Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i despise mark in p2 which is weird cause i didnt mind him in p1 so i dont know if that means you did a good job or not but hes such a fucker!!

maybe mark shouldnt tell people to savescum
I love Mark, he's a fellow cripster and I love all the characters I localized (rather than just edited), but he's absolutely a fucker. Rat Prophet, too.

I know everyone plays with Russian VO on (myself too), but I thought the English VO for Mark and Talon/Beak (the theatre Executors) did a great job. I put a bunch of campy points of emphasis in all of their lines, moments for them to pause and play with the timing, and the actors picked up on all of them:

Here's some advice. Actually, the only advice that matters. Try not to die. Ever. Do you understand? Like, never ever. At all. Or it'll turn bad. Not just for you, but for all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The English voice actors are doing some really good work. Clara's a little weird sometimes, but like the rest of the game's tone, it feels intentional.

Talon and Beak are my favorite characters and I hope I never miss a performance.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mark works hard to earn his title of creepiest weirdo in creepy weirdo town

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Mods No Masters posted:

Mark works hard to earn his title of creepiest weirdo in creepy weirdo town

I love how on the nose his last name is

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Pathologic 2 is getting the 2019 award for "game I can't stop thinking about but absolutely dread playing"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Star Guarded posted:

Absolutely hosed by RNG.

Please die a ton and read all the Mark dialogue because localizing that fucker's monologues in a way that was cryptic and verbose-but-natural-and-not-terrible-sounding, while also being faithful to the nuanced meaning of the philosophy of the Russian lines, was a huge ordeal. If I catch anyone savescumming you're dead for real.

You did an amazing job. Mark is hypnotically repetitive, in a way that feels very much like he's drilling down into the same point in order to emphasise the deeper meanings of what he's saying. In the hands of a lesser writer / translator it'd be abysmal; as it is, it feels very much like he is a living breathing person who isn't sure you're getting it and, aggravatingly, he's often right. I avoid diamond dialogue options like the plague when I'm talking to him, it's fantastic.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Star Guarded posted:

I know everyone plays with Russian VO on (myself too),

yeah someone told me this and i thought it was kind of ridiculous. i dont speak russian, why would i want to hear it?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Anyone know what Changeling's curse actually does?

Also, theorycraft:
Is the person you meet on the train, the plague?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 4, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I took it as a joke playing on the game already arbitrarily deciding who you are and aren't allowed to talk to. But I'm not very far in at all so I could definitely be wrong

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Also curiosity about Act 1, what is the somethings aren't bound to happen event in the top-left corner of your thoughts

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
take a ss?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can go to prison or reject your duty, for starters. There's a lot you can not do, though it's a bad idea.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

It replaces a quest (sometimes one you never encountered) where the opportunity to engage with it/complete it has passed due to the time or date.

I took it as a joke playing on the game already arbitrarily deciding who you are and aren't allowed to talk to. But I'm not very far in at all so I could definitely be wrong
Indeed, there's a lot of this in the game. (Which isn't to say anything like that is only a joke or meta-reference, sometimes it's multiple things at once, but that one's mostly a joke)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

SweetBro posted:

Anyone know what Changeling's curse actually does?

Also, theorycraft:
Is the person you meet on the train, the plague?

it’s either that or just death

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Quick one, does the game keep up the weird meta-theatrical poo poo as it goes along? Talking to Bad Grief's reflection was baller as hell.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

Quick one, does the game keep up the weird meta-theatrical poo poo as it goes along? Talking to Bad Grief's reflection was baller as hell.

It never stops.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Somfin posted:

it’s extremely fundamental to the game. not every character has reflections but they usually come at a good time

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So as someone who got about a third of the way through the original game and stopped (no particular reason, life just got in the way), I'm weighing whether to go back to that or just bite on this not-a-sequel. Although I heard it's not friendly to crappy PCs.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

pathologic is a clever flawed game. pathologic 2 is very, very good. there’s not much comparison

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

So as someone who got about a third of the way through the original game and stopped (no particular reason, life just got in the way), I'm weighing whether to go back to that or just bite on this not-a-sequel. Although I heard it's not friendly to crappy PCs.

Forget about the old game unless you're feeling particularly masochistic. The core gameplay and execution is just 500 times better in this re-imagining.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is there an alternate solution to the whole termitary thing that doesn't require fighting multiple odonghs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double post

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I went for the baby. The exact frame I stepped into the district a cloud spawned on me, draining all my immunity. Fine, great, I pop a booster. I haul rear end to the kid and make it. Hooray! He doesn't fit in my inventory. Four plague mummies spawn in a circle around me while I put it in there forcing me to die

I know that's the point but wow what a huge load of bullshit

So I guess the lessons I learned are: 1. Throw babies into the trash 2. Time doesn't pause in menus 3. Mummies suck. Also I'm playing in Russian, what does the plague say when you hear it for the cheevo?

e: A bandit just instantly killed me from full health in one poke are you kidding me. So it's day 5, I'm infected, I can eat antibiotics for 80% of my health to reduce my infection meter what appears to be one percent for five seconds? Why?, and I can be one shot by anything now. I figured out infected kidneys make a partial cure that will kill a patient anyway. Is the idea to keep trying different organ and herb combos? Not super clear what I'm doing there. I could've traded everything for a schmowder but that would have immediately killed me I'm pretty sure. I guess I don't know how I'm supposed to accomplish anything now - the moment I enter an infected zone a cloud explodes on me, zeroing my immunity, every single time, so I keep losing more and more health to infection I can't stop.

