Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too feels like a Disney channel original movie with swearing. I really thought it might start going somewhere when the plug was pulled, but no, it was a fake out and they played the wacky caper climax straight all the way to the end.

I dunno, I thought it was awesome.

Now I want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too feels like a Disney channel original movie with swearing. I really thought it might start going somewhere when the plug was pulled, but no, it was a fake out and they played the wacky caper climax straight all the way to the end.

I didn't like it but I think it's nice that they can step outside of their comfort zone and do an episode like this if they want to. And actually the episode is about creative freedom anyway. :thunk:

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
At the second episode I did get teary-eyed. Near the end I thought he would ask for the number of every creator of every social media platform to personally give out his screed to, seeing how he has the position to get it - leading towards a dark parody of people who yell at tech moguls for destroying society. But that didn't happen. Black mirror really lost its teeth nowadays

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Man, I was getting ready to start tearing up at Cyrus singing a really long and sad Right Where it Belongs complete with all the hoo hoos at the end and they didn't even do it...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
On striking vipers I couldn't tell did the main character actually like kissing his friend and he was just brushing it off in response? Or did he actually not feel anything, which is why he could have "consequence-free" sex with chun li one day a month and still feel emotionally connected to his wife?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 6, 2019

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too The thing that bothered me the most was the name drop of a bunch of NIN adjacent bands like Pixies and Sonic Youth but somehow Nine Inch Nails didn't exist

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

No Wave posted:

On striking vipers I couldn't tell did the main character actually like kissing his friend and he was just brushing it off in response? Or did he actually not feel anything, which is why he could have "consequence-free" sex with chun li one day a month and still feel emotionally connected to his wife?

I read it as the fact that they are actually in love with one another but feel trapped by how they're "supposed" to live. Striking Vipers is a way for them to fulfill their emotional needs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The tech guy was Topher Grace??? Jeez I did not see that.

EDIT: Lol nice to get a silly fun season. No idea how they came up with this stuff but it was way more enjoyable than bandersnatch. Glad they went off brand a bit for this one, havent really been too into BM since like... nosedive.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 6, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The most unrealistic part of Striking Vipers is the idea that it wouldn't be designed as a sex thing

I assume the majority of the game is everyone is just loving in it.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Loved this season.

Striking Vipers didn’t go where I expected it to, but it was really fun. The ending was cute.

Smithereens: It’s cute to see non-American police try to avoid using force.

RJA: The title puts Rachael and Jack at the top. I liked the main story sorta being about this girl building up her confidence, but the B story with her sister really stood out. The story was fanciful, but fun.

e- ^^^ ”I even hosed a polar bear!!”

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I didn't clue in that Ashley's pop song was just a pop rework of Head Like a Hole until far too late, I'm ashamed to say.

Though it was on the tip of my tongue that "I'd heard this before somewhere....".

Awful episode, but hey, 2/3 is pretty good for a Black Mirror season!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is Striking Vipers hated so much by critics? I thought it touched on some interesting topics. I also loved the ending.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So Karl and Danny are just nutting in their jeans over and over right

goddamnit dudes thats gross

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Can't believe Striking Vipers didn't have the reveal that the game characters have real personalities and are fully conscious while they are forced to have sex

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: episode 3 what is with everyone casually copy-pasting entire minds in every BM story like it's almost an after-thought. The creation of artificial life, just a by-product of a coder being lazy. :v:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

These definitely feel weaker than previous episodes. Mind you, Shut Up And Dance and White Bear are probably my favourites so I guess I like soul-crushing TV.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Twerkdad posted:

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too The thing that bothered me the most was the name drop of a bunch of NIN adjacent bands like Pixies and Sonic Youth but somehow Nine Inch Nails didn't exist
I think that's the joke; it's not our Earth but a world a lot like it where NIN never existed

Vanderdeath posted:

I read [Striking Vipers] as the fact that they are actually in love with one another but feel trapped by how they're "supposed" to live. Striking Vipers is a way for them to fulfill their emotional needs.
I agree that this is the correct reading.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anybody notice the actress who played Roxette in Striking Vipers also played Mantis in Guardians Of The Galaxy? I didn't know before but Mantis is kinda hot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I remember there's that shot early on in striking vipers where danny stares for too long at that woman's buttcrack. And the opening part of the ep where they're playing pretend pick-up. Its like the problem is more the distance in Danny's relationship with his wife than anything, and the video game offering incredibly convenient chun li sex to the person he's closest with is what made the problem really come to a head in an ok but not great marriage.

That said... the rain part. I saw it as Danny for sure feeling something and Karl not feeling anything. It's like danny enjoyed having virtual sex with someone he was close to because he felt emotionally close to them, and karl enjoyed having virtual sex with someone he was close to because it made the sex better. Idk it was a really fun resolution either way.

