Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TigerXtrm posted:

New resource icons!

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-297

I really did not like the way the new stuff looked on a belt at first, but luckily they did the sane thing and made it all random. It looks pretty badass now.

Dang that looks really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yeah, those are a huge improvement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Won't impact how much I play this silly game, but those resources certainly do look nice on the belts!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Factorio devs are a model for how to handle game development. Absolute obsession with player experience.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

TigerXtrm posted:

New resource icons!

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-297

I really did not like the way the new stuff looked on a belt at first, but luckily they did the sane thing and made it all random. It looks pretty badass now.

I had no idea that I needed these, but now I can't wait

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was dubious at first but as soon as I saw the look I was 100% sold.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That looks fantastic!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

K8.0 posted:

The Factorio devs are a model for how to handle game development. Absolute obsession with player experience.

Best $13 I ever spent.

simble
May 11, 2004

You can almost hear the ore crunching along on those belts now. That looks real nice.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Foehammer posted:

Best $13 I ever spent.

In value for money terms, Factorio may even be edging out KSP

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Foehammer posted:

Best $13 I ever spent.

My only regret is that I didn't jump in on that "your name on a science lab/locomotive deluxe edition" they had before they got on Steam. :smith:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you ever wanted to feel like you're slow, here's Nefrums doing a 100% speedrun in just 9 hours. So not just launching a rocket, doing it with Lazy Bastard and that 20million green circuits achievement too. Pretty insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCztAZVnDkk

He broke his own record from 0.16 with almost 5 hours.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
100% speedruns on long games just seem painful as gently caress, like I remember watching a highlight reel of a 100% breath of the wild speedrun a few weeks ago, unedited it was like 68 hours, only allowing two 9 hour breaks total.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a baten kaitos 100% is 340 hours long and 3/4ths of that is not playing the game while you wait for one card to turn into a different card

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Freaksaus posted:

If you ever wanted to feel like you're slow, here's Nefrums doing a 100% speedrun in just 9 hours. So not just launching a rocket, doing it with Lazy Bastard and that 20million green circuits achievement too. Pretty insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCztAZVnDkk

He broke his own record from 0.16 with almost 5 hours.

Here I am, having accepted that the last two achievements will forever remain locked. And then there's this rear end in a top hat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Does anyone know if there is a console command (or whatever) that will give you the kill statistics like when you launch a rocket and 'win'? I'd love to know how many bugs my wall defenses have killed now.. I have dozens of turrets with 5k+ kills and the bodies are heaped up outside the walls in multiple locations pretty much all the time now.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

Does anyone know if there is a console command (or whatever) that will give you the kill statistics like when you launch a rocket and 'win'? I'd love to know how many bugs my wall defenses have killed now.. I have dozens of turrets with 5k+ kills and the bodies are heaped up outside the walls in multiple locations pretty much all the time now.

Hit "k"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks! (way too simple for me to notice that tab)

Over the last hour I am killing (per minute):
102 small biters
68.4 medium biters
45.9 small spitters
45.9 medium spitters
30.5 big spitters
27.9 big biters.

So 320.6 bugs are dying every minute over the last hour. Hehe...

Uranium ammo consumption is 40 magazines per minute (production is constrained by the full buffer/belt), and explosive large-caliber cannon shells are being consumed at 64.3/m (production is 90/m).

Game is 98 hours old and evolution is at 0.5495. I have expansion turned down super low also.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 3, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Turret is having a pretty good time!

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A personal best since 0.17 came out :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Not enough tree death.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I finished my playthrough with Toxic Forest I had almost 300,000 tree kills. :v:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

The Locator posted:

Turret is having a pretty good time!

Nice -- which mod is that turret?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

Nice -- which mod is that turret?

I'm playing a "Krastorio" mod game and have Bob's Enemies. Just spawns constant huge waves of biters whenever my pollution cloud is touching a base.

The turret is part of Krastorio, along with a rocket turret that has a much longer range, but the ammo is extremely expensive (and you can make nuclear ammo for those) so I haven't made any of those yet.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Locator posted:

The turret is part of Krastorio, along with a rocket turret that has a much longer range, but the ammo is extremely expensive (and you can make nuclear ammo for those) so I haven't made any of those yet.

Well now I have to give this mod a try

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Well now I have to give this mod a try

Be ready to mine a lot more ore and deal with lots of excess stone!

