Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My only complaint about Kuze is that any time he's the enemy is a time when Awano isn't, and I love Awano and his permanent smug, bemused look. No matter if he's smiling or frowning, he always looks like he thinks he's talking to a total dipshit, and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved Kuze, one of my story complaints about 0 is that both the fun antagonists got upstaged in the endgame by the insanely boring one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved Kuze, one of my story complaints about 0 is that both the fun antagonists got upstaged in the endgame by the insanely boring one

It's kinda the point. You're distracted by the flashy old-school Yakuza gangsters when you should've been paying attention to one not running his mouth off and constantly executing his own agenda with Dojima's blessing. And when he DOES come front and center, you know full-well you're gonna wipe the floor with the smug little poo poo after loving up Kuze and Awano repeatedly because they're the heavy muscle in the Family.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I genuinely always have to look up the name of the final boss because I can never remember his name. He just has zero stage presence.

Also i want to like Awano but he murdered a young woman in cold blood just to flex on Kiryu and that makes me hella uncomfortable.

Kiwami spoiler: incidentally, the best Majima moment and the one I always go to to introduce the guy is when he's holding a woman hostage in Shangri-La, yelling "HOW ABOUT IT?? WANNA BE MY BITCH??" and when she says no, he's like "oh, alright" and let's her go :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Danaru posted:

I genuinely always have to look up the name of the final boss because I can never remember his name. He just has zero stage presence.

That's also the intention. He knows that if the other two keep stunting and being loving lunatics, he can just stand back and be the last one standing when everything else is done. It's less climactic, but both more realistic and more true to the genre.

I can't find any proof of this now that I look, largely because I can't read Japanese, but I do remember hearing that his actor is the only one of the three lieutenants that might have ties to actual yakuza. So if that's true, then 'you got rid of the showboaters and now only the real deal is left' is also true metatextually.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cleretic posted:

That's also the intention. He knows that if the other two keep stunting and being loving lunatics, he can just stand back and be the last one standing when everything else is done. It's less climactic, but both more realistic and more true to the genre.

I can't find any proof of this now that I look, largely because I can't read Japanese, but I do remember hearing that his actor is the only one of the three lieutenants that might have ties to actual yakuza. So if that's true, then 'you got rid of the showboaters and now only the real deal is left' is also true metatextually.

:stare: poo poo that's genius

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's kinda the point. You're distracted by the flashy old-school Yakuza gangsters when you should've been paying attention to one not running his mouth off and constantly executing his own agenda with Dojima's blessing. And when he DOES come front and center, you know full-well you're gonna wipe the floor with the smug little poo poo after loving up Kuze and Awano repeatedly because they're the heavy muscle in the Family.

ha, ok, that's pretty good.

I'd still have liked a more climactic final confrontation - 2 followed roughly the same plot twist but still gives you Kiryu and Ryuji beating each other to death for no reason whatsoever once the two secret masterminds are out of the way - but I guess that would just be, uh, a bit too close to the same story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did a neat bit in Marc Ecko's Getting Up, platforming on a giant carwash that's powerful enough to strip any kind of paint or stickers from the new silver trains, and an artists flesh from his bones. It was simple, but a visually neat setpiece.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One little thing about Breath of the Wild that I find amusing but it only happens in combat so I never think to stop and record it: at night, skeletal versions of some of the monsters will come out of the ground to attack you. They go down a lot easier than the living versions, but when they’re defeated they collapse into a pile of bones and the skull starts rolling around until you smash it. As long as there’s at least one skull in play the bodies will reform themselves after a few minutes, pick up the skull to reattach it, and go back to fighting.

If you smash some skulls but not all of them, all the bodies will reform and then start racing for the remaining skull, and when one grabs it the other headless skeletons will get all pissed off and stomp their feet angrily until the last skull is destroyed and they all disappear. :rant:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did a neat bit in Marc Ecko's Getting Up, platforming on a giant carwash that's powerful enough to strip any kind of paint or stickers from the new silver trains, and an artists flesh from his bones. It was simple, but a visually neat setpiece.

