Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye finish puttin' on tha cursed -6 pair o' clawcovers o' Magic {+Fly}!
_Oops, tha feels deathly cold!
Totally worth the 350-ish gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

I learned a valuable lesson today about spriggan air elementalists, and remembering they exist.

Edit: Don't know why the image won't embed.

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 6, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You're using the shortened Imgur url, not the actual image location. You want this:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it gluttony to be bummed out Oka doesn't prevent the damnazooka automulch of crossbow bolts after getting it from Gnoll archeologist box, finding archery gloves almost immediately?

I mean, it does feel like a nerf to Oka+Damnazooka because the old version gifting you ammo would still get you at least some. This way it really feels like a specialty tool rather than something I could really expect to rely on through the game.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who was it that was working on the underhound.eu guys to host gooncrawl? I will help you persuade!!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Okay, I played a whole game with the test build:
pre:
araganzar the Slayer (Abomination Archaeologist)   Turns: 63723, Time: 04:05:11

Health: 228/228    AC: 41    Str: 34    XL:     27
Magic:  7/19       EV: 32    Int: 14    God:    Hepliaklqana [******]
Gold:   2698       SH: 22    Dex: 25    Spells: 0/48 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +2 Maxwell's thermic engine {flame, freeze, rF+ rC+}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   u - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   M - +10 plate armour "Kekeiger" {rF+++ Int-3 Dex+2}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   G - +1 hat of Uludy {*Contam +Fly rElec rPois}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   Z - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   Y - +4 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
MR       +++..                  V - amulet of Opyagiwn {Acrobat rF+ Dex+3}
Stlth    +.........             
HPRegen  1.88/turn  
MPRegen  0.16/turn
Got Thermic engine which helped with starting rF-- and let me test riposte. It's quite dicey getting past that and no MR per level early on. I had to take Hep because I had a -1 cursed short sword until like D8.

Later you are a powerhouse and I wasn't even wielding a large shield or 2H weapon (you can do both). Hep hexer pet does Mass Confusion constantly so Boots of the Assassin were pretty ridiculous.

Made a few fixes, mainly to crab language. I dunno that this is adequately tested but I feel good having played a whole game on the build without using wiz mode or encountering anything disastrous.

edit: on current gooncrawl
pre:
You puncture the slime creature! The slime creature hits you!
 Two slime creatures merge to form a large slime creature.
_Two slime creatures merge to form a very large slime creature.
on D5. I have seem some OOD in this game but wtf....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 7, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Got a game crash, maybe related to the new spell book? Not sure:
pre:
#6  0x000055faa5d087b6 in _BreakStrToDebugger (mesg=mesg@entry=0x7ffd35594610 "ERROR in 'spl-book.cc' at line 109: 
ASSERT failed: book of 45 out of range 0 (0) .. (int)ARRAYSZ(spellbook_templates) (44)", assert=false) at dbg-asrt.cc:807
No locals.
#7  0x000055faa5d08a3d in die (file=file@entry=0x55faa62babf1 "spl-book.cc", line=line@entry=109, format=format@entry=0x55faa632e498 "ASSERT failed: book of %ld out of range 0 (%ld) .. (int)ARRAYSZ(spellbook_templates) (%ld)") at dbg-asrt.cc:867
        tmp = "ASSERT failed: book of 45 out of range 0 (0) .. (int)ARRAYSZ(spellbook_templates) (44)", '\000' <repeats 1961 times>
        mesg = "ERROR in 'spl-book.cc' at line 109: ASSERT failed: book of 45 out of range 0 (0) .. (int)ARRAYSZ(spellbook_templates) (44)", '\000' <repeats 1925 times>
        args = {{gp_offset = 48, fp_offset = 48, overflow_arg_area = 0x7ffd35594ef0, reg_save_area = 0x7ffd35594e10}}
https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/crash-araganzar-20190607-102550.txt

edit: it's happening when I hit $ to see how much gold I have (and present a shop list) - trying to get book 45 out of 44?

Yeah there's a Book of Reaving in the bazaar. I suspect this is related to the book enumeration in book-data.h and maybe the MAX_FIXED_BOOK value but it looks like Reaving was added like any other book and it was added to the enum before BOOK_OF_NECRONOMICON which is the last book.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 7, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
yeah, I'm looking into it, I can see there is a description missing somewhere:

edit: so it looks like it needs to be added to items.txt which exists for multiple languages. So I added a description for the default(english) and we'll see if that fixes it. It will only happen if when that book generates in a shop so it's hard to test.

