Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Super No Vacancy posted:

is there a wiki that has these particular soundtracks listed in english so i can compare

https://vgmdb.net is how I find soundtracks and also neat arrange albums and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Merilan posted:

If you have it on Steam can't you do Verify Steam Files which would revert your FF7 directory back to default

I finished NT but last time I just deleted it to save space so I have no specific instructions sorry

gave it a shot... didn't work out. all the visual changes are gone, but the math and feature changes are still there.

love to do 100 damage per attack at the start of the game, and then 100 damage by the time i'm lv20 in the shinra building, and presumably 100 damage by the end of the game as well. love that equipping Elemental materia reduces your defenses by 15, and that there's basically no linear logic to the armors and they're either "good defensively but worthless materia-wise" or "crap defensively but they do give a meager +10 to one stat. oh and look at this one with a funny description! hah! hah! hah!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cool Ghost made a decent argument that FF8s story isn't complete horseshit, but none of it comes through in-game, so I'm going to say FF8 has a decent story marred by terrible writing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

New Threat is much more fun to me than OG FF7 so I guess ymmv

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like that's uh... not equal.

FF7 is the story of a small town boy who accidentally gets infected with space alien juice after his best friend, a super soldier also infected with space alien juice, is forced into a death fight against the best super soldier who is the son of a mad scientist, a less mad scientist, and a space alien. Said friend dies and space alien juice makes the boy think he is his friend upon which he joins an eco-terrorist organization to fight an evil corporation via terrorist bombings which brings him into contact with his friend's girlfriend who is also the last living descendant of an ancient race who can speak to the planet, which is alive...

Meanwhile FF8 is the story of a boy fighting an evil time witch.

(You get the idea.)
I think the point is "We have to go fight this Evil Time Witch" doesn't quite resonate as much on a base emotional level as "Sephiroth killed my girlfriend, now I'm gonna get revenge" since that's an easy to understand motivation.

Aeris' death gives you a basic, simple goal to follow throughout FF7 even if you don't understand space alien juice super soldier and terrorist shenanigans that are going on very well. I don't think FF8 ever quite gives you as clear of a driving emotional motivation to go kill Evil Time Witch who I'm sure has a name I'll be able to eventually remember- perhaps this lack of one explains why theories like Squall is Dead or R=U caught on.

Though tbh I paid more attention to Triple Triad than FF8's story anyways. You wanna go for a round?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 6, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah they mention the Lunar Cry super early along with the whole theres a goddamn space witch prison early on but in material nobody deals with.

People will talk about Christmas in September or October but apparently nobody on FFVIIi's planet cares about monsters falling from the moon in a week.

The Lunar Cry is not some minor factoid that should be tucked away. More than the actual story or the events and characters in it, the worldbuilding and storytelling are what kill VIII for me.

Raxivace posted:

I think the point is "We have to go fight this Evil Time Witch" doesn't quite resonate as much on a base emotional level as "Sephiroth killed my girlfriend, now I'm gonna get revenge" since that's an easy to understand motivation.

Aeris' death gives you a basic, simple goal to follow throughout FF7 even if you don't understand space alien juice super soldier and terrorist shenanigans that are going on very well. I don't think FF8 ever quite gives you as clear of a driving emotional motivation to go kill Evil Time Witch who I'm sure has a name I'll be able to eventually remember- perhaps this lack of one explains why theories like Squall is Dead or R=U caught on.

Though tbh I paid more attention to Triple Triad than FF8's story anyways. You wanna go for a round?

Probably be cause Evil Time Witch has as much functional presence in the narrative as Zemus which is to say none at all. R eally is the perfect comparison since everybody loves and remembers Golbez and Edea but hates to remember that they were controlled by Moon Men or Time Witches.

R=U was a valiant attempt to give the main villain something like a personality or to get players invested in stopping her.

Squall is Dead meanwhile is just saying "gently caress it, this game i s hopeless, let's just make up whatever."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

New Threat is much more fun to me than OG FF7 so I guess ymmv

please dont encourage me to lay into that piece of poo poo but suffice to say it's an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

question for anyone who knows FF7 New Threat: how do you uninstall it? i uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but the mod seems to persist. i thought i'd give it another try but it just fuckin sucks, everything about it is amateur hour bullshit. the mod creator, naturally, doesn't describe how to uninstall this mod in any of his documentation.

I don't know, but the creator of the mod answers questions every day on the mod's official forum so maybe just register and ask him

I'm playing NT at the moment and I'm pretty surprised by how much you don't like it. I've found it a lot of fun, decently challenging but not too hard and with a nice balance of familiarity and changes. I actually can't really imagine going back to the original game now, it's just too simple and it's never worth using like 70% of the materia in the game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well I did register. Now I need to wait for a moderator to approve of my post asking for instructions to uninstall it. It's been in the queue for hours. gg qhimm.