This game sounds so wild. Stealth sections, belt combat, platforming? What even is a Marc Ecko, anyway?!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

PubicMice posted:

This game sounds so wild. Stealth sections, belt combat, platforming? What even is a Marc Ecko, anyway?!

From what I can tell, he's a graffiti artist who owns a professional company called "The Collective" - he's not a character in the game, yet, but seems more like a Tony Hawk kind of thing where he endorsed the game and acted as a creative director/consultant. I just did a neat, but hard, sort of boss fight where have to finish a mural (that disses your opponent) before your opponent finishes one of you. It was an interesting use of mechanics, but it's also not easy as you can't make more than 4 mistakes. Also the police chief is voiced by Adam West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tn2oGbR27w I love this level, not my video though. The mural fight is the level after the one in the video.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Jun 5, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I really wish the PC version wasn't from the era of dogshit ports.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hope the idea that most people don't care about the artists comes in later, like the mayor's police state starts targeting people who don't mind artists so much as sympathisers and suddenly we end up with a bunch of rich white people supporting your "gently caress the police" stance. There is already a hint of that with the journalists being more excited by what you are doing than annoyed (simply due to your enormous balls). At one point during the mural-fight, a media helicopter shows up and is gushing about the contest, being all "Oh my god these artists are risking life and limb simply to diss each other!"

It would be fun to save the media from the mayor trying to turn them into a propaganda tool. Hell go even further, ending the game saving the mayor from Adam West launching a military coup would also be a fun twist. I have no idea what's actually coming, this is just idle thoughts from what's already come.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Jun 5, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

growing increasingly convinced that Bioenchanted is some sort of SCP thing that conjures 2000s B-games into existence as he posts about them.

I'd ask him to post about one where I get a pay rise but it would end up with me in a dangerous mine cart race or instafail stealth situation or something equally horrible

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

growing increasingly convinced that Bioenchanted is some sort of SCP thing that conjures these games into existence as he posts about them

I wholly concur. He should be subdued and studied in a controlled environment with access to a PS2 and Wii.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Marc Ecko seems pretty chill tho (from the game's wikipedia page):

quote:

"In an interview in Metro New York, Ecko was outspoken in his response to these critics, describing gamers as "the guys who got wedgies in high school" and "divas" with a "predisposition to have a bug up their rear end for anything urban", who dismissed the game as riding on the coat-tails of Grand Theft Auto solely for having a black character on the cover. The reviewers, he says, are "slaves to the code" and not "slaves to the branding, products, or experience" as he would prefer, and they unfairly compare the game to better-received titles, such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. He admits that the game was "not as precise as I would have liked to see", blaming the game's failures on system limitations "that people just can't understand", and that the title was "as polished as you can make it on a no-hard-drive console like the PS2".

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd ask him to post about one where I get a pay rise but it would end up with me in a dangerous mine cart race or instafail stealth situation or something equally horrible

Oh, that's Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, more or less.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

From what I can tell, he's a graffiti artist who owns a professional company called "The Collective" - he's not a character in the game, yet, but seems more like a Tony Hawk kind of thing where he endorsed the game and acted as a creative director/consultant.

Marc Ecko is a corny suburban white guy who founded the fashion label Ecko Unlimited. Ecko was a huge deal from the 90s to around when the game came out, but is now a punchline. I think he was briefly a graffiti artist in college, but the idea that he had any sort of street cred is fantasy. Characters like Cope2 and Futura are actual legendary street artists though.

Ecko did seem quite attached to the game beyond just licensing his name:

"In an interview in Metro New York, Ecko was outspoken in his response to these critics, describing gamers as "the guys who got wedgies in high school" and "divas" with a "predisposition to have a bug up their rear end for anything urban", who dismissed the game as riding on the coat-tails of Grand Theft Auto solely for having a black character on the cover.