I suspect it went on some hidden list when the bazaar was generated and then when I hit $ it went through the shops to see what I had marked. When it got to book of reaving it probably pulled the description in case I decided to inspect the book from the $ list.

Eventually we'll just remove the book again since it's there for testing rather than add it for every language. I'm not sure that's it since it looks like a too many books situation rather than a book description missing situation. But If you are playing gooncrawl in french or something and your game crashes let me know!

edit: yeah I made bookshops on the test server until I got one with Reaving in it and I also made one on the floor and I was able to hit $ before and after actually visiting the shop and search for the book, look at it, view the description, etc. So this looks like a more rare crash than I thought. It doesn't affect reavers because they instantly absorb the book into their flesh when they start the game.

I have to get into work but if anyone else gets a crash please post it here with the .txt file for the crash from your morgue (there is a morgue link in the main lobby).

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 7, 2019

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Well as crashes go at least this one isnt too hard to avoid. At least I didnt take gooncrawl down again!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
A game I saved last night on .kelbi is crashing when I attempt to open it this morning:

code:
Unfortunately your game crashed.

book of 45 out of range 0 (0) .. (int)ARRAYSZ(spellbook_templates) (44)

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Aaaand I apparently spoke too soon.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it makes you feel better the way it does hardcoded lookup through the Lang file ready to crash if it wasn't update is ugly as gently caress

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure what happened during the update, but I reloaded my save from yesterday and I've apparently changed from a minotaur into a spriggan, is there anyway I can regain my powerful cow self?

pre:
 Your Fighting skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 15!
 Your Long Blades skill decreases to level 2!
 Your Maces & Flails skill lost 7 levels and is now at level 15!
 Your Armour skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 11!
 Your Scuttling skill gained 2 levels and is now at level 10!
 Your Stealth skill gained 4 levels and is now at level 8!
 Your Shields skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 14!
 Your Evocations skill increases to level 2!
 Welcome back, vorless the Sea monkey Archaeologist.
Old morgue: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/vorless/vorless.txt

And if that somehow is overwritten:
pre:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-841-g83519d6e5e (webtiles) character file.

vorless the Shatterer (Minotaur Archaeologist)     Turns: 46065, Time: 02:17:22

Health: 149/198    AC: 43    Str: 35    XL:     20   Next: 29%
Magic:  19/19      EV: 15    Int: 15    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1244       SH: 21    Dex: 22    Spells: 19/19 levels left

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Gooncrawl 0.23.2173 may come with some shrinkage. Is it possible you left your minotaur logged out standing in shallow water?

Every patch is going to have some very minor and not at all game affecting issues like books not having descriptions or cow men being changed into itty bitty keebler elves. :dealwithit:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Do you still have your horns and hooves and all that? Because I am really enjoying the visual image of minotaur waking up one morning and realizing that he is only one and half feet tall anymore.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Vorless posted:

I'm not sure what happened during the update, but I reloaded my save from yesterday and I've apparently changed from a minotaur into a spriggan, is there anyway I can regain my powerful cow self?

pre:
 Your Fighting skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 15!
 Your Long Blades skill decreases to level 2!
 Your Maces & Flails skill lost 7 levels and is now at level 15!
 Your Armour skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 11!
 Your Scuttling skill gained 2 levels and is now at level 10!
 Your Stealth skill gained 4 levels and is now at level 8!
 Your Shields skill lost 6 levels and is now at level 14!
 Your Evocations skill increases to level 2!
 Welcome back, vorless the Sea monkey Archaeologist.
Old morgue: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/vorless/vorless.txt

And if that somehow is overwritten:
pre:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-841-g83519d6e5e (webtiles) character file.

vorless the Shatterer (Minotaur Archaeologist)     Turns: 46065, Time: 02:17:22

Health: 149/198    AC: 43    Str: 35    XL:     20   Next: 29%
Magic:  19/19      EV: 15    Int: 15    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1244       SH: 21    Dex: 22    Spells: 19/19 levels left

This likely got caused by grey elves being added to the middle of the enum list for species instead of the end, pushing your minotaur save's enum slot into the slot currently occupied by spriggans. I have no clue if fixing it will fix your save, and you should probably be happy your save still works.

This may also be causing problems with book of Reaving, since that was added in the middle as well (and also may be causing the array size issues since by adding it to the middle it also wasn't added as the last fixed book in the enum list, so the game still probably assumes there are only 44 books and shifted everything).