Buuuut the shots of depressed karl and karl buying a cat and committing to being single probably just means they were both lying and were just gay for each other.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 6, 2019

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I mean, Karl started the kissing in the game, and he's doing it with a man whichever way you slice it. I think they probably were in love with each other a bit, but by the end the in-game experience had alienated them from that as well

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I prefer the version of the episode where neither of them enjoyed kissing each other irl, danny's acting is the only reason I havent totally embraced it. Maybe I will anyways it's more fun that way.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

I remember there's that shot early on in striking vipers where danny stares for too long at that woman's buttcrack. And the opening part of the ep where they're playing pretend pick-up. Its like the problem is more the distance in Danny's relationship with his wife than anything, and the video game offering incredibly convenient chun li sex to the person he's closest with is what made the problem really come to a head in an ok but not great marriage.

That said... the rain part. I saw it as Danny for sure feeling something and Karl not feeling anything. It's like danny enjoyed having virtual sex with someone he was close to because he felt emotionally close to them, and karl enjoyed having virtual sex with someone he was close to because it made the sex better. Idk it was a really fun resolution either way.

Buuuut the shots of depressed karl and karl buying a cat and committing to being single probably just means they were both lying and were just gay for each other.

I felt like it was making a comment on how difficult sexual orientation can be even for those involved. My interpretation was that Danny isn't "gay" in the traditional sense, he has no sexual desire for man / the male body (note: there is never a role reversal, both stay only in their female/male game characters so they actively choose a certain identity although Karl said he did some experimentation so it's less defined for him) but he does "love" his friend Karl and the sex change in the game suddenly opens up an opportunity which would never be available in RL because of the physical restrictions and I think the scene in the rain is supposed to show exactly that (there is no "chemistry" which is why Karl goes back to telling him it's different in the game).
Danny is simply not attracted by Karl in the physical world (at least not in a physical way) while it's less clear cut for Karl (note: he makes a remark about Danny's physical condition earlier in the episode). Karl is also the one who initiated the whole scenario in the first place and it is easy to see that he always had certain feelings for Danny (his artificial relationships and trying to "stay in the game" are another hint).
It's the (old) question of "would you gently caress your best friend or be in a relationship with them if he/she were of the opposite gender?" I mean that's often a trope in male/female friendships (and probably why there are few genuine deep friendships between the sexes or why the "gay female friend" trope exists) and usually a source of big tension.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

LinkesAuge posted:

I felt like it was making a comment on how difficult sexual orientation can be even for those involved. My interpretation was that Danny isn't "gay" in the traditional sense, he has no sexual desire for man / the male body (note: there is never a role reversal, both stay only in their female/male game characters so they actively choose a certain identity although Karl said he did some experimentation so it's less defined for him) but he does "love" his friend Karl and the sex change in the game suddenly opens up an opportunity which would never be available in RL because of the physical restrictions and I think the scene in the rain is supposed to show exactly that (there is no "chemistry" which is why Karl goes back to telling him it's different in the game).
Danny is simply not attracted by Karl in the physical world (at least not in a physical way) while it's less clear cut for Karl (note: he makes a remark about Danny's physical condition earlier in the episode). Karl is also the one who initiated the whole scenario in the first place and it is easy to see that he always had certain feelings for Danny (his artificial relationships and trying to "stay in the game" are another hint).
It's the (old) question of "would you gently caress your best friend or be in a relationship with them if he/she were of the opposite gender?" I mean that's often a trope in male/female friendships (and probably why there are few genuine deep friendships between the sexes or why the "gay female friend" trope exists) and usually a source of big tension.

This is how I read it too. Karl was always the one who escalated things and also was the first to say "I love you" so I'm pretty confident the writers wanted to imply that Karl was definitely into it on more levels than Danny.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Croatoan posted:

Anybody notice the actress who played Roxette in Striking Vipers also played Mantis in Guardians Of The Galaxy? I didn't know before but Mantis is kinda hot.

I'm curious if it was a specific choice to have the four 'main' characters (Danny and Karl, their player characters) all be actors from superhero movies? It may have been just a coincidence, but:

Anthony Mackie: Falcon
Pom Klementieff: Mantis
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II: Black Manta
Ludi Lin: Black Power Ranger (I'm still counting it)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Denouement of Striking Vipers shoulda been Karl finally transitioning IRL. Come on bud, I bet the medical tech for it is even better in the future.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Croatoan posted:

Weird that an actress in a big budget movie would be hot. Also Pom Klementieff sounds like the name of some kind of citrus fruit.

That's all I've got for now, thanks for your patience!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Twerkdad posted:

I found that whole angle really distracting. I spent most of the episode wondering when the shoe was gonna' drop about Ashley or her aunt just stealing and repurposing pop songs from 40 years ago, and when it kept on not happening, but they kept playing the song, I was like, "so did they just not realize they ripped off NIN?" And then the reveal was just that Nine Inch Nails didn't exist. It didn't add to the narrative. It distracted me from enjoying it as much as I otherwise would have.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just watched Black Museum from last season and holy cow is it hosed up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Denouement of Striking Vipers shoulda been Karl finally transitioning IRL. Come on bud, I bet the medical tech for it is even better in the future.
loving THIS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I just watched Black Museum from last season and holy cow is it hosed up.
That whole episode I wanted the curator to be Adam Conover for some reason.