I guess just restart and never enter if possible without full clothing and at least two immunity boosters a trip to counter that?

e: I powered through and I'm chugging antibiotics, murdering cows, considering murdering children for schmowders if I see one again, and my inaction keeps getting places infected aaaaaaaa

Where the gently caress are these child caches I need them, I feel like I'm missing so much

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2019

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I went for the baby. The exact frame I stepped into the district a cloud spawned on me, draining all my immunity. Fine, great, I pop a booster. I haul rear end to the kid and make it. Hooray! He doesn't fit in my inventory. Four plague mummies spawn in a circle around me while I put it in there forcing me to die

So I guess the lessons I learned are: 1. Throw babies into the trash 2. Time doesn't pause in menus 3. Mummies suck

e: Also I'm playing in Russian, what does the plague say when you hear it for the cheevo?

e: A bandit just instantly killed me from full health in one poke are you kidding me

So it's day 5, I'm infected, I can eat antibiotics for 80% of my health to reduce my infection meter what appears to be one percent for five seconds? Why?, and I can be one shot by anything now. I figured out infected kidneys make a partial cure that will kill a patient anyway. Is the idea to keep trying different organ and herb combos? Not super clear what I'm doing there. I could've traded everything for a schmowder but that would have immediately killed me I'm pretty sure. I guess I don't know how I'm supposed to accomplish anything now - the moment I enter an infected zone a cloud explodes on me, zeroing my immunity, every single time, so I keep losing more and more health to infection I can't stop.

I guess just restart and never enter if possible without full clothing and at least two immunity boosters a trip to counter that?

Dang son.
Yeah the babies are a pain, they were the only reason why I ever entered an infected house but god dammit the risk vs reward for those little shits is fair. Sure you got several clouds and mummies up your rear end but if you deliver the luggage you get 500 smackers(Which isn't worth much in that part of the game) and a blanket reputation boost.( which is good if you're notorious for taking as many organs as you can all the time.)
Plague is mostly talking poo poo 24/7 in english. :v:
You might've been stabbed by several looters at once. Their kind hunt in packs.
Infected organs are used to make home made antibiotics, their quality is based on the rarity of the infected organ used. So in your scenario I recommend using the first schmowder you find because dealing with infection while still having all the other needs weighing you down is going to kill your run fast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Plague is mostly talking poo poo 24/7 in english. :v:
You might've been stabbed by several looters at once. Their kind hunt in packs.
Infected organs are used to make home made antibiotics, their quality is based on the rarity of the infected organ used. So in your scenario I recommend using the first schmowder you find because dealing with infection while still having all the other needs weighing you down is going to kill your run fast.

Lmao that rules

No it was definitely just a single guy. He picked up a knife and a double slash came across the screen and I fell over. It was an empty road beside it :negative:

I definitely need to find a schmowder asap then; I survived to day 6 so far but my health is pretty hosed and I'm low on antibiotics. If I die from it again I'll probably restart due to squandering boosters on day 1 anyway misunderstanding how it worked.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

RBA Starblade posted:

So I guess the lessons I learned are: 1. Throw babies into the trash 2. Time doesn't pause in menus 3. Mummies suck. Also I'm playing in Russian, what does the plague say when you hear it for the cheevo?

e: A bandit just instantly killed me from full health in one poke are you kidding me. So it's day 5, I'm infected, I can eat antibiotics for 80% of my health to reduce my infection meter what appears to be one percent for five seconds? Why?, and I can be one shot by anything now. I figured out infected kidneys make a partial cure that will kill a patient anyway. Is the idea to keep trying different organ and herb combos? Not super clear what I'm doing there. I could've traded everything for a schmowder but that would have immediately killed me I'm pretty sure. I guess I don't know how I'm supposed to accomplish anything now - the moment I enter an infected zone a cloud explodes on me, zeroing my immunity, every single time, so I keep losing more and more health to infection I can't stop.

e: I powered through and I'm chugging antibiotics, murdering cows, considering murdering children for schmowders if I see one again, and my inaction keeps getting places infected aaaaaaaa

Where the gently caress are these child caches I need them, I feel like I'm missing so much
The plague is tricky and it knows how players move. A cloud will frequently pop out of the entrance to plague districts as you, specifically, approach. Move toward the entrance at an angle, off the street, to avoid it. Also avoid moving along the streets while in plague zones, and somewhat counterintuitively, don't run. They love spawning right in front of running people.