Edit PSA #2: Always add new things to the ends of enum lists or stuff breaks.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Vorless posted:

fr: no longer content to simply screw with your stats, Jiyva now has a small chance when doing so to change your race
fr: if you are a worshipper of a race Zin hates and you pray at an altar Zin will convert you to human after accepting you

This is likely an enumeration problem with the new species. I think I found this, SP_GREY_ELF was added to the middle of the species enum in species-type.h while abomination was added to the end.

Looking at that source file, I see this in the enum list:
pre:
SP_CENTAUR,
    SP_PROMETHEAN,
    SP_SPRIGGAN,
    SP_MINOTAUR,
    SP_DEMONSPAWN,
    SP_GHOUL,
    SP_TENGU,
    SP_MERFOLK,
So everything got pushed down one level. Spriggans became Minotaurs, Tengu became Merfolk, etc.

I've commited this to gooncrawl so hopefully that will be corrected when the server updates.

edit: just saw FK's post above, I've also moved book of reaving to the bottom of the enum list.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 7, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From personal programming experience, I'm pretty sure you're correct there, Floodkiller. The specifics depend on the save format, but I'm pretty sure it just saves the number of steps down the iterator to figure out what race it's supposed to display and what values it's supposed to use. It's nearly as obnoxious as resizing an array in a program that saves pointer values... but only nearly.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
here's the link to the crash log:

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/tylertfb/crash-tylertfb-20190607-130311.txt

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Do you still have your horns and hooves and all that? Because I am really enjoying the visual image of minotaur waking up one morning and realizing that he is only one and half feet tall anymore.

Unfortunately no, all my innates were updated along with the proficiencies. On the other hand, I'm probably the most heavily armored spriggan to ever exist:
pre:
vorless the Warrior (Spriggan Archaeologist)       Turns: 46066, Time: 02:19:19

Health: 114/114    AC: 39    Str: 35    XL:     20   Next: 29%
Magic:  19/22      EV: 22    Int: 15    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1244       SH: 20    Dex: 22    Spells: 19/19 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   k - +6 demon whip of Yfiuxt {speed, rElec MR+ Str+4}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   b - +3 shield {reflect}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    +   h - +7 plate armour of the Barber Surgeon {-Cast rN+ Str+5}
rPois    .         Spirit   .   W - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   O - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   a - amulet of faith {Faith, !P}
MR       +++++     NoCast   +   U - +4 ring of protection
Stlth    ..........             D - ring of Divine Intervention {rF+ AC+1 Str+4 Int+4 Dex+4}
HPRegen  0.29/turn
MPRegen  0.18/turn

@: no status effects
A: very small, unfitting armour, horns 2, talons 1, slimy green scales 1
}: 1/15 runes: gossamer
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion
And gloves which aren't showing up there for some reason:
pre:
e - the +2 pair of gloves of the Barber Surgeon (worn) {rC+ Dex+4}.
e: wait now that I read it again, I totally still have horns, I'm some sort of minotaur/spriggan crossbreed

Vorless fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 7, 2019

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I cannot wait to see what happens if you get swapped back and become a tiny Minotaur with buggy Horns 4 or something.

And hell yeah Spriggan with those loving defense numbers, haha.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
FR: a desecration mechanic for Prometheans. Defile a shrine, take some enemy-based penance, get a reward. Or at least bump up some skills to +-0. No reason an ancient precursor Titan should be so bad at magic. Also, give them back Invocations, but make it a permanent -5 for flavor. Something. Anything. Decent starting stats are not interesting enoguh to make up for the loss of gods. Prometheans are boring as sin.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That was already a problem when they were still called Demigods and honestly, without axing them entirely, it probably also isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Personally, I wouldn't miss them much. Bogart is right: they are boring as sin, because god choice, god conducts and specific rewards are pretty much one of the most central mechanics of Crawl short of "press button to move." Cutting out a critically important mechanic that will often make or break any given character in exchange for something as intrinsically boring as slightly higher starting statistics is... well, frankly, it's not a good exchange, from a gameplay perspective.

What I'd support would be making them into the good-aligned equivalent to Demonspawns that I really always thought they should be. Keep everything else the same, if you have to, but make at least the three good gods available to them.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The whole idea was that some people Really loving Wanted boring atheist ubersmech race and I still think More Is Better racewise and there's no reason why they can't keep it and why we can't implement Altar Defiling Punk Goblin as a new race.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Demigods were already in the game when it was still being single-manned by Linley Henzell, so for once we have a bad idea here that can't be laid at the feet of the awful Crawl community.

