Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
A while back I took a stab at getting Aurora4x running on Mac OSX. It failed because I missed something.

Because there's a bunch of different instructions out there, and none of them seem to work that well, I spent a boring weekend in a hotel room dicking around with Wine.

And I think I cracked it, although I'm still testing it out on a couple of different laptops.

install wine and winetricks with your favorite method; I like brew.

code:
brew install wine winetricks
type in the following;

code:
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/aurora4x/
export WINEARCH=win32
This sets the location to save the wine instance. This is the DLL magic;

code:
winetricks -q vb6run ole32 mdac27 jet40 comdlg32ocx comctl32ocx
It's mostly a VB6 stack with database support. Download Aurora;

code:
curl http://aurora.iosphe.re/Aurora_latest.exe > Aurora_latest.exe
Install it;

code:
wine Aurora_latest.exe
You should be able to 'next' through all of the prompts.

And that's it. Run the thing with;

code:
cd ~/.wine/aurora4x/drive_c/Aurora
wine Aurora.exe
Everything appears to be working and the database connections appear good. If you want to get rid of it, just delete the ~/.wine/aurora4x directory.

I've not got the sound working, and the download is the 'all in one' installer that is supposed to be run with 'Aurora_Wrapper.exe', but don't go there for the moment.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Hav posted:

A while back I took a stab at getting Aurora4x running on Mac OSX. It failed because I missed something.

Because there's a bunch of different instructions out there, and none of them seem to work that well, I spent a boring weekend in a hotel room dicking around with Wine.

And I think I cracked it, although I'm still testing it out on a couple of different laptops.

install wine and winetricks with your favorite method; I like brew.

code:
brew install wine winetricks
type in the following;

code:
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/aurora4x/
export WINEARCH=win32
This sets the location to save the wine instance. This is the DLL magic;

code:
winetricks -q vb6run ole32 mdac27 jet40 comdlg32ocx comctl32ocx
It's mostly a VB6 stack with database support. Download Aurora;

code:
curl [url]http://aurora.iosphe.re/Aurora_latest.exe[/url] > Aurora_latest.exe
Install it;

code:
wine Aurora_latest.exe
You should be able to 'next' through all of the prompts.

And that's it. Run the thing with;

code:
cd ~/.wine/aurora4x/drive_c/Aurora
wine Aurora.exe
Everything appears to be working and the database connections appear good. If you want to get rid of it, just delete the ~/.wine/aurora4x directory.

I've not got the sound working, and the download is the 'all in one' installer that is supposed to be run with 'Aurora_Wrapper.exe', but don't go there for the moment.

Testing this when I get home. If it works you'll be my hero

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity&search=combat%20missio&utm_campaign=20190605_combatmission_entw

Lol gently caress battlefront.

e: or rather good for them, they're credited as the publisher so they might be crumbling a little.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 5, 2019

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wow, Steve even fucks up getting his own game removed from a storefront so badly that they add two more games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Squiggle posted:

Wow, Steve even fucks up getting his own game removed from a storefront so badly that they add two more games.

I can't believe the conversation went anything other than:

Gog.: We make X selling Combat Mission. Your cut would be Y. How much are you currently making?
Battlefront: ...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If these are the versions with the patch for Windows 10 7 Vista support I'm so picking up Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Corps.

I'm guessing that patch didn't add widescreen resolution support though.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

BtB was more fun than any of their games in the new engine. So much content. Playing as the axis minors (or curbstombing them as the Soviets) was so much fun. Now I wonder if people here would put up with the ancient graphics for a retro edition of our combat mission LPs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gay Hitler posted:

Testing this when I get home. If it works you'll be my hero

Watch those stray url tags around the address for the installer. Let me know how it goes.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If these are the versions with the patch for Windows 10 7 Vista support I'm so picking up Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Corps.

For what it's worth, they launch great on Windows 10.

No widescreen that I see, but I have set the Nvidia Control Panel to keep aspect ratio when it scales, which works... well enough.

EDIT: Reading the comments on the announcement, it looks like Beyond Overlord was removed at some point prior - but then all three reappeared today.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 5, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Finally finished my first RTW2 game as Japan. Quite a fun ride though the last 20 years got a bit samey. The AI simply doesn't build many nor enough carriers so they stood no chance.

I guess the home field advantage is just too great. The first two wars against Russia and German were basically won in the first battle when their whole far eastern fleet were sunk in harbor by surprise attack. I even had a surprise carrier attack at Vladivostok. 3 strikes of around 100 planes each annihilated (for the third time) the entire Russian battlefleet.

In one war I destroyed almost the entire French naval force (no ship larger than CL left) and I blockaded France with 3 CL when their leader declared they are going to wage total war against me and they promptly surrendered after 3 months.

