew up with my work. They’re a huge reason why I’m still with the show. It’s been lovely getting to know them more at conventions and on social media.

This fandom is garbage sometimes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you may be surprised to learn that it is not specific to any fandom it is just Men

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

you may be surprised to learn that it is not specific to any fandom it is just White people

While men visibly act the most on it, let's not kid ourselves into thinking the sense of entitlement that leads to this is restricted to them.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

E-flat posted:

p.s. gently caress you, Preston :argh: wherever you are
It's in Lancashire, I've heard it's a pretty nice city :v:.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nasgate posted:

I mean look at FFXIV and Yoshi P's recent interviews. Stuff is changing, slowly. Granted SE is not Nintendo but still.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I found this article from fall of last year interviewing Sarah Natochenny: https://closeupculture.com/2018/11/25/interview-sarah-natochenny-on-death-threats-voicing-pokemons-ash-ketchum-and-fostering-kittens/

This fandom is garbage sometimes.

My question is who's that loving passionate about the pokemon anime they would wish death on somebody over it? Fandoms are beyond me sometimes. I mean seriously, why be that invested? It's not like it's Voltron where queer baiting was the dish of the day. (I should clarify even in that case I don't condone how batshit that fandom went either. If poo poo goes bad just leave)

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm super invested in my advertainment.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flopsy posted:

My question is who's that loving passionate about the pokemon anime they would wish death on somebody over it? Fandoms are beyond me sometimes. I mean seriously, why be that invested? It's not like it's Voltron where queer baiting was the dish of the day. (I should clarify even in that case I don't condone how batshit that fandom went either. If poo poo goes bad just leave)

People were very angry about 4kids losing the license because MUH CHILDHOOD. You still sometimes see people talking about wanting the voice actors back, despite the fact that the TPCI cast has now been doing the dub longer than 4kids did.

Considering what happened with 4kids and Yugioh, it’s pretty understandable why TPCI decided to bring the dub in house (beyond just money reasons) but people were pissed about their contract not being renewed.

(What ultimately sunk 4kids, other than the anime dub market changing so that their style wasn’t desirable to licensors, was that they weren’t properly paying royalties re: Yugioh, which was their last major property so their contract was revoked. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some issues there for the anime and TPCI just said “gently caress it, we’ll save money and do it ourselves”. And then fans frothed at the mouth because it was different and the shoestring budget dub with at the time mostly inexperienced new actors dared to have a rough transition.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

Did... Did you not try this? Am I the only one lazy enough to do this?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

People were very angry about 4kids losing the license because MUH CHILDHOOD. You still sometimes see people talking about wanting the voice actors back, despite the fact that the TPCI cast has now been doing the dub longer than 4kids did.

Considering what happened with 4kids and Yugioh, it’s pretty understandable why TPCI decided to bring the dub in house (beyond just money reasons) but people were pissed about their contract not being renewed.

(What ultimately sunk 4kids, other than the anime dub market changing so that their style wasn’t desirable to licensors, was that they weren’t properly paying royalties re: Yugioh, which was their last major property so their contract was revoked. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some issues there for the anime and TPCI just said “gently caress it, we’ll save money and do it ourselves”. And then fans frothed at the mouth because it was different and the shoestring budget dub with at the time mostly inexperienced new actors dared to have a rough transition.)

There’s more to it than that. PUSA apparently lied about their reasons for not hiring the 4Kids actors, for example. Obviously that’s not Natochenny’s fault, though.

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%E9mon_USA_recasting_controversy

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

At this point though, the anime's changed its cast to the point where the only "permanent" characters are now Ash, the Team Rocket Trio, Delia, Professor Oak and arguably Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy (the fact that they're all different individuals mean that having many voice actors isn't a huge deal for them).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oak's Japanese VA died too so they're probably going to find a way to write around him now.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Dehry posted:

Oak's Japanese VA died too so they're probably going to find a way to write around him now.

My guess is that whoever's doing Samson Oak now will do Professor Oak. They already replaced a number of Ishizuka's roles already, including the narrator and Oranguru.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dehry posted:

He disappeared from the show for half a year, but they did recast him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

Typically if a character is important enough they’ll generally replace them (and there have been some rare instances of Japanese VAs being replaced while the original actor was still alive).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
What time is that direct tomorrow?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thrilla in vanilla posted:

What time is that direct tomorrow?

6 AM PT.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dehry posted:

I like that the new Japanese VA isn't even trying to sound old or remotely like his predecessor

Then there's all the pokemon he used to voice as well...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Super No Vacancy posted:

you may be surprised to learn that it is not specific to any fandom it is just Men

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

big if true

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pokemon. Pokemon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokemon. Soon.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pokemon. Soon.
Clearly this should have been the name of the Sun/Moon third game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
PokeMonsoon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

PokeMonsoon

PokeMontage

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

PokeMonsoon

The memes, Red!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

armored wooper

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

armored mega haxxorus is this region's regional bird

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokémon “go to the polls”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wow, it's a 10 minute video entirely about a dunsparce evo!!!