Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Odonata posted:

Dark Phoenix is going to bomb hard. I was in a theater with only 7 other people tonight. Ouch.
Pros- better than X3 and I think the fight scenes were the best of the x-men series. They made good use of charicters besides Quicksilver this time.
Cons- zero emotional impact. It wasn't bad, it was just some stuff that happened. The movie failed to sell Jean turning naughty at all.
Based on pre-ticket sales it was estimated to debut at $60 million. Thursday it was downgraded to $50 million. Based on current Friday showings it's now estimated that it will bring in $37.7 million domestic. Yikes.

quote:

My takeaway is that this is a story that will never translate to a 2 hour film. It needs a trilogy unto itself to give Jean a propper charicter arc.
It will never translate to the film like it did in the comics because in the comics it was a shocking twist that the X-Men team Mom turned into a genocidal maniac, and now it's literally the first thing anyone knows about the character. The average movie watcher probably thinks "Phoenix" is Jean Grey's x-men code-name. And that's fine: plenty of comic movies have retold famous comic stories with well-known endings, but the successful ones all realized that they had to bring a new take to the table when they did it. You have to find a good story to mine within the story of the Dark Phoenix, not just plow through the beats of Dark Phoenix and expect everyone to be excited at the idea of Jean Grey becoming evil.

I mean, say what you will about Last Stand, they at least understood that having Wolverine stab Jean Grey was a powerful emotional card to play. This movie doesn't even give us that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Crossposting:

David D. Davidson posted:

So Final thoughts. It ranks up there as one of the best X-Men movies and I'm glad Disney at least says they're willing to let it continue after the merger. I personally liked it more than Deadpool 1. My problems with that movie largely boiled down it me not liking the humor in that film, which is entirely subjective. Deadpool 2 on the other hand landed both in humor and emotionally. It also had better action. Leitch's style of shooting action takes cues from the works of Charlie Chaplin and it shows. This also makes him a perfect fit Deadpool whose abilities and attitude are rooted in comedy. Anyways on to the cast, Reynolds was great as always. Domino is a great character and as I said I would watch her solo movie. Josh Brolin was definitely the best choice for cable, even if he was a little short as the movie pointed out. and I would totally watch an X-Force movie with these characters.

Now on to the final film Dark Phoenix. or X-Men: The Last Stand*

*for real this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This is great.

I wish I could find the clip where they ask Zoe Saldana if she’s started filming Avatar 2 yet and she’s legitimately unsure if she has or not.

I love the Marvel movies but The state of moviemaking today is kinda hosed.

Apparently Brie Larsen didn’t find out she was shooting Endgame until she walked on the set, nor did she know she was talking to Cap and Natasha in the post-credits scene of her movie.

As an aside, did anyone get the impression the Captain Marvel post credits was taken right out of Endgame ala Civil War an Ant-man. I really thought we were gonna see that scene in the movie.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Samuringa posted:

I don't think anyone is going to think about adapting The Dark Phoenix for a long while.

I still say the MCU needs to do Dark Phoenix and Fantastic Four immediately to establish dominance and show Fox how easy it is to not get it so badly wrong. Like they did with Spidey.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Completely avoiding an origin story with Spider-man is the exact opposite of what had been done before.

There are other X-men stories beside Dark Phoenix. There are other mutants teams besides the X-Men.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
A lot of X-Men stories require you to already have a history with the characters and have already been filmed. It'll be interesting to see what marvel does with them since they weren't in the MCU in the beginning.

Edit: Actually they'll probably do the morlocks storyline.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 8, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disney owns everything so they can just open with The Brood but replace them with Xenomorphs. Aliens vs X-Men, coming to theaters 2021. Will gross 2.3 billion dollars somehow.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Disney owns everything so they can just open with The Brood but replace them with Xenomorphs. Aliens vs X-Men, coming to theaters 2021. Will gross 2.3 billion dollars somehow.

I've been so focused on comics I didn't realise Disney owned Alien and Predator.

I'd like to see a Genosha, Sentinels, and Master Mold X-Men movie, but only if it includes this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They should do a 2-3 movies with the original five kids. Semi-origin story then one with the Savage land and Kazar and Sauron, then move onto the new X-men of Byrne and Clairmont.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Back from Phoenix and I quite liked it. Weak antagonists, a lame Scott as per usual, and the mutant with the whip dreadlocks were about my only complaints.
For an apparently quick reshoot, I thought the train attack finale was really well done.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Or redo the Phalanx storyline where the Phalanx absorb pretty much the entire world and the only 'heroes' that are left are Forge, Sinister, Beast and Magneto who team up defeat it.

Although it might be good to set up Sinister as a bad guy before that

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Magneto, but he turns good so often it's hard to view him as an antagonist anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They should honestly stop trying to make him one. Morrison was completely wrong to turn him evil again, and ever since then the only times he's been interesting was when he was pretty much just a hero/anti-hero.

Like we've got so many other villains, we can handle having the one who's spent 40% of his appearances helping the good guys just stay a good guy.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

One of the weird things I found about Apocalypse was that Magneto kills millions of people, and then at the end all the X-Men are like "you're welcome at our house" just because he had a last second face turn. I only saw it once though so maybe I'm forgetting something, was he mind controlled, or just "influenced"? Either way, it's still hosed up for the X-Men to just invite him round for tea.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really think the MCU should go somewhere entirely different with the X-Men, like introduce them as being led by Magneto, with Xavier as a prior leader that isn't around any more.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Karloff posted:

One of the weird things I found about Apocalypse was that Magneto kills millions of people, and then at the end all the X-Men are like "you're welcome at our house" just because he had a last second face turn. I only saw it once though so maybe I'm forgetting something, was he mind controlled, or just "influenced"? Either way, it's still hosed up for the X-Men to just invite him round for tea.

I think they forgot about a lot from Apocalypse.

While I remember before my showing of Dark Phoenix there was an advert for 4DX with Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp and Evan Peters. They 'watched' Dark Phoenix and gushed about how much better it is with 4DX, I'm not going to go on a theme park ride to watch a film. These gimmicks can't die fast enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Apparently Brie Larsen didn’t find out she was shooting Endgame until she walked on the set, nor did she know she was talking to Cap and Natasha in the post-credits scene of her movie.

As an aside, did anyone get the impression the Captain Marvel post credits was taken right out of Endgame ala Civil War an Ant-man. I really thought we were gonna see that scene in the movie.

I didn't, because her asking "Where's Fury?" made sense within the context of Captain Marvel - he was a main character and clearly something of a friend to her. In Endgame, it wouldn't really serve any narrative function since we know Fury was dusted and didn't show up until the funeral scene.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Karloff posted:

I see this going one of two ways

1) Magneto tried doing the whole peaceful life thing, had a wife and daughter, and lost both of them due to shithead humans. Apoc knows how strong Eric is and how emotionally vulnerable he is, and recruits him as a horseman with the promise of revenge against all humans. The case could easily be made that he was influenced.

2) The x-men were being handily defeated until Magneto came around to their way of thinking and helped tip the scales. With out the combined Care Bear Stare, they wouldn't have been able to defeat Apoc. Again, Magneto is supremely powerful. Probably best to act as friendly as possible toward him.

I notice it's kind of what they do for this incarnation of the x-men. Magneto is on our side. Yeah, he killed some people, but they are nazis so who's gonna miss them. Oh wait, no, this was just a plot to get at the shielded helmet. Time to fight. Oh no, he hurt Charles and feels bad, let him go. Hey here's a message from the future, we need to work together. What, he decided to go all murdery again? First Mystique and now all humans? All right, let's shoot him right in the neck. Oh, he was just trying to prove a point? Well OK, he can go gently caress off again, but only if he behaves. Oh cool, he's been behaving. That's great. What? In trying to do the right thing and save an innocent person, he invokes the wrath of the central European version of hillbillies? And they kill his family out of sheer stupidity. Well, I'd call that justified reven- The whole planet? Again? OK, well if we appeal to his reason and...good side, maybe he'll tone down just a bit. Oh thank god. We were able to convince him to stop helping the genocidal maniac. "Does he still want to kill all humans?" Woah, let's not rush things, this man just helped save the world.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

Me, because it was set up as a scene from Endgame. Specific stingers that were scenes from another movie have been in the next movie, e.g., Cap 1 stinger was from Avengers, Doctor Strange stinger was from Ragnarok, and Civil War singer from Ant-Man, so naturally I thought the Captain Marvel's stinger, looking like it was a scene from Endgame, was gonna be in Endgame :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It probably was until the Russo's were like gently caress this movies gonna be 4 hours long we need to start cutting stuff

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Karloff posted:

That’s X-Men for you. You can forgive a genocidal maniac when it’s not your race he was trying to wipe out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dark Phoenix was fine.

How'd they make 12 movies and like 4 good ones?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

Dark Phoenix was fine.

How'd they make 12 movies and like 4 good ones?

The Deadpool films dont count.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Just came out this week that Gwyneth Paltrow didn’t know she was in Spider-Man Homecoming despite the fact that her character gets engaged to Tony in it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's literally how this conversation started lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Welp I totally missed that, my bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"What am I filming here?"
"It's for Marvel."
"Right but which movie?"
"Just say the lines, lady."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lobok posted:

"What am I filming here?"
"It's for Marvel."
"Right but which movie?"
"We have no idea."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
To be fair to Gwyneth, she probably has blood poisoning from sticking rocks in her vagina.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re minerals, Marie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Estimates for Dark Phoenix are now at $31 million. Biggest bomb of the franchise by far. New Mutants you're up to bat.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That's a bummer. It's not the worst X-Men movie at all.

Order from best to worst:
1. Logan
2. Days of Future Past
3. First Class
4. Deadpool
5. X2
6. Deadpool 2
7. Dark Phoenix
8. The Wolverine
9. X-Men
10. Apocalypse
11. X3
12. Origins

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Wolverine is a masterpiece compared to DP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Little Mac posted:

That's a bummer. It's not the worst X-Men movie at all.

Order from best to worst:
1. Logan
2. Days of Future Past
3. First Class
4. Deadpool
5. X2
6. Deadpool 2
7. Dark Phoenix
8. The Wolverine
9. X-Men
10. Apocalypse
11. X3
12. Origins

Yeah but it's really more that those terrible movies should never have made as much as they did.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My favorite bit from First Class is when Fassbender can't control his accent at the end. I'm hoping to see more of that in Dark Phoenix, but I'll probably be disappointed I'm sure.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

X-O posted:

Estimates for Dark Phoenix are now at $31 million. Biggest bomb of the franchise by far. New Mutants you're up to bat.

New Mutants can't fail if they never release it! :pseudo:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rhyno posted:

The Wolverine is a masterpiece compared to DP.

I'm sorry, Rhyno, the list is made

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

New Mutants can't fail if they never release it! :pseudo:

I still really don't ever see this movie being released. I think, at best, it'll be quietly dropped onto Hulu or the Disney streaming service, but even that is more money and effort than I think is worth.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
One day people will agree with me about Logan and when that day comes, I'll just laugh and laugh...:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As a 90s kid it's completely bonkers how the x men went from being Marvel's hottest property to audiences just going meh at it. On the other hand avengers endgame is in the running for highest grossing movies ever. What a world.