Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm thinking about starting Braquo, which from what I can tell is basically French The Shield. Anyone else bothered with it? It's on Hulu.

i watched the first and second season, I've been meaning to catch up on the rest. it's good. I think it's grittier than the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

The intros by Todd McFarlane were stupid on day one though

Nah, they're fine, honestly.

Like, they're corny, but they also kinda hammer home how the whole thing's a sincere passion project. Nobody would do that for a cash grab, and everything about them sells how much it's his baby.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The new Twin Peaks

I still can't find any show better than Top of the Lake, it's my high bar

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm on the second to last episode of The Office. I never watched it during it's initial run.....but I understand why it's such a well loved show. And the hatred for the last two seasons was really overblown. I get that Steve Carell leaving the show was a disappointment for fans......but I think the writing did not take a dip in quality. And was Robert California really that terrible of a character? He didn't even get THAT much screen time. I thought that Andy telling him off when he made his "winners" and "losers" list was definitely one of the best scenes of the entire series.....because all he could respond with was "I did not know those things.

Anyways.....good show. Glad I got around to it. I think Veep may be next on my list now that it's wrapped up.

I actually agree and loved Robert California. I never finished the Office when it originally aired and decided to binge through the whole series last year. The later seasons weren't nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I also loved Dwight's character development in the later seasons.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Good lord, Fleabag is so loving good. I want to shout it from the rooftops and make everyone watch it! I was planning on saving some episodes to watch for later and ended up blasting through both seasons in 1 weekend.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I missed Michael Scott and didn't really like Robert California but I still thought the later seasons of The Office were great. Maybe overall I liked them slightly less but there were plenty of funny episodes/moments in the later seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't hate the last few seasons of the Office but I think what was disappointing/down about them was just that most of the original characters and storylines (Pam/Jim, Dwight, Michael) had all kind of run their course and the stuff that replaced it like Andy/Erin and the Jim/Pam problems were redundant at best and unlikable at worst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Jim/Pam stuff was always forced and lovely (both when they were NutraSweet levels of happy and when they were "fighting"). Also Pam was right about everything and Jim was a constant rear end in a top hat that season. They should have gotten divorced and ended with Jim successful in his dream job, but miserable because it cost him his family, and Pam should have married the sound guy. Sound guy ruled.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The sound guy was the worst story line in The Office and I can't think of many worse story lines in other sitcoms.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought "The Farm" spin off attempt was worse. But not by much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The sound guy was the worst story line in The Office and I can't think of many worse story lines in other sitcoms.

Oh wow, I forgot about that. Terrrrrrrible.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

100% this. After that long....they decided to bring a character from the documentary crew into the show? Lame as poo poo bro.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The documentary crew concept for the show is something you often have to kind of tune out, because if you think about it at all it makes no sense, and you'll also frequently notice that they'll cut between two or three cameras filming the same conversation in a setup where it wouldn't be possible without seeing the other cameramen.

But that said, the show did commit to the concept to the very end. In the final season it had gotten pretty stale that I was actually genuinely surprised by the reveal of the camera crew appearing on camera. I think it could have worked. The stupid thing was teasing "oh no will Pam dump Jim for camera guy?" when she very obviously wont.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Just watched the second season of Cloak and Dagger. It's still bad, but a bit of a step up from its first season. There were noticeable efforts to make it less boring, both in directing and writing, but that does not outweigh the explainy dialogue, the mentally and emotionally retarded lead characters, the flimsy plot and all the little annoyances - someone apparently told Olivia Holt to talk like she's constipated to convey emotion, for instance.

Overall, I feel like it is trying to be about socially sensitive issues, so it fails to be the dumb fun it could be, but it also lacks the nuance and depth to effectively address such issues so it fails at that as well. The result is a bunch of characters talking like walking pamflets for their two-line bio, which is neither interesting or entertaining.

The arcade sequence was great, though.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Norse Code posted:

Good lord, Fleabag is so loving good. I want to shout it from the rooftops and make everyone watch it! I was planning on saving some episodes to watch for later and ended up blasting through both seasons in 1 weekend.

