Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in what universe is the niva *rare*? they've been making them continuously, and largely unchanged, since 1977, and i can go out and buy a 2019 for ~$11,300 right now.

(they have terrible fuel economy and the transfer box basically screams continuously at you if you ever bring the car up to highway speeds)

they're rare in the US i take it

also

wikipedia posted:

In 2002, the Lada Niva was awarded zero stars out of a possible four by the modern Russian ARCAP safety-assessment program. The reviewer noted the very rugged body of the car as the only positive aspect in terms of safety. In the test, the passenger dummy was hit by the glove compartment hard enough to risk traumatic brain injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

they're rare in the US i take it

also

It's fun to joke about the new and stupid ways Tesla's are death machines, but there's just something special about the classics.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Theory: the boring company exists solely because Elon clicked Buy It Now on a tunnel boring machine mid-coke-binge “because sandworms??? Get it? Like in dune????” and then had to justify the purchase ex post facto

Nope! It is in fact a magnitude of times more stupid

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/810156881662590981

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/810126376871297024

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

is boring afrikaans/dutch, or do you call it like that in english?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've always assumed that "the boring company" is a joke name he thought of while drunk or high that got out of hand and became a real company

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yep. and one of the the first routes he proposed was part of his commute. he wants some private tunnels for himself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

someone photoshop the tesla logo on the button tia

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Im kinda glad I'm not rich enough to try to realize any idle thought that passes in my head to then be scrutinzed by people who have actual knowledge on the subject

Course, unlike Elon, I have the capacity for shame

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

mike12345 posted:

is boring afrikaans/dutch, or do you call it like that in english?

Boor = drill in Dutch.
Boren = drilling in Dutch.
Boring does not exist in Dutch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

It's 2% bone loss a month in space and the trip is 3 years right?

one way trip is a bit over 18 months, so probably ~30% bone loss.
our niva bought in the mid-90s also eventually acquired the feature where going over 100km/h would fold the driver side outside mirror for improved aerodynamics. there was no passenger side mirror. also, there's no synchroniser for the first gear, so getting it into first can be an experience if you get lucky.

still an amazing thing tho. it basically rusted itself apart at a bit over 15 years old, but it did close to 200k km, over half of which was driving through forests.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boring Company, or as we call it in German, the Boeringwerke.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
How the hell is Tesla back up over $200?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Thoguh posted:

it is down a lot since the last report, some bottom-fishing optimists are to be expected.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

It's 2% bone loss a month in space and the trip is 3 years right?

Truga posted:

one way trip is a bit over 18 months, so probably ~30% bone loss.

Round trip. Travel time each way is about 9 months with a Hohmann transfer orbit, you can do it in a little over 6 months if you're willing to burn more fuel.

This is one of the reasons NASA books space station missions to be about 6 months long.

Rastor has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Jun 6, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh oops, yeah i mixed that up sorry. Round trip isn't 18 months tho, since earth's not gonna be there anymore. IIRC the round trip is actually 3 years, since you have to wait at mars for alignment for another hohmann. How much extra dv for a 6 month trip tho? I don't think that's very feasible?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Truga posted:

Oh oops, yeah i mixed that up sorry. Round trip isn't 18 months tho, since earth's not gonna be there anymore. IIRC the round trip is actually 3 years, since you have to wait at mars for alignment for another hohmann. How much extra dv for a 6 month trip tho? I don't think that's very feasible?

Sorry, speaking only about travel times, not total mission time. The absolute worst radiation and low gravity issues are during the travel.

NASA thinks the 6 month trips are feasible, I haven't really read up on it in a while though :shrug:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why haven't they made spinning centrifugal living bits yet??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
not very practical due to the fact that you want to spend as little time as possible on the outer sides of the spacecraft to avoid as much radiation as possible

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It would be fun if they made a big spinning wheel lying on it's side somewhere on earth and people tried to live normally inside while it spun up to 1g

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would have to be more than 1G as the 1G of Earth would be one of the component vectors of the final vector.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uh we've all read Red Mars here, growing up on the red planet will just turn you into a sexy polyamorous 10 foot tall anarcho-communist.

If you survive multiple attempts by the multinational (now multiplanetary) corps to loving murder you it's a pretty swell life, yes.

