Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for those replies. I finished again as Claire A, with a time of about 30 minutes away from an A. I think I'll unlock the knife, do Leon b, then I'll be done with this after four play throughs. Speed running seems fun but I've got to many other games to play.

This game is a masterpiece. The excellent source material really helps. The concept art is really great, too.

Was this patched to be harder? Those two lickers outside the cryo Lab are bullshit hard. They each took 2 acid rounds, and did flying jumps and licked me from around the corner. You don't get enough time to reload the launcher even if you run away around the corner first, they will appear in front of you as you're running away, reloading. Maybe a flash grenade first would help?

Also what's the best use of the spark shot? I used it to fry zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Pro strat is to leave the room which resets the lickers and walk carefully around the furniture

Spark shots is good against G3 and G mutants

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 2, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChaosArgate posted:

There is a caveat to the one flame round thing though; the game dynamically adjusts how much damage you give and take depending on how well you’re doing, so if you’re doing really well, a licker might take more than one round to die.

Lickers will never take more than 2 grenades if you hit them with the grenade.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

redreader posted:

Thanks for those replies. I finished again as Claire A, with a time of about 30 minutes away from an A. I think I'll unlock the knife, do Leon b, then I'll be done with this after four play throughs. Speed running seems fun but I've got to many other games to play.

This game is a masterpiece. The excellent source material really helps. The concept art is really great, too.

Was this patched to be harder? Those two lickers outside the cryo Lab are bullshit hard. They each took 2 acid rounds, and did flying jumps and licked me from around the corner. You don't get enough time to reload the launcher even if you run away around the corner first, they will appear in front of you as you're running away, reloading. Maybe a flash grenade first would help?

Also what's the best use of the spark shot? I used it to fry zombies.

The actual pro strat is to simply walk in that room. Lickers don't attack if you're walking since they can't see nor hear you. This is also why flash bangs gently caress them up, it disorients their heightened sense of hearing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1 overcharged spark shot will put down a plant, which is how I used it the first time because I wanted to save my flame rounds. You won’t kill it but unless you’re really lost you don’t pass by the same area more than twice.

And yeah the way the lickers enter that hallway makes you think they’re already on attack but they aren’t. It’s the zombies that will pressure you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Using Sparkshot ammo on the plants is almost a waste, really. They work exactly like Regeneradores from Resident Evil 4, except you can see their little life nubbins all the time. Three to four shots will reliably put them down.

Kibayasu posted:

And yeah the way the lickers enter that hallway makes you think they’re already on attack but they aren’t. It’s the zombies that will pressure you.
The thing about lickers that gets you is that the attic statue licker will always attack, no matter how you walk, so it's easy to learn the false lesson from this that they are immediately aggressive.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm still not convinced that this is actually true, by the way.

The dynamic difficulty thing or that it can swing hard enough to make a Licker take more than one grenade round? Because I don't know the math on the latter but the former is 100% true and aggressively documented for manipulation purposes.

there's a reason speedrunners whiff shots for seemingly no reason, they're screwing with the number.

edit: ran the numbers, it's true, it can actually swing hard enough for you to have it take two Flame Rounds. It's not even super unlikely on Hardcore Mode.

Please consult the following for fun-ruining data: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/179835-resident-evil-2/77488226

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 3, 2019

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
like the dynamic difficulty thing has been a part of every RE game since 4, hasn't really been a secret for a while lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Handguns are great for the ivies, and you probably have a lot of handgun ammo left over.

Spark shot works really well on G3, but you want to stun first to get the full charge.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The dynamic difficulty thing or that it can swing hard enough to make a Licker take more than one grenade round? Because I don't know the math on the latter but the former is 100% true and aggressively documented for manipulation purposes.

there's a reason speedrunners whiff shots for seemingly no reason, they're screwing with the number.
Both, in this case. I've also seen people claim that the game will modify ammo pickups based on how well you are doing, which is patently not true either, so I'm understandably a bit sceptical when people make claims like that. There's a lot of rumor surrounding this and when the numbers aren't visible in-game, people will quickly start pulling things out of their rear end.

That whole rank list you linked seems reasonable, though. I've also anecdotally made the experience that zombies seem to get tougher as you pass through the game, even if you aren't doing that great, so that kind of dynamic adjustment makes sense. Doesn't seem like it's happening very quickly, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cardiovorax posted:

Both, in this case. I've also seen people claim that the game will modify ammo pickups based on how well you are doing, which is patently not true either, so I'm understandably a bit sceptical when people make claims like that. There's a lot of rumor surrounding this and when the numbers aren't visible in-game, people will quickly start pulling things out of their rear end.