I think the penalties for equipping... well, anything, are way too high. All -> Magic -5? This is already in addition to All applying a multi-target power split. Yes I do want to be penalized for equipping Steal, or Counterattack, Morph, etc. thank you. It seems completely arbitrary, why does Barrier materia, a spell that's arguably one of the most powerful and useful things in the game, INCREASE your stats across the board when everything else gives you penalties of the same size?

It removes stat increases at level up and replaces them with a stupid point buy system that has an arbitrarily low limit to how many times you can even increase your stats. The whole point of gaining stats on leveling in the vanilla game was to offset the penalties you got from equipping materia, but those penalties have only increased without some kind of counterbalance (originally, materia typically increases your magic stats at the expense of your physical stats; now generally the only boost you get is +5%MP). But thanks to this idiotic system, your stats basically just go down, and down, and down, and you get interesting new materias and you get penalized for using them even harder than usual. Great design!

It gives you a bunch of crap equipment that's never an upgrade. "High defense" but no linked materia slots. It's always some stupid double edged sword bullshit, "this armor has zero defense and next to no evasion but it gives you a boost to one stat that's so insignificant it'll barely increase your damage output by 10 points!" The Bronze Bangles you start with are the most useful pieces of equipment I've seen so far, that's TERRIBLE design. I've gotten about seven different pieces of armor so far and they all suck poo poo. Good job disincentivizing exploring your mod's changes. Why should I look for anything when all of it so far has been absolute garbage?

Enemies keep getting more and more HP, but everything about this mod seems to live on the edge of double-digit margins, so you end up fighting random encounters with nearly 1000hp but your actual output is still in the low 100s, same as it was during the bombing mission. You can use magic but unless you're hitting an elemental weakness, you're doing--you guessed it!--about 100 damage per hit. The encounters aren't hard. They barely drain my resources, but they take forever. Yeah punching this completely defenseless enemy who can barely do 100 damage himself back and forth for three minutes is soooooo engaging.

The changes document says something about "Morph being very useful if you use it on bosses," but I tell you every boss I've killed with Morph so far just has a scripted death and I don't get poo poo. So that's fun.

Like this isn't a hard mod. The new encounters are... well, it's nice that they exist, and they're sort of funny I guess, but they're so banal and boring I might as well just play vanilla and trample over everything because the difficulty is exactly the same, but at least that way I'll be spending a tenth as much time in battle. And of course the added optional stuff gives you rewards that sound interesting at the moment you get them but when you actually look at them in the menu they're just strategically inferior crap. The dev has too much of a hardon for lovely equipment that sounds like it might be useful but in-engine their bonuses are utterly miniscule and worth far less than what you sacrifice to get them--he's the definition of an "on paper" dev who crunched all the numbers properly but then has no idea what the gently caress his game looks like in action.

tl;dr, my gripe basically boils down to the fact that you never feel like you've progressed even a single step. I'm Lv21 right now and I'm doing the exact same damage as I was doing at Lv7. That should never happen. But it has, and that's why I must uninstall this awful mod. It's irredeemable diarrhea straight from the dev's rear end in a top hat to your mouth.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i mostly enjoy it for guard scorpion-chan doesn't give up

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is there a wiki that has these particular soundtracks listed in english so i can compare

Wikipedia itself should have the majority of the tracklists, try going to each game's Wiki page and look for OSTs.

There's probably easier-to-parse and easier-to-find lists on websites focused on cataloging gaming soundtracks, but I don't know which of those are the best.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mega64 posted:

This will completely change my drive to/from work.

I sometimes drive to work listening to Uematsu's FFVII Piano Collection.

That album is great, although One Winged Angel on the piano does sound a bit...off.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

For unusual versions I gotta recommend the Songbook. A walk after rain (Descendent of Shinobi) is super chill.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

tl;dr, my gripe basically boils down to the fact that you never feel like you've progressed even a single step. I'm Lv21 right now and I'm doing the exact same damage as I was doing at Lv7. That should never happen. But it has, and that's why I must uninstall this awful mod. It's irredeemable diarrhea straight from the dev's rear end in a top hat to your mouth.

I legit do'nt know what you're talking about cause I've beaten ANT and like your numbers go up like every other RPG. Your other main complaint is weird cause Yeah no all materia and equipment are meant to be used to build characters in what specific way you want. The reasons they are never straight upgrades is because they're all meant to be usuable to define builds if you need them.

It's why all the numbers buffs and penalties are so loving big.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Leal posted:

I drive to final fantasy music in FF15, now I can drive to final fantasy music IRL.

