Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ogopogo posted:

big and beautiful :biglips: sourdough cheese and pepperoni.

I wish my oven worked well enough to get that char, the damned thing pretty much doesn't have heat from the top (like the broiler just doesn't work). I have to get creative with layers of stone directly above my pizza stone to try to get the heat radiating from above, and that barely works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

forbidden dialectics posted:

God drat, beautiful. The bottom one especially reminds me of a classic New Haven pie from Pepe's or Sally's. Man I miss New England

Speaking of New Haven, I made some New Haven white clam pizzas the other night that I forgot to post pics of.

I had to flatten the dough with a rolling pin again. I’m starting to think I’m just not meant to know how to shape dough by hand. :negative:

EDIT: Pics

This first one didn’t launch off the peel so well cuz I didn’t put enough flower down.

I used the Pizza Bible dough and it was pretty good. No crust shots this time because the crusts got a little burnt; you can kinda see it in the pics if you look closely.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 14, 2019

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Testing out the new oven with some overnight no-knead dough. Tempted to cut the lock off and try cooking in the self cleaning cycle..

Cherry tomato:

Hit cappocolo:

Fried mushroom, garlic and tarragon with mozz, no sauce:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

large hands posted:

Testing out the new oven with some overnight no-knead dough. Tempted to cut the lock off and try cooking in the self cleaning cycle..

Cherry tomato:

Hit cappocolo:

Those are some nice looking pies! Are you doing a couple of days of cold proofing in the fridge? I love the no knead dough but found it didn't stretch well without cold proofing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

large hands posted:

This is probably amazing in chanterelle season.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

clockworx posted:

Those are some nice looking pies! Are you doing a couple of days of cold proofing in the fridge? I love the no knead dough but found it didn't stretch well without cold proofing.

I didn't and it didn't really stretch well, they wound up thicker than I'd have liked, except for the last one I did, which seemed to benefit from the extra rest in the hot kitchen. Will definitely cold proof next time.

Ola posted:

This is probably amazing in chanterelle season.

Excellent idea :mrgw:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Kneading question. Frankly, how many of you knead your dough?

The reason I ask this rather strange question is that, as big of a fan as I am of both, I'm getting better results with Baking Steel's 1 day pizza dough, which you do knead, than Jim Lehey's revered No Knead Dough. As I was researching this post, I see that Baking Steel added a kneading step to their version of Jim's dough. I've kept all other aspects the same, e.g. flour, water, location and rising according to each recipe. Can't think of anything else it may be.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizza dough is so easy to kneed there's no real reason not to.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
WTF goons, 10 days and no one's pizza'd? Time to fix that.
ITT, I continue my detroit style love affair.

THE PIZZA WANTER HAS LOGGED ON

Dough was the recipe from https://www.amazon.com/EMILY-Cookbook-Emily-Hyland/dp/1524796832
(This cookbook is fantastic, btw, for more than just pizza).

Sauce is mostly one from serious eats: Garlic, oregano, and hot pepper flakes briefly cooked in olive oil, tomato paste + anchovy paste tossed in, then the big ole 28oz can of tomatos. Add extra garlic and onion powder, then simmer down to reduce for 45 minutes.

Toppings aside from the mozzarella were just crumbled smoked spicy southern style sausage, goat cheese, and pecorino-romano sprinkled on top.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Gwaihir posted:

WTF goons, 10 days and no one's pizza'd? Time to fix that.
ITT, I continue my detroit style love affair.

Mate that's inspired me, good work! Know what I'm cooking this weekend.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gonna do pizza again on Wednesday. This time I’m gonna try mixing the dough using the no mixer method in the Pizza Bible since my stand mixer doesn’t have a dough hook and I couldn’t tell if mixing it in a food processor last time hosed it up somehow.

I will probably post a lot asking for help. I want to be able to shape my dough by hand this time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Babby’s first successful attempt at shaping dough by hand.

This is about 13 inches wide I think.

Kind of a bad crust shot.

The dough was really thin in the center and a bit thick toward the edges, and there were a couple of holes I had to pinch closed, but apart from that I’m happy. I watched a Youtube video to figure out what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-Yr1q-fKM

Tips on how to improve the dough thickness issues next time are welcome.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I got a deal alert today for The Pizza Bible (eBook) for $2, if anyone feels like getting in.

https://www.bookbub.com/books/the-pizza-bible-by-tony-gemignani-and-steve-siegelman?buy=&ebook_deal&region=us

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First time doing an all sourdough starter dough and it was the best dough I've made at home yet; really good chew with a lot of flavor. I had hesitated cause I had it in my mind that there needed to be olive oil in pizza dough, but this recipe was easy to mix up and came out amazing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

clockworx posted:

I got a deal alert today for The Pizza Bible (eBook) for $2, if anyone feels like getting in.

https://www.bookbub.com/books/the-pizza-bible-by-tony-gemignani-and-steve-siegelman?buy=&ebook_deal&region=us

Now I understand why the eReader thread is subtitled "All Publishers Hate Canada". Still CAD$18 here.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Sourdough pizza with sausage and pickled red onions!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

drat that looks good

i made a few over this weekend and last weekend

pizza bianca - this one is just mozzarella, spinach, olive oil and a few herbs

salami, mozzarella and spinach

mozzarella

another mozzarella

prosciutto, rocket/rucola/arugula, mozzarella

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

drat that looks good

i made a few over this weekend and last weekend

pizza bianca - this one is just mozzarella, spinach, olive oil and a few herbs

salami, mozzarella and spinach

mozzarella

another mozzarella

prosciutto, rocket/rucola/arugula, mozzarella

That dough looks amazing, what recipe is it?