The reviewers, he says, are "slaves to the code" and not "slaves to the branding, products, or experience" as he would prefer, and they unfairly compare the game to better-received titles, such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. He admits that the game was "not as precise as I would have liked to see", blaming the game's failures on system limitations "that people just can't understand", and that the title was "as polished as you can make it on a no-hard-drive console like the PS2"."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

He advertised the game with a faked video of him tagging Air Force One that he tried to pass off as real for a hot second.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is a rare case of me actually hearing about a game that BioEnchanted is playing. I remember seeing ads or something for this game. It was right after I had gotten into games journalism as a hobby, so I must've heard about it from those connections. It looked...well, not super enthralling. I feel like that was the days of a number of celebrity-endorsed games, too, which made it get lost even more in the shuffle.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Mark Ecko sounds like a guy who got wedgie in high school, and a diva with a bug up his rear end about anything urban.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

This is a rare case of me actually hearing about a game that BioEnchanted is playing. I remember seeing ads or something for this game. It was right after I had gotten into games journalism as a hobby, so I must've heard about it from those connections. It looked...well, not super enthralling. I feel like that was the days of a number of celebrity-endorsed games, too, which made it get lost even more in the shuffle.

I remember hearing about that and thinking "a game about some graffiti guy... so it'll be jet set radio except with no rocket skates or cel shading?" and forgetting about it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I watched a playthrough of Getting Up a while ago since I had been somewhat interested in seeing what it was like...and aside from the extremely clashing pace of plot vs gameplay ("I gotta chase that guy down right now...but not until after I put my sick tag up all around this area!"), the only other thing I took away from it was this great line of dialogue:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hey bioenchanted, do you have a stream or a youtube channel or something? I'd love to see you play some of these

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played Getting Up, it is(was?) pretty good, until a story shift around midway of the game.

I never got the hang of the combos you learn, only managed to do one time by accident. The spray can flamethrower was ace tho.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hey bioenchanted, do you have a stream or a youtube channel or something? I'd love to see you play some of these

Yeah, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCIKHC6hnrWgOLKwHTw5M-wg

It was before my current username.

Also now I've done the amusement park I think I'm at the story shift you mentioned, after defeating Beth and finding out that the gangs were being played the whole time. I'd figured that from earlier on, and don't mind that. I was hoping for more of a conspiracy anyway, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. I liked the fight with Beth, with her twin electric batons and when disarming her, switching to a flamethrower somehow. This game's pretty good at bosses so far

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 5, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You pulled the wrong link to your channel page ;) just throw up a video, I'll follow it to the channel

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You pulled the wrong link to your channel page ;) just throw up a video, I'll follow it to the channel

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuTE_5_5lE&t=758s

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
One of these days the universe is going to provide Bio with a copy of the FRIENDS video game and this forum is going to collapse in on itself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just got the mission done tagging the trams, and that cutscene was hilarious. Trane being interviewed by the reporter, with her honoring his proviso of "no faces" by blurring him out, and after the interview he gets all excited and starts playing with his flamethrower-spraycan. It's like "Dude, the camera's still rolling, you look like an idiot!" Also, neat, working with the reporter, I hoped that that would happen at some point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

One of these days the universe is going to provide Bio with a copy of the FRIENDS video game and this forum is going to collapse in on itself.

Ross will visit in the night and leave it in his dreamcast.