That whole rank list you linked seems reasonable, though. I've also anecdotally made the experience that zombies seem to get tougher as you pass through the game, even if you aren't doing that great, so that kind of dynamic adjustment makes sense. Doesn't seem like it's happening very quickly, though.

It's a pretty gradual shift, so unless you can see the numbers, you likely won't be able to tell the difference between Rank 5 and Rank 6. The easiest difficulty swings to spot that I've noticed are when zombie bites can take you from 100% to Red in one shot at higher ranks vs just going down to Yellow at lower ones or, as mentioned earlier, lickers taking more than one flame round even if they've been dancing around in pain for the duration of the fire's DOT.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The sparkshot can be especially effective on G-Adults, in particular. A single charge is usually not enough to kill them - it takes two - but a single shot WILL make them start doing the happy fun taser dance for a second or two. If you know you will only need to get past a G-Adult just this once (which is most of the time you fight them), you can pop a quick sparkshot into him to stun him and then quickly run by instead of charging it up.

It also inflicts one hell of a stagger on Mr X even if it won't actually knock him down. Considering when you get the sparkshot, though, this only matters in Ghost Survivor and Fourth Survivor stuff.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I've also seen people claim that the game will modify ammo pickups based on how well you are doing

I think ammo crafting produces varying results that are actually straight up random rather than dynamic difficulty.

the modifying ammo pickups though I think that's BS. It's sort of true in 4 through 7 though! Just not 2Make.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sparkshot is a bad weapon. Use that room for more bullets instead.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bogart posted:

Sparkshot is a bad weapon. Use that room for more bullets instead.

It's handy against Birkin 3 on Hardcore mode though, especially when you need him to loving stay still while the crate comes over.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

the modifying ammo pickups though I think that's BS. It's sort of true in 4 through 7 though! Just not 2Make.
It's certainly true in 4, but I guess it's also just a very different system to begin with. RE4 has dynamic ammo drops from kills in general and will, at the very least, weigh them towards things you are currently carrying. I don't think I've ever gotten prox mine ammo when I wasn't carrying the launcher, for example.

RE2make pre-places everything based on difficulty level and it does it the same every time. I also think that ammo crafting is plain random, but that would be easy enough to test for anyone who really wants to know.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, yeah, sell everything but the magnum and the drops skew heavy that way. You’ll still get normal stuff from static pickups.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I did Leon A, Claire B, Claire A and now I'm on Leon B. It seems to be the hardest run so far.

The lickers were really kicking my rear end in the police station and Mr. X gave me a really hard time. I'm in the sewers now but I think I wasted about 30 minutes just on Mr X and licker avoidance (trying to access the locker room for the final time after getting both keys). Claire just didn't have this problem. I think Claire is a lot easier to play as then Leon. It also turns out that I missed one Mr. Raccoon (bus outside back of Police station with Claire) and all my Claire saves are gone :) so I won't have the infinite knife soon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Skip the spark shot for Claire. Grab the flamethrower for Leon to easily waste plant zombies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I forgot how fast you can just rush through the PC version of RE '96, in no small part thanks to skipping all the door sequences:

This is just me goofing around with the MAC-10, but I had only started playing to kill time while a buddy hosed off to make something to eat. By the time he got back I'd just shredded the first Hunter, so figured I might as well just blast through everything else too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even though I think Claire B gets the worst pistol in the SAA yeah I’d say Leon B is the hardest. Leon may have a slightly easier time with regular zombies thanks to shotgun headshots but 2 of Claire’s weapons have a really good stun effect on larger/tougher and her SMG may not be able to decapitate zombies but it’ll take a leg off in an instant and is basically good against everything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The SMG is at its weakest in any situation that rewards burst damage, as I painfully learned the first time I tried to use it against ol' Willy G. It's your standard bullet hose: it works against everything eventually, but never right away. None of Leon's weapons are fast, but they all have a pretty big stagger to them, while tougher enemies can just power right through much of Claire's loadout and smack you one anyway. You can kill anything, but if you don't pay attention, you will be eating that damage.

My opinion under the bottom line would be that Claire's playstyle is less tolerant of mistakes and rewards careful positioning more than Leon's does, but she has a higher power ceiling in general.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cardiovorax posted:

Start with Jill. She has a bigger inventory and starts with her handgun, although Chris really gets his not all that much later. Also, her Master of Unlocking degree is as useful as it was in the original.