FF15, the most realistic final fantasy.

I just wish there was actually a whole remix album to go with that rad Chocobo song.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

R=U was a valiant attempt to give the main villain something like a personality or to get players invested in stopping her.

R=U is a stupid theory and never made any sense, even before the creators denied it. you want to drop her because you don't want the world to end, and her personality is that she's afraid and angry because people hate sorceresses so she's trying to get people to leave her alone, permanently

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

One specific minor issue turns me off of A New Threat, even though I’ve never played it. Back when I was 12, or whatever, I thought it was a cool bit of storytelling that Cloud’s stats are in general all super good and he has no real weaknesses compared to the other characters. The story presents him as a really powerful fighter and he is. If I recall, A New Threat makes all the characters have the same average stat distribution. It’s a small issue, and understandable from the perspective of wanting to give players a reason to not take Cloud, but it does disservice to the story. Why wouldn’t people just scoff at Cloud if he tells them he’s ex-SOLDIER if he’s no better at fighting than they are? I’d be worried that sort of insensitivity would seep into other aspects of the mods design.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

R=U is a stupid theory and never made any sense, even before the creators denied it. you want to drop her because you don't want the world to end, and her personality is that she's afraid and angry because people hate sorceresses so she's trying to get people to leave her alone, permanently

It'd give her personal stakes, which is always good with a villain, and make it an interesting tie in to the central romance and kinship theme of the game if Time Kompression fixes her crippling loneliness by making it so that her true love and her younger self co-exist at the same point in time and thus she doesn't grow into the person who wants to push everyone away.

That said it doesn't really matter because FF8 is a goddamn rollercoaster that in the last 15 minutes introduces some wild poo poo like facial memory based teleportation.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite FF8 moment is the glitchy infinitely replicated save point during TIME KOMPRESSION

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Heithinn Grasida posted:

One specific minor issue turns me off of A New Threat, even though I’ve never played it. Back when I was 12, or whatever, I thought it was a cool bit of storytelling that Cloud’s stats are in general all super good and he has no real weaknesses compared to the other characters. The story presents him as a really powerful fighter and he is. If I recall, A New Threat makes all the characters have the same average stat distribution. It’s a small issue, and understandable from the perspective of wanting to give players a reason to not take Cloud, but it does disservice to the story. Why wouldn’t people just scoff at Cloud if he tells them he’s ex-SOLDIER if he’s no better at fighting than they are? I’d be worried that sort of insensitivity would seep into other aspects of the mods design.

Seems a bit like splitting hairs when Cloud starts the game at level 5 or whatever anyway. He's not some super soldier from the get go in battle terms because the game wouldn't work that way.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Anyway I'm still playing NT and I'm a little bit annoyed because I got a gold chocobo for the first time (I've played the game at least 5 times) and it turns out all the materia is gated behind bullshit bosses that I can't beat :(

I mean I guess my party just isn't strong enough yet, but I wanted the materia now!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Anyway I'm still playing NT and I'm a little bit annoyed because I got a gold chocobo for the first time (I've played the game at least 5 times) and it turns out all the materia is gated behind bullshit bosses that I can't beat :(

I mean I guess my party just isn't strong enough yet, but I wanted the materia now!

ganbatte, paperhouse

white dragon your arguments are kind of nonsense but you shouldn't play it if you aren't enjoying it and saying kind of weirdly hostile stuff about diarrhea and mouths

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

HD DAD posted:

My favorite FF8 moment is the glitchy infinitely replicated save point during TIME KOMPRESSION

I still love the battle backgrounds slowly melting during that entire sequence.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Paperhouse posted:

Seems a bit like splitting hairs when Cloud starts the game at level 5 or whatever anyway. He's not some super soldier from the get go in battle terms because the game wouldn't work that way.

The whole point is that Cloud is not actually a trained super soldier. He’s lying about that. But he is a supernaturally powerful fighter anyway. His stats just being higher than everyone else’s reinforces that.

As I said, it’s a minor point, but I don’t think it would have ruined the balance of the mod to make Cloud’s lowest stats average instead of low in keeping with the original game, either.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cloud is a mentally-healthy, upbeat individual. 20 minutes after his friend and possible love-interest died Cloud went snowboarding.

Does anyone have that comic where Cloud doesn't take the dress off?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Keep in mind that prior to his mako infusion and Jenova injections Cloud was impaled through the torso and not only lived through that but picked the sword and Sephiroth and Jenova head up with it, and swung them so hard against a wall they fell into the lifestream. The people saying Cloud isn't supposed to be a badass are full of poo poo.