Anyway, my new favorite thing about Yakuza Kiwami is still Rush style. You see, you can't use weapons in Rush Style. But if, for example, you kick a garbage can? That counts as a weapon attack if it hits a dude. Now, lets say you kick four guys real hard and they all fall onto a motorbike? That counts as a weapon attack as the physics go ballistic and that bike hits them all for infinite damage.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I know I've must've said it before but ABZU is probably one of the most beautiful games I've played in a long time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdAlqWvlS44

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really like the cinematography in Marc Ecko's FMVs - this one in particular was really inventive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8tDZlAnd4

Also this level taught me that I'm now good enough at the game that if I screw up stealth I can simply fight my way out of the situation, then explore with impunity. I like that that's an option.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally finished the last level of Hitman 2016 for the first time and it's cool as hell. The last two missions were just great overall, the Denver militia compound was huge and super tense since it's really crowded and everyone is a paranoid trigger-happy psycho, and then it's followed up with a high-tech hospital/spa with high-tech security that seems like it will be a nightmare to navigate, but in reality it's a pretty laid-back level with a bunch of opportunities to get your murders done in style.

This is one of the very few 'challenge' style games where I'm actually excited to go back through and try things differently. Do completed challenges carry over, if I buy Hitman 2 and import the Hitman 1 levels?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

food court bailiff posted:

This is one of the very few 'challenge' style games where I'm actually excited to go back through and try things differently. Do completed challenges carry over, if I buy Hitman 2 and import the Hitman 1 levels?

Nope, Hitman 2 has it's own progression and a tweaked unlock order.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My big regret is not getting Hitman 1 while it was being released episodically, I would've loved the time to just absorb every level and wring every bit of content out of them. Having them all released at once makes it feel much more like I should just go from level to level rather than take my time.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I'm glad they put in that "you should really finish these three opportunities before going to the next level" screen. Kept me exploring.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

My big regret is not getting Hitman 1 while it was being released episodically, I would've loved the time to just absorb every level and wring every bit of content out of them. Having them all released at once makes it feel much more like I should just go from level to level rather than take my time.

I mostly stuck with each level for a long time before moving on because really getting to know the level became a joy on its own because you feel like Phil in Groundhog Day knowing where and when things are about to happen but also because the more you master the level the better stuff you unlock, which makes subsequent levels easier and more fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FebrezeNinja posted:

I'm glad they put in that "you should really finish these three opportunities before going to the next level" screen. Kept me exploring.

Yeah!
I normally only play Hitman is the most ghost melee way possible. No guns, no gadget. Just me, my garotte and an ocean of patience.

But seeing all those suggestions really opened up the game for me and I ended up having way more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just beaten Marc Ecko: Getting Up and overall liked it. The bosses, for the most part, were tricky but interesting, some of them having interesting weapons and some of them simply being hard hand-to-hand fights with some unique environmental flairs. The plot actually resolved itself too, while there was a sequel hook where the final boss implies others are pulling the strings on a higher level, but all the key players in this games plot are dealt with in some way, so it's still satisfying. It's not like the plot just stops. Trane does get to win against all the baddies.

I noticed a few bugs, like in one part I fell through the floor, but only once, and the game overall was unpolished (my god vandalising the helicopter was annoying), but it had a really good sense of style and spectacle when it came to the graffiti. Painting "STILL FREE [we will not give in]" all the way down a suspension bridge was cool. (I put the latter in square brackets because the format is different - the big letters are painted, but "we will not give in" is constructed from pasted on posters).

This brings me to something else I overall liked, the variety in how to make your mark - you got spraycans of course for standard optional graffiti with occasional stencils for posters, but you also got a marker and stickers for randomly scribbling on non-reserved surfaces (you can just randomly write trane on a wall if you want to), and as the game went on the required graffiti grew larger and more complex, changing from spraypaint, to collapsible brushes like professional billboard people use, and a brush that pasted with one end of the head, and applied a paper decal to the paste with the other, which came in neat shapes. The finished stuff was sometimes realistically sloppy too, like the decals don't always perfectly align.

Also the pacing seems to ramp up towards the end, the last few chapters are all 2 or 3 levels long so you go through them much faster than the earlier ones, although the plot never abandons itself or feels sloppy, it keeps up with it's own pacing without dropping characters.

It was overall kind of janky, but there was a lot of effort put into it throughout and it was a fun game overall. Also the FMVs are all great looking.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jun 7, 2019