Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He named a character Die Hardman in 2019 and I can respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Compare Kojima to any other video game personality who does press conferences, they stand up there and talk about how many more pixels they're pushing in their newest game or try to redefine what a microtransaction is. Meanwhile Kojima talks about games like an artist talks about paintings-- he talks about process and tries to create something that the interpretation is more in the hands of the player. It's weird and awkward and provocative, he's refreshing in an industry run by MBAs.

Although I do wonder what it's like to have to work for him

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
If anyone has made these stupid interactive pixel things into 'high-art' it's probably Kojima.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Bedshaped posted:

If anyone has made these stupid interactive pixel things into 'high-art' it's probably Kojima.

Eh, imo Yoko Taro and Miyazaki both rank over Kojima in that regard. Kojima is art in the college sophomore definition. Neither do stream of conscious fever dream like Kojima though. Kojima is also more innovative at gameplay.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd put Yoko Taro in the college definition too except he finished his art degree and said 'nah gently caress it'.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Neither do stream of conscious fever dream like Kojima though.

I can't think of any part of any Kojima game I've played which I would describe as "stream of conscious fever dream".

I haven't played Boktai though. Is Boktai really fuckin weird?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gripweed posted:

I can't think of any part of any Kojima game I've played which I would describe as "stream of conscious fever dream".

it made you go outside. In the sun!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gripweed posted:

Boktai isn't really a Kojima game, though it does have shades of MGS story in that there's a pair of twin rivals that follow in their father's footsteps. They are good, but not fever dreams.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, actually the Colonels codec calls during the Arsenal Gear part of MGS2 are stream of consciousness. because they're just the random connections being made by a failing AI being released to the player unfiltered

And the vampire part of the PS2 version of MGS3 is a nightmare, not actually a fever dream, but if someone called it a fever dream I wouldn't quibble.

So Kojima games do feature a stream of consciousness, and a fever dream. But one each, and they're in separate games, and there's no stream of consciousness fever dream anywhere

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

OK, actually the Colonels codec calls during the Arsenal Gear part of MGS2 are stream of consciousness. because they're just the random connections being made by a failing AI being released to the player unfiltered

And the vampire part of the PS2 version of MGS3 is a nightmare, not actually a fever dream, but if someone called it a fever dream I wouldn't quibble.

So Kojima games do feature a stream of consciousness, and a fever dream. But one each, and they're in separate games, and there's no stream of consciousness fever dream anywhere

You forgot about The Sorrow boss in MGS3

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say the whole Sorrow thing fits the bill.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Gripweed posted:

:ok:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

puve posted:

You forgot about The Sorrow boss in MGS3

That's a haunting, not a dream.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think anyone's talking about an actual 'dream'. More that those sequences represent Kojima's pure Freudian id or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's like Ocelot says at the end of MGS2; "There's no such thing as magic or the supernatural, only cutting edge technology! And ghosts, ghosts are real. But not the ghost in my arm, that's actually cutting edge technology"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lmao I forgot about that whole thing with Ocelot's arm, Metal Gear Solid is so good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Macaluso posted:

Lmao I forgot about that whole thing with Ocelot's arm, Metal Gear Solid is so good

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mzbundifund posted:

He named a character Die Hardman in 2019 and I can respect that.

Sometimes when I’m feeling blue during the day I whisper “die hardman” to myself over and over again... and it does nothing for the depression but I have ocd and so must.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Didn’t the arm thing turn out to be a lie he made up and he hypnotized himself to believe it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve Yun posted:

Didn’t the arm thing turn out to be a lie he made up and he hypnotized himself to believe it?

Yeah. That's why you get the reveal in MGS4 that it's a robot arm when he takes his jacket off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve Yun posted:

Yes but it was real in MGS2 I think.

He took the arm off and used nanomachines to take Liquid's personality out of the arm and into him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve2911 posted:

Yes but it was real in MGS2 I think.

He took the arm off and used nanomachines to take Liquid's personality out of the arm and into him.

