Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've lived in this lovely town for 25 years, and every single time a freight train comes by on either of the two sets of train tracks that run through it, intersections become a free for all. Cops will sit and watch people blow red lights, stop signs, and drive on the wrong side of the road for blocks at a time

For the first time in my life, one of those assholes blowing a stop sign while driving on the wrong side of the road got pulled over, it felt so good to finally see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrLogan posted:

Dear Lady,
I don't know why you stopped at a green light to try and get me to take a left and cross in front of you. Just go thru the green and I'll make the left turn as soon as you are thru the intersection. Really, it's no big deal for me to wait the 3 seconds.

Thank you,
MrLogan

Heh around here I dread 4-way stops when someone is approaching the opposite stop much before me. Yet somehow after I come to a complete stop a couple seconds later I'm the one that apparently needs to go after a few second standoff.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

MrLogan posted:

Dear Lady,
I don't know why you stopped at a green light to try and get me to take a left and cross in front of you. Just go thru the green and I'll make the left turn as soon as you are thru the intersection. Really, it's no big deal for me to wait the 3 seconds.

Thank you,
MrLogan

I hate when people either don't know how right of way works or ignore it and say 'yo i got this, imma let you through. the people behind me can wait'. I almost get it if you're just trying to be polite and you see me but forget about the people you're inconveniencing behind you because you're playing traffic cop. But when people wave me on when they clearly have the right of way, and i'd be going in front of them, and they're holding people up, and I'm not holding anyone up by insisting on following the law, I'll sometimes shake my head and point at them and gesture they need to go. As extremely unlikely as it is, I'm just waiting for the day someone waves me on, I begrudgingly go, and then slams into me and say 'he just turned right in front of me, officer'. I've gotten flipped off by people who stop in the middle of a traffic circle, wave me to go, and I shake my head no and gesture to keep moving. I've also gotten honked at several times by people behind me to go through a traffic circle when people are clearly flying through.

Again it's rare I decline someone's polite yet unlawful suggestion. A lot of times I'll just acquiesce if it seems contesting would slow things down further for everyone, but I hate being put in that position. I'll only fight it and tell them to go if no one is being held up by me and if they're holding others up. For example, no one behind me waiting to go through a circle and 15 people behind someone who just started going through the circle and then stopped 5 feet in at my yield sign gesturing me to go through in front of them. Yes I realize the irony of playing traffic cop to someone playing traffic cop but I really feel uneasy about doing the wrong thing just because someone suggested to do so.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrLogan posted:

Dear Lady,

Thank you,
MrLogan

I commute by bicycle a lot and while I generally stick to dedicated bike paths, sometimes I can't avoid roads. This behavior is maddening. No lady, I don't want you stopping traffic where everyone has the right of way EXCEPT for me. I am not going to rely on everyone else immediately understanding these altered rules of the road you just laid down.

Why couldn't you just have kept driving? I would have been through the intersection right after you, but now we got traffic piled up and everyone's mad. Thanks for making me wait another 2 minutes.
They get pretty huffy when I just sit there and ignore them while traffic piles up. lol

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I’ve witnessed multiple fender benders and at least one major accident after folks tried to wave other drivers across a multi-lane arterial road next to a large intersection.

It is always people trying to pull into the same Wendy’s parking lot, too. I like Wendy’s, but not enough to need a neck collar and a backboard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I despise all the "STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSWALK" signs that towns around me have put up because the when people see a pedestrian anywhere near a street corner they drop anchor. That's not what the sign says. :argh:

I've even had a guy yell at me for rolling through a crosswalk because a pedestrian was approaching the intersection.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

RillAkBea posted:

They're more expensive than taxis but you do obviously get your car back to your house in case you need it in the morning or whatever.

I actually found them to be cheaper than taxis. I thought they were subsidized to encourage their use?