Teal posted:

More Is Better racewise and there's no reason why they can't keep it and why we can't implement Altar Defiling Punk Goblin as a new race.
I don't disagree with this, though. I just wanted to go into a bit of detail about what the problem with the former Demigods actually is, if only to help figure out a way to fix it: they remove a lot of flavour, complexity and variety from the game and do nothing to really offer any kind of replacement for it.

Except for their niche as a challenge race, the issue is that they really add nothing unique to the game. Even the challenge of it can be easily imitated by just not picking a god. If not for being grandfathered in, I think they would've gone the way of High Elves long ago. Any real replacement for them will first need to think of a way that makes them interesting in a way of their own.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There were a bunch of ideas thrown around, including being able to basically gift yourself magic stuff and randarts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of my desire to switch the demigod gimmick to promethean or whatever was so it would free up demigod to actually be something cool and so people could still have their boring as gently caress godless thing for whatever reason

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Doesn't bcrawl have a pretty decent Demigod implementaton? I tried DgGl for that sudden death thing they had going but I died to a hobgoblin and frilled lizard at XL1 so I really didn't get the Demigod Experience.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I won my bcrawl tourney game against all odds. I didn't think I had a good strategy for the Vault or Abyss runes so I decided to try Slime Pit for the first time. I burned a bunch of consumables unsuccessfully attempting to kill the boss, so I gave up and went to Vault. I went with the "get rF+++ and read immolation scrolls" approach which was kind of dicey but working okay until a warden hiding behind a bunch of poo poo sealed the stairs. I didn't have any teleport or blinks left so I just started running to the edge of the level and summoning plants to try to lose all the stuff chasing me. I think I miraculously survived with like 3hp when I finally managed to run away/kill everything and rest up. A very undeserved win!

I'm still not that confident about which 3rd rune to go for on a melee dude, advice appreciated. From my limited experience, I don't like doing Abyss on non-fast characters that can't just run away from everything, and/or don't have a way to ninja the rune.

Also to continue the conversation, bcrawl's demigods are kinda cool but I still didn't really like playing it. You get a god power from a different god at every piety level: Chei's temporal distortion, summon plants, makhleb's? major destruction, okawaru's skill buff, TSO's divine shield, and someone (Beogh's?) smite. All your aptitudes are still -1 though so your skills are just aggressively mediocre from the midgame on. Invocations is +3 but I don't think you can really build around it because spamming the damaging stuff uses up your piety pretty fast. I just got 3 levels in it to have reliable self buffs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Generally it's Vault if you're more heavy armour and lacking in stealth, Abyss if vice versa and Slime is rAcid and ways to deal loads of damage quickly and widely (Makhleb's Greater Destruction is a risky but low-level method).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Get an antimagic weapon, go to Pan, and eviscerate Lom Lobon. :kheldragar:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
There's the old hell challenge run, where you enter no sub-branches except the vestibule and collect only and exactly the four hell runes before the orb-run.

I've done Zig+7, I've done full extended with mummies and demigods and nagas, but I've never felt masochistic enough to attempt that one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bringing back up my idea of demigods having human skill aptitudes but also developing 1 each of a random huge weapon apt/spellcasting apt/defensive apt

and drinking ambrosia confusion free

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

and drinking ambrosia confusion free
Can we at least give them this? I don't think even the "want it as a challenge race" people could object to something that fluffy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still kind of want a demigod species to develop a god connection in a demonspawn sort of way. like instead of random mutations you develop an inherent lineage that affects what powers you can do.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Whatever y'all did turned my formid into a gargoyle.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

BrandorKP posted:

Oops. And you're welcome?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

demigod should stay unable to choose a deity - they should BE THE DEITY and have 1 (or more?) followers that grow in strength and gain more powers as their/your piety grows. Sort of an alternate Beogh or Hep

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

My character is in a bazaar with 4 book shops and a food shop. The game crashes every time I buy a book and I find myself back at the entrance to the bazaar. I think I'm in an episode of The Twilight Zone. "A food shop and all the books I could ever want to read...wait...no....noooooooooooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Make new Demigods a species that can only worship themselves. Give them a starting piety ability to perma-enslave a scaling number of monsters as their devoted followers. Then they choose between randomly selected options for abilities and aptitude boosts as they gain XP, like an inverted Ru with Draconian/Demonspawn elements thrown in.