No, the only source for that is the inaccurate and error-ridden Metal Gear Solid 4 Database. There is nothing in the games to suggest that he switched arms between 2 and 4. It was always a robot arm

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gripweed posted:

No, the only source for that is the inaccurate and error-ridden Metal Gear Solid 4 Database. There is nothing in the games to suggest that he switched arms between 2 and 4. It was always a robot arm

The MGS4 database is official though, regardless of if there are errors in it. And I’m pretty sure it was explicitly said that the robot arm happened between 2 and 4.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't we physically see the arm in 2?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RatHat posted:

The MGS4 database is official though, regardless of if there are errors in it. And I’m pretty sure it was explicitly said that the robot arm happened between 2 and 4.

"Official" is meaningless, it contradicts the games. The Database is garbage

Steve2911 posted:

Don't we physically see the arm in 2?

He rolls his sleeve up to the elbow in 2, revealing what appears to be a transplanted human arm. In 4 he takes his jacket off, exposing his entire arm and torso, and you can see that it's a robot arm that looks like a real arm below the elbow, with a fake transplant scar

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
the arm was all gross in mgs2, plus liquid's voice actor (cam clarke) took over when the arm spoke. typing that out made me realize just how loving batshit mgs was.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love any plan that hinges on you convincing everyone that your arm is possessed by an evil ghost.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It was totally Liquid's ghost possessing him in MGS2, (because Ocelot was The Sorrow's son which gave him a deeper connection to the spirits n poo poo) and then in between MGS2 and 4 he had it cut off and replaced with a prosthetic because being possessed by your former boss sucks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

It was totally Liquid's ghost possessing him in MGS2, (because Ocelot was The Sorrow's son which gave him a deeper connection to the spirits n poo poo) and then in between MGS2 and 4 he had it cut off and replaced with a prosthetic because being possessed by your former boss sucks

leading one to wonder why he specifically got Liquid's arm and stuck it on his stump in the first place

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's no evidence of an arm switch, and there is evidence that it's the same arm(the skin pattern and fake scar on the robot arm in MGS4). If there was actually an arm switch, then there should be some mention of that in the game itself. Maybe there is, god knows there's hours of Codec conversations and such in MGS4, I doubt I've heard it all. But until someone can prove that the arm switch is referred to in the game itself, it was the same arm.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

There's no evidence of an arm switch, and there is evidence that it's the same arm(the skin pattern and fake scar on the robot arm in MGS4). If there was actually an arm switch, then there should be some mention of that in the game itself. Maybe there is, god knows there's hours of Codec conversations and such in MGS4, I doubt I've heard it all. But until someone can prove that the arm switch is referred to in the game itself, it was the same arm.

the database is in the game

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

That's a haunting, not a dream.

I didn't say it was a dream

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m still in a dream

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the database is in the game

The database is an app that was released separately that can be accessed via the game. But it's rife with errors and is not in any way an accurate or canonical source. the Database doesn't count.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlestonJew posted:

MGSV was my first Metal Gear game and I enjoyed it so much I looked up what happened to all my Diamond Dog friends after the 80s and this part was especially :wtc:

The Huey part just made me laugh a lot

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The database is an app that was released separately that can be accessed via the game. But it's rife with errors and is not in any way an accurate or canonical source. the Database doesn't count.

Nice meltdown

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

yeah, you get to it through the game

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

grieving for Gandalf posted:

leading one to wonder why he specifically got Liquid's arm and stuck it on his stump in the first place

convenience I guess, it was close by and conveniently kept in the cold. Plus you now have a genetically perfect arm to do sick revolver tricks with

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The arm in 4 looks nothing like the one in 2 though? Like the one in 4 is robotic from the wrist up, and the one in 2 is fleshy all the up to slightly past the elbow at the absolute least. Aside from Liquid's voice actor taking over, it also makes way more sense from a thematic / narrative perspective given the weird interplay of technology and actual "magic" in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The arm in 4 looks nothing like the one in 2 though? Like the one in 4 is robotic from the wrist up, and the one in 2 is fleshy all the up to slightly past the elbow at the absolute least. Aside from Liquid's voice actor taking over, it also makes way more sense from a thematic / narrative perspective given the weird interplay of technology and actual "magic" in the series.

The skin texture doesn't go all the way up like it should, but it still has the transplant scar in the exact same place. And it makes more sense because every other magic thing in MGS2 turned out to be a lie that Ocelot had a hand in. Fortune wasn't magic, Vamp wasn't actually a vampire, Ocelot wasn't really possessed by a ghost. There was real magic in MGS1, with the psychic and the ravens and all, but it was all a ruse in MGS2.