I'm checking back into this thread after a while out because we just bought a place and building a pizza oven is a high priority. :getin:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

That dough looks amazing, what recipe is it?

I'm checking back into this thread after a while out because we just bought a place and building a pizza oven is a high priority. :getin:

Thanks! this is just the baking steel recipe (70% hydration) but I do it with a biga/poolish for ~8h first (350g each water and flour, 1/4tsp yeast), then add the remaining 150g flour/20g salt and proof for 24h

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Margherita + egg

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 30, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuckin mama mia

:chanpop:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks! this is just the baking steel recipe (70% hydration) but I do it with a biga/poolish for ~8h first (350g each water and flour, 1/4tsp yeast), then add the remaining 150g flour/20g salt and proof for 24h

Oh poo poo am I making this! Ever tried it with longer proofing? Not that it needs it, I ask as much for advance planning as I do results.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Oh poo poo am I making this! Ever tried it with longer proofing? Not that it needs it, I ask as much for advance planning as I do results.

I usually just do the 24h bulk fermentation, but keep it in the fridge for ~48h after that (while they're being used) so the last couple are probably ~72h

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Made some decent new yorkers last night. 2 of the 4 I made:

The trader joes antipasti semi-dried herbed cherry tomatoes in the packaging for $2 are one of my new favorite toppings. The pepperoni was drat good and cupped nicely, but I have no idea what it is. I've taken to just asking pizza places that have good pepperoni for a small container of their stuff when I see it, and they are almost always willing to give me some (then I throw bucks into the tip jar, of course).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I usually just do the 24h bulk fermentation, but keep it in the fridge for ~48h after that (while they're being used) so the last couple are probably ~72h

I've just made the Biga and will be mixing in the remaining flour before bed. Pizza tomorrow! Just to be sure, after mixing the flour into.the Biga it's 1 day of warm rise on the counter?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

I've just made the Biga and will be mixing in the remaining flour before bed. Pizza tomorrow! Just to be sure, after mixing the flour into.the Biga it's 1 day of warm rise on the counter?

Around 24h yeah but it depends on the temp of your kitchen and how much salt you put into it, but once it's double in volume it's ready to go into the fridge. It's winter in Australia at the moment, so if you're in the nothern hemisphere or somewhere warm just keep an eye on it throughout the day

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Perfect because I'll be about 4hrs short of a full day

Edit: stirred the extra flour into the Biga. I think knocking the biga back first was a mistake, because I ended up folding it in more than anything. Did some kneading on it too. Will have it rise for the next day. Extra keen for tomorrow's pizza night.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 5, 2019

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My pizza stone cracked straight down the middle last night, pretty sure I broke an Italian law or something. I did manage one last good pizza from it though, so it wasn't for nothing.

If this has been discussed in length before, my bad. What is a recommended upgrade, a pizza steel I presume?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah

although these newer, insanely hot tabletop pizza makers are pretty cheap these days... and they dont need a big steel

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GramCracker posted:

My pizza stone cracked straight down the middle last night, pretty sure I broke an Italian law or something. I did manage one last good pizza from it though, so it wasn't for nothing.

If this has been discussed in length before, my bad. What is a recommended upgrade, a pizza steel I presume?

Baking steel for sure. You don't need the special double thick one. It's pro as hell for doing most things in the oven though, anything you want extra crispy on the bottom just plop it on the steep on some parchment.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Trying out the new Caputo Nuvola flour
Margherita side view -

and the pickled onion and garlic version

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
drat that looks good. I read the npr article about the new caputo nuvola flour a few weeks ago. Where did you end up buying it from?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

drat that looks good. I read the npr article about the new caputo nuvola flour a few weeks ago. Where did you end up buying it from?

I bought it from my local Italian wholesaler who I use for my little pop up pizza business. It’s cool flour, the first run was a learning experience - excited to get the dough dialed in with it!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do you notice a difference and is it worth it?

Reason I ask is I mainly do New York style pizzas. Lots of forums say to find King Arthur sir Lancelot or Trumps flour.

I’ve tried those with a cold ferment, and I honestly don’t notice a huge difference between those and standard KA bread flour. kA bread flour is a lot cheaper and easier to get, so I just use that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's some new York pie that got popular fast who happened to make a cook book. They even recommend just KABF. They're the place that does Detroit style pizzas as well.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

nwin posted:

Reason I ask is I mainly do New York style pizzas. Lots of forums say to find King Arthur sir Lancelot or Trumps flour.

I’ve tried those with a cold ferment, and I honestly don’t notice a huge difference between those and standard KA bread flour. kA bread flour is a lot cheaper and easier to get, so I just use that.

It’s a super pillowy dough, light and full of air. May not be the right flour for traditional NYC pizza. It’ll make killer Roman and Detroit style I bet, lots of light airy crusts that could be made.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

I get the high protein stuff in bulk at the Costco business center. Works nicely for sourdough bread and NY pizza.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gwaihir posted:

Baking steel for sure. You don't need the special double thick one. It's pro as hell for doing most things in the oven though, anything you want extra crispy on the bottom just plop it on the steep on some parchment.

Awesome, thank you. Would you say 1/4 of an inch thickness is appropriate?

Now I have to refine making sauce before this new steel arrives.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'd say you can't go wrong necessarily. I have the ⅝ inch version and love it. I'd get the ½in version if I bought again but it's only because I love it so much... I'm not dissatisfied and have no good reason to say that beyond infatuation.

Anyway, whatever the choice you'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GramCracker posted:

Awesome, thank you. Would you say 1/4 of an inch thickness is appropriate?

Now I have to refine making sauce before this new steel arrives.

I still don't think any sauce compares to the easy/great serious eats New York sauce.