The second to last war saw my fleet with blind fire capable radar against the combined Italian and French navy that did not have such capability so they were slaughtered even in night battle.

Looking forward to missiles and jet revamp to come out to pad out the final years of the game.

Late game the AI seems to like to build CA armed to the teeth with 15 6-8in guns but almost no armor. I lost many CL to this type of ship in the final days of the last war. Though it seems even with 50+ AA factor AA is suppression at best against air attack. I've rarely seen more than one or two aircraft shot down even with my ship crammed full of AA guns.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 6, 2019

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

As someone who’s never played the series, how are the newer strategic command titles?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BBJoey posted:

As someone who’s never played the series, how are the newer strategic command titles?

They're great!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

These are good fun, glad you guys mentioned them. I played a few missions in B2B and had a blast. They have a certain quaint charm. I also like the lower unit count.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I have a RTW2 complaint. What is the use of having the ability to convert ships to CVs and CVLs? The only time you really want to do this is early on in carrier development; however, during this early period the "design committee" usually insists that "you cannot build this ship without at least x number of x types of guns." The problem being you cannot add turrets and are confined to utilizing the turret positions on the original ship, meaning unless the ship you are converting had enough wing turrets in its the original configuration to meet the demands of the design committee, you cannot actually convert said ships to CVs or CVLs.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 6, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have a RTW2 complaint. What is the use of having the ability to convert ships to CVs and CVLs? The only time you really want to do this is early on in carrier development; however, during this early period the "design committee" usually insists that "you cannot build this ship without at lest x number of x types of guns." The problem being you cannot add turrets and are confined to utilizing the turret positions on the original ship, meaning unless the ship you are converting had enough wing turrets in its the original configuration to meet the demands of the design committee, you cannot actually convert said ships to CVs or CVLs.

That’s an issue for CVs but shouldn’t apply to CVLs... I think. I have the same problem.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pirate Radar posted:

That’s an issue for CVs but shouldn’t apply to CVLs... I think. I have the same problem.

I think part of the problem with CVLs is the minimum speed requirement, making it impossible to convert some of my old pre-dreadnoughts and protected cruisers into CVLs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Fray posted:

BtB was more fun than any of their games in the new engine. So much content. Playing as the axis minors (or curbstombing them as the Soviets) was so much fun. Now I wonder if people here would put up with the ancient graphics for a retro edition of our combat mission LPs.

Hmm, some of the Stalingrad scenarios might even be playable on modern computers.

Might.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have a RTW2 complaint. What is the use of having the ability to convert ships to CVs and CVLs? The only time you really want to do this is early on in carrier development; however, during this early period the "design committee" usually insists that "you cannot build this ship without at least x number of x types of guns." The problem being you cannot add turrets and are confined to utilizing the turret positions on the original ship, meaning unless the ship you are converting had enough wing turrets in its the original configuration to meet the demands of the design committee, you cannot actually convert said ships to CVs or CVLs.

I've never had that issue. I would just remove all turrets and add a few in the wings with no complaints. The bigger issue with CV/CVL conversions is that you end up dragging a bunch of useless weight around with the 14 inch belt you decided to put on your BB.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CV/CVL conversion doesn't even cover the main source of conversions which was rebuilding capital ships mid construction because of treaty obligations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I started playing Atlantic Fleet again last night and it's a lot of fun. I hope Killerfish has something in the works cause I've dumped a bunch of time into Cold Waters and I'd love another naval game with a bigger dynamic campaign.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

ArchangeI posted:

I've never had that issue. I would just remove all turrets and add a few in the wings with no complaints. The bigger issue with CV/CVL conversions is that you end up dragging a bunch of useless weight around with the 14 inch belt you decided to put on your BB.

When I try to put on new wing turrets I get the "cannot add new turret!" error. Speaking of which, it appears you cannot have center line turrets on a CV. So does that pretty much mean no experimental hybrid carrier battleships? I was looking forward to stupidly building an entire fleet of these.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Has anyone had any luck getting RTW 2 working on linux or OSX? My windows machines processor is still melted

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ZombieLenin posted:

When I try to put on new wing turrets I get the "cannot add new turret!" error. Speaking of which, it appears you cannot have center line turrets on a CV. So does that pretty much mean no experimental hybrid carrier battleships? I was looking forward to stupidly building an entire fleet of these.

You were supposed to be able to build hybrids in the beta but they’re not in the main launch for... some reason? And yeah, I haven’t been able to add turrets in conversions at all. If there’s a trick I haven’t found it yet.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Pirate Radar posted:

You were supposed to be able to build hybrids in the beta but they’re not in the main launch for... some reason? And yeah, I haven’t been able to add turrets in conversions at all. If there’s a trick I haven’t found it yet.