Edit: Sorry. Doublepost.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Imagine that boardroom meeting at the Striking Vipers dev studio:

"We've decided that all our fighting game characters should have fully modeled and functional genitalia."

"Even the polar bear?"

"Especially the polar bear."

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ymgve posted:

"We've decided that all our fighting game characters should have fully modeled and functional genitalia."

"Even the polar bear?"

“Can we get Shuma-Gorath in as DLC?”

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Call of duty VR but its you just banging your bros in some middle eastern desert instead of capturing the flag

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Bandersnatch Emmy tidbit

quote:

A number of episodic anthology series will compete as TV movies, among them Amazon's The Romanoffs: End of the Line. Netflix argues that Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is a film as opposed to an installment from the series' most recent season, but the only real difference is that Bandersnatch viewers were able to pick from several endings. So which version of Bandersnatch will be on the ballot? Netflix tells THR that it submitted an 83-minute one featuring Charlie Brooker's handpicked ending.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Finished watching all three episodes.

Striking Vipers: I like that there is some ambiguity with the kissing IRL scene. I had a conversation with a friend where he was convinced they really didn't feel anything for each other and I thought it could go either way, where they were lying about it IRL because it's a lot weirder there than in a video game. Er, in a world where loving in VR exists, anyway. Not really the happiest ending since Karl just ended up getting a cat and waiting for his one day with the one guy he felt a connection with. I do feel like there's something to be said about someone who won't let go "THE BEST EVER" experience and kind of wastes their life chasing after that high, but whatever...

Smithereens: I'm not sure what I think about this one. Like yeah, dude's crazy, we're all attached to our phones, but texting and driving is a big no-no and it's literally his fault for doing it, so what do you want the owner of the big app company to do about it dummy? I did like how the woman from the group who lost her daughter got the password at the end, and of course we will have no idea what she will find, so it parallels how she thought she'd never figure it out and the audience will similarly never know. Hell even with the password it may have been better for her not to know (hence the gunshot at the same time she logs in).

Ashley Too: I actually thought this one was the most satisfying to watch. I felt for the two sisters in their kinda broken up family, the younger one just wanting a friend/looking up to an idol. It did get a bit cheesy when they "unlocked" the toy and all the stuff that followed but hey Ashley got her comeuppance with the help of two sisters so. I guess the ending was the most satisfying but that also kind of takes it further away from what used to make Black Mirror, Black Mirror, if that makes sense...

Overall I'm happy to still keep watching Black Mirror, but none of the episodes really feel like they compare to 15 million merits or white bear.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

"Even the polar bear?"

Are you trying to argue that this isn't something Team Ninja would do?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I found it kinda weird that in the first episode They only used the default characters. That's a bit boring. At least Karl experimented a bit off screen. But come on, the other guy didn't even try the woman experience, even though it's apparently quite interesting.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Clocks posted:

Finished watching all three episodes.
Smithereens: I'm not sure what I think about this one. Like yeah, dude's crazy, we're all attached to our phones, but texting and driving is a big no-no and it's literally his fault for doing it, so what do you want the owner of the big app company to do about it dummy? I did like how the woman from the group who lost her daughter got the password at the end, and of course we will have no idea what she will find, so it parallels how she thought she'd never figure it out and the audience will similarly never know. Hell even with the password it may have been better for her not to know (hence the gunshot at the same time she logs in).

But is it fully his fault? If we're so conditioned to look at our phones when they make happy noises and we get constant positive reinforcement from likes that we just instinctively grab the phone even in inappropriate situations, aren't we more like drug addicts waiting for the next "fix"?

Also, from an IT perspective, it really annoys me that the company was able to give her the actual password instead of just a password reset link, because you are not supposed to store plain passwords, but of course lots of companies still do.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are you trying to argue that this isn't something Team Ninja would do?

Oh they definitely would. Not sure the publishers would be happy about it, though.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I found it kinda weird that in the first episode They only used the default characters. That's a bit boring. At least Karl experimented a bit off screen. But come on, the other guy didn't even try the woman experience, even though it's apparently quite interesting.

That irked me too. Why should he ask and be told what an orgasm feels like for a virtual girl? He's one character select away from experiencing it himself!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ymgve posted:

Also, from an IT perspective, it really annoys me that the company was able to give her the actual password instead of just a password reset link, because you are not supposed to store plain passwords, but of course lots of companies still do.

I chalk that up to narrative convenience. It was also kinda cool. The first second you see the password, you assume it's just a random key string, the daughter made up. In other words the mothers attempts were completely futile. But then it's in that photo, so she actually might have tried it out at some point. Getting an email with a password reset link would be a bit anticlimatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

Oh they definitely would. Not sure the publishers would be happy about it, though.

When the game pulls GTA V levels of sales they will.