Base smelting takes 3 ore for a single plate. Later you can use chemical plants to enrich ore which gives you 8 enriched ore for 10 ore (requires sulphuric acid I think) which smelts at a 1:1 ratio, but the enrichment process creates a lot of waste stone you need to account for in both filtering out before the furnaces, and in your belt capacity.

I'm enjoying it. I think it falls somewhere in between vanilla and Bob's/Angel's.

Mod adds another tier of belts and assemblers/plants along with new plants and a few ores.

Also a battle tank. :hist101:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Why does the train on the left insist on taking the lower path even when i toggle the manual/auto to get it to repath?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
From memory there's a hefty pathfinding penalty for stations that aren't on the train's schedule, and the upper section includes a station.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GotLag posted:

From memory there's a hefty pathfinding penalty for stations that aren't on the train's schedule, and the upper section includes a station.

Ah yep, that was it. Thanks very much. :)

Relatedly. If i want to use chain signals as much as possible, but also want to set up buffer side rails where trains can sit while they wait for rail further up to become free, what are the rules for that?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Using a series of chain signals with no intersections doesn't do anything.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

That's why i said buffer side rails. I have a bunch of parallel rails that split apart and later rejoin and i'm just wondering how to best signal them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Regular signals into each buffer, with a chain leading into that area (before the transition off the main line). Then chain signals on all the exits with a single regular when you get back on the main line.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This cheat sheet is what I used for setting up my signals:

I try to stick strictly to having single direction rails, saves me a ton of headaches.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The update that shows rail blocks when placing signals is incredibly helpful.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I played with 2-way rails with sidings in an earlier game and just decided that rails were cheap and the hassle of 2-way stuff was annoying, so I only use 1-way double rails everywhere now, even for very low-use spurs with only a single train assigned. Once you get the resources flowing they are pretty much unlimited beyond the very early game, so I just keep a giant stockpile of rails and use a standard blueprint set of double-rail everywhere so that I never have to deal with strange pathing and signalling issues like this.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Oh yeah it didn't even click you are doing 2-way rail there. Definitely upgrade to 1-way. They take a good deal more planning and space but are far simpler to implement overall.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Whether it's factorio or ottd, 2-way rails are best left to real-life rail systems where large numbers of humans are monitoring poo poo to make sure trains don't run into each other or lock up entire rail systems. For a fire-and-forget automated setup, 1-ways all the way.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

This cheat sheet is what I used for setting up my signals:

That's pretty good. Thanks.

Although i find my concerns are a little more deeper i think. I use side rails on my single-directional rails too, but find that things get stuck anyhow because i simply don't have enough side rails to properly buffer.

Also, my rail network is a pretty huge clusterfuck with like 15 unloading station for many different resources, and 2+ trains for many resource, so i've given up entirely on planning and just let it grow and add kludges whenever things get stuck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwqyn9sqfcxvg6k/pymod.zip?dl=1

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

My central train station:

Edit: Thanks to the honk mod just sitting there for a while is pretty fun too.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

After some more futzing around i've come up with what feels like a much more easy way to treat the train system.

Going from the data above, with a single track line, i used the chain in, normal signal out strategy on most of the intersections i had on one part of it, and watched things a little. What ended up happening is that trains would basically immediately get stuck near intersections with two trans trying to move into it and each blocking the other. The only way to solve it was to add side-ways whereever this happened.

What that system does is effectively *force* the player to plan and build capacity beforehand or have the entire system just loving jam itself.

What works a lot better for me is to have all intersections be chain signals only, with occasional specifically built buffers. This allows the trains to only *start* moving to where they wanna be if either the path is entirely clear, or they have a clear path to one of the buffers on the way.

The main advantage for me there is that yes, trains may be sitting at train stations for a long time before they get a path they can use, but it will *never* jam, allowing me to keep doing stuff without everything falling apart, until i get around to adding buffers to speed things up again.

And the buffer design i was wondering about fell into place with GotLag's mention of pathfinding weighting. The following structure has the chains-only path on the longest track, so it'll be the last to be considered, and all other tracks are enclosed with normal signals allowing trains to move into them whenever. Having the chains-only path on the longest track is important because otherwise it will be chosen first, the train will reserve its entire path, and thus block the opportunity for other trains to move into a buffer track.

This explanation is a little bit lengthy, but in practice this solution is safe against breaking itself and requires the smallest amount of thinking to implement while allowing smooth incremental optimizing.