I’ve told every woman I know to watch this show and so far, all are exceptionally pleased.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
so i watched about 8 minutes of the new season of "the good girls." SPOILER ALERT ADVERT EYES. season 1 ended with the main protagonist and their husband at the mercy of the primary antagonist, being held at gun point. the primary antagonist slid the primary antagonist the gun and dared them to kill them. needless to say all three escaped the situation alive and i am done with a show which is clearly just jerking me around

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Binged the second season of Happy!, which was fun but lacked the story-driven high pace of the first season. You can see that the first season was written with the second in mind, but the time taken for explanations and set up makes it more meandering, and less compelling. The partnership between Happy and Nick, for instance, the forging of which was one of the driving forces in the first season, now feels somewhat neglected, and Happy's "solo" scenes do little to make up for that. Also, sober Nick trying to be responsible isn't making for very good plot advancement or credible character development.

The sheer madness of the characters, the violence and the occasional dance or dream sequence still make it a very entertaining watch, and I would have definitely watched a third season of it, but it got cancelled due to poor ratings. Hopefully someone else will pick it up and do good things with it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Chernobyl in a 24 hour period and hoooo poo poo that is some good TV.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Fleabag season 2, show is so good

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Just watched Chernobyl in a 24 hour period and hoooo poo poo that is some good TV.

Yeah it is seriously one of the best miniseries shows ever done. I'd put it up there with Band of Brothers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I recently rewatched the first season of Counterpart and then the second one, is a really interesting and well written scifi story, and JK Simons is awesome

I think it got cancelled, unfortunatelly, but these 2 seasons tell a complete story anyway, you wont be left in the middle of a cliffhanger

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I subbed to Acorn to catch up on Murdoch, what else should I watch. Already seen Poirot, Doc Martin, Rake, The Detectorists. Also the new Miss Marple but didn't like it. What are some other brilliant British series? Not too big on slow burn stuff

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm on a free trial kick these days so I grabbed an HBO free trial to binge pretty much all the entire series of Game of Thrones with my gf since she hadn't seen it yet.

After that was S1 and 2 of Barry, it was ok, but I can see why people thought it wasn't as fantastic as it wanted to be.

Then grabbed a Directvnow free week and binged S1 of Mr Mercedes, decided to skip S2 even though the reviews weren't bad but I heard it went in a more paranormal direction, but S1 was solid.

Followed that up with a Amcpremeire free trial and binge of NOS4A2, which was also pretty good, although I liked it more for the Zachary Quinto scenes and ended up just skipping some of the teen relationship subplots.

Finally just finished Chernobyl, great stuff obviously.

Not sure what's next maybe Condor or Kingdom.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 8, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Not sure what's next maybe Condor or Kingdom.

Both good. Couldn't be more different.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I loved Mr Mercedes. S2 was definitely not as strong as S1 because of the different direction it took but it grew on me. My only real complaint about S2 was the doctor's wife as she seemed pretty unnecessary to me and was just generally boring. The finale was a bit of a surprise and it was pretty fulfilling imo.

Really though the reason to watch the series at all is to see Brendan Gleeson as a rough and troubled ex-cop PI. The dude is always great but it seems like he had a lot of fun with this role. The supporting cast was pretty drat likeable... Harry Treadaway was really good as the titular character but the standouts to me were the Holly and Lou characters. Both actresses nailed those roles and Holly was a scene stealer.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to S3 which will supposedly be out sometime in late 2019. Given the S2 ending, I have no idea where they will go with it unless they introduce an entirely new antagonist since Mr Mercedes is presumably dead, but then would it have to be called something else? My understanding about the book series is that "Mr Mercedes" is just the first volume of the Bill Hodges trilogy. It'd be confusing to change the title for S3 but who knows!

E: how the gently caress did I not mention Kelly "ROADHOUSE" Lynch as one of the supporting actresses

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 8, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

Anywho, I'm looking forward to S3 which will supposedly be out sometime in late 2019. Given the S2 ending, I have no idea where they will go with it unless they introduce an entirely new antagonist since Mr Mercedes is presumably dead, but then would it have to be called something else? My understanding about the book series is that "Mr Mercedes" is just the first volume of the Bill Hodges trilogy. It'd be confusing to change the title for S3 but who knows!