I think something is bugged with CA to CVL conversions. BC to CV conversions with 8 x 8" in twin turrets on wing positions work well and I can convert an 8,000 ton CL to an useless CVL with 6 planes without errors. It's gamey and takes longer but you can also build a large and fast AV with wing turrets from the start and convert it to CVL as soon as it's complete to get an useful CVL in about 32 to 36 months total. Or just wait to have unlocked purpose built CVLs.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Zeond posted:

I think something is bugged with CA to CVL conversions. BC to CV conversions with 8 x 8" in twin turrets on wing positions work well and I can convert an 8,000 ton CL to an useless CVL with 6 planes without errors. It's gamey and takes longer but you can also build a large and fast AV with wing turrets from the start and convert it to CVL as soon as it's complete to get an useful CVL in about 32 to 36 months total. Or just wait to have unlocked purpose built CVLs.

You can also auto generate a CVL, swap to a AV before building and then convert back in a rebuild so it's not hideous.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Hav posted:

Watch those stray url tags around the address for the installer. Let me know how it goes.

not well

code:
~ $ export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/aurora4x/
~ $ export WINEARCH=win32
~ $ winetricks -q vb6run ole32 mdac27 jet40 comdlg32ocx comctl32ocx
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!
Using winetricks 20190310 - sha256sum: cf44b3cbf4134adb9f9dd7eec0d50b45d34ae65c5432d72edc24bcd1841888ba with wine-4.0 and WINEARCH=win32
Executing w_do_call vb6run
vb6run already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call ole32
ole32 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call mdac27
mdac27 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call jet40
jet40 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call comdlg32ocx
comdlg32ocx already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call comctl32ocx
comctl32ocx already installed, skipping
~ $ wine Aurora_latest.exe
winemenubuilder.exe(7243,0x681e8000) malloc: can't allocate region
*** mach_vm_map(size=159973376) failed (error code=3)
winemenubuilder.exe(7243,0x681e8000) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
0024:fixme:reg:RegOpenUserClassesRoot (0x70, 0x0, 0x2000000, 0x33f284) semi-stub
0024:fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0x33e710, 0x33e858, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
0024:fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0x33e710): stub
000d:fixme:reg:RegOpenUserClassesRoot (0x74, 0x0, 0x2000000, 0x33ea58) semi-stub
0009:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
0039:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
0039:fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
0039:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x10086): stub
0039:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10086, L"Installing"): stub
0039:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x10086): stub
0039:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10086, L"Installing Aurora."): stub
0039:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x10092 c050 1 0x0
0039:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x20092 c050 1 0x0
0039:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x1009a c050 1 0x0
0039:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x2009a c050 1 0x0
0039:fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
0039:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100b2 enable 0: stub!
0039:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100b2 enable -1: stub!
Just hangs there. Never get any popups

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Gay Hitler posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting RTW 2 working on linux or OSX? My windows machines processor is still melted

It's been working great for me under Wine on OSX. Going by the interface, I'd guess everything it does is a standard windows API call.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Pirate Radar posted:

Huh. I've never had an issue with it. I clear all turrets (main, secondary, and tertiary), then typically add four twin 8" wing turrets, two on each side of the ship, to meet the requirements.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Stairmaster posted:

CV/CVL conversion doesn't even cover the main source of conversions which was rebuilding capital ships mid construction because of treaty obligations.

This would make agreeing to an arms treaty more appealing if you had a chance to save that sweet 32,000 ton BC you were 6 months into building.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Popete posted:

I started playing Atlantic Fleet again last night and it's a lot of fun. I hope Killerfish has something in the works cause I've dumped a bunch of time into Cold Waters and I'd love another naval game with a bigger dynamic campaign.

Have you managed to get into a battle where a carrier was actually worth the investment in Atlantic Fleet?
Cause in my two runs (one as allies, one as axis) all they've been good for is taking a bunch of torpedoes in the first 3 rounds of combat and sinking/managing to survive through sheer luck.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SerthVarnee posted:

Have you managed to get into a battle where a carrier was actually worth the investment in Atlantic Fleet?
Cause in my two runs (one as allies, one as axis) all they've been good for is taking a bunch of torpedoes in the first 3 rounds of combat and sinking/managing to survive through sheer luck.

Haven't got that far yet, but a good heads up. I was planning to invest in some carriers cause they seemed like they'd be useful but maybe not so much.

Hunting submarines still annoys me in this game, they seem to easily be able to snap shot you if you get close and you have to be incredibly precise to have hedgehog or depth charges hit.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Popete posted:

Haven't got that far yet, but a good heads up. I was planning to invest in some carriers cause they seemed like they'd be useful but maybe not so much.

