Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

Tiggum watches comic book shows and doesn't expect comic book things

It's about tone. Gotham had a character called Kristen Kringle and that show was fantastic. But you were never supposed to take that show seriously. This show seems to want us to take it seriously, and yet it has a protagonist named Abbey Arcane. It's weirdly inconsistent. But like I said before, it's only a minor thing, it just stands out because the rest of the episode was just not very attention-grabbing. There's not a lot to say about the rest of it because it's a really slow start that gives very little indication of where the series is headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

It's about tone. Gotham had a character called Kristen Kringle and that show was fantastic. But you were never supposed to take that show seriously. This show seems to want us to take it seriously, and yet it has a protagonist named Abbey Arcane. It's weirdly inconsistent. But like I said before, it's only a minor thing, it just stands out because the rest of the episode was just not very attention-grabbing. There's not a lot to say about the rest of it because it's a really slow start that gives very little indication of where the series is headed.

So you're saying it's an unrealistic last name that real people actually have.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's badass and her father is Anton loving Arcane, the most metal villain name ever.

Uncle, not father.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Rhyno posted:

It's badass and her father is Anton loving Arcane, the most metal villain name ever.

You got that right!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So you're saying it's an unrealistic last name that real people actually have.

No. I didn't say anything about realism. Dick Pound is the real name of a real man, but if you wrote a story with a character named Dick Pound then you are making a deliberate choice and it's going to effect the way that people perceive that character and how they interpret his actions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

No. I didn't say anything about realism. Dick Pound is the real name of a real man, but if you wrote a story with a character named Dick Pound then you are making a deliberate choice and it's going to effect the way that people perceive that character and how they interpret his actions.

Dick Trickle is a famous driver and he kicks rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dick Wolf.
*bum bum*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tiggum why do you have to be such a bore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Dick Trickle is a famous driver and he kicks rear end.

How about leading America's aces of aces, medal of honor earning Richard "Dick" Bong.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

I play football and my name is dick Butkus

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Xelkelvos posted:

Dick Wolf.
*bum bum*

and his co-producer, Speed Weed

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I watched the first two episodes of Titans and holy poo poo is this show poorly written. Like, I could probably take a mediocre show and be fine with it because I like these characters, but a lot of this dialog is just embarrassing. It sounds like I should stop now and just skip on to Doom Patrol, right?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I just finished Titans and It only started really getting me to pay attention once they got to the Doom Patrol episode, having nothing to do with the Doom Patrol show. How many times in the first half of the show did they show a scene of just Dick Grayson driving? I also wish they didn't end the season with an unsatisfying "to be continued" ending because the show by itself felt pretty unsatisfying. Oh well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Titans is okay-ish but I was fully hooked when Conner Leslie debuts as Donna. Like, holy poo poo, who knew they could ever salvage that character in any media.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah Titans is best when it's Wonder Woman and Batman's protege sort of commiserating about their lives. An entire show about the pathos of being the sidekick would be interesting, I liked the Hawk/Dove stuff for similar reasons, B-teams working in the shadow of the big name heroes

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah Titans is best when it's Wonder Woman and Batman's protege sort of commiserating about their lives. An entire show about the pathos of being the sidekick would be interesting, I liked the Hawk/Dove stuff for similar reasons, B-teams working in the shadow of the big name heroes
Starfire's no sidekick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Titans is okay-ish but I was fully hooked when Conner Leslie debuts as Donna. Like, holy poo poo, who knew they could ever salvage that character in any media.

I'd really dig it if was based around her next season and not Dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I'd really dig it if was based around her next season and not Dick.

She is a series regular and gets a costume so I am hopeful.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

George Kansas posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Titans and holy poo poo is this show poorly written. Like, I could probably take a mediocre show and be fine with it because I like these characters, but a lot of this dialog is just embarrassing. It sounds like I should stop now and just skip on to Doom Patrol, right?

I'd say yes but I don't want Rock to have an aneurysm.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

...the show by itself felt pretty unsatisfying. Oh well

Mmmmmm unsatisfying! That's about how I felt too. Usually unsatisfying means "not worth watching" to me. If my lawyer and Rock could now debate the merits of my post, we can come to a conclusion if Titans is worth watching. Your honor, may I step down from the stand.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not pro titans anymore than another show, i'm pro choice.

E: I can list the things i hated about it if it makes you feel better

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 6, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:smith:

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1136639224130809856

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

They managed to confirm it, but there is nothing in the article that confirms it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rocksicles posted:

They managed to confirm it, but there is nothing in the article that confirms it.

they have their own sources, apparently. Still might as well take it with a grain of salt until Variety/THR/Deadline report it, though.

if it's true, which I suspect it is, what the hell is going on with DC Universe and WB? Obviously, this show had BTS problems, we knew that once the episode order was cut, but to cancel a show on a new streaming service after only one episode has aired is just nuts. Guess they don't care about the DC Universe brand if they've already decided to just fold it into the broader WB streaming service.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If anything happens to Doom Patrol next :negative:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

they have their own sources, apparently. Still might as well take it with a grain of salt until Variety/THR/Deadline report it, though.

if it's true, which I suspect it is, what the hell is going on with DC Universe and WB? Obviously, this show had BTS problems, we knew that once the episode order was cut, but to cancel a show on a new streaming service after only one episode has aired is just nuts. Guess they don't care about the DC Universe brand if they've already decided to just fold it into the broader WB streaming service.

If WB could unfuck itself for exactly 1 million dollars, they'd make it cost 10 million.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1136652613238157313

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

What the gently caress?? Guess I'll just watch doom patrol and then unsubscribe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shouldn't that read "before one season"?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

From the Deadline article

quote:

Like every other initiative, DC Universe is being reevaluated following the completion of AT&T acquisition of Time Warner as WarnerMedia has put an emphasis on the launch of a new streaming platform. There have been questions how DC Universe fits into those plans.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

First they kill Filmstruck, now this? And they want people to keep signing up for their streaming services when they show they won't commit to them?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/gholson/status/1136656638239223810
https://twitter.com/gholson/status/1136656883404685314

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The old accounting error switcharoo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that makes more sense than anything else ive read so far. shutting down a 13 episode series 10 episodes in with no behind the scenes drama is weird.

also lmao that they purposefully ruined the season 1 finale of Titans so that their s2 premiere could be bigger and they might never even get it. good plan

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

The old accounting error switcharoo.
gently caress, that sucks for the team. "You made great show but hey budget gently caress up!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

that makes more sense than anything else ive read so far. shutting down a 13 episode series 10 episodes in with no behind the scenes drama is weird.

also lmao that they purposefully ruined the season 1 finale of Titans so that their s2 premiere could be bigger and they might never even get it. good plan

Titans wasn't shot in NC so this will have no effect on it. And it's already shooting season 2.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't Stargirl shooting in NC?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

loving hell. Not even "Well, poo poo, we'll film somewhere else that'll suck our dick and give us a tax cut." - just canceling the whole thing.

And I'm surprised that such a big company is so desperate to suck on the (state) government teat. :jerkbag:

Edit: Stargirl appears to be filming in Georgia, according to IMDB.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 6, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I saw that Stargirl is shooting at the same studios as Black Lightning.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I think I saw that Stargirl is shooting at the same studios as Black Lightning.

Stargirl/Black Lightning crossover when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xelkelvos posted:

Stargirl/Black Lightning crossover when?

Speaking of Black Lightning, what's the TVIV opinion on it? I liked Tattooed Man's character, James Remar is always good, but I thought it got a bit too heavy handed on topical references at times.