Anyway, daikos are loving amazing. You only have to pay for the return trip so that's half the cost of leaving your car at home already. Then, you can often share a daiko and if you plan well (which is much easier in the more densely-populated Japan) you can split a daiko with friends so you end up paying much less. Not as easy in the US because people are more spread out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrLogan posted:

Dear Lady,

Thank you,
MrLogan

Everyone would get where they're going much faster if everyone just used the loving right of way when they have it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thank god Musk can save it all.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MrLogan posted:

Dear Lady,

Thank you,
MrLogan

This but to the guy in the truck that stopped on a busy street to let me get in my vehicle that was parked on the curb. When “being nice” actually causes issues and makes you a jerk. I can wait to get in my car.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a dump truck with "Stay back 500 feet" on back. Think they expect anyone to actually do that?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

I despise all the "STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSWALK" signs that towns around me have put up because the when people see a pedestrian anywhere near a street corner they drop anchor. That's not what the sign says. :argh:

I've even had a guy yell at me for rolling through a crosswalk because a pedestrian was approaching the intersection.

I was pulled over and given a talking to by a cop for not yielding to pedestrians who were gathered in a group 10 feet from the crosswalk chatting, showing no intention of trying to cross, after 4 other people in front of me went through the crosswalk. I tactfully mentioned this and he just got angrier, but he didn't give me a ticket or written warning, just wasted 10 minutes of my time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

Agreed, and that goes double for me when there are pedestrian islands in the road. I think I shouldn't be required to stop until they reach the island, but as far as I can tell, that's not what the law says. So what good is the island?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TotalLossBrain posted:

I commute by bicycle a lot and while I generally stick to dedicated bike paths, sometimes I can't avoid roads. This behavior is maddening. No lady, I don't want you stopping traffic where everyone has the right of way EXCEPT for me. I am not going to rely on everyone else immediately understanding these altered rules of the road you just laid down.

Why couldn't you just have kept driving? I would have been through the intersection right after you, but now we got traffic piled up and everyone's mad. Thanks for making me wait another 2 minutes.
They get pretty huffy when I just sit there and ignore them while traffic piles up. lol

I like to take the time to have a nice, long drink from the water bottle to make it clear that I'm ignoring the wave of death.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a dump truck with "Stay back 500 feet" on back. Think they expect anyone to actually do that?

Signs like that are more about giving legal warning in case someone is dumb enough to follow closely and get their windshield cracked from a flying rock

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Me. I do that. 500 feet on the highway is reasonable. My last car had like 5 windshield chips in it from various trucks throwing rocks. And no, mudflaps do nothing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sigma posted:

Signs like that are more about giving legal warning in case someone is dumb enough to follow closely and get their windshield cracked from a flying rock

You mean “to deter people from trying to be compensated when a corporation violates the law, fails to secure a load, and causes damages.”

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sigma posted:

I don't think it's actually any kind of legal warning, since they're still legally required to keep their loads secure.

At the same time, just don't follow cargo trucks closely on the highway. Seems like an easy solution to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a dashcam and take 'em to court, just because they slap a disclaimer on the rear doesn't mean they can spray you with gravel.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Get a dashcam

You could just leave it at that, you can get perfectly fine ones for like $50-60 these days and one day it'll pay for itself.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mine already has paid off when I was rear ended in a chain feed car wash when my car slipped off the chock. The car wash claimed I stepped on my brakes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cross walk near my house is terrible. You can’t see beyond a very short distance so it’s hard to tell if it’s safe to walk as a pedestrian, or if anyone is in the crosswalk if you’re driving. It’s like they picked the worst possible spot for the crosswalk on purpose.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

You mean “to deter people from trying to be compensated when a corporation violates the law, fails to secure a load, and causes damages.”

This is also true

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh around here I dread 4-way stops when someone is approaching the opposite stop much before me. Yet somehow after I come to a complete stop a couple seconds later I'm the one that apparently needs to go after a few second standoff.

Opposite for me, I stop & wait because of all the times some other chucklefuck decides the stop sign is a suggestion, then blows through it whether there's other cars around or not. Gotta love it when people don't even bother turning their head until after they start rolling through the stop, then suddenly panic brake because another car with right of way is coming through. I completely understand now how Omaha got to be #1 on the list of cities with the worst loving drivers, it's like people fall into one of three categories: Homicidal, Suicidal, or Too loving Old To Drive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Homicidal, Suicidal, or Too loving Old To Drive.