Hunting submarines still annoys me in this game, they seem to easily be able to snap shot you if you get close and you have to be incredibly precise to have hedgehog or depth charges hit.

I found that the best anti-sub weapon in Atlantic Fleet is a spread of torpedoes when the sub is at periscope depth. No need to fiddle with the fixed aimpoint of the hedgehog or run over the sub for depth charges. Aiming the the torps in easy as submerged subs are super slow and they rarely take evasive action. Don't force the sub to dive by shooting at its periscope and you can usually get a good firing angle from about 8k yards away.

Carriers are close to useless as engagements generally start inside enemy gun range, enemy ships nearly always concentrate fire on carriers and they get two or three turns at shooting to damage air ops or start fires on the carriers before the first planes are airborne.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 7, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes, its unbelievably satisfying. Get out of here stalker carrier. I love Atlantic Fleet :keke:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had an encounter with a German u-boat and I solved it by having a land based plane drop depth charges on it. That works too!

But yeah I'm thinking you're probably right about spamming torpedoes next time, hedgehog and depth charges are so fiddly it's a pain in the butt.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Absolutely torpedoes for subs, they are free to restock at the nearest naval base anyways, so just throw a full spread at each sub and then focus on dodging their torpedo waves. Airplanes are absolutely masters of the field, but they are a bit random and a bit limited in ranges to be entirely relied upon. Also any torpedo you launch will travel just under 2800 (whatever distance unit is used in the game) before the enemy gets to move. minimum distance for the torpedo to arm is 1000, so if you are using subs you just bait the enemy destroyer into closing that range and then introduce him to twin torpedoes for instant seducing action.

Speaking of carriers, i had a battle today against a carrier that actually managed to get off a flight of torpedo bombers.
it took 4 torpedo runs before they sunk my light cruiser and their 5th run was for some reason used against their own carrier. Incidentally i now know that at least enemy torpedoes will just phase straight through their own ships to continue on after your ships.

Also if the enemy sinks your last warship, they will surface their sub and start shelling your freighters. It turns out that a freighter can ram a sub to death in one impact.
I really wish there was a way to end the battle with autoresolve once the allies are reduced to defenceless freighters, and thats regardless of whether im playing as the axis or the allies.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

Absolutely torpedoes for subs, they are free to restock at the nearest naval base anyways, so just throw a full spread at each sub and then focus on dodging their torpedo waves. Airplanes are absolutely masters of the field, but they are a bit random and a bit limited in ranges to be entirely relied upon. Also any torpedo you launch will travel just under 2800 (whatever distance unit is used in the game) before the enemy gets to move. minimum distance for the torpedo to arm is 1000, so if you are using subs you just bait the enemy destroyer into closing that range and then introduce him to twin torpedoes for instant seducing action.

Speaking of carriers, i had a battle today against a carrier that actually managed to get off a flight of torpedo bombers.
it took 4 torpedo runs before they sunk my light cruiser and their 5th run was for some reason used against their own carrier. Incidentally i now know that at least enemy torpedoes will just phase straight through their own ships to continue on after your ships.

Also if the enemy sinks your last warship, they will surface their sub and start shelling your freighters. It turns out that a freighter can ram a sub to death in one impact.
I really wish there was a way to end the battle with autoresolve once the allies are reduced to defenceless freighters, and thats regardless of whether im playing as the axis or the allies.

there is tho

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Do tell. Aside from running away from the battle as the axis or scuttling everything as either side, im not seeing it. i will concede that scuttle all works for the allies yes. not so much for the axis

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Who wants to do some CMBB/CMAK PBEM with the new GOG releases? I miss those drat games.

e: we need a goon tourney for this

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 7, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gay Hitler posted:

Just hangs there. Never get any popups

I've sent you a private message so we can continue there, but I think this is because I missed off `brew cask install xquartz`.

Looks like you're using wine4.0, so you might want to do a brew update/brew upgrade. I'd also blow away that prefix and start again after updating wine. That's the only difference I can see easily, except my run command contains a bunch of the regsvr magic that you're missing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So, uh, I was poking around the database in Armored Brigade the other day. I'm still convinced it might be possible to construct some sort of tool that takes Steel Panther MBT data files dumped from Mobhack into .CSV and mostly create XML entries for units and formations and whatnot since most of what AB needs seems to be in SPMBT. It'd at the very least massively speed up the process (minus the sprite part). I ain't letting my dream of a real time SPMBT without the ricochet sound die. So I was experimenting with different fields directly in the XML files to see how it all mapped in the editor/in game.

Long story short I was playing around with some XML flags and managed to accidentally unlock all the DLC :stare: