Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Oh man let me tell you about living in an asbestos lined dorm for 8 months when I was at DLI. One of the buildings was getting the asbestos removed when I finally moved out to one of the other dorms. Hopefully I don't end up with mesothelioma but all the warnings printed out and pasted around the dorm don't give me confidence.

Asbestos filled buildings are perfectly safe to live in... as long as you don't damage the walls. Expose the lining to the air and the risk goes up dramatically, but there's a reason asbestos filled buildings worldwide aren't torn down and that's because they are safer standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sounds like what you're really saying is "it's too expensive to safely remediate them all"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

The book answer is five magazines, according to a professional Soviet military consultant I know.

Cool. Thanks. Does your source have book that covers the subject a bit in depth? Because I'd love to learn more.
Now only 384 more pages to catch up on in this thread I just discovered!

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 9, 2019

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Cherenkov from betas flying through the water in their eyes

Yikes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Cosmic rays do the same thing to costronauts, although there's also a theory that it's due to direct interaction with the retina and optic nerves instead/as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apparently there's a rough test to see if you are currently being irradiated. Close and cover your eyes. Are there tiny flashes of light showing up anyway? If yes, find somewhere else to be.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Cool. Thanks.
Now only 384 more pages to catch up on in this thread I just discovered!

Don't forget about the previous versions in the goldmine!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Asbestos filled buildings are perfectly safe to live in... as long as you don't damage the walls. Expose the lining to the air and the risk goes up dramatically, but there's a reason asbestos filled buildings worldwide aren't torn down and that's because they are safer standing.

It’s double plus ungood on ships because one of the things that can disturb asbestos fires is vibrations. Like, asbestos lined air ducts or pipes that cavitate and rattle is bad.

Ships kind of move and jostle and rattle a lot.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Naval vessels aren’t exactly OSHA compliant.

The cancer that killed Steve McQueen he likely got via asbestos exposure in the USN

Also, that seems bad. I know "change" and "USN" don't exactly go together, but how hard would it be to bring navy ships up to international standard?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GotLag posted:

Sounds like what you're really saying is "it's too expensive to safely remediate them all"

Not neccessarily expensive, but dangerous. If it's inert and safely being held in the walls then it's fine, if cracks start showing or in the event of a fire/collapse then yeah, you gotta do something about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nebakenezzer posted:

The cancer that killed Steve McQueen he likely got via asbestos exposure in the USN

Also, that seems bad. I know "change" and "USN" don't exactly go together, but how hard would it be to bring navy ships up to international standard?

Money money money.

Let's design another F-35.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
All this talk about criticality accidents reminded me of that Soviet guy took a particle accelerator beam through his face and lived

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MikeCrotch posted:

All this talk about criticality accidents reminded me of that Soviet guy took a particle accelerator beam through his face and lived

Lol what?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

Lol what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The netherlands started to remove all the asbestos roofs over something like 10 years.
A study just finished in Denmark tracking schoolkids near an asbestos roof factory. The rate of cancer increased the closer their school was to the factory.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s double plus ungood on ships because one of the things that can disturb asbestos fires is vibrations. Like, asbestos lined air ducts or pipes that cavitate and rattle is bad.

Ships kind of move and jostle and rattle a lot.

So what I learned here is the time I spent as a volunteer at the Midway Museum will probably give me cancer like I always suspected. Nice to know.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

His doctor was brought in for the Chernobyl victims! They died.

Here's what an RBMK reactor looks like when nobody's playing silly buggers with the power.

http://englishrussia.com/2009/04/29/at-the-nuclear-power-plant/

The little blocks in that big round lid in the floor each weigh 700 pounds. Right before the reactor in Chernobyl exploded a guy named Valery Perevozchenko was standing on the balcony above that big room, looked down, and saw the blocks dancing up and down like the needles in that blunt needle frame toy when someone pushes their hand against them

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Or what about the reactor manager at Windscale who ended up looking through an inspection hatch in the roof of the pile...straight down onto the face of a graphite reactor core where 80 tons of uranium had been merrily burning away, and he lived to the age of 90 with no health effects? Radiation is weird...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

Or what about the reactor manager at Windscale who ended up looking through an inspection hatch in the roof of the pile...straight down onto the face of a graphite reactor core where 80 tons of uranium had been merrily burning away, and he lived to the age of 90 with no health effects? Radiation is weird...
windscale is the most british poo poo, instead of paeans to sacrifice and the russian spirit you get a dude on a roof closing the vents to deny oxygen to the fire and walking away

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I am running out of space, outside Kindle what is the best place to seek out legit e-books?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You should be able to get some at your local library. Apple also has its own ebook store.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SeanBeansShako posted:

So I am running out of space, outside Kindle what is the best place to seek out legit e-books?
There are a number of ebook services that libraries subscribe to: Hoopla, Overdrive, and Libby are the ones that come to my mind (they also e-loan movies, books, albums, comics, magazines, etc). Check out your local library and see what they offer.

While you're there, see if your library subscribes to lynda.com and its giant collection of training videos (mostly focused on IT, programming, design, and business skills).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

windscale is the most british poo poo, instead of paeans to sacrifice and the russian spirit you get a dude on a roof closing the vents to deny oxygen to the fire and walking away

And the key safety system only existed because one scientist would not shut up about it in committee so they added it to the plans and gave it an insulting nickname.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And the key safety system only existed because one scientist would not shut up about it in committee so they added it to the plans and gave it an insulting nickname.

And of course his name was Cockcroft

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

HEY GUNS posted:

Maybe this is the hitherto-unknown radiation protection properties of a Harris tweed three-piece and a nice set of brogues?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Siivola posted:

You should be able to get some at your local library. Apple also has its own ebook store.

Sadly I don't have a local library but thanks for the suggestions will look them up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

Maybe this is the hitherto-unknown radiation protection properties of a Harris tweed three-piece and a nice set of brogues?
"That's the throat of an open reactor core. Hm. Yes. Well. Quite."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
"Oh I say!"

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Excellent post/av combo

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T-34 applique armour projects

Queue: Challenger I, military use of scale models, PzIV Ausf.F-G, Schmeisser's work in the USSR, Kalashnikov's debut works, Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine, Medium Tank M4A4, Hellcat, Heavy Tank T29, Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39, Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s, Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR, HMC T82, HMC M37, GMC M41, Archer, T-29-5, Avenger I, FIAT 3000, FIAT L6-40, [M13/40, M14/41, M15/42], Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70, SU-85, KV-85, Tank sleds, Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers, IS-2 mod. 1944, Airborne tanks, Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors, SU-100, DS-39 tank machinegun, Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis, Sentinel, Comet, Faustpatrone, [Puppchen, Panzerschreck, and other anti-tank rocket launchers], Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto, Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther

Available for request:

:ussr:

:britain:

:911:

:godwin:
German anti-tank rifles
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

:finland:
Lahti L-39

:france:

:italy:

:poland:

:eurovision:

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 9, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here's a question, I know that back in the day the US served as a dumping ground for errant well-off Europeans that were inconvenient to keep around Europe, like non-inheriting sons. I also know from the Revolutions podcast that there was a weird community of revolutionaries floating around, roaming everywhere but the homelands they have pledged to liberate, as well as the occasional refugee from liberated homelands like Louis Philippe.

So is there anything significant all these foreigners did when the civil war kicked off? (aside from the Irish, I know about the Fenians) Did any errant nobles sign up for the war, or revolutionaries coming out to literally fight for freedom? Or alternatively fighting for the right of a bunch of richos to persist independently from greater moral responsibility? Or did they mostly escape the country after it started getting dangerous?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

Here's a question, I know that back in the day the US served as a dumping ground for errant well-off Europeans that were inconvenient to keep around Europe, like non-inheriting sons. I also know from the Revolutions podcast that there was a weird community of revolutionaries floating around, roaming everywhere but the homelands they have pledged to liberate, as well as the occasional refugee from liberated homelands like Louis Philippe.

So is there anything significant all these foreigners did when the civil war kicked off? (aside from the Irish, I know about the Fenians) Did any errant nobles sign up for the war, or revolutionaries coming out to literally fight for freedom? Or alternatively fighting for the right of a bunch of richos to persist independently from greater moral responsibility? Or did they mostly escape the country after it started getting dangerous?
they hung out with various general staffs on both sides and watched

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto,
Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
You're distinguishing them from emigres, right? Because, for instance, a lot of Germans came to the US in the aftermath of '48, and a bunch of them ended up enlisting in the Army when the Civil War started (Or, in the South, trying to get out of there (see the Nueces Massacre),

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

You're distinguishing them from emigres, right? Because, for instance, a lot of Germans came to the US in the aftermath of '48, and a bunch of them ended up enlisting in the Army when the Civil War started (Or, in the South, trying to get out of there (see the Nueces Massacre),
these are that europe-wide population of surplus dudes who were important enough to get to hang out with any general they wanted, but not important enough to do anything not-useless. Not ordinary immigrants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, all those good for nothings like Peter Osterhaus and August Willich and Carl Schurz.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Franz Sigel never 4get :CryingBadenianFlag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8M6qGvCevY

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I just discovered my province celebrates orangeman's day

How...bad is this

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I just discovered my province celebrates orangeman's day

How...bad is this

What's your take on William of Orange/Jacobitism/Catholicism/Presbytarianism?

But the Orange Order has always been big in Canada/Newfoundland, and the Orange Order was a big part of making Newfoundland part of Canada (a lot of Catholics supported independence)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto,
Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther.

I detect a certain anti-antitank rifle bias ;)