Which one are you?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The school bus drivers you share the road with. S(he?) stopped there and then kept inching forward for until green, but that was only two feet because she was doing it really slowly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

I'll take this over the 95% of drivers who never ever stop for peds in the crosswalk.

sleepy.eyes posted:

These signs are loving useless and truck drivers who don't cover their loads can kiss my rear end.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

The school bus drivers you share the road with. S(he?) stopped there and then kept inching forward for until green, but that was only two feet because she was doing it really slowly.

Both suck, but I'd rather have someone stop too far back than in front of the stop line, in the crosswalk.

One is annoying (because it may not trigger the lights), the other is dangerous.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ive heard people argue they trip the light faster by stopping further back like that and setting off the hall sensor. I have no idea if it's true of not.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
At the intersection I have to go through to get anywhere, there's only one loop right at all the stop lines. If you're that far back, or in the crosswalk, it won't change. Somehow people manage to gently caress that up all the time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Seriously gently caress school buses. They wouldn't be so bad if we weren't so collectively paranoid that we no longer let kids walk to the end of the neighborhood block to a bus stop, but when they have to stop for every single kid at every single house along the route, gently caress them.

Saw one the other day put his yellow flashers on and then turned, which means the turn signal does nothing because it's overwritten by the flashers and you have no indication he's making a turn until he does it. gently caress school buses.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Krakkles posted:

Both suck, but I'd rather have someone stop too far back than in front of the stop line, in the crosswalk.

One is annoying (because it may not trigger the lights), the other is dangerous.

I agree with the sentiment of this post, but I'm pretty sure that guy was just turning right and I photographed him mid-turn.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Seriously gently caress school buses. They wouldn't be so bad if we weren't so collectively paranoid that we no longer let kids walk to the end of the neighborhood block to a bus stop, but when they have to stop for every single kid at every single house along the route, gently caress them.

Saw one the other day put his yellow flashers on and then turned, which means the turn signal does nothing because it's overwritten by the flashers and you have no indication he's making a turn until he does it. gently caress school buses.

On top of this the buses around here use the highway while being governed to 55. The speed limit is 65 and traffic flows at 75. They should straight up be banned from being allowed where they can't maintain the speed limit.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

I agree with the sentiment of this post, but I'm pretty sure that guy was just turning right and I photographed him mid-turn.
Ah, my bad. Fair enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't figure out how school buses aren't constantly murdering people. They are by far the least safe vehicles on the road, if anything goes wrong the kids are gonna bounce around inside like superballs even if they have a seatbelt on. Externally, the bumpers are so high anyone that rear ends them is gonna get a face full of steel

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

xzzy posted:

I can't figure out how school buses aren't constantly murdering people. They are by far the least safe vehicles on the road, if anything goes wrong the kids are gonna bounce around inside like superballs even if they have a seatbelt on. Externally, the bumpers are so high anyone that rear ends them is gonna get a face full of steel

School buses and city buses are some of the safest vehicles on the road. They are gigantic, so other vehicles crashing into them is less likely to cause the school bus to accelerate sharply. They operate primarily at low speeds, which makes it harder to have fatal accidents, and being enormous and yellow means that other drivers are likely to see them and not crash into them. I'd have to dig to find the meta-study, but it's less risky for infants to travel carried in hand in a city bus than in a proper rear-facing infant seat in a 4-wheel vehicle.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/tn/or/nhtsa3702.asp

That said, having 55mph vehicles on a 75mph freeway is really lovely.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I was visiting yesterday and I saw a USPS LLV on the freeway.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the school district here wisely put the bus depot on a 4 lane road that is also shared by the trash truck depot

if i dont get out the drat door by like 5:30 during school year its rolling 35 mph in a 45 roadblocks for at least 6 miles

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

um excuse me posted:

On top of this the buses around here use the highway while being governed to 55. The speed limit is 65 and traffic flows at 75. They should straight up be banned from being allowed where they can't maintain the speed limit.

Must be a town by town thing because I definitely remember being in a line of school buses crawling up a hill on the highway, hearing the driver say "gently caress this", and flooring it to pass the rest of them.

School buses should also be mandated to make stops at the point of least obstruction too. There was one that would stop on a four lane road for one kid, then immediately turn onto a side street around the kid's building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

For occupants school buses are extremely safe. The engineering is amazing even if they are ugly and lack ac.