EDIT: Actually nevermind I forgot that there are no less than 3 different versions, possibly 4, of how that encounter went down and they are all different from one another.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 6, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

FF8 is great because you can break the game easily by following these simple steps:
  • Use the events up to and including the SeeD exam to learn Card & Card mod.
  • Use the lamp and acquire Diablos.
  • Instead of heading to the train and shooting off to Timber, head to the Balamb coast and card the gently caress out of Fastiticolon Fs. This will net you 6AP per battle and no EXP (so no levelling up). Incidentally through refinement this will net you a shitload of Water spells that work well junctioned to Strength at this stage.
  • While you're at it, go and card some Bombs back at the Fire Cavern. These will help greatly in Triple Triad.
  • Keep fighting Fastiticolon Fs and learning GF abilities until you get bored. Why not head to Balamb Garden and win some card games?
  • Couple of hours of this should have all the basic stat junctions unlocked as well as some other goodies such as Enc-Half.
  • Go forth and destroy

I'm a couple of hours into disc 3 and my highest level character is level 17 (with 100 Ultimas junctioned to STR w/ STR+40% for shits and giggles). You do miss out on some higher level spells but you honestly don't need them because you smash the poo poo out of everything.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Get the Quistis Card from a fanboy and mod it into 180 triple spells and junction them into strength.

Grind for Elnoyle cards from players, mod the Brothers card into adamantine, and farm the Grendel's for fangs so you can Squall's best weapon in disc 1 or 2. Same for Zell and Selphie.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gologle posted:

Keep in mind that prior to his mako infusion and Jenova injections Cloud was impaled through the torso and not only lived through that but picked the sword and Sephiroth and Jenova head up with it, and swung them so hard against a wall they fell into the lifestream. The people saying Cloud isn't supposed to be a badass are full of poo poo.

EDIT: Actually nevermind I forgot that there are no less than 3 different versions, possibly 4, of how that encounter went down and they are all different from one another.

Hilariously the generally accepted canon version is the one from Before Crisis, a game that was never released outside of Japan.

It makes more sense Sephiroth willingly jumping into the Lifestream, knowing it won't kill him and will actually make him stronger.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbf having mulitple different versions of the same event is at least thematic with ff7

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

FF8 is great because you can break the game easily by following these simple steps:
  • Use the events up to and including the SeeD exam to learn Card & Card mod.
  • Use the lamp and acquire Diablos.
  • Instead of heading to the train and shooting off to Timber, head to the Balamb coast and card the gently caress out of Fastiticolon Fs. This will net you 6AP per battle and no EXP (so no levelling up). Incidentally through refinement this will net you a shitload of Water spells that work well junctioned to Strength at this stage.
  • While you're at it, go and card some Bombs back at the Fire Cavern. These will help greatly in Triple Triad.
  • Keep fighting Fastiticolon Fs and learning GF abilities until you get bored. Why not head to Balamb Garden and win some card games?
  • Couple of hours of this should have all the basic stat junctions unlocked as well as some other goodies such as Enc-Half.
  • Go forth and destroy

How to break FF6:

* Use magic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This dragon-fight minigame really pisses the take. You have to spam attack and hold defence, only the button inputs are incredibly slow, the dragon can attack with no tell.

There must a more graceful to extend a story instead of it turning out the old bad guy was being mind-controlled by another newly-introduced bad guy from the future.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 6, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There must a more graceful to extend a story instead of it turning out the old bad guy was being mind-controlled by another newly-introduced bad guy from the future.

Not in loving Final Fantasy!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

white dragon your arguments are kind of nonsense but you shouldn't play it if you aren't enjoying it and saying kind of weirdly hostile stuff about diarrhea and mouths

hi guess what that's what i'm trying to do but this mod is impossible to uninstall

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF7 is Sephiroth and the mods are Jenova cells.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mods knew???

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The White Dragon posted:

hi guess what that's what i'm trying to do but this mod is impossible to uninstall

Cursed video game. Let us know if you are still alive tomorrow.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I forget, does NT alter the Chocobo Sage any? When I was a kid first trying to get a Gold Chocobo in the regular game his gimmick of forgetting things and then remembering them again later on drove me loving crazy because of course I was young and dumb and ddin't understand what I had to do to progress. But I do remember in NT the creator changed the requirements for the sleeping man giving you the Mythril and stuff so you didn't have to waste time and just wondering if he did the same for the Sage.

But yeah I echo what others said. I can't play regular FFVII anymore. I need at least some hack or mod to enjoy it. It doesn't have to be NT, just so long as the game is modified in some way to make it more interesting to play.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
finally scrubbed new threat from my system. all is right in the world

if you like it that's fine, but there's nothing good about it to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The White Dragon posted:

finally scrubbed new threat from my system. all is right in the world

if you like it that's fine, but there's nothing good about it to me

what finally did it?