Worth knowing is that there are now doors which open in only one direction and/or which will break after a few uses and then only allow you to pass through them in one direction. Remember where they are or the game will send you in one big loving circle at the worst time possible.

If you can, always kill zombies by blowing their heads off. If you can't, use that oil can you find a few rooms into the game and burn the body. You will not like what happens if you don't.

If possible, trying and kill/finish off zombies on top of other zombie bodies.

If you stack them up, you can burn multiple bodies at once. That tip saved my rear end back when I played it on Gamecube.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Even though I think Claire B gets the worst pistol in the SAA yeah I’d say Leon B is the hardest. Leon may have a slightly easier time with regular zombies thanks to shotgun headshots but 2 of Claire’s weapons have a really good stun effect on larger/tougher and her SMG may not be able to decapitate zombies but it’ll take a leg off in an instant and is basically good against everything.

Eh.... the SAA's hammer fan that lets it dump an insane amount of ammo downrange in an instant can be pretty handy; it's an extremely quick and reliable leg sever on zombies when you're in a hurry, and nice burst damage on bosses. It also has much better damage than ANY other pistol in the game, excepting the magnums of course.

As for the bit about Leon's weapons having more stagger, I have to disagree JUST because of lickers. The shotgun is borderline worthless against them, whereas either type of grenade from Claire's launcher shuts them down hard.

Don't worry too much about not being able to unlock the infinite knife right away. When I finally got it was definitely one of those cases where I realized I didn't really need it anymore. It's nice having another knife, but by the time you get it it's.... just another knife. The infinite durability doesn't mean much because by necessity, you'll have learned how to use your ammo effectively by then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

As for the bit about Leon's weapons having more stagger, I have to disagree JUST because of lickers. The shotgun is borderline worthless against them, whereas either type of grenade from Claire's launcher shuts them down hard.
That's the one big exception that I'd agree with. Claire has a substantially easier time with lickers when she can get a solid hit on them, at least until Leon gets the Lightning Hawk - which is really only fair, since she also faces more of them in general.

Between the Lightning Hawk, the Shotgun and the Matilda's triple tap, I stand to my opinion that his weapons just have more outright stopping power on the whole. I always felt this particularly keenly against bosses - a shotgun blast to G-1's big eye will often stop it cold a lot of the time and when it doesn't, you still have three more shots left. The grenade launcher is comparatively harder to handle and the single-shot magazine means that when G powers through, you are typically in the worst spot possible.

All in all, the weapons and the characters are close enough in capability that it's really a matter of degrees, so I won't fight you on it if you still disagree.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Backhand posted:

Don't worry too much about not being able to unlock the infinite knife right away. When I finally got it was definitely one of those cases where I realized I didn't really need it anymore. It's nice having another knife, but by the time you get it it's.... just another knife. The infinite durability doesn't mean much because by necessity, you'll have learned how to use your ammo effectively by then.

I don't know. I've (almost) finished this 4 times and I'd love always having a knife that you can kill downed zombies with. It would save a TON of ammo. I assume if you use it on a boss to prevent a grab, it's lost forever?

edit: why does everyone say that the best place for boards is the west corridor? from what I've noticed:

-Stairs near darkroom, window needs one
-one for the east office when the zombie starts banging on the window, you can prevent it getting in.
-one for the east corridor right outside that same office
-one for the place near the interrogation room, if you get there fast enough the police zombie can't get in

But you only go through the entire west corridor like twice, and no matter what a ton of zombies get in. IDK how many times I go to the dark room for instance.

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Depends. Birkin 1 and 2 drop the knife on the ground when the fight's over. I assume 3 does as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

-Stairs near darkroom, window needs one
Everyone does that one, they probably just don't find it worth mentioning.

quote:

-one for the east office when the zombie starts banging on the window, you can prevent it getting in.
Not worth the bother, you never go there again.

quote:

-one for the east corridor right outside that same office
Occasionally worth it, I do that one when I have boards left over.

quote:

-one for the place near the interrogation room, if you get there fast enough the police zombie can't get in
Also not worth it, you never go there again. Just kill the stupid zombie.