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Forget about the old game unless you're feeling particularly masochistic. The core gameplay and execution is just 500 times better in this re-imagining.

I'd say unless you hate old games that this one is the far more masochistic one to play. There are a lot more cutscenes, dialogue and quests to do but every other change and game play mechanic addition, besides only getting infected when your immunity reaches zero and fast travel, has only made the game more difficult.

My biggest complaint of the first is that it could be dull, especially during the first few days, before things pick up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

P1’s only flaw is the copy/pasted content in the changeling path. P2’s only flaw is N/A, it’s doing all it sets out to do and perfectly at that

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

stab the mummies. you lose a very small amount of rep and you can harvest infected organs

bandits can backstab too. dont let them get a knife on your side or back as you run past em or you're done for

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

The plague is tricky and it knows how players move. A cloud will frequently pop out of the entrance to plague districts as you, specifically, approach. Move toward the entrance at an angle, off the street, to avoid it. Also avoid moving along the streets while in plague zones, and somewhat counterintuitively, don't run. They love spawning right in front of running people.

more specifically, plague clouds are often just parked directly in doorways to make you either have to flip your lantern on and burn a match or run around. just slow down a tiny bit as you approach doorways and such

P1’s only flaw is the copy/pasted content in the changeling path. P2’s only flaw is N/A, it’s doing all it sets out to do and perfectly at that

p1 has some kinda dumb stuff, like throwing knife bandits and no running. agreed on P2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Verviticus posted:

more specifically, plague clouds are often just parked directly in doorways to make you either have to flip your lantern on and burn a match or run around.

BTW I tried this once and the cloud 'exploded' and hit me anyway instead of dissipating so be careful about that also

The only thing that really pissed me off was the instant kill I had no way to stop since it was a ohko through blocking though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the lantern keeps them away, it doesnt kill them. you have to keep the lantern on for the entire time you travel through where the cloud is, because as soon as you turn the lantern off the cloud can hit you again

RBA Starblade posted:

The only thing that really pissed me off was the instant kill I had no way to stop since it was a ohko through blocking though.

maybe a bug? ive never been hurt for more than 20-30% by one of those three stab motions if im facing the guy and i spent like 5 hours a night beating up looters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Verviticus posted:

the lantern keeps them away, it doesnt kill them. you have to keep the lantern on for the entire time you travel through where the cloud is, because as soon as you turn the lantern off the cloud can hit you again

maybe a bug? ive never been hurt for more than 20-30% by one of those three stab motions if im facing the guy and i spent like 5 hours a night beating up looters

I didn't even walk through it! I was waiting to see if it'd dissolve then it started to and expanded.

That's a p nasty bug if so for the mugger, everyone else has done pretty minor damage at least.

e: Ugh I'm pretty sure I need to restart actually, the sand plague's depleted me too much. At least I know to run from babies now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 5, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

Nah, I've also had knife-thugs kill me in a single combo.

[edit]Wish it was a bug though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Knives are really dangerous and can go from harmless to lethal in like one unlucky stab. Quite realistic in that way. :v:

Also is it just me or is the soldier AI broken? They can't handle other NPCs fighting them at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rolled back from 6 to 4 let's see how this works out lol

MiddleOne posted:

Knives are really dangerous and can go from harmless to lethal in like one unlucky stab. Quite realistic in that way. :v:

Also is it just me or is the soldier AI broken? They can't handle other NPCs fighting them at all.

The guards at least get owned every single time if you don't help. They also loot the bodies before you can if you do help them.

e: lol the baby-infection route was what got me things that mattered in the fund lol

Actually how DO caches work? I stopped getting notifications for them - did you have to leave something for everything you take out or just put a single item in? I stumbled on only one other using the dragonfly eye which had a couple items but that's it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 5, 2019

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is there an alternate solution to the whole termitary thing that doesn't require fighting multiple odonghs

If nobody knows, please give me combat tips

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I've tried to do the caches, and I would put 1 - 1 item back for every item taken and I would still eat massive poo poo for gauge drain so :shrug:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If nobody knows, please give me combat tips

Sneak up behind the first two worm dudes and thump them in the back, then un-sneak and use regular punches to stunlock them to death.

This works for the first two, but after the herb brides area there will be a place with 3 patrolling worms.

I died here like 5 times, so take this advice with a pinch of salt, but I lured them one after another to the second worms passage and beat them up. This is rough though, because if you pull two at once you’re hosed and their AI seems to notice you at random. (Apparently you can just stab them much more efficiently with the herb brides dagger. Whoops. I never figured that out.)

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Artemy's healing method with his custom tintures is so specific that I can't help but wonder how Daniel and Clara will do it. Maybe their eventual playthrough won't be as focused on treating the sick, but then they still need to keep characters alive somehow. Maybe Clara's will involve sacrificing extras to gain the power to save the actors?