Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Did that ever stop being boring?
If you found it boring then, you will find it boring now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LividLiquid posted:

If you found it boring then, you will find it boring now.

It's still on? Whoa.

I watched the first season but was never really gripped by it. It's no Breaking Bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

It's still on? Whoa.

I watched the first season but was never really gripped by it. It's no Breaking Bad.
I was being polite before. It's been amazing the whole time and you find interesting things boring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LividLiquid posted:

I was being polite before. It's been amazing the whole time and you find interesting things boring.

Naw. First season was pretty slow. But cool that you liked it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Waltzing Along posted:

Colin was on the Office for a while.

I was always a fan of his educational yo-yoing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Did that ever stop being boring?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

At this point I think the Jimmy segments of Better Call Saul are as strong as anything Breaking Bad ever did. The Mike stuff tends to drag it down for me though.

But then I generally feel like BB is way overrated, so it's not that hard of a bar to clear.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
For what it's worth, there are some elements of Better Call Saul that I legitimately enjoy more than some comparable aspects of Breaking Bad. I feel like Better Call Saul has a somewhat more sympathetic and believable protagonist, still keeping him in a moral gray area better than Breaking Bad did. There are other things, too. The parts of BCS that kind of weigh it down or hold it back are the parts that heavily establish stuff to come in Breaking Bad (as BB is chronologically later)--until, that is, this last season, where you get to enjoy what I thought was a pretty well-done storyline about how Gus got his super lab built under the industrial laundromat place. So maybe there is some promise in those storylines outside of "oh hey, it's those characters I loves from that other show this one originated from!" after all.

That's just me, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad on average; the Jimmy/his brother stuff is better than anything on Breaking Bad, and ironically, it's only the Gus/Mike stuff that pretty much *is* Breaking Bad that brings the show down.

But it kind of depends on what you watch TV for; it's like how people found Sopranos "boring" when people weren't getting whacked, when the personal stakes were the core of the show.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Darko posted:

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad on average; the Jimmy/his brother stuff is better than anything on Breaking Bad, and ironically, it's only the Gus/Mike stuff that pretty much *is* Breaking Bad that brings the show down.

But it kind of depends on what you watch TV for; it's like how people found Sopranos "boring" when people weren't getting whacked, when the personal stakes were the core of the show.

Agreed. Plus, more Odenkirk is never not great. But even my username is a reference to something he's involved in, so I may be biased.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/BritishComedy/status/1136243573760974849

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Who?

(Hell yes)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"YEEEEEEEEESSS!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hope it's a meta of Toast being insufferable behind the scenes of an American vampire drama.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Where, uh, can Toast go at this point?

*rubs hands together Britishly*

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he can go visit your hwife!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mentioned this in the chat thread but Berry also has a new showing next Monday on Channel 4 in the UK called Year of the Rabbit. Where Berry plays a Victorian era cop (named Rabbit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwoTjj6QBU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO6-JqcD4ak

:allears:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Not available here, is this new content?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bring back old gbs posted:

he can go visit your lady wife!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Senor Tron posted:

Energy Vampire Bedtime Stories

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Not avaiable here either.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is like dark Joe Pera

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I'm writing a spec episode of What We Do in the Shadows (to those who don't know, a spec episode is when you write an episode of an already existing show- screenwriters use it to show you can write in another show's voice, and a lot of writing fellowships require specs) and this video helps a lot.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

stratofarius posted:

I'm writing a spec episode of What We Do in the Shadows (to those who don't know, a spec episode is when you write an episode of an already existing show- screenwriters use it to show you can write in another show's voice, and a lot of writing fellowships require specs) and this video helps a lot.
Spec scripts are awesome because it's fan fiction that you're required to write to work in television.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

stratofarius posted:

Sounds cool as hell, man. Can you give us a small sample?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

Spec scripts are awesome because it's fan fiction that you're required to write to work in television.

I wrote an Angie Tribeca one that was the most fun I had in my entire life.

PerilPastry posted:

Sounds cool as hell, man. Can you give us a small sample?

Right now, still working on the story.

The current idea is that Lazslo meets an antique dealer who treats him like a king, so Lazlo gives this guy a tour of the house and tries to convince Nadja to make him their new familiar, unaware the antique dealer has a secret plan.

Meanwhile, Nandor wants to learn how to insult like Lazslo and Nadja, so Guillermo takes him to a comedy club. And as a C-plot (a tertiary plot that takes up a few minutes of the whole episode), Colin Robinson joins a historical tour group in a vampire twist on 'that one tour group member who wants to prove he knows more than the tour guide'.

stratofarius fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 7, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

stratofarius posted:

I wrote an Angie Tribeca one that was the most fun I had in my entire life.
For years I kept remembering this episode of Arrested Development where George Sr. buys useless land because it's where they shot Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and whenever it was mentioned, it would quick-cut to the barren land with the Indiana Jones theme for a quick snippet.

I spent forever trying to figure out if I'd made it up before finally realizing that it was a spec script another TV writer posted in TVIV.

I thought it was a real episode for years. He was that good at writing in the voice of the show.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

For years I kept remembering this episode of Arrested Development where George Sr. buys useless land because it's where they shot Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and whenever it was mentioned, it would quick-cut to the barren land with the Indiana Jones theme for a quick snippet.

I spent forever trying to figure out if I'd made it up before finally realizing that it was a spec script another TV writer posted in TVIV.

I thought it was a real episode for years. He was that good at writing in the voice of the show.

I once read an amazing Brooklyn Nine Nine spec that's one of my favorite episodes of the show too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

stratofarius posted:

I once read an amazing Brooklyn Nine Nine spec that's one of my favorite episodes of the show too.

I've heard tell of a Friends script about AIDS, but never managed to see it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Years and years ago I read pages of a Goonies 2 movie that I thought was fantastic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The 911 Seinfeld episode is amaaazing

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I only hope to do a good episode of the show in case Nickelodeon accepts What We Do in the Shadows specs next semester (them and ABC, CBS, etc)- I got a feeling this might be a go-to show, like how GLOW was a go-to show this last year (I think).

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

stratofarius posted:

. And as a C-plot (a tertiary plot that takes up a few minutes of the whole episode), Colin Robinson joins a historical tour group in a vampire twist on 'that one tour group member who wants to prove he knows more than the tour guide'.

Promote this to the loving A plot

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stratofarius posted:

I only hope to do a good episode of the show in case Nickelodeon accepts What We Do in the Shadows specs next semester...

They generally accept other Viacom properties. That way if your script is good enough for the writing program then you may actually get a script bought. WWDitS is a fox/disney product. I have a American Dad spec script waiting until the July 31st date when they let people know what's what. Wish me luck!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good luck, your spec for WWDITS sounds really great :)

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Grem posted:

Promote this to the loving A plot

This is a good sign. Thanks for the compliment.

I'll keep you all updated- should have a first draft by the end of this month.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...how and where do you submit these, exactly? Do you need to already have an agent to get in contact with people, or is it an open submission?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...how and where do you submit these, exactly? Do you need to already have an agent to get in contact with people, or is it an open submission?

Most of the fellowships/writing programs are open submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Google "Nickelodeon writing program". It will take you to the right page, but you'll have to wait until January (iirc) to enter. Always keep a look out. Comedy Central did an open cartoon submission pitch last year. I made 2 animatics for it (neither was that funny). I didn't get picked but the NDA won't be lifted until the end of the month.

Cartoon Network, NBC, hbo, fx have all had open submissions in the past.