The best locations for boarding up are places you will pass through regularly, where zombies respawn regularly, and which are too narrow to evade zombies reliably. The Western wing of the police station contains a lot of important crap and has few useful shortcuts, so when it comes to locations worth boarding up, it just tops the list more or less by default. There are other places to secure that are also helpful, but they're just less helpful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just forget to board all windows unless theres a board like right next to it.

Luckily theres more than enough ammo to just shoot your way through the west hallway.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 4, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've gotten too used to completely boarding up the west hallway since I basically copied all the speed runners. The darkroom window is a no brainer since the boards are right there, and to me everything else can be ignored.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've gotten too used to completely boarding up the west hallway since I basically copied all the speed runners. The darkroom window is a no brainer since the boards are right there, and to me everything else can be ignored.

Boarding up the west hallway can be very helpful on Leon's B route.... he has to go back through that hallway once it's repopulated with lickers, and having to deal with zombies and lickers at the same time is a NASTY little encounter. He also gets his first couple of boards a good bit earlier than usual, because B scenario.

For Claire it's a lot less important because she only ever has to go through that hall once in her B route, and twice in her A route (and the lickers won't be there yet in either case).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's one of the things about RE2make that I really, really like: you can completely ignore that kind of thing. There are just about enough boards in the game (if you really scour the police station) to board up very nearly all the windows, and definitely all the remotely important ones. At the same time, though, it's absolutely not something that you ever actually need to do. You can play through the entire game without even bothering; the only thing that matters is how many respawns you personally want to deal with.

If you do bother, there are some locations that are just more useful than others, but it's never actually necessary.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in RE3, they should keep the boards but as a defensive item. Let you staple one to a zombie's head

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
there are enough windows in the west corridor that you can put all of your boards into them and have some still remain unboarded. I think one big thing with this game is to know what windows need boarding. Like the single window in the east office (not that it's important, as you said) and the single window in the interrogation room corridor: there are like 3 windows in each of those locations and only one gets a zombie trying to come through.

Like, which windows in the west corridor actually get zombies coming in through them? And the first zombie that comes in, I think comes in no matter what, you can't avoid it. Same deal with the darkroom zombie: there's no escaping that one coming in the window no matter what you do.

I was running super low on ammo in leon B when I returned to the police station, but since then I've picked up a bunch.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

folks, i'm finally starting RE6, for the second time wish me luck

edit: I feel like if a helicopter sideswiped a train, the helicopter would stop moving

Smirking_Serpent fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 5, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

redreader posted:

there are enough windows in the west corridor that you can put all of your boards into them and have some still remain unboarded. I think one big thing with this game is to know what windows need boarding. Like the single window in the east office (not that it's important, as you said) and the single window in the interrogation room corridor: there are like 3 windows in each of those locations and only one gets a zombie trying to come through.
There are at least eight boards in the game, which I know because I had them all piled in my inventory at once at one point, and I'm pretty sure the west corridor does not have eight windows. I mean, it does, but some are just decorative, not zombie spawn points, and you can't actually board those up even if you wanted to.

redreader posted:

Like, which windows in the west corridor actually get zombies coming in through them? And the first zombie that comes in, I think comes in no matter what, you can't avoid it. Same deal with the darkroom zombie: there's no escaping that one coming in the window no matter what you do.
Only three or four of them at most, you can tell the spawn windows because they're the ones that zombies actually bang on and eventually break. The important thing to know here is that the respawn we are talking about also happens off-screen, not just when you watch a zombie crawl in. While you are gone, the game will re-fill the hallway with zombies based on how many windows are still accessible. They'll already be there when you come back, so it's sadly not as easy as just running past them while they're stuck on the windowsill. Board up everything and no zombies will spawn in that hallway ever again.

It's actually kind of boring, so I usually don't do that. And yeah, you can't avoid that first window. It specifically exists to introduce you to the mechanic, you will have no way to already have any boards at that point.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I know for a fact you can board up windows that dont ever spawn zombies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can think of one that I've never actually seen spawn a zombie, but there definitely are no interaction prompts on windows that aren't at least theoretically breakable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ill take your word for it because I dont feel like testing zombie spawns in various hallways like the east one that has like 4-5 windows but Ive only ever seen 2 zombies bust out through windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I get you. If you ever feel like checking what I mean, then the East office is a good spot. The room has three or four windows, two of which can be boarded up and at least one more which for all intents and purposes looks exactly the same, but can't be interacted with at all.

It really isn't that important, though. It just stuck with me because I never could figure out what makes that window special and spent probably almost five minutes trying to find the correct angle once.