(don't forget immortal and anarcho-primitivist :v: Man, it's such a good trilogy. )

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

number go up for a bit, but it'll be a pyrrhic victory

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1136620665031790592?s=19

Tesla is slashing prices to move metal. Margins are toast and they'll still miss their Q2 target of 90000 cars. But they need to keep the lights on for the next month, not worry about the next earnings report.

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1136597640144150530?s=19

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Altered Carbon author Richard K Morgan’s latest Thin Air is set on a Mars not terraformed but with one of the big canyon rifts glassed over, and it’s typically Morgan-bitter about megacorp capitalism running unchecked. The protagonist is a bit Kovacs-with-filed-serial-numbers but I enjoyed it enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It would be fun if they made a big spinning wheel lying on it's side somewhere on earth and people tried to live normally inside while it spun up to 1g

Be the change you want to see in the world.

https://usedrides.com/rides/212677

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Truga posted:

not very practical due to the fact that you want to spend as little time as possible on the outer sides of the spacecraft to avoid as much radiation as possible

You’re probably not going to get a good enough shield to block the Galactic Cosmic Rays anyway, so I would say spin em up. You keep the protected inner part of the spacecraft specifically for solar storms (which will cook you very quickly).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The borrow at IBKR is getting pretty tight right now.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Rmeember this lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1040142708453457926

I'm assuming that never happened because he didn't know you can't just turn any rock into a brick?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

zegermans posted:

Rmeember this lol

I'm assuming that never happened because he didn't know you can't just turn any rock into a brick?

I assume he assumed seismic rating because it was pulled from the same ground that has seismic activity therfore

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

freckle posted:

much like your posting

shots fired

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cojawfee posted:

It would have to be more than 1G as the 1G of Earth would be one of the component vectors of the final vector.

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

gschmidl posted:

Boring Company, or as we call it in German, the Boeringwerke.

Hermann Boring

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just wish he would work on fusion.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hermann Boring

I was shooting for Göring + boer, yeah.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Ja, you see Herr Musk, Elektrik Autos will börn harda and stronga zan any of ze bombs we made.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im kinda glad I'm not rich enough to try to realize any idle thought that passes in my head to then be scrutinzed by people who have actual knowledge on the subject

Course, unlike Elon, I have the capacity for shame

Not me. I’d build a vast underground utopia, fill it with cats and never talk to another one of you fuckos ever again. Scrutinize me all you want, landwalkers; I am naught but a claw marked and grow light bleached skeleton, picked clean and resting at the base of an oak tree, deep in the bosom of Mother Earth.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1131748543373271042

a lack of redundancy is MINIMIZING POINTS OF FAILURE.

Hahahaha

"The more complex something gets statistically speaking, the more breakdowns can happen. So, just make everything as simple as possible where any failures completely break the system and the statistical risk of breakdowns has declined! Boom! Suck it real world!" :smuggo:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

is that ever going to get made? they announced it like a year or two ago if not longer

Of course not.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Is donoteat reading the thread? Totally not mad person thunderf00t snipped a part of his gadgetbahn video without any credit. Very uncool for a "doctor" who should know quoting and likes to complain about entirely unjustified youtube strikes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mysterious frankie posted:

Not me. I’d build a vast underground utopia, fill it with cats and never talk to another one of you fuckos ever again. Scrutinize me all you want, landwalkers; I am naught but a claw marked and grow light bleached skeleton, picked clean and resting at the base of an oak tree, deep in the bosom of Mother Earth.

Woah. I didn't realize this was my dream until this very moment, but hell, :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

zegermans posted:

Rmeember this lol

Apparently they built a tower out of them at the tunnel unveiling. It looks worse than I could have imagined

""The Verge" posted:

Part of the plan is to sell bricks — after previewing the bricks made from the dirt the tunnel-boring machines excavated at The Boring Company’s public meeting in May, there’s now a storefront, which is exactly where O’Leary Station is located. Musk has built a Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail-inspired watchtower with these bricks. It sits by the tunnel mouth in the SpaceX parking lot, and just before the event, a man in Monty Python-esque armor did in fact insult me just outside of it. He did not, to my knowledge, fart in my general direction.

Hub Cat has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jun 6, 2019