Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

i often call code loving dumb and broken but i hope nobody is offended because more often than not i turn out to be the guy who wrote it

lost it at a co worker recently (first time in my life) because she complains about the “mess” but it’d be like coming into gordon ramsey’s kitchen in the middle of service and complaining it was a mess “what are you two even doing?”

yes? because it’s busy, and there is loads on and it just takes time to work thru it and sorry it’s not being done the way you may do it but you don’t do my job, and you’re always complaining about the way i do something, so i change my work flow to suit you, which is why this is being done now and not then. hosed me off so much, for once just told her to shut up and let me do it my way. i am the boss after all although when the actual owner isn’t around she’ll be like “you’re not my boss” just to make it clear to me she doesn’t respect my superior position. oh well i’m learning to switch off 🤷‍♂️🤬

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
open offices are acceptable on days where i'm the only person in the office

one or two other people working quietly would be acceptable as well except for that inevitably one of them will loudly proclaim "boy it's quiet in here!" and make me hate them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao i can’t imagine some kind of sweet gig where i can concentrate on one thing and not be constantly divided between customers who come in, customers on the phone, co-workers who need me to do stuff they can’t, and making sure i’m not colliding with people lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

open plan offices are why god invented headphones

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
they aren’t enough

I generally wear industrial ear defenders, with earplugs underneath on a bad day, and I’m thinking of investing in some blinkers to reduce visual distractions

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Buy a VR headset so you can sit in your open office and pretend it's a regular office.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Plorkyeran posted:

one or two other people working quietly would be acceptable as well except for that inevitably one of them will loudly proclaim "boy it's quiet in here!" and make me hate them

sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Jabor posted:

Buy a VR headset so you can sit in your open office and pretend it's a regular office.

holy poo poo that’s a great idea

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Soricidus posted:

they aren’t enough

I generally wear industrial ear defenders, with earplugs underneath on a bad day, and I’m thinking of investing in some blinkers to reduce visual distractions

yeah the movement of people is what kills my concentration. somebody walks down the "hallway" and my lizard brain goes HEY WHAT WAS THAT?

it's even worse cuz the density of folks allowed per sq. ft. here is horrific. if I was fat I wouldn't be able to get out of my row without making six other people get out first.

i literally had a dream last night that we had this new beautiful office space - it was still open plan, but it was the whole floor of a building with lots of dead open space, lol :smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soricidus posted:

holy poo poo that’s a great idea

wtf dont give the bosses ideas

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the one idea i want the bosses to get is "hey you know how much money we're saving with this open office malarkey? well we could save even more by losing the office entirely and having everyone work remote"

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Plorkyeran posted:

the closest to an open office i worked in wasn't too terrible most of the time because it was more like 3 connected rooms with 4-6 people per room

but of course there was that one guy in my room who loved to hold phone meetings on speaker

all the usual fun of a conferencecall.biz clusterfuck with the added bonus of not even being part of the discussion

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Jabor posted:

the one idea i want the bosses to get is "hey you know how much money we're saving with this open office malarkey? well we could save even more by losing the office entirely and having everyone work remote"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jabor posted:

but then they cant look over your shoulder and see you browsing yospos all day

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Krankenstyle posted:

but then they cant look over your shoulder and see you browsing yospos all day

just require everyone to use vnc, easy.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't mind open offices, because i understand that programming is a pointless activity that ultimately doesn't matter. as such, if i can't poo poo out as much code as i could in a quiet place? who cares!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the optimal office configuration is an amazon warehouse and we've only been trending closer and closer that way

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i must be really lucky 'cause i work in an open office and it's perfectly needs suiting

all engineers, infosec, ux research, and some product management tho. only about 75 people too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

they aren’t enough

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

the optimal office configuration is an amazon warehouse and we've only been trending closer and closer that way

yah the end goal of containerization is that you can ship your devs the same as your code

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

i don't mind open offices, because i understand that programming is a pointless activity that ultimately doesn't matter. as such, if i can't poo poo out as much code as i could in a quiet place? who cares!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those were invented by one of the other grad students in my lab.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

Those were invented by one of the other grad students in my lab.

is that hole so they can see the keyboard?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
the hole is for the pocky

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what distributed system design books do y'all rate? i have found myself writing my own distributed reinforcement learning algorithms and i'm getting that reinventing-the-wheel feeling with handling worker death and load balancing and debugging and finding bottlenecks

i got me a kubernetes and a rpc framework, so it's not so much praxis and logical cloks as higher level mistakes ideas im interested in

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I liked the boar book(klepmann) a lot, but it sounds like you need something more in-depth.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

my tps is that I’m discovering today that calling out to the openssl binary and parsing stdout is a way better interface than any python crypto lib, god help us

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Ploft-shell crab posted:

my tps is that I’m discovering today that calling out to the openssl binary and parsing stdout is a way better interface than any python crypto lib, god help us

I would say that I don’t believe the OpenSSL cli could be better than anything at all down to and including being burned alive while someone reads my post history to you, but then I remembered how bad python crypto libraries are

in particular nobody should ever use cryptography, the unspeakably patronising library that also has the worst ideas, like "let’s require literally every function call to take a mandatory backend parameter, with no default fallback, even though there is only one possible backend and indeed we have already decided never ever to provide any alternative backends"

pycryptodome is less terrible in my experience, and at least less irritating

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Soricidus posted:

I would say that I don’t believe the OpenSSL cli could be better than anything at all down to and including being burned alive while someone reads my post history to you, but then I remembered how bad python crypto libraries are

in particular nobody should ever use cryptography, the unspeakably patronising library that also has the worst ideas, like "let’s require literally every function call to take a mandatory backend parameter, with no default fallback, even though there is only one possible backend and indeed we have already decided never ever to provide any alternative backends"

pycryptodome is less terrible in my experience, and at least less irritating

yep it’s real bad

in particular if you ever find yourself needing to make use of pkcs7/cms structures in python, I’d refer you to the thread title

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
openssl cli is so bad, i spent a few hours learning the template system and gave up

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
raise your hand if you have the java keystore default password memorized

animist
Aug 28, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

openssl cli is so bad, i spent a few hours learning the template system and gave up

the... template system? :ohdear:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

animist posted:

the... template system? :ohdear:

i don’t remember what it’s called, you write a spec that goes in a file and then can be easily used to generate whatever you need. i tried to use it to streamline dev environment setup but ended up stringing bash together instead

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i gave up and used cfssl instead.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Soricidus posted:

they aren’t enough

Wasn't some tech startup actually selling those? I forget if it was a parody or not because satire is dead.

E: https://panasonic.net/design/flf/works/wear-space/

Doom Mathematic fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 4, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

crazysim posted:

i gave up and used cfssl instead.

yeah tihs works so much better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU