Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crossposting because the world needs to know:

Holy poo poo, I found something worse than those chainsaw wheels for angle grinders.

Cursed Weed Whacker Head of Self Maiming +5

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does the chain get driven somehow or is just a flail?

e: just

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think it's probably a joke because there would be no benefit to it being a chain rather than rigid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

~Coxy posted:

I think it's probably a joke because there would be no benefit to it being a chain rather than rigid.

https://toolsdirectsales.com/produc...-saw-chain-1pcs

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It doesn't even have any of the sharp parts, the pointy bits are the drive links. But it's definitely made from actual chainsaw links because they have the stamped code that denotes pitch or gauge

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
He didn't say it wasn't an elaborate joke.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bad Munki posted:

Crossposting because the world needs to know:

Holy poo poo, I found something worse than those chainsaw wheels for angle grinders.

Cursed Weed Whacker Head of Self Maiming +5

For when you are trimming the lawn... For the Emperor! :commissar:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dog Case posted:

It doesn't even have any of the sharp parts, the pointy bits are the drive links. But it's definitely made from actual chainsaw links because they have the stamped code that denotes pitch or gauge

Excellent, that means it won't make a clean cut when it becomes a projectile.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well, so much for the compressor. Go to use it properly for the first time and the drain plug is leaking air rendering the whole thing useless. And of course the support line is closed for the weekend.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would expect that it ships with the drain plug open. Are you saying you can't close it? The pancake compressors I've used in the past have had a threaded plug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would expect that it ships with the drain plug open. Are you saying you can't close it? The pancake compressors I've used in the past have had a threaded plug.

It shipped with it closed, I opened it to drain it after the test use the other day, and now despite closing it all the way (it's a threaded plug with a knurled end for finger operation) it's leaking when turned on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No, wait, it was me being stupid. I thought "out" was "open" when actually "out" is "closed".

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 7, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Any air related tool it is good practice to take apart all the fittings, teflon tape the threads, and put it back together. I have yet to see something from a factory not have some kind of leak.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

Any air related tool it is good practice to take apart all the fittings, teflon tape the threads, and put it back together. I have yet to see something from a factory not have some kind of leak.

It seems pretty solid so far, apart from that misunderstanding.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It seems pretty solid so far, apart from that misunderstanding.

Aww, too bad their support desk were closed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Aww, too bad their support desk were closed.

Yeah I'm going to enjoy when they call me back. It's going to be like that time with the printer..

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Hello again sir is it plugged in? Did you put paper in it?

Edit: vvvv that's hilarious that reason is so much better

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 7, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In this particular case the odd behaviour was sequential diamonds of black being printed on every page. When we got it apart it turned out a post-it had drifted into the outfeed and was looping around the roller.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nail guns arrived from the colonies. Smells like freedom.

Edit:

OK so here's a fun one. After much digging it looks like my compressor has 1/4" euro-style quick connect fittings, as does my curled hose, 30m hose, and blower accessories. My 15m hose has 1/4" BSP fittings (threaded ones). These guns have 1/4" NPT quick connect fittings which are very similar to euro ones but (of course) different.

Fun Times With Adaptors ahead.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nail guns arrived from the colonies. Smells like freedom.

Edit:

OK so here's a fun one. After much digging it looks like my compressor has 1/4" euro-style quick connect fittings, as does my curled hose, 30m hose, and blower accessories. My 15m hose has 1/4" BSP fittings (threaded ones). These guns have 1/4" NPT quick connect fittings which are very similar to euro ones but (of course) different.

Fun Times With Adaptors ahead.

Just swap the nailer to euro plug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Yeah this is where I'm thinking of going with it. I'll need to figure out what's required of me to do so, having not worked with air lines before. Removing the plugs looks easy enough, putting in new ones safely and securely would be a fresh task to me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Back out the old one, put Teflon tape on the new one, screw it in. Done.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Gotcha. Could someone explain what locktite is, or however it's branded, with regards to when you really don't want something backing out? Or is it a "thread locker"? More often used in car bolts? Or something?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Gotcha. Could someone explain what locktite is, or however it's branded, with regards to when you really don't want something backing out? Or is it a "thread locker"? More often used in car bolts? Or something?