I think it's a little ambiguous, but I figure they're keeping our Mr Mercedes alive in the body of Lou.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, that's the most obvious way of doing it but I really hope it's something different. Unless they get really creative with it I may not stick around for S3. On the other hand, seeing that actress play the part will definitely keep me interested.

e: regarding the finale we hadn't seen him directly infect anyone's psyche without the help of a computer of some sort (correct?) and although the last shot was of him staring dead-eyed at Lou I think it would be a stretch to sell that as him getting into her head. maybe I missed something though

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 8, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

regarding the finale we hadn't seen him directly infect anyone's psyche without the help of a computer of some sort (correct?) and although the last shot was of him staring dead-eyed at Lou I think it would be a stretch to sell that as him getting into her head. maybe I missed something though

I think it's not so much the screens themselves as it is their ability to place people into a suggestible state. So the combo of Lou's shock of Brady's death and her ongoing PTSD probably gave him an in, in the same way that his other two victims that season were both mentally vulnerable even before Brady got to them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rocksicles posted:

Both good. Couldn't be more different.

Care to expand on that a bit.

Some other options I have are Warrior, Killing Eve, and some Three Kingdoms thing on youtube.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 8, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Care to expand on that a bit.

Some other options I have are Warrior, Killing Eve, and some Three Kingdoms thing on youtube.

Well, one is about spys and poo poo in Washington DC and the other is about Korean zombies in the 1500's

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

wormil posted:

I subbed to Acorn to catch up on Murdoch, what else should I watch. Already seen Poirot, Doc Martin, Rake, The Detectorists. Also the new Miss Marple but didn't like it. What are some other brilliant British series? Not too big on slow burn stuff

Not British, but I liked Brokenwood Mysteries a lot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

wormil posted:

Killing Eve
Fleabag
Flowers

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah if any of you Fleabag fans haven't seen Crashing, you should. It's also written by and starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and is very good. Not quite as good as Fleabag, but that's an extremely high bar.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SaintFu posted:

Not British, but I liked Brokenwood Mysteries a lot.

Doesn't have to be British, just anything on Acorn, I'll check it out.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

dudemanbudguy posted:

I actually agree and loved Robert California. I never finished the Office when it originally aired and decided to binge through the whole series last year. The later seasons weren't nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I also loved Dwight's character development in the later seasons.

his exchange with Jim where he asks him if he wants a nature metaphor or a sexual one is one of my all-time favourite scenes from the show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wormil posted:

I, Claudius

Sian Phillips, John Hurt, Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart and Brian Blessed are in it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I, Claudius

Sian Phillips, John Hurt, Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart and Brian Blessed are in it.

The reviews are very positive, added to my list.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Watched What we do in the darkness. I was happy to see that, although they had more special effects and some great cameos, it remained true to the low key feel that made the movie so enjoyable. Lots of slapstick, good casting, unpretentious fun.

I was less enthusiastic about Good Omens. It is a testament to the performance of the lead actors and the writing of the late Terry Pratchett that the show is able to lift itself slightly higher than predictable mediocrity, and doesn't slip entirely into the boring drivel which that dweeb Gaiman produces. The show sticks too close to the book for its own good and feels too contrived when it doesn't, and the special effects are out of a poor man's Dr Who. A missed opportunity, I feel.

Warrior, on the other hand, felt very familiar as I had seen, and loved, Banshee: the characters, the odd actor (and easter egg), the ample nudity and outrageous violence, certain plot elements and themes... I did find that there were a bit too many characters and factions from the get go and the intrigue didn't always hold my attention, but I really liked how Bruce Lee shone through in the fighting styles, the occasional dialogue and situations. A good watch if you're into a lot of punching and kicking.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Did Banshee have a proper ending, or was it just cancelled out of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Did Banshee have a proper ending, or was it just cancelled out of nowhere?

It didn't get cancelled but the final season wasn't really up to par with the rest of it. Most characters get an ending in it, though, so it was pretty much wrapped up.