You don't want loctite on something like this. Yes, it's a thread locker, but that fitting's not going to back out. Teflon tape is sufficient for air leackage. Just pick up an appropriate *consults british handbook* spanner and swap em out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

sharkytm posted:

If anyone lurking this thread has never used teflon tape and is wondering why they're making a mess of it.. wrap it clockwise (the way you screw in so it doesn't come undone) and don't feel bad asking questions because that is the only way to learn :moonrio:

learning new poo poo is cool

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

You don't want loctite on something like this. Yes, it's a thread locker, but that fitting's not going to back out. Teflon tape is sufficient for air leackage. Just pick up an appropriate *consults british handbook* spanner and swap em out.

Sure, I meant more in general as it's a thing I've never fully understood, having not had need for it yet and not really sure when one might want to use it. Applications with severe vibration?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sure, I meant more in general as it's a thing I've never fully understood, having not had need for it yet and not really sure when one might want to use it. Applications with severe vibration?

Yes. Every fastener in robotics is either Loctite 243, 263, or anti seized. If it's plastic, then it's 425.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pretty much. There are different strengths of it so that projects vary but you can have light loctite for fine screws that you want to stay in place to heavy duty for old lawnmowers that want to fall apart on you like mine. Vibrations don't need to be too heavy to make screws/bolts loosen over time

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 8, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well yeah, car bolts is a very good example.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Oh I was going to mention, this won't work in the same way for the 15m hose which has crimped fittings. I'd have to look into what's involved in adding fittings to hoses, or see whether I'm in luck and the thread end of a euro plug is compatible with 1/4" BSP.

The UK's position half way between the US and Europe while never quite committing to either can be a blessing and a curse.

Edit: and indeed it is, it looks like the machined thread on the tool itself is whatever y'all have called 1/4" BSP.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 8, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The tools are probably 1/4" NPT.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

The tools are probably 1/4" NPT.

It's possible, I'm not able to tell the difference with the naked eye. Certainly seems compatible enough, the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow when I go get some parts.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

As the previous owner of a Kawasaki KLR650 (single 650cc cylinder, affectionately referred to as 'thumpers'), I used to buy blue Locktite (the 'non-permanent') by the case. That poo poo, or even the Walmart knockoff is such a ripoff. I bet it costs about $0.10 to make a tiny, 5mL tube that sells for $5-$10+. It does work, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I used blue loctite on the bolts of an Ikea stool that previously was getting loose every few months. I've also put it on little set screws for things like toilet paper holders and towel racks. Works beautifully.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's time to look at upgrading my 12v Porter Cable drill/driver I bought about a decade ago and I'm looking at two kits from HD this Fathers Day.

M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Compact Drill/Impact Combo Kit (2-Tool) W/ (2) 2.0Ah Batteries, Charger & Bag

M12 FUEL 12-Volt Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)w/ Free M12 3/8 in. Ratchet

I like the size/weight of my current 12v set and have only run into a handful of situations where I had to pull out my corded drill. However, upgrading to the 18v sounds real tempting too.

Anything else I should be looking at? I can probably go up to $300 if it's a good deal.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

fwiw I get a ton more use out of my 18v driver and that upgrade was much more noticeable than the drill which I use less. I felt like I needed to charge my makita 12v much more often than my dewalt 18v as well, If you plan on any medium/heavy use with the driver I'd go 18v

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

fwiw I get a ton more use out of my 18v driver and that upgrade was much more noticeable than the drill which I use less. I felt like I needed to charge my makita 12v much more often than my dewalt 18v as well, If you plan on any medium/heavy use with the driver I'd go 18v

Yeah, I figure if I was going to upgrade I would at least make it worth the money and do the 18v.

This Rigid kit looks interesting too
18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless Hammer Drill and Impact Driver 2-Tool Combo Kit with (2) 4.0Ah Batteries, Charger

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get the M12 fuel hammer drill, IMO.

You won’t regret having a tool that size even if you get an eighteen‐volt drill down the line.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd be surprised how much power the M12 line has. I grab mine a lot just for the lower weight / smaller size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really like my 12v Bosch, and it does a handy job on plaster (the first layer of our walls) and wood, but when it gets down to the actual stone walls that our 200+ year old stone house in Scotland is made of, it basically can't handle it.

So, I'm curious, is the Milwaukee M12 any good on stone?

I know that eventually I'm going to just get, in 18v, a Makita DHP481 https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-dhp481z-lxt-combi-drill-18v-body-only-506712 , as I already have a Makita LXT 18v circular saw, but was